[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Certainly not, I'm just super busy with IRL stuff at the moment. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to work on it again.

EDIT: I can finally post what I've been working on IRL since it's kinda kerbal related. Strictly off-topic, my A2 Art Final Piece:

Any critique welcome (the deadline is end of this week though somewhat flexible) though should probably be done via PM since this is so off topic... but now you know where I've disappeared to haha!

Everyone using Interstellar's OST in their vids now :D

They even used it for an award ceremony on TV here in my country!

Great work Benjee! Hope the Endurance gets finished soon!

1b9RoDr.png

Modeled the command module and started tweaking the hab modules to turn them into cargo ones. Most of the difference will be through texturing though since the cargo modules seem to be darker and more weathered than the others.

TarTheDragon: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1DhFQzCfzY4V2RrWDdlZVNpTjQ&authuser=0 should contain a folder with all the Ranger stuff in it.

Edited by benjee10

http://i.imgur.com/1b9RoDr.png

Modeled the command module and started tweaking the hab modules to turn them into cargo ones. Most of the difference will be through texturing though since the cargo modules seem to be darker and more weathered than the others.

TarTheDragon: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1DhFQzCfzY4V2RrWDdlZVNpTjQ&authuser=0 should contain a folder with all the Ranger stuff in it.

7drHiqr.gif

I currently don't have those pictures; AFAIK Shryq is working on getting them in-game, I know nothing of Unity unfortunately :/

Righto. Most of my effort recently has been aimed at the IVA. Next thing I think is going to be getting those pesky landing gear to work, and then the Ranger will be something like 80-90% functional.

Almost impossible to say at the moment. We're all busy with IRL commitments I think and as always that comes first, but I should be able to get the majority of the remade Endurance done this week. Started texturing today but nothing to show yet aside from some baked AO maps.

''The current plan is as such. The main ring will be a single piece, and part-clipping will be used to attach modules onto the ring in any configuration you like, allowing for some flexibility as to the mission profile etc. Unfortunately this means launching the Endurance as one big piece, but there really isn't any user-friendly way of building it in orbit unless you have lots of patience and a monster computer. ''

Very exciting and thanks for doing it.

but Would it not be possible for the modules to connect via docking ports ? So it can be assembled. rather then launch whole which would feel a little silly.

-snip-

Very exciting and thanks for doing it.

but Would it not be possible for the modules to connect via docking ports ? So it can be assembled. rather then launch whole which would feel a little silly.

It would be nice, but the docking ports would need some sort of alignment aid so that they don't misalign even slightly. Even despite my extremely careful docking on this now-deceased ship, there was still some offset on the final port of the ring:

UTepGyTh.png

The centre-right docking connection is the culprit. While it was actually solid as a rock, trust me, it's irritating when you know it's there.

On top of that, there's the structural stability of the ship to consider if docking ports are what hold everything together; I fired the engines on Stargazer (yeah, that ship above) and it wobbled like a wobbly thing. That (in combination with the horrible part count) was enough to end this ship, sadly.

So yeah, a solid ring is probably the best idea.

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys, I'm looking forward to the end result :)

that makes sense, I dont know much about whats possible but since these are custom parts wouldn't it be possible to change some of the structural parameters, so its more ridged, custom docking ports perhaps ?, or what if we were to have something like KAS and add struts in EVA. im sure you could have them cleverly positioned such that they're not too visible.

Also i feel like there may be some size limitations launching the ship whole. if it were modular it could be made to scale (or close).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.