[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Thanks everyone!

There's two black marks on the rim of engine mount/fuel tank which should be covered up when the engine is rotated correctly.

Coming next update:

http://i.imgur.com/gX39mm5.png

http://i.imgur.com/KL2ElZN.png

Still need to work on colliders as they're preventing docking using the port on the underside at the moment. Otherwise it flies well. The rangers in the background are just placeholders and entirely non-functional just to get a sense of what scale everything needs to be.

Please Tell me you have asked others to make IVA's while you work your magic?

Like this guy: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96148-AeroKerbin-Industries-Modified-IVAs He can do IVA's rather well.

Thanks! Working on a rescale now. I'll release them when the engine effects are done, so either tonight or tomorrow most likely! Also, just tested out, the torque on the Lander and Endurance combined are insane enough that you can pull off orbital maneuvers using the Lander main engines when it's docked horizontally to the bottom of the ring, just like in the movie.

Also had a thought that could explain why the craft seem to have such insane delta-v: all of the planets we see them visit are deep in Gargantua's gravity well, so much so that on Miller's planet tidal gravity was enough to pull up waves thousands of meters high. This means that any craft leaving the surface would be getting an assist from Gargantua; fly up high enough and it just plucks you out of the planet's gravity. This also explains how Endurance was able to escape Mann's planet so easily, and why the Ranger needed a Saturn V to get off Earth and yet was an SSTO on other worlds. Obviously we can't model that in stock KSP, so I'll keep the delta-v as ridiculous as they appear.

And thanks Nertea, huge fan of your mods, Near Future Technologies is a staple of my career saves now!

Agh! I can't wait, Benjee!

I like the idea of the rangers having tons of Delta-V. Building off of what you said before, I'm also pretty sure the engines used on the rangers use a highly-advanced futuristic propulsion system, which I like to think is high in thrust and low in fuel consumption. Besides, playing KSP without having to worry about fuel can be pretty fun!

Looking great!

The trouble with that would be that the ring wouldn't be a complete circle. Because of the way the KSP node system works there would always be one part of the ring that wouldn't connect properly and you'd lose structural integrity and it'd be basically un-flyable. This is the only way to go as far as I can work out.

I made a DRE config, could you maybe include it in the next update?

@PART[landerBody]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]{
@maxTemp = 10000
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0
reflective = 0.0
}
}

@PART[landerVTOL]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
@maxTemp = 10000
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // full surface coating
reflective = 0.0
}
}

@PART[enduranceEngine]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
@maxTemp = 10000
}

Edited by _Augustus_

Is it possible to make Tars with robotics parts and some kind of small skinny parks? Btw nice mod hope someone manages to make Gargantua then someone will definitely make the kerbalized version of the movie.

Edited by Teto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.