[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Hello,

maybe someone mentioned this before, but there is a bug with the Lander when I want to use MechJeb and try to rendezvous another vehicle in orbit. The time warp is not working correctly, because it always says "Cannot warp while ship is under acceleration". But the ships engine isn't activated at all.

Has this bug been found already?

I also have a wish for future mod versions: could you please make additional attachment point on the top and the bottom of the Landers? The problem I am facing is, that I would like to attach two Landers to a rocket and bring them up in one flight. But this isn't working, because I am not able to attach the second Lander. The Lander has its only attachment points, where the 4 additional engines have to be placed.

Moe

Edited by MoPhil

I would like to attach two Landers to a rocket and bring them up in one flight.

Dailey1082 already put up screenshots of doing that, look at them to see how to do it. It is a relatively simple way of doing it, and gets the job done without having to play with the cfgs.

Dailey1082 already put up screenshots of doing that, look at them to see how to do it. It is a relatively simple way of doing it, and gets the job done without having to play with the cfgs.

Hi,

Dailey1082 has written three posts and only the one about the Rangers is with pictures. But on them I cannot see, how he attached both of them to the rocket. Or, in other words, I tried it the same way he did, but somehow it doesn't work. A little tutorial with the working steps would be nice. Generally it would be nice to know, how to attach two complete Pods onto each other, because this is necessary for the Lander, since it is not made of several parts, but the whole ship is the actual "pod".

Can you give us updates on what you are currently working on? How's shryq doing with the ranger?

So, apparently I'm a ...... and can't get the landing gear to work, so what I'm going to do is get everything that is working packaged up so you guys can have something to play with while I beat my head against my keyboard in hopes that it starts to work.

EDIT: Censoring on this forum is INTENSE 0_0

Here you go guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm4sqza1u02ywyf/rangerBuild_0.0.1.zip?dl=0

No landing gear or VTOL engines. There is an IVA, but you need RPM to get anything out of it.

You need some source of electricity (main engines run off liquid fuel and electricity), 8 RTGs was probably overkill, but it got me into orbit. I'd suggest adding a bit more MonoProp too. Other than that, LKO is stupid easy. Use a stock docking port on the back, and have fun!

http://imgur.com/a/wZ7eK#0

@Benjee: are we just using stock docking ports for now, or foreva?

Edited by Shryq

So, apparently I'm a ...... and can't get the landing gear to work, so what I'm going to do is get everything that is working packaged up so you guys can have something to play with while I beat my head against my keyboard in hopes that it starts to work.

EDIT: Censoring on this forum is INTENSE 0_0

Here you go guys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm4sqza1u02ywyf/rangerBuild_0.0.1.zip?dl=0

No landing gear or VTOL engines. There is an IVA, but you need RPM to get anything out of it.

You need some source of electricity (main engines run off liquid fuel and electricity), 8 RTGs was probably overkill, but it got me into orbit. I'd suggest adding a bit more MonoProp too. Other than that, LKO is stupid easy. Use a stock docking port on the back, and have fun!

http://imgur.com/a/wZ7eK#0

Oh my gosh bro!!!! We can wait till you fix the landing gear and also we can use stock parts. Can't wait to check it out!

Edited by L4rg3Singularity

Shyrq, your ranger exterior and interior looks fantastic!tho the back docking port is angled a bit off...http://i.imgur.com/IZPRrOH.jpg
The back of the ranger is supposed to be angled ~25 degrees from vertical, which it is. I would assume that the error lays with the ports on the Endurance. Last time I looked, they appeared to be at about 45 degrees, giving an error of 20 degrees. About what it appears to be in your image.

Awesome job! Though I do see how Coop nearly died test flying it, as FAR does NOT like to play nice with it. It basically wants to fly backwards all the time.

EDIT: Uninstalled FAR, works better now. It has a tendency to pitch up as the center of mass shifts backwards, and the torque can't cope, so I doubled the torque on the ranger body, and it plays nicer now. The left engine has a lower ISP than the right engine (3100s vs 4100s), so I changed that as well.

EDIT: Last time I edit, I promise. I've updated the CFGs, and they are downloadable here. It has everything else with it, so just extract it to your gamedata folder. This is entirely unofficial, I just wanted to help those who can't help themselves :wink:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_kd8yqrbpHDZE84Y1pLWVNzU3M/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Cripion101

What's wrong with the RCS? The angles are a bit odd, but they worked fine for me.

After the landing gear, I'm going to try to get the model closer to the 'official' one and see if that works better with FAR, as it's a bit flatter, wider wing, etc. Someone also said that the shovel nose works like a control surface, so that's something that can be added as well.

Can someone tell me what the torque on the Lander SAS is?

Hey Shryq! Looks good! Great to finally be able to play with the Ranger!

A few points: as mentioned before, the ship naturally torques up, so the reaction wheels could do with beefing up a bit. The RCS is also imbalanced; I think the front set could do with less power. Also, the craft as a whole is too big - I think I've scaled down the Endurance and Lander a little to make the ends of the connector tubes standard 1.25m. The Ranger needs to be about 0.8 of the size it currently is - this should be fixable with rescaleFactor but there's a bug with that where if your root part has rescaleFactor =/= 1 then it will change scale when reverting flight, so you may need to rescale just the main body in Unity. It means the stock port won't fit perfectly but the current size makes the Endurance and Lander look tiny haha!

Still, great to see it in game! Good job! IVA looks really cool too!

Lander torque is set to 100 with an electric charge rate of 50.

We'll use stock ports for now and decide whether or not to make custom ones later. At the moment I don't see any reason too other than for looks.

Edited by benjee10

Ok boys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gif3wrkunnxcuro/rangerBuild_0.0.2.zip?dl=0

Fixed engine ISP

re-balanced RCS (still wiggles a tiny bit, but is much better)

doubled the body SAS and monoprop

raised electricity to 500 units

Gave the cockpit a generator, equal to two RTGs - with no additional power it takes a bit of finesse to get into orbit, but is still pretty easy.

Moved the center of lift back 0.6m, CoL is now at or behind CoM at all times and fuel levels.

Scaled everything down to 80%.

When you put a docking port on the back, use local offset to hide the larger ring/cone at the base, and it looks just like the real one.

rBN7DNB.png

Vs the real one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113879533@N02/15558072398/in/set-72157648782189217

EDIT: EVA sorta works, you can get in and out, but it's glitchy due to the wing's collider, which is fixed with the new wing+landing gear.

Edited by Shryq

Just one other thing I've noticed Shryq, the rangers engines still have an exhaust trail

aNGdQzS.jpg

When is should be like this (Just illuminated basically)

hWRTGn7.jpg

The angles between the back of the ranger and docking ports of the endurance will also probably have to be coordinated between Benjee and yourself because at the moment they're quite off. Great work on the mod though, I was hoping for something like this ever since I saw the movie.

Uhm, the IVA is really weird. Gauges and stuff don't work and the walls are just really bright vibrant colors.

The colours are expected, as the IVA isn't finished, so there aren't any textures. Are you using RPM for IVA? Nothing really works without it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.