[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Hello, i've had this mod for the last few weeks, and I have really enjoyed seeing the amount of time and effort put into it. however there are a few quick questions/suggestions I should point out to make the mod closer both to the movie and to reality

- the isp of the lander's engines is inconsistent, please fix that if possible

- a few calculations based on what went on in the movie puts the Delta-V of the endurance at 120-130km/s, and that assumes gravitational slingshots are used for all relativistic burns. However in the mod the endurance only has a Delta-V of around 17km/s. this could easily be fixed by bumping up the isp of the plasma thrusters (after all, I did not expect 'Super-efficient' to mean an isp of only 4200s, when high-isp magnetoplasma engines can get up to 10,000 - 30,000s)

- the plasma thrusters have way too much thrust. since the endurance itself does not have to worry about landing or taking off on those engines, there is no reason nor to make the thrust more realistic. Atomic rockets says the top thrust a magnetoplasma engine can have is about 20kN, or a bit less than half the thrust of an LV-909 or LV-N

- perhaps a small patch to make this compatible with near future propulsion? like engines that run off liquid hydrogen?

- more realistic ranger and lander engines. the maximum isp possible with a closed-cycle gas-core nuclear thermal rocket is about 3060s, and for a fusion thermal engine it is about 4400s. how the ranger and lander can have such high-isp engines, I cannot understand. the Delta-V can be the same if more of the spacecraft's mass is propellant

- although it has probably been brought up before, TAC life support compatibility

Hello, i've had this mod for the last few weeks, and I have really enjoyed seeing the amount of time and effort put into it. however there are a few quick questions/suggestions I should point out to make the mod closer both to the movie and to reality

- the isp of the lander's engines is inconsistent, please fix that if possible

- a few calculations based on what went on in the movie puts the Delta-V of the endurance at 120-130km/s, and that assumes gravitational slingshots are used for all relativistic burns. However in the mod the endurance only has a Delta-V of around 17km/s. this could easily be fixed by bumping up the isp of the plasma thrusters (after all, I did not expect 'Super-efficient' to mean an isp of only 4200s, when high-isp magnetoplasma engines can get up to 10,000 - 30,000s)

- the plasma thrusters have way too much thrust. since the endurance itself does not have to worry about landing or taking off on those engines, there is no reason nor to make the thrust more realistic. Atomic rockets says the top thrust a magnetoplasma engine can have is about 20kN, or a bit less than half the thrust of an LV-909 or LV-N

- perhaps a small patch to make this compatible with near future propulsion? like engines that run off liquid hydrogen?

- more realistic ranger and lander engines. the maximum isp possible with a closed-cycle gas-core nuclear thermal rocket is about 3060s, and for a fusion thermal engine it is about 4400s. how the ranger and lander can have such high-isp engines, I cannot understand. the Delta-V can be the same if more of the spacecraft's mass is propellant

- although it has probably been brought up before, TAC life support compatibility

Pssst. the endurance is not real, and this is a game. there is always RSS if you want realism.

- a few calculations based on what went on in the movie puts the Delta-V of the endurance at 120-130km/s, and that assumes gravitational slingshots are used for all relativistic burns. However in the mod the endurance only has a Delta-V of around 17km/s. this could easily be fixed by bumping up the isp of the plasma thrusters (after all, I did not expect 'Super-efficient' to mean an isp of only 4200s, when high-isp magnetoplasma engines can get up to 10,000 - 30,000s

Remember, that this is balanced for stock ksp, which is 1/10 the size.

These are based off of what is shown in the movie, not actual technical values.

as it is now the thrust seems playable, it takes awhile to build up speed and isn't game breakingly unrealistic. it would difficult to get the endurance into orbit without hyperedit if the TWR was lowered.

Yeah, the stats will stay pretty much as they are - they're balanced for gameplay and to be similar to what's seen in the movie rather than realism.

Re textured Lander is in game with working RCS! Should be a release with the Mini Ranger soon.

Also, command module IVA:

Cf8ey10.jpg

MpDpoOP.jpg

I know you wanted to do it xxhansonmaxx but the Endurance modules, being older, have some weird scaling issues so I'd rather handle them since I know what scale everything is modelled/exported in. I didn't really know what I was doing so lots of the transforms are pretty hacky to get everything to work right.

I remember you asked for the model of the command pod in order to make the IVA, but it isn't quite as simple as that as to share assets it uses multiple models which slot together, and they were modelled at different scales to what KSP uses and to each other. So modelling an IVA based on one would result in misalignments in the game, which let you see non-occluded exterior geometry in the game. I know how I made it so I could work out how to model it not to have the window geometry poking through and stuff.

I feel like I explained that terribly. Oh well! Glad you like it hahaha!

I remember you asked for the model of the command pod in order to make the IVA, but it isn't quite as simple as that as to share assets it uses multiple models which slot together, and they were modelled at different scales to what KSP uses and to each other. So modelling an IVA based on one would result in misalignments in the game, which let you see non-occluded exterior geometry in the game. I know how I made it so I could work out how to model it not to have the window geometry poking through and stuff.

I feel like I explained that terribly. Oh well! Glad you like it hahaha!

The ranger needs animated parts and 2 more engine modes. What's shryq doing? :/

I don't know. But real life is always more important.

Release of Mini-Ranger, Re-textured lander, Ranger 3.75m adapter and command module IVA is live!

I must stress that KAS and RPM are REQUIRED for the mod to work correctly. I cannot offer support if you do not have those mods installed.

Release of Mini-Ranger, Re-textured lander, Ranger 3.75m adapter and command module IVA is live!

I must stress that KAS and RPM are REQUIRED for the mod to work correctly. I cannot offer support if you do not have those mods installed.

ben I think the endurance drains power way to quickly...when the engines are fired the prop monitors go out of power

some attach nodes for the Viper will be really nice

I may or may not found a bug, is this supposed to happen when you attach the adapter? https://i.imgur.com/IsYNZDJ.jpg

The intention is that you attach the adapter to the Ranger, not the other way round - otherwise the game tries to align the stack nodes even though they're different angles. I think it's unavoidable.

Okay i have to ask, where the hell is TARS

TARS is called SCOTT now!

I'm new to the whole modding aspect of Kerbal Space Program, and may I say, amazing mod fellas. I can't figure out where to find the link for the download for the entire completed ship though. I have asked around and people have said it was here, but I still can't find it. The Endurance is very hard to build from scratch out of the VAB. Please help.

I'm new to the whole modding aspect of Kerbal Space Program, and may I say, amazing mod fellas. I can't figure out where to find the link for the download for the entire completed ship though. I have asked around and people have said it was here, but I still can't find it. The Endurance is very hard to build from scratch out of the VAB. Please help.

The Endurance should be a stock spacecraft after you install the mod. :) Plus, the other spacecraft should be in there.

I must stress that KAS and RPM are REQUIRED for the mod to work correctly. I cannot offer support if you do not have those mods installedarrow-10x10.png.

Benjee i donwloaded the mod but the Lander Craft does not appear in my inventory??

;.;

Can you work on a custom docking port please cause the one from ksp looks ugly

There does exist a Ranger Docking Port included in the endurance mod. However the provided Ranger craft file does not make use of it.

Using the transform tool, you can also move the majority of the port inside the Ranger so just the ring sticks out so it looks better.

Unless you are asking for a different model entirely?

Was wondering if somehow you could make Interstellar Themed Space suites so the helmets and suits looked like the movie. If possible make them an a few colors like black and orange to :) Also if possible is there a way to make the helmets slimmer I hate the bulky Kerbal helmets.

Something strange I've noticed: I'm playing on an install with NEAR and the Ranger seems to always want to flip backwards while flying. In fact, it flies backwards much better than forwards, strangely enough.

Is there something that can be flipped to reverse this? For example, if the game thinks the Ranger body is like a capsule, which are designed to fall through the atmosphere with the bottom down, then perhaps the game thinks the back of the ranger is the bottom and therefore it travels more smoothly through the atmosphere backwards.

It doesn't work with FAR/NEAR yet. And most center of gravity is near the rear. I moded mine to bring back the weight to the front and it worked okay.

On the other hand the lander work great. so great that you don't need the ranger at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.