[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Hi all,

Apologies for lack of activity. Been really busy lately.

I've started work on a test version of the 'all-modules-combined' part, no engine mounts yet but it's just a proof-of-concept. I'm trying to make as many parts as possible share the same textures, so currently all parts of the Endurance share a single texture. This will probably change in future versions for greater detail and control but for now it makes for a pretty RAM-friendly part.

uncnSfb.png

Module-less version (for a more modular design, probably will not get tested for a while at least):

HcBHTgp.png

In terms of balance I think the hub/ring part will have a pretty hefty amount of torque. The engines will probably have quite a bit of thrust vectoring too. This probably isn't too realistic or screen accurate but I'd rather have an inaccurate playable mod than a super-accurate unplayable one.

Thanks for the comments again guys. Great to have enthusiasm for the mod!

It looks already really cool and i cant wait till i can get a download of it!

Can you publish some experimental versions? Like for example only the endurance or only the ranger or lander?

Maybe even the model, so that other people can edit and improve it.

But anyway, im really looking forward to release, good luck!

Huh... I am surprised no plugin-genius has tried to make the wormhole effect for KSP since this movie came out.

In any case, I am looking forward to when your first version is released! It guarantees awesomeness.

RoverDude is making one.

EDIT: Sorry read that comment wrong.

Edited by tygoo7

Alcubierre Drives are not Wormholes.

The AD drive compresses space-time on one side of the vessel, expanding it on the other side, allowing everything within the 'slope' to be 'pushed' along the space-time wave at faster-than-light speeds.

Wormholes are more akin to short-cuts in space-time => meaning, that they can be either natural or artificial. I was talking about a mod that created 'natural' wormholes for KSP, so we could fly the ship to a wormhole, and pop out of another wormhole, hopefully near someplace interesting.

could we ever expect a tars model, probably for mech jeb since that was his main use in the movie?

though it would be awesome if there was a player model.

If only there was someway to make TARS a playable probe-part- complete with walking and rolling animations.

Once I get round to IVAs I'll put TARS and CASE in the cockpits, maybe use RPM to give them some functionality as controls for mechjeb autopilot or something. A playable TARS would be fantastic but I have no idea how you would even begin doing that!

so according to the info on their website, the Endurance is powered by several tokamak fusion reactors that power plasma jet engines that would give it it's futuristic capabilities, solar cells are backup. the pods at 2,4,8,10 oclock positions are detachable to be carried down by the lander. is the project going in the direction where that will be possible?(possibly with a mm config to make it play with ksp interstellar for the fusion/plasma capabilities?)

I sent you a PM about the Ranger.

For the Ranger:

Command module

Fuselage

Hortizontal Engine x2

Vertical Engine x4

Landing Leg x4?

Aerodynamic section/wing/whatever those spiky prong bits are

RCS ports

Docking ports x2

I was thinking something very similar.

Cockpit

Fuselage:

-Front wedge piece

-Back piece with the docking ports and engine mounts

I think making the pointy parts as a single wing would work in regards to the game. Making the black bar that runs along the top, as well as the wings themselves one piece. The CoL needs to be pretty far back and I'm pretty sure that stock KSP uses the mounting point as the CoL of the part.

Then like you said, 4 landing legs, 2 docking ports, and then the RCS.

And obviously, the engines. Which, ironically, may be the easiest parts to make.

I'm not sure how worried you are about the part counts of these, In which case, the Landing legs could be built into the wing (did more research, it descends from the wing not the fuselage), as could the RCS into the fuselage.

EDIT: Quickly Fleshed out part of the fuselage (not done, obviously):

7c7PZv4.jpg

Edited by Shryq

Shryq: That looks good! I was planning to do all the art side of the mod myself but you clearly know what you're doing so if you want to model the ranger that's fine by me!

Orange Ignition: The current plan is to have detachable cargo parts which fit into the back of the Endurance's modules which can then be ferried down by the Lander. The modules themselves are never seen detached in the film and instead the Lander seems to be carrying some sort of crate. In terms of in-built generators, that's something we'll definitely be including but at the same time I don't want to make it ridiculously OP.

Currently zekew11 is working to get the full-ring model in game so hopefully we should have a test release for the Endurance part reasonably soon if it all works out.

Here's a render of the full ring assembly with hastily textured engine mounts:

maPtmkV.png

And in the meantime I've started work on the Lander:

pySt4nr.png

And exploded view showing the parts (fuselage, Main Engines L & R, and VTOL engine assembly):

vLHSq3R.png

WOW this mod looks just fabulous! In my opinion this is going to be one of the best ones ever made for KSP!

Once I get round to IVAs I'll put TARS and CASE in the cockpits, maybe use RPM to give them some functionality as controls for mechjeb autopilot or something. A playable TARS would be fantastic but I have no idea how you would even begin doing that!

About that whole playable TARS/CASE topic: Personally I have no knowledge to help you in whatsoever way with that. But a playable TARS reminded my of BahamutoD's critter crawler (http://gfycat.com/GloriousColorfulGreathornedowl). Obviously it is not the exact same thing but he did something with moving legs that extend and retract, so he might also be able to create a walking (or even rolling) TARS. If you want I could contact him and ask whether he would be interested! Or do it yourself if you prefer to do that!

Once again thanks for making such an awesome mod!

Thanks everyone!

KSP_ftw: I'll get in touch with BahamutoD once we get to stage of looking at other things to add to the mod. At the moment a playable TARS is pretty much at the bottom of the list because of the difficulty of setting it up and the limited amount of uses for it, but once the Endurance, Ranger and Lander are wrapped up I'll definitely look into it!

Some WIPs of the Lander's textures:

EeyV45F.png

9UcJzUr.png

zVCehcV.png

Total screen accuracy isn't what I'm going for here because I'm not experienced enough a modeller or texturer to do that. Instead I'm just trying to get the 'vibe' of the craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.