[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Ok, I found the problem; I had set CoL offset to something ridiculous but it didn't have any effect in 1.0. Looks like they fixed it for 1.0.2 Xd my bad guys! Hot fix should be up soon.

Update is up with fix and slight rebalance! Should be a bit harder to get the Ranger into orbit now, which is intentional since it increases the need for a stack launch like seen in the movie (the adapters should be in the next update)

Apparently the 1.02 aero sucks, so make sure you don't break compatability with 1.0!

Should fly even better with 1.0 now!

The Ranger doesn't use control surfaces, because they create a lot of drag.

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Ranger

I wonder if it's possible to create dual-mode RCS. That'd be interesting and would allow intake-air powered thrusters in atmosphere. I'll have to look into it.

When I've installed mods I've only used one module manager, usually the latest one, should I install older versions if they come with the mods or just the single latest one?

Just install the latest one :) I don't think it matters much if you keep both but it might cause some issues.

It is possible kinda, B9 has done this by using intake air powered linear thrusters that functioned like RCS.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to switch between them, like the RAPIER does, or if that only works with engines.

I just looked through several .cfg's and it looks feasible. Though I couldn't tell you if it would work or not.

Edit: I am attempting to create the .cfg for it at the moment, and can confirm so far that the MultiModeEngine module will work for RCS.

Edited by jarhead1145

I haven't tried but probably the engines will be a bit messed up. Feel free to try it I take no responsibility for whatever witchcraft happens

DDS textures have been provided by InsanePlumber and will be uploaded soon.

Edited by benjee10

My attempt was not a complete success, you can't use the MultiModeEngine module with RCS functionality, if you make it work like a regular rocket engine you can switch between Monopropellant and intake air. But I was only able to make it use either intake air or Monopropellant but not both in RCS mode. I don't know if there is a way to create a new module that can take the MultiModeEngine module and make it compatible with RCS mode.

Holy crap, dude.

I had seen this thread months ago and thought "I should check on that." after trying in vain to create a vanilla SSTO based on the Ranger craft.

I have no interest in doing the Endurance mission or using any other craft than the two Rangers, but I just spent a good couple of hours flying that craft around. While it's a tad "over compensated" for 1.0.2 for my tastes, a little tweak in the CFG should fix it to my liking.

Seriously man, amazing work here. It's my new favorite mod.

11212756_10206364549542985_1970331663671191976_n.jpg?oh=a6d4e17b84a197fda317c2e9af58a51a&oe=55DE3EA6

Oh, and I had absolutely no issues with the Ranger craft or parts. RCS worked wonderful, action groups worked when I assigned them. Gear, VTOL, intakes ect all work totally fine and it flies better than anything else I've flown in atmosphere.

Only thing I didn't do yet is docking, but I'm mad at the 1.0 update because I haven't been able to dock anything yet anyways.

I'm getting a strange issue with the ranger and mechjeb. When trying to do an orbital rendezvous the ship spins like crazy and the way to the target. Anyone else have this issue?

My god man, this mod is phenomenal! The modeling on everything is amazing! When can we expect integration with MKS/OKS, and a balanced tree? One of my favorite mods hands down.

I'm getting a strange issue with the ranger and mechjeb. When trying to do an orbital rendezvous the ship spins like crazy and the way to the target. Anyone else have this issue?

mechjeb is currently being fixed, but it may be an engine issue. make sure to report issues in the mechjeb thread, so Sarbian can fix it.

The Center of Mass for the Ranger craft file behaves rather strangely.

Upon initial craft launch, the Ranger's CoM is not directly over the VTOL Engine but appears to be in front of it, and retracting the gears would cause a noticeable CoM shift rearward, centering the VTOL thrust.

Following that, the CoM would shift back to the off-center position during the subsequent gear retract or deploy animations and shift back to being centered over the VTOL when the deploy animation finishes.

Intentional?

This is pretty cool! It would be cool to include some compatibility with RoverDudes USI.
My god man, this mod is phenomenal! The modeling on everything is amazing! When can we expect integration with MKS/OKS, and a balanced tree? One of my favorite mods hands down.

Thanks! Compatibility with other mods will come after all the parts are finished, can't put a definitive ETA on that due to IRL commitments.

That sounds like a mechjeb problem. The Ranger has enough delta v that doing orbital rendezvous manually should be fine since you can pretty much brute force it.

The Center of Mass for the Ranger craft file behaves rather strangely.

Upon initial craft launch, the Ranger's CoM is not directly over the VTOL Engine but appears to be in front of it, and retracting the gears would cause a noticeable CoM shift rearward, centering the VTOL thrust.

Following that, the CoM would shift back to the off-center position during the subsequent gear retract or deploy animations and shift back to being centered over the VTOL when the deploy animation finishes.

Intentional?

That seems to be a bug with the stock ModuleAnimateGeneric which I can't do anything about if you want the landing gear integrated into the body :/ the reaction wheels are enough to compensate for it though.

Another Small bug... the Ranger to Stack adapter no longer fits the new ranger :(

love this mode keep up the good work.

Yeah, it will get an update with the next full release hopefully!

Thanks everyone!

Alright, this mod is soooooooo cool,but I still got a problem . When I wanna dock a ranger to a target,MechJeb,RPM,docking port alignment indicator,mods like that are all useless cause they need a reference and the ranger doesn't have one.Though I can dock it manually,but it is too complicate. Do u have any suggestion about that?

PS:Im a high school student from China and Im just began using Forum,hope my poor English wont trouble u :)

Alright, this mod is soooooooo cool,but I still got a problem . When I wanna dock a ranger to a target,MechJeb,RPM,docking port alignment indicator,mods like that are all useless cause they need a reference and the ranger doesn't have one.Though I can dock it manually,but it is too complicate. Do u have any suggestion about that?

PS:Im a high school student from China and Im just began using Forum,hope my poor English wont trouble u :)

I think that's due to the docking port being 'built-in' to the Ranger instead of being a separate part - you can just dock it manually but if you don't want to it should work to stick a normal docking port on top of the Ranger one (hold alt and it will snap to the node on the back)

And don't worry about your English, seems pretty good to me :wink:

i've got a really strange problem with the lander... if i do a vertical take off at max thrust i loose electric charge.... if i do it at 90% i gain charge... i can't have the main engine and vertical at the same time or i run out of charge.. Main engine alone i can't throttle past 45% or again i loose charge... is this normal or have one of my other addins done something weird?

Well I think I get it , just thought it will be less cool if I add another docking port. Is there any possibility to "separate" the Ranger into the Ranger and Ranger's Docking Port?

And ,also thx for your praise ~:blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.