[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

The docking ports fitted to the back of my rangers don't seem to able to dock with any other docking ports. (on Mac) Any suggestions?

The ranger docks fine with the 1.25m clamp-o-tron, and by other docking ports do u mean the 2.5m one and the tiny one? Those definitely won't work...

Did anyone notice that Ranger's RCS ports placement is actually quite sub-obtimal?

No matter which direction you try to move, in addition to the desired vector, you translate downwards a little(quite a lot, actually), because the RCS ports on Ranger are almost exclusively placed on its top side. To top that, some of the RCS ports are actually angled slightly, not perpendicular to vessel's body.

Pitching/yawing with RCS on also generates hefty amount of thrust, especially when you pitch down.

This, and the fact that the docking ports for the Rangers are angled, makes docking the Ranger to the Endurance quite annoying.

Fixing this can't be too easy I guess, considering the highly geometric shape of Ranger.

I think the front RCS just needs to loosen up a little bit, considering that the ranger is back heavy.

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

Sorry for diverging the topic, but I've got to ask: How did you manage to get those sweet, sweet, dear, precious angles within the IVA?

Double click the panel on top of Scott

How did you add helmets to the kerbals?

I still don't know how..

I edited the config file :D. The helmet overlaps the window, so I cut it out in premiere

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

Made another launch scene, this time with kerbals involved :wink:

benjee10 can u add more camera angles in the IVA of the ranger?

Wow... that's awesome! Would love to see more scenes from the film done like this *cough*dockingscene*cough*

I will see what I can do about extra views. Shryq has given me the Unity files so I can play about with them. What sort of angles are you wanting?

Did anyone notice that Ranger's RCS ports placement is actually quite sub-obtimal?

No matter which direction you try to move, in addition to the desired vector, you translate downwards a little(quite a lot, actually), because the RCS ports on Ranger are almost exclusively placed on its top side. To top that, some of the RCS ports are actually angled slightly, not perpendicular to vessel's body.

Pitching/yawing with RCS on also generates hefty amount of thrust, especially when you pitch down.

This, and the fact that the docking ports for the Rangers are angled, makes docking the Ranger to the Endurance quite annoying.

Fixing this can't be too easy I guess, considering the highly geometric shape of Ranger.

I will try tweaking the RCS layout. I already have some hidden ones inside the body to try to balance it at a little.

Wow... that's awesome! Would love to see more scenes from the film done like this *cough*dockingscene*cough*

I will see what I can do about extra views. Shryq has given me the Unity files so I can play about with them. What sort of angles are you wanting?

The ranger docking scene from earth orbit would be really easy, the lander spinning docking scene would be REALLY HARD

Here's some angles

Javascript is disabled. View full album

its in the Endurance folder............

No.. I mean how do you edit it?

- - - Updated - - -

I will try tweaking the RCS layout. I already have some hidden ones inside the body to try to balance it at a little.

I'm working on the detach scene and the trailer..

All I need is a black hole..

:/

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I also need a recording software..

Benjee: How do I use Mechjeb to dock? *BTW I'm horrible at docking*

No.. I mean how do you edit it?

Oh and I also need a recording software..

The file is in Parts, Internals, internal.cfg

MODULE    {
name = InternalSeat
seatTransformName = kerbSeat1
portraitCameraName = Camera1
allowCrewHelmet = false //just change this to true for the helmets to show
}

I use OBS and Fraps for recording

The file is in Parts, Internals, internal.cfg

MODULE    {
name = InternalSeat
seatTransformName = kerbSeat1
portraitCameraName = Camera1
allowCrewHelmet = false //just change this to true for the helmets to show
}

I use OBS and Fraps for recording

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had a working save file with just the Endurance parked in orbit because I cannot dock for the life of me.

Try using hyper edit to get the endurance in orbit, auto docking can be done with mechjeb (it doesn't work very well with the ranger)

I dont know why but Ranger's aerodynamic shape didnt fit FAR. It keeps yawing and pitching while re-entering , and if I dont use the engine to slow it down, there's another Columbia

And , thx for making such a great mod, I' working on a project which will 'balance' this mod , and add life supprot resource to every manned craft . Just wonder if u need this.

The ranger doesn't work in FAR because FAR is realistic. The ranger has no control surfaces whatsoever. There's no way it could ever fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone having problems with the docking ports on the lander getting too hot and exploding? While trying to get to orbit in a single stage?

Yes. The heat generated by the engines isn't able to be moved around like it would be on a normal rocket. The lander is a single component, so all of the heat goes to it and it then transfers heat to the little components attached to it and fries them quickly. Normally there are lots of high mass components that can absorb a lot of heat, so you don't see that happening. Basically, think of the ship as a glass. Pour water (heat) into the glass and it'll eventually overflow and pour water all over the place. A bigger glass (high mass ship with lots of parts) can hold a lot more water.

Tbh, all the mods that add "cheat" type parts that double as fully (or nearly fully) functional rockets all on their own suffer from problems like this. KSP isn't designed to work that way, so trying to make super low part count ships (especially single component ships) can make it behave a little oddly. It sure is convenient for the processor though.

I just wish I could actually get the lander to fly with a load attached. Damn near need to put a lander on either side of the payload to make the thrust symmetrical though. Trying to burn the main engines under any other circumstances just leads to a spinning mess.. though, I did have fun trying to make orbit hauling a science lab straight up on VTOL engines with a KAS winch.

This is such an amazing mod. So cool. But does anyone else have problems with mechjeb losing its mind when controlling a ranger? Stuttering and wobbling all over the place? I did and I think I solved it by halving the ranger's torque. Also, I have found mechjeb's RCS balancer vital to even out the ranger's RCS.

The ranger docking scene from earth orbit would be really easy, the lander spinning docking scene would be REALLY HARD

Here's some angles

http://imgur.com/a/43sPN

Actually I did the lander docking with RPM, it's still quite hard :D

EDIT: I've decided to try the latest version, with KIS. I notice still that removing the KIS/KAS modules increase performance a good bit.

Interesting?

just checked, doubles FPS (from 20). hm..

more testing below:

KAS containers, the 2.5 m ones or something, do not lower fps.

Benchmarks:

Probe core: 75 FPS

Habitability: 75 FPS

Science Lab: 75 FPS

Habitat Module: 40 FPS (retracted) 80 FPS (deployed)

So far, it seems the Habitat module is laggy when retracted, but when deployed it is fine.

Edited by The Destroyer

i read through several pages but didn't see an answer, but sorry if this has been asked already.

in its current version, are you able to attach science and habitat modules to Endurance, and then detach and bring to the surface with the lander? i attempted to do this on my own in the game but couldn't figure it out :(

i looked for instructions on the main page but didn't find any. is this feature available, or not yet?

danke!

i read through several pages but didn't see an answer, but sorry if this has been asked already.

in its current version, are you able to attach science and habitat modules to Endurance, and then detach and bring to the surface with the lander? i attempted to do this on my own in the game but couldn't figure it out :(

i looked for instructions on the main page but didn't find any. is this feature available, or not yet?

danke!

Yes. If you look at the stock Endurance you can see a docking port and connected module inside (you have to clip the camera in) each of the non-engine modules. They are recessed inside.

Also, is anyone else having problems connecting the engines to the fuel modules? The nodes won't snap together.

Yes. If you look at the stock Endurance you can see a docking port and connected module inside (you have to clip the camera in) each of the non-engine modules. They are recessed inside.

Also, is anyone else having problems connecting the engines to the fuel modules? The nodes won't snap together.

Yep, found that too, use the stock craft file

I am having so much freaking fun with this. Anyone think this needs an ore processing/ISRU module, too? Could set up a fully self-sufficient base.

I don't think an ore mining module is needed. The current modules don't rely on fuel to produce power.

I'm having trouble building the Endurance as a whole part (Endurance, 2 Rangers, 2 Landers)

Explain?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.