[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Random question - Managed to do some exploring in the ranger and the Endurance, however the Viper is completely unflyable. I simply cannot get it up to a speed where it will take off, without the drag from the forward part of the craft causing it to flat spin. I've tried adjusting it with added surfaces and wings and weight, but to no avail.

Has anyone else managed to actually fly it?

it wont attach

try rotating the engine so it is oriented like the picture.

https://www.zenius.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/interstellar-poster-space-banner.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Random question - Managed to do some exploring in the ranger and the Endurance, however the Viper is completely unflyable. I simply cannot get it up to a speed where it will take off, without the drag from the forward part of the craft causing it to flat spin. I've tried adjusting it with added surfaces and wings and weight, but to no avail.

Has anyone else managed to actually fly it?

Have you tried using RCS?

Well I've flown the Ranger, the Lander, and gotten the Endurance to orbit with the help of a large booster stack. I love most things about the set and the way that the craft operate... with one GLARING exception.

The Ranger - lovely flyer to and from orbit. INCREDIBLY POOR with fine orbital maneuvering and docking. Mainly because of the weird center of gravity and the placement of the RCS thrusters in relation to what the reaction wheels are trying to do to stabilize the craft. The Reaction wheels and the RCS are FIGHTING each other for control and making it impossible to dock, particularly with the angled docking ports. (If Cooper had had to dock with this version of the Ranger the story would've been over before they left Earth orbit... )

Not only that, but the Reaction wheels alone are way too powerful in orbital maneuvers. Just as an example - the Ranger overcompensates at the end of any maneuver node if you're using Mechjeb. It does fine right up until the last remaining percentages of delta-V needed for the maneuver. Then (with or without RCS) chases the maneuver node endlessly around the Navball, continuously over-compensating and then trying to re-center. And with fine maneuver controls on, will still never find the maneuver node to finish burning.

Manually docking or auto-docking either way is a nightmare. Even manually the RCS is WAY over-powered and can't be damped down to reasonable levels even with fine control turned on. And don't even THINK about using Mech-Jeb's auto dock - angled docking port or regular, you'll run out of RCS long before it ever links up.

Since the RCS and reaction wheels are integral to the model, is there any way at all to add a slider that will damp down the power on the RCS and the Reaction wheels like there is for the VTOL thruster? A thrust limiter control for the RCS at least would help a great deal. If you could do it for both the RCS and the Reaction Wheel power it might make the Ranger into something useful for orbital maneuvers and make it possible to dock with it (both manually and with Mechjeb).

Edited by Logan.Darklighter

Well I've flown the Ranger, the Lander, and gotten the Endurance to orbit with the help of a large booster stack. I love most things about the set and the way that the craft operate... with one GLARING exception.

The Ranger - lovely flyer to and from orbit. INCREDIBLY POOR with fine orbital maneuvering and docking. Mainly because of the weird center of gravity and the placement of the RCS thrusters in relation to what the reaction wheels are trying to do to stabilize the craft. The Reaction wheels and the RCS are FIGHTING each other for control and making it impossible to dock, particularly with the angled docking ports. (If Cooper had had to dock with this version of the Ranger the story would've been over before they left Earth orbit... )

Not only that, but the Reaction wheels alone are way too powerful in orbital maneuvers. Just as an example - the Ranger overcompensates at the end of any maneuver node if you're using Mechjeb. It does fine right up until the last remaining percentages of delta-V needed for the maneuver. Then (with or without RCS) chases the maneuver node endlessly around the Navball, continuously over-compensating and then trying to re-center. And with fine maneuver controls on, will still never find the maneuver node to finish burning.

Manually docking or auto-docking either way is a nightmare. Even manually the RCS is WAY over-powered and can't be damped down to reasonable levels even with fine control turned on. And don't even THINK about using Mech-Jeb's auto dock - angled docking port or regular, you'll run out of RCS long before it ever links up.

Since the RCS and reaction wheels are integral to the model, is there any way at all to add a slider that will damp down the power on the RCS and the Reaction wheels like there is for the VTOL thruster? A thrust limiter control for the RCS at least would help a great deal. If you could do it for both the RCS and the Reaction Wheel power it might make the Ranger into something useful for orbital maneuvers and make it possible to dock with it (both manually and with Mechjeb).

Yeah, the Ranger is just a tad finnicky in that respect :')

Will see what I can do for next version. Maybe change some of the RCS transforms, and certainly weaken it overall.

I've definitely tried RCS and with/without torque enabled. The Viper was just way too sensitive. I cannot, at all, get it to a velocity where it will have a positive prograde vector, without it flipping on end because of it's own drag characteristics.

The Ranger is similar, though with slow enough speed and the 3rd engine underneath, you can manage. As Logan said, the COG on them may be off, but I also feel that there are drag issues with the fronts. It's simply impossible for me to maneuver the Viper - even the tiniest hair - without it just flipping around backwards, when it has enough speed to leave the runway.

The endurance however, is awesome. Over all, this is a great mod, just some delicate balancing to do.

I just want to add that the LANDER is actually PERFECT. It's balanced, stable, and forgiving in atmosphere, vacuum and orbital maneuvering. I've yet to try it with a load docked under the ventral docking clamp, as per the source material. But I think once I figure out how to do it, it'll work out.

So between the Endurance and the Landers, you've got a perfectly viable transport system to the outer planets just with those craft alone.

(BTW - have you looked into the possibility of adding code options for the Deepfreeze mod so the Endurance can have proper hibernation units?)

I'm still learning the game. Great mod, but here is what has happened so far.

I tested out the Viper, and tried to have it escape from Jool and achieve orbit. It wasn't able to do so, but It can still go FAR In terms of Delta V.

Side Note: When I activate the Lander's VTOL Engines, I can't hear any sound coming from it. Thoughts?

Question: All the colonization modules are getting IVAs next update, right? Also, the Habitat Assessment Unit Is bare bones, do you intend to add to it or add more modules?

Side Note: When I activate the Lander's VTOL Engines, I can't hear any sound coming from it. Thoughts?

I'm about to test a .CFG mod I've used before to add sound to another engine with a similar problem in development. I THINK it'll add a standard jet sound to the Lander VTOL engines. I'll come back in a few minutes after the game reboots and let you know if it worked. If it does, it's a VERY simple bit of code you can just copy/paste into your VTOL .CFG file and I'll detail how to find it and what to add in where.

EDIT:

Okay cool. It works!

If you can't abide silent VTOL engines, here's what you can do until Benjee and crew get a "canon" sound loop going.

Follow this folder progression (if you know how to install Endurance or other mods, this will look familiar)

KSP -> GameData -> Endurance -> Parts -> LANDER

In the LANDER folder, look for a file that says:

landerVTOL.cfg

Double-click to open that up, it should open with your standard text reader/editor.

This is the relevent section of code in the .CFG file:

PART

{

name = landerVTOL

module = Part

author = benjee10

MODEL

{

model = Endurance/Parts/LANDER/landerVTOL

scale = 1, 1, 1

}

rescaleFactor = 0.8

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

sound_vent_medium = engage

sound_jet_low = running

sound_jet_deep = power

sound_vent_soft = disengage

sound_explosion_low = flameout

TechRequired = experimentalAerodynamics

entryCost = 20000

cost = 5800

category = Engine

subcategory = 0

title = Lander Lift Engine

manufacturer = Brand Aerospace Engineering

description = A high efficiency engine designed to lift the Lander off the ground vertically.

The section I've highlighted in blue lettering above is the added section. This will simply tell the part "Use Squad's standard Jet Engine sound file". Just copy that bit of code and insert it in the section of the .CFG above just like it appears above.

(If you'd rather use a rocket motor sound, the code is easy enough to find. Just look for similar code in Squad's engine .cfg files or mods by other creators that use the stock sound files. I just like the jet noise for VTOLs even if they are rockets because it helps me differentiate between the two sets of engines. If I hear the wrong sound I know I hit the wrong action group! :P )

I recommend keeping a back-up of the original .cfg file somewhere safe, just in case.

And there you go - no more silent engines. Easy, eh?

Edited by Logan.Darklighter
Added in CFG code for stock Squad jet sounds for pasting into the Lander VTOL.

Just downloaded the 5.05 update and loaded the craft file for the lander, but the textures didn't load in. Instead all the parts are just white meshes, same thing for all the other ships as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't give up, it's an awesome mod. They're working on custom docking ports and are aware of the current hassle docking causes. My advice is to just wait it out and play around with the awesome Ranger, Lander, and Viper ships they've got so far. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

Hi everyone!

I used to use this mod but I got rid of it. RAM...

Anyway, is there a 1.0 version of this mod?

It's pathetic but I still use 1.0...

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, does anyone have a version that still uses KAS?

Maybe 0.90 or something?

I still use 0.90 KAS...

I have the latest version running in 1.04 and I have detected no problems. Other than the squirreliness of the Ranger when trying to dock to its assigned ports that is - but I mentioned that before. Mind you - this is in sandbox mode, so I can't speak for career. But I imagine it'll work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.