Devnote Tuesdays: The Empty Farm Edition

SQUAD

Once again, great devnotes! I'm happy to hear the tier 1 space center is being revised, even though it won't make it into 0.90. Editor gizmos, Kerbal XP, new Mk.3 parts, and the other upgradable facilities are plenty of features for a single update!

Dont forget the new biomes coming to all planets and more contracts

Why do people always assume a minority?

Well. Looking at Star Citizen and when they have votes out of lets say for easy of mind only 20,000 vote out of the 500,000+ users. You can kind of see where the minority part comes from even though there could be a lot more who would agree with what ever was voted on. Sadly this seems to be a common trend too. Just to many join and forget about it or don't know this place exists or they either don't have time to be involved as much. Lurkers are rewarded after all. Eventually. Maybe.

Anyways. Yeah. It is a bit sad that the tier one buildings are getting delayed. I do enjoy the style of it and it being a barn and all. Just hope it does not change to radically.

Happy to see you took the feedback about Tier1 to heart, i hope not the wrong way, i guess we just think you can do better then what you showed us (from a technical point of view, the idea with farm-like buildings is ok).

Also, you are really consistent with details in your devnotes, i surely appreciate that, keep it up.

If Tier 1 is being held back, what about the other Tiers? Why not keep Tier 1 as it is now for .90 but fix it up later as they planned. Just so we can go through all of them. I agree they need work, but functionally there isnt a difference so why not?

I agree. You need to spend recources to upgrade a space center so if Tier 1 is removed balance in career mode will be ruined.

Angle-snapping is improved now: holding LeftShift (remappable) will engage extra precision, reducing the angle snap interval from the default 15° to 5°.

Isn't 5° too much?

On other news, I’ve taken some time to sit down and actually have a proper play with the new construction tools, so I’ll leave you with a few screenshots of my latest mission to Laythe

It looks like it is possible to clip parts into the fuselage using new gizmo system?

The part where they have to be destructible is quite a lot of work, because I have to set up a collider array that closely matches the building’s shape

I still don't understand why you decided to implement destructible buildings. If I want to blow something up, I'll launch Battlefield, destructible buildings simply do not play major role in KSP.

and Porkjet, is once agian knocking it out of the park with the new MK3 models.

You said not all new Mk3 parts would be included in .90. Is there any chance we'll see all new Mk3 models in .90?

Anthony (Rowsdower): It’s funny how things can change from day to day. Not so long ago, I’d said on Reddit that the barn was staying and that modeling and textures would be looked into. Today, as you read, it turns out that it’ll be looked into so much that the whole tier one system won’t be ready for 0.90, after all. These are the types of changes that can happen - and happen fast - when detailed community feedback and continual internal monologues occur on a constant basis

I don't understand. If you care so much about community feedback, then why do you show your assets at the last moment? It would be more logical to show WIP content in order to gather feedback until it is too late and the only option you have is to start from the blank page.

Edited by Shuttle

I agree. You need to spend recources to upgrade a space center so if Tier 1 is removed balance in career mode will be ruined.

Isn't 5° too much?

It looks like it is possible to clip parts into the fuselage using new gizmo system?

I still don't understand why you decided to implement destructible buildings. If I want to blow something up, I'll launch Battlefield, destructible buildings simply do not play major role in KSP.

You're assuming things before you've had a chance to review the changes in the game, I suggest that before stating how wrong things are you wait until you've had a chance to play around with it. As for destructible buildings: I think that's typically a feature some people will like and some won't. The devs liked the idea and with the basic architecture being already designed for the upgradeable buildings feature they decided to implement it. If you don't like it you can turn it off, but please do recognise the fact that a lot of players will like the feature and that development decisions can't be made with any one person's personal vision in mind.

In the dev notes I talked about the fact that I'm working on a blog about constructive criticism, and this post is a perfect example of why I think it's needed :)

Edited by KasperVld

Regarding why the tier 1 buildings aren't in: Bear in mind they're the first thing a new player might see. If an intermediate tier was a bit iffy that wouldn't be so bad, but you need the first one seen to look good.

Regarding the wider reaction to them, an idea occurs to me for Squad showing preview stuff: don't show it in the game. Show screenshots from the 3d modelling program, test renders, that kind of stuff. That would more immediately make it apparent that it's still something being worked on.

You're assuming things before you've had a chance to review the changes in the game, I suggest that before stating how wrong things are you wait until you've had a chance to play around with it. As for destructible buildings: I think that's typically a feature some people will like and some won't. The devs liked the idea and with the basic architecture being already designed for the upgradeable buildings feature they decided to implement it. If you don't like it you can turn it off, but please do recognise the fact that a lot of players will like the feature and that development decisions can't be made with any one person's personal vision in mind.

In the dev notes I talked about the fact that I'm working on a blog about constructive criticism, and this post is a perfect example of why I think it's needed :)

I must say that after starting a game with no quicksave and no revert, if a launch fails and parts of rocket are falling towards the KSC I have a little flutter in my chest until I see that everything is safe.

I like that.

Before now I have had an unplanned dis-assembly right over the pad, which destroyed it. Harsh words were said in the VAB about the value of simulating launches that day I can tell you.

I like that too.

I`m going to wait and see what ends up in the game. One of the main things I like about a lot of recent changes is that they can be turned on and off...

In the mean time I`ll make a case for what I would like, or what I think would be more fun.

Currently I am hoping for really basic tier 1 buildings (and really shiny advanced tier 9 ones)

Also Congratulations on going red Kasper.

Really great devnote, very detailed and extensive. It's great to see that you guys have heard us, big thumbs up for that!!

I'm really more excited about the minor features than about the upgradeable facilities, the part highlight and the editor overhaul look really promising and a big upgrade for the user experience.

Keep it up guys!

So turn it off. They didn't implement it for you and other people who don't like it. They implemented for me and people who like it

its ok if some people don't like some features and it's just going to have to be too bad. Sorry.

Wait, if this update is called 0.9, then that means... OH MY JOOL! 1.0 and possibly MULTIPLAYER!

The devs had said repeatably there were still [quite] a few versions until 1.0. The versions will likely go .91, .92, etc, probably even doing .98.5, etc if more numbers are needed. Just because the version will be .90 doesn't mean we are very close to 1.0, just that the game is entering a new stage of development, and is generally scope-complete.

I would actually *prefer* if Squad took a little more time to develop 0.90- especially with some of the bugs that are still out there from 0.25, and may/may not have yet been squashed. For instance, the larger reaction wheels apparently used node size 1? (I hardly ever use them, at the reaction wheels are so OP'd I usually use smaller ones- but I'll have to look out for this now...)

Also, I would also like to see all the building tiers released at once.

Finally, I play with mods- which often break with new updates. So I actually *prefer* larger, more infrequent updates, as it means that I spend less of my time playing an outdated version of KSP because mods haven't updated yet (also gives me more time to bug mod authors to include new/desired features for their next update *cough* Nitrogen-electric engines for KSP-Interstellar so I can build Propulsive Fluid Accumulators *cough*)

Regards,

Northstar

Finally, I play with mods- which often break with new updates. So I actually *prefer* larger, more infrequent updates, as it means that I spend less of my time playing an outdated version of KSP because mods haven't updated yet

Just because you have to wait for mods to be updated doesn't mean the rest of us should have to wait for new releases.

Edited by Meecrob

Just because you have to wait for mods to be updated doesn't mean the rest of us should have to wait for new releases.

I agree that this should not be a reason, but I also agree that some of the more annoying bugs (and perceived as "easily fixed") might be addressed first (or at least acknowledged as not easily fixed).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.