[0.25] Stockalike RCS Block

JeffersonFlight

About: This is my first part made and released for KSP. A very simple and lightweight part which was inspired by something DasValdez did in a stream. Instead of having to clip or stack multiple RCS blocks you can have a nice and simple stock like part. It is a new single part, a five-way RCS block. It does not replace or modify the stock RCS block.

A picture showing it in reference to the stock RCS block(It is the top block)

hX5D9Sj.jpg

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Download:

Kerbalstuff Download

Curseforge Download

Installation: Simply extract the RCS blockv2 folder to your GameData folder within the KSP game directory.

Edited by JeffersonFlight
update with Curse download link

Is this a five-way RCS port? I have a couple variants on that as is, but if there's something that makes this part unique I'm happy to try it out.

Yes it is a five-way RCS port. The only thing I would think is unique about it is it retains a stock look. Same size as a stock RCS block and the same texture. I know there are packs that include five-way RCS ports and different sizes and looks. They are awesome when you have the parts to go with it. This really is for people that don't want to dig through mod packs for a single part.

Great start. I'm looking to see what can be the first little simple mod I can do to get started too. I have my 5-way RCS needs already met, but I'm sure there are some who could use one, such as not to did through a mod for one. Thanks

Thanks I really appreciate it Akron. We have such a great community here and so much is already made. Most of why I enjoy KSP so much is the modding ability it has, and the community. I personally go though and check out as many mods as I can, and allot of the inspiration comes from what already exist :D

Been looking for a good 5 way RCS to go along with the retractable one.

I have noticed a problem. your port uses the same part name as the stock RCS which results in a conflict between the two in the game. ( Both have name = RCSBlock ). Changing yours to be something like name = RCSBlockV2 should correct the problem :)

Maybe you could turn this into a modpack of stockalike parts that are expand on what we have. That would be awesome :) Dunno what other sort of things you could do for stock though. Make a more pointy 1.25m nosecone? (the current one only the large command pod properly and nothing else)

Maybe you could turn this into a modpack of stockalike parts

That's a good idea, you might do well to target the control part niche specifically. I would use a more aerodynamic 5-way like in B9, but stock-a-like. Another idea is a spaceplane nosecone with built-in RCS nozzles pointed forward, left & right, & up & down. I currently have a subassembly with 10 place-anywheres that I use but a single part would be preferable.

Been looking for a good 5 way RCS to go along with the retractable one.

I have noticed a problem. your port uses the same part name as the stock RCS which results in a conflict between the two in the game. ( Both have name = RCSBlock ). Changing yours to be something like name = RCSBlockV2 should correct the problem :)

It should be RV-105 for the stock RCS and RV-106 for my part, but I will double check :D
Maybe you could turn this into a modpack of stockalike parts that are expand on what we have. That would be awesome :) Dunno what other sort of things you could do for stock though. Make a more pointy 1.25m nosecone? (the current one only the large command pod properly and nothing else)
I will take a look at it and play around and see what I can do. I appreciate the suggestion.
That's a good idea, you might do well to target the control part niche specifically. I would use a more aerodynamic 5-way like in B9, but stock-a-like. Another idea is a spaceplane nosecone with built-in RCS nozzles pointed forward, left & right, & up & down. I currently have a subassembly with 10 place-anywheres that I use but a single part would be preferable.
I will also take a look at this. I think adding RCS ports to the nosecone is a great idea. I really appreciate the ideas and will do my best to make them happen :)

Make sure you're looking at the top of the cfg for the name = not in the description. :) the description listing was as you said, but the part name that the game uses internally is RCSBlock for stock :) Made that mistake more times that I can count :P
You are correct, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Should be fixed now :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

Also @The Yellow Dart I took what you suggested and did it. http://imgur.com/a/GVHeK#0 its a MK2 Cockpit with built in Five-way RCS blocks. But I can't release it without permission from PorkJet.

It's good but I recommend changing the center port to a pair of ports so that every direction has the same thrust, i.e. if you put one block on each side of the ship, there will be two "side" ports in each direction, but only one "fifth" port.

You could just make it twice as powerful, but I feel like it'd be more believable with a double nozzle, plus it'd distinguish your block from the stock version a bit better.

It's good but I recommend changing the center port to a pair of ports so that every direction has the same thrust, i.e. if you put one block on each side of the ship, there will be two "side" ports in each direction, but only one "fifth" port.

You could just make it twice as powerful, but I feel like it'd be more believable with a double nozzle, plus it'd distinguish your block from the stock version a bit better.

I really appreciate your suggestion. I also would like to say I really enjoy your mod. I'm trying to visualize what you said and I have an idea but the sleep deprivation is making it difficult lol here is a rough version http://imgur.com/a/Ppn7f#0

I like the idea for this part, but think the description is insufficiently "Kerbally"... so I rewrote it:

Kerbonauts complained about not being able to squirt monopropellant "every-which-way", so engineers added a fifth nozzle to the RV-105 Thruster Block. When asked whether they could add a sixth, they pointed out that there needed to be SOMEWHERE to attach it to the spaceship.

That is pretty good. This is the particular sub-assembly I was talking about, just a nose cone alone with RCS nozzles mounted in each direction. If you just made a simple 1.25 nosecone like this (this is from Necrobone's MRS mod) with some streamlined-looking nozzles pointing in the cardinal directions you wouldn't have to worry about permission, should be a pretty simple model to make. If you look just under the window on that cockpit there are those tube-like things, those are the kind of streamlined nozzles I am talking about, there are also some on the Mk1-2 capsule. I use the one with double ports in the last pic for a Dreamchaser-type plane that tends to want to veer off when launching vertically. This setup does not allow you to use RCS to roll but in atmosphere your control surfaces are plenty for that, and in space, you are usually using RCS for translational movement, not direction. You can generally roll just fine with reaction wheels, at least in the stock game.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yeah, I love mods like these. When you play with a lot of mods, it's super nice to have slimmed-down no-bloat mods that do the one thing you want and nothing more.

I did notice that the "side" nozzles are angled "up" slightly, though. Made some screenshots to maybe help clarify:

I used RCS Build Aid to measure the forces of various RCS maneuvers, and Editor Extensions to "vertically snap" the parts to the appropriate place. Notice in the 5th and 6th images how the nozzles point slightly off-axis and make the lander can spin when it's trying to translate. (Also kinda apparent in image 3.)

I don't mind how the side nozzles are point "out" and away from the craft, though, that feels like a nice little touch of realism that the stock part doesn't have. Thanks for your effort!

Edited by swankidelic
removed imgur html

I drew up what I had in mind for an RCS nose cone, since it is hard to describe what it might look like:

http://i.imgur.com/tVP6HGJ.jpg

Nice drawing man! It definitely makes it easier for me to visualize. I really appreciate you taking the time to do draw that. I have a few ideas and have started making them now. I'm going to put together two versions. One with actual RCS nozzles on the cone and one with the RCS nozzles textured in.

Yeah, I love mods like these. When you play with a lot of mods, it's super nice to have slimmed-down no-bloat mods that do the one thing you want and nothing more.

I did notice that the "side" nozzles are angled "up" slightly, though. Made some screenshots to maybe help clarify: http://imgur.com/a/P86l0

I used RCS Build Aid to measure the forces of various RCS maneuvers, and Editor Extensions to "vertically snap" the parts to the appropriate place. Notice in the 5th and 6th images how the nozzles point slightly off-axis and make the lander can spin when it's trying to translate. (Also kinda apparent in image 3.)

I don't mind how the side nozzles are point "out" and away from the craft, though, that feels like a nice little touch of realism that the stock part doesn't have. Thanks for your effort!

I appreciate you bring this to my attention and thank you for you kind words. I'm going to take a look now and see if I can't get it fixed.

*EDIT*

I updated it to be more precise. Should be fixed now I hope. My test looked good

Update with progress of fix

here is a rough version http://imgur.com/a/Ppn7f#0

Almost. You nailed what I meant about the center port, but the side ports can stay as they are (single). I had trouble illustrating my point without any pictures, but the idea is to balance thrust in all three dimensions.

EDIT: Here's a picture: clipbo11.jpg

Note that when a pair of five-way blocks are attached with only the center ports doubled, there are two ports facing each direction.

Edited by parameciumkid

Almost. You nailed what I meant about the center port, but the side ports can stay as they are (single). I had trouble illustrating my point without any pictures, but the idea is to balance thrust in all three dimensions.

EDIT: Here's a picture: http://i59.servimg.com/u/f59/17/27/45/47/th/clipbo11.jpg

Note that when a pair of five-way blocks are attached with only the center ports doubled, there are two ports facing each direction.

Alright thanks for clarifying. I appreciate the picture, here is a test run at it http://imgur.com/GzRs0xv Its not textured and may be a tab bit small. But all that can be adjusted. Thanks again for the great idea :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.