[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

I was thinking about using a linux install so I can Use a stable 64 bit client and have access to more memory. Any issues with linux? That made me think of something. What about a linux live cd with everything installed and setup already? You would still have ckan for updates aswell.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I have installed RO and all of the recommended mods. Since I installed this (on a clean copy of ksp), I've not been able to load quicksaves, revert to launch (revert to vehicle assembly still works), or access a probe from the tracking center (meaning once I go back to KSC, I can no longer control my probes). The issue is that whenever I try to load one of these, only the probe core appears with what looks like it may be strange aerodynamic effects on the one side of it. It says 'No connection' (remote tech), even though the craft should have a reflectron dp-10 and a dish. In map view, it also doesn't appear as if the ship is selected. The example craft is using an explorer core, and is in Low Earth Orbit. I'm running 32-bit with active texture management. I have no control of the craft in these instances.

http://imgur.com/a/QndTJ

Any help would be great!

Nope, because the telemetered time we receive from the spacecraft will be from 1.33s ago, so if the mission clock is based on the telemetry received from the vehicle, 1.33s is the only delay you'd have. Now if you compared the mission clock to a mission control clock, yes there'd be an additional 1.33s difference

Yeah, that's what I meant. But it's still just a suggestion :)

I have a question, I was watching the Orion test Launch on a delta 4. As I was watching the Launch the engines went into a reduced thrust mode, I understand why you dont want to make all or most engines throttle, but how can we work out a way to do something like that with RO, Because as as near as I can tell most engines do not throttle at all... so I think it would make since to be able to cut back to about 60 to 80 %.... I know with the 2nd stage of the satern 5 would have the center engine cut out, I think the easyest way to do that would be to cut the thurst by 20%

I am also curious about something in the same reguard. If the DeltaIV can only throttle to 60%... How is it the core stage continues to burn for so long despite, afaik the boosters throttlling down as well? ( could 've sworn I heard booster throttle up in the broadcast. ) Or do the boosters run at 100% with the core at 60% until separation? And that %40 gives it the ability to carry the second stage that much further...

Side note: Does RO allow crossfeed?

Edited by Motokid600

The Delta IV Heavy common core was able to throttle because it uses an engine capable of it. :P

RS-68 Essentially a simplified, cheaper and uprated single-use SSME (RS-25).

As for cutting engines, just tie in a command key to shut down the engines you want.

I am also curious about something in the same reguard. If the DeltaIV can only throttle to 60%... How is it the core stage continues to burn for so long despite, afaik the boosters throttlling down as well? ( could 've sworn I heard booster throttle up in the broadcast. ) Or do the boosters run at 100% with the core at 60% until separation? And that %40 gives it the ability to carry the second stage that much further...

The two side boosters throttle down temporarily when passing through maximum aerodynamic pressure to reduce stress on the vehicle. This doesn't last long before they throttle at 100% again.

As far as I know only the center core on the D-IV Heavy throttles down, that way the two extra common cores strapped on will run down their fuel first and when released the center will throttle back up if the launch calls for it.

The Delta IV Heavy common core was able to throttle because it uses an engine capable of it. :P

RS-68 Essentially a simplified, cheaper and uprated single-use SSME (RS-25).

As for cutting engines, just tie in a command key to shut down the engines you want.

So it reads the RS-68 can throttle down to 58%. Is there an RO config for such an engine?

I have a question, I was watching the Orion test Launch on a delta 4. As I was watching the Launch the engines went into a reduced thrust mode, I understand why you dont want to make all or most engines throttle, but how can we work out a way to do something like that with RO, Because as as near as I can tell most engines do not throttle at all... so I think it would make since to be able to cut back to about 60 to 80 %.... I know with the 2nd stage of the satern 5 would have the center engine cut out, I think the easyest way to do that would be to cut the thurst by 20%

Well, you could simply use the engine that Delta IV uses, RS-68A (comes with the AIES mod), it throttles in RO exactly as it does in real life. Some other engines in RO that also throttle to some degree (because their real-life counterparts do) are RS-2200, J-2. NK-33, NK-43, RD-170, RD-0120, RD-171M, RD-180, RD-191, and SSME, including the RS-25D/E variety of it (SLS core).

As for turning off engines mid-flight, there is a mod in the works that would facilitate that, so we should have this option in the future.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I have installed RO and all of the recommended mods. Since I installed this (on a clean copy of ksp), I've not been able to load quicksaves, revert to launch (revert to vehicle assembly still works), or access a probe from the tracking center (meaning once I go back to KSC, I can no longer control my probes). The issue is that whenever I try to load one of these, only the probe core appears with what looks like it may be strange aerodynamic effects on the one side of it. It says 'No connection' (remote tech), even though the craft should have a reflectron dp-10 and a dish. In map view, it also doesn't appear as if the ship is selected. The example craft is using an explorer core, and is in Low Earth Orbit. I'm running 32-bit with active texture management. I have no control of the craft in these instances.

Any help would be great!

Please provide your output logs as described by NathanKell:

The Logs

These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log

Edited by Hattivat

Actually, it's very much possible to just cut off an engine mid-flight. Throttling down to zero ("x" key) does that, too. The problem is to restart them after that. :) Not all engines can do that, either, and those that can usually need an ullage burn to do so.

Well ... now the rocket stays together (+++) but there is a stranger bug. I am getting aerodynamic failure of parts INSIDE of the shroud. It acts as if the shroud is not actually stopping the air.

With 0.9 coming out soon, it looks like my mars mission is doomed.....

Excellent suggestion, thanks. It didn't occur to me that the fairing walls would attach to another fairing base.

I'll see if it works tonight.

Well ... now the rocket stays together (+++) but there is a stranger bug. I am getting aerodynamic failure of parts INSIDE of the shroud. It acts as if the shroud is not actually stopping the air.

If possible, try to keep those parts away from the fairing wall. AFAIK, FAR uses a bounding box to determine what is inside the fairing. So it's possible for things to lie outside of the walls of the box. Not sure if the size of the box is based on the fairing or the fairing base.....

Oh dear, I'll probably have to test if this method still works then :/

In the meantime, the first suggestion from me is similar to Starwaster's - try making the fairings a bit wider, especially the top fairing base.

How it looks like installing RO will be:

rocket1.gif

What installing RO actually turns out like:

Ssme_schematic.svg

:D

I had prepared that and I was going to come asking for help, but I finally realized the solution was that I hadn't set my re-install of Kerbal to run in administrator mode. Works awesome, now! Like, wow, better than ever, actually!

Now where can I get clouds that work in v 0.25?...

- - - Updated - - -

Make a copy of the entire game folder and put it somewhere else so Kerbal doesn't automatically update. That's what I did with my older version of Realism Overhaul that I finally got working.

That picture above is what I found KSP x64 on linux to be like :D (But whoever reads this, don't feel too discouraged, it does work perfectly well once you put some effort into fixing everything - unlike on windows, at least it can be fixed.)

Clouds can be found here: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul You want the x86 release at the bottom.

On Windows it can be fixed, too. The flag goes like this: "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow" (remove quotes) and seems to work for most people. You can substitute the former for "-force-opengl" if you want lower RAM usage at the cost of performance (or if DX11 doesn't work). Worked for me so far.

As for the clouds, EVE works, but if you have memory to spare, try this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-%28RVE%29

Dragon01, could you please read the post carefully before assuming that someone is unaware of basic things? I was talking specifically about the x64 version. On linux you can use command-line magic to fix the x64 executable (yes, it's also broken in its default state), on windows you have no such option.

Err... you do. I'm aware what you were talking about, and "command line magic" can be done on Windows as well, just as easily. If we ignore 64bit lock problem (sufficient to say, it can be worked around, you just have to send a few PMs and search the forum), Windows 64bit executable can be stabilized by adding those two command line flags by the way of a shortcut. Not everyone knows how to do that, but it's actually pretty easy. On Steam, those go into "set launch options" dialog. That's what I was talking about and it works.

The "command line magic" on linux involves opening command prompt, navigating to the correct folder and running this script:

#!/bin/sh

position1=$(echo "obase=16; $(perl -n0777e 'print pos()-1,"\n" while /\x01\x00\x00\x00\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xC3\x41\x56\x41\x55\x49/g' "./KSP.x86_64") - E" | bc)

if [ $position1 != "-E" ]

then

echo "Patching Segfault out of the Rockets ..."

cp -n "./KSP.x86_64" "./KSP.x86_64.unpatched"

position2=$(echo "obase=16;ibase=16; $position1 + 5" | bc)

echo "$position1: 00" | xxd -r - "./KSP.x86_64"

echo "$position2: 00" | xxd -r - "./KSP.x86_64"

else

echo "This seems to be not a vanilla KSP executable"

fi

And this just part of what can be done to improve things. Nothing comparable to this can be done on windows. Dx11 may make x64 more stable, but it certainly does not really fix it. Don't spread misinformation.

Edited by Hattivat

That picture above is what I found KSP x64 on linux to be like :D (But whoever reads this, don't feel too discouraged, it does work perfectly well once you put some effort into fixing everything - unlike on windows, at least it can be fixed.)

Clouds can be found here: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul You want the x86 release at the bottom.

Ooooh. Downloading.

On Windows it can be fixed, too. The flag goes like this: "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow" (remove quotes) and seems to work for most people. You can substitute the former for "-force-opengl" if you want lower RAM usage at the cost of performance (or if DX11 doesn't work). Worked for me so far.

As for the clouds, EVE works, but if you have memory to spare, try this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-%28RVE%29

That... Is an incredibly useful bit of information! I gotta try this at some point...

Also, I saw that on the OP, and was super excited to try it, until...

>>Due to the sheer number of complaints about the current versions not working and/or causing people grief I've made the executive decision to

remove all downloads of the WIP RVE mod until I can produce a more reliable, stable and up to date version for all users.

In the mean time you can check the progress here on this forum thread.<<

Yeah. I was pretty upset at first, but upon reading about some of the bugs coming up on the thread, I think I'll stick to the other link until those bugs are resolved...

EDITED:

The "command line magic" on linux involves opening command prompt, navigating to the correct folder and running this script:

And this just part of what can be done to improve things. Nothing comparable to this can be done on windows. Dx11 may make x64 more stable, but it certainly does not really fix it. Don't spread misinformation.

Buuut, as things are, now that I've FINALLY got KSP working, I'm not gonna mess with it unless RAM issues get really big...

Messing with mods is like surgery. You gotta be really sure you want/need it!

Edited by Comet Tail

I was thinking about using a linux install so I can Use a stable 64 bit client and have access to more memory. Any issues with linux? That made me think of something. What about a linux live cd with everything installed and setup already? You would still have ckan for updates aswell.

I've tried Linux, and my only problem was finding good graphics drivers for my machine. But otherwise everything worked fine. As far as making a whole linux distro for KSP? That sounds like nuking the molehill...

Any help would be great!

That is bizarre, could you submit an output log? That'll help diagnose what's gone wrong.

Yeah, that's what I meant. But it's still just a suggestion :)

No problem! And besides, there's no way to add a time delay like that, since you'd have to halve the speed of light in RT, which still makes it a one-way time-delay, just a longer one-way time delay. It wouldn't be an accurate simulation.

How it looks like installing RO will be:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/rocket1.gif

What installing RO actually turns out like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Ssme_schematic.svg

:D

I had prepared that and I was going to come asking for help, but I finally realized the solution was that I hadn't set my re-install of Kerbal to run in administrator mode. Works awesome, now! Like, wow, better than ever, actually!

Now where can I get clouds that work in v 0.25?...

- - - Updated - - -

Make a copy of the entire game folder and put it somewhere else so Kerbal doesn't automatically update. That's what I did with my older version of Realism Overhaul that I finally got working.

With CKAN, it's actually a lot more like the first image. No more hours on hours of finding and downloading the right mods.

MMMMM Clouds!

This is why we have CKAN, people. :-)

THIS. Absolutely this!

Are you sure on the launch flag? Our testing didn't see any benefit to using the -no-singlethreaded part of the launch, we don't believe it actually does anything for KSP. It's updated in the OP, but if you're seeing benefit from using it perhaps we need to suggest that as another option.

I'm not spreading misinformation. For a lot of people (including me, I tested), it makes 64bit perfectly stable. At least on Windows 8 64bit. Some reported odd things happening to graphics (both in 64bit and 32bit, actually), at least one had DX9 actually run better, but those are isolated cases, likely related to graphic card peculiarities. In general, on a modern rig (which most 64bit ones are) it's confirmed to work.

The arcane Linux stuff is best left to those who can actually stand that system. I was forced to use it once, and unless I end up taking another programming course that uses it, I'm not gonna use it again (even for that course, I did all homework in MSVC).

Well, I don't know if -no-singlethreaded part is necessary or not. I have it that way, and it seems to work. I never tried removing it, TBH. It might be redundant, I wish those "hidden features" like DX11 and OpenGL modes were properly documented somewhere.

[Try the Unity3D forums, or Microsoft for Directx11 and openGL.org for openGL]