[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

A different question regarding the crashes.

My game is constantly running practically at the top memory limit so that random parts load textureless random crashes happen and things of that sort and even small natural memory oscillations can cause a crash. The problem is it seems that I can not affect this in any way for some reason. I am using the aggressive texture management release and tried to switch to the forced OpenGL. The memory usage just does not decrease. At least that is what is happening currently. What is wrong with it?

What else can help reduce the memory usage?

What is the name of the texture conversion utility that was mentioned a couple of times here? Will it help with the memory? Will it help fix the blank texture parts?

Why did not OpenGL mode help?

Thank you!

OpenGL mode should help, though I've found it breaks some stock UI textures, so I may stop recommending it.

What else can help reduce the memory usage?

Removing parts you don't use, by deleting their model and texture files.

Removing mods that aren't absolutely necessary (Part and appearance mods take up the most memory, sadly)

Downgrading the RSS textures

How much ram do you have? Is KSP's limit of 4GB the limiting factor, or is your system's RAM the limiting factor?

There may also be a bug in some of the mods that have updated to 0.90 that could be eating RAM.

What is the name of the texture conversion utility that was mentioned a couple of times here? Will it help with the memory? Will it help fix the blank texture parts?

In order: KSP to DDS Converter (needs DDS loader), yes, probably not.

Why did not OpenGL mode help?

No idea, I haven't tested -force-opengl extensively in this version to see if it helps with texture loading, or perhaps you've got the syntax wrong (did you check against the screenshot in the OP?)

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

http://prntscr.com/5jwowq

FASA Apollo seems to be all the wrongs size(and the RCS thrusters are weird.

My guess is TweakScale related problem. FASA might have changed the file names too
Yeah I've gotten that as well. Is this with the newest version of Tweakscale?

It's entirely likely that FASA's changed its model for those things in the most recent update. I'll give the FASA parts a once-over, likely it won't take much updating to account for the changes.

Felger

Thank you!

I have sixteen gigabytes of memory available in the system so it is definitely the game that is limiting me.

I will try to convert the textures and see what happens.

This is something that happens to me with a lot of mods in the two latest versions. The game just hits the memory limit and the strange thing is that Active Texture Management or Texture Replacer or the shortcut properties do not seem to affect it much.

How to fix the random textureless parts? They are quite annoying as they appear right on all crafts new and existing not only in the editor and that strange look just catches the eye immediately.

The syntax was right as the game output log stated clearly that it ran in OpenGL.

It did not change anything significantly either.

What should I do with it?

Edited by Kitspace

Thank you!

I have sixteen gigabytes of memory available in the system so it is definitely the game that is limiting me.

I will try to convert the textures and see what happens.

This is something that happens to me with a lot of mods in the two latest versions. The game just hits the memory limit and the strange thing is that Active Texture Management or Texture Replacer or the shortcut properties do not seem to affect it much.

How to fix the random textureless parts? They are quite annoying as they appear right on all crafts new and existing not only in the editor and that strange look just catches the eye immediately.

The syntax was right as the game output log stated clearly that it ran in OpenGL.

It did not change anything significantly either.

What should I do with it?

ksp for windows is only stable with the 32-bit client which is probably what you are using because there are a lot of problems with the 64-bit one. Many of the dependent mods in RO specifically state that they do not support the windows 64-bit client. The issue with the 32-bit client is that it is limited to 3GBs of ram so having 16 available makes no difference. The linux 64-bit client however is stable and it functions fairly well. I am even able to use the 8k DDS RSS textures. I am currently using it and testing RP-0. The only big issue I have run into is that texture replacer disables the RP-0 contracts for some reason, but you don't need to install it so its all good. Note I am using the .25 version of ksp and everything is installed through CKAN (except ven's stock revamp and the ven's-sxt patch).

HI! I have run into an issue. Whenever I launch the game it'll go through the Real solar system process (where it applies the addon, you can see stuff happening in the background). But it always crashes at the same spot in the process. I need help. Du you want the error.log or the output_log.txt?

I look at the original post at the Active Texture Management thread and read that it is actually expected to cut from a few hundreds of megabytes to a couple of gigabytes of memory usage and read from various sources that using a different graphic mode usually cuts it pretty much in half again. But when I try this with my game installation the effect is no bigger than the natural oscillations. The same thing happens with both the stock and the modded game just the textures are really compressed and blurry but the memory usage does not want to decrease. The only difference with mods is that it hits the limit quickly and issues start to arise.

EDIT: During initialization of the real solar system it will always crash on Editing body: Duna (6/17) PQS Duna. Always.

EDIT2: no longer crashes on Duna (6/17) PQS Duna. Now gets stuck on Editing body: Eeloo (11/17)

PQS Eeloo

Add PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend. Worth noting that it doesn't crash here, it just .. doesn't initialize.

EDIT 3: it seems to be random, but mostly crashes on 11/17 now. Do you need the error.log or the out_putlog?

please help! ;-)

Thanks,

Hoaz.

Edited by Hoaz

I look at the original post at the Active Texture Management thread and read that it is actually expected to cut from a few hundreds of megabytes to a couple of gigabytes of memory usage and read from various sources that using a different graphic mode usually cuts it pretty much in half again. But when I try this with my game installation the effect is no bigger than the natural oscillations. The same thing happens with both the stock and the modded game just the textures are really compressed and blurry but the memory usage does not want to decrease. The only difference with mods is that it hits the limit quickly and issues start to arise.

I think active texture management not doing much on top is because ATM compresses to DXT5. DXT5 is a DirectX thing and supported by openGL only via extension. Plus, if you convert all to DDS and use DDSloader there shouldn't be much textures left that can be converted.

Hey, I am having a bit of a dilemma.

I want the thin atmosphere of FAR, but not the flipping out on mechjeb ascents and shaking. Is there a way to thin the atmosphere (somewhere in the cfg change pressure) or does NEAR do that? Thanks.

EDIT: During initialization of the real solar system it will always crash on Editing body: Duna (6/17) PQS Duna. Always.

EDIT2: no longer crashes on Duna (6/17) PQS Duna. Now gets stuck on Editing body: Eeloo (11/17)

PQS Eeloo

Add PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend. Worth noting that it doesn't crash here, it just .. doesn't initialize.

EDIT 3: it seems to be random, but mostly crashes on 11/17 now. Do you need the error.log or the out_putlog?

please help! ;-)

Thanks,

Hoaz.

you are using too much ram find a way to shrink your footprint.

Hey, I am having a bit of a dilemma.

I want the thin atmosphere of FAR, but not the flipping out on mechjeb ascents and shaking. Is there a way to thin the atmosphere (somewhere in the cfg change pressure) or does NEAR do that? Thanks.

The atmosphere settings have nothing to do with it. If your rockets are flipping over then you have to reevaluate your design and/or your ascent profile. As for the shaking... Nothing much you can do about that other then limit your control authority so that mechjeb won't shake too much. ( I disable the ascent guidance a third into the launch anyway ). But other then that your rockets shouldn't be flipping over. Causes could be..

Too high of a TWR.

A late gravity turn

Too much control input

Short rockets are more prone to flip.

... Or all of the above lol. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Kinda need more information honestly. Post a pic of your craft and describe the issue in the general discussion thread and you'll get it straightened out. ( pun not intended )

Edited by Motokid600

Hello I have been using realism overhaul and real solar system since 0.25 and love it, but sine 0.90 Iv had this issue come up even with todays new fixes using ckan install of the dependencies.

screenshot4_by_kristheblade-d8axby6.png

I know that the parts are supposed to be re-scaled to reflect real life but only the pods seem to be affected, nothing else. Iv tried re-installing several times over the last few days with a clean install of ksp but the same issue keeps coming up. Everything else fits together though. (Only stock parts in this install). I cant seem to find anything on how to fix this issue. Have all parts been properly re-sized for 0.90?

how am I using too much ram? I have 18GB of ram.. more than enough lol... and I fixed the issue. IT was corrupt files.

Oh, the new kids who weren't here in the x32 "jurassic PC" era...

KSP runs as a x32 program (x64 is currently unstable for most people). That means that, no matter how much RAM your system has, your game can only use the RAM's addresses up to the index of 4GB. And that's competing with any programs that also use that range, including the OS; Which results in an actual usable range of around 3-to-3.5GB.

The atmosphere settings have nothing to do with it. If your rockets are flipping over then you have to reevaluate your design and/or your ascent profile. As for the shaking... Nothing much you can do about that other then limit your control authority so that mechjeb won't shake too much. ( I disable the ascent guidance a third into the launch anyway ). But other then that your rockets shouldn't be flipping over. Causes could be..

Too high of a TWR.

A late gravity turn

Too much control input

Short rockets are more prone to flip.

... Or all of the above lol. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Kinda need more information honestly. Post a pic of your craft and describe the issue in the general discussion thread and you'll get it straightened out. ( pun not intended )

Dont have any pics ATM, launches ok, but around 30-40KM, my rocket (which is tall, 1.3 TWR and turns at 1.5 kilometers) the rocket flips out into a spin around an axis. More of a wobble, actually around an axis. Mechjeb all the way usually, until circulization, as in RSS you cant start burning at apoapsis, you will plunge into the atmosphere.

EDIT: Tested, its not just with FAR. Stock aero gives me the same problem too.

Edited by GiantTank

Dont have any pics ATM, launches ok, but around 30-40KM, my rocket (which is tall, 1.3 TWR and turns at 1.5 kilometers) the rocket flips out into a spin around an axis. More of a wobble, actually around an axis. Mechjeb all the way usually, until circulization, as in RSS you cant start burning at apoapsis, you will plunge into the atmosphere.

EDIT: Tested, its not just with FAR. Stock aero gives me the same problem too.

1.5km is a little late ( though it still should work ) Try a 50 - 55 degree turn at 1km. 30-40km you say? Does the flip occur after staging? Try upping your turn end value. If it's too low your craft will struggle to meet it and overcompensate ( especially after staging ).

I would not let mechjeb take you all the way to orbit. I don't know how your doing it, but after the rocket is near horizontal it's a game of attitude control to keep your apo a good 15-30 seconds ahead if you. That can be done with MJ but it will fight you.

If its the first stage of the rocket flipping over... Have you tried adding fins? A good set of fins on the bottom of your rocket and its almost impossible to flip.

Edited by Motokid600