[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Is it a problem for me only or for somebody else too that the latest version of the game is pretty much unplayable simply because of running extremely close to the memory limit and accumulating memory rapidly even if one is just sitting there staring on the editor screen resulting in quite constant crashes?

How to fix this problem?

I posted this on the Active texture management thread providing an example of a nearly vanilla game crash and was pointed to an interesting issue with parts throwing errors and spamming the memory so fast that it can not be unloaded.

Can a similar problem be spoiling my full installs?

Why does the no texture bug appear while the texture converter and the Active texture management are supposed to prevent it from happening?

Why do not the shortcut properties help at all?

Here is the crash report mentioned:

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog

I hope this ridiculous memory consumption will be fixed somehow soon.

Otherwise even the vanilla game can be unstable for Windows users.

Thank you!

For the last days i've been trying to get ascents right with the realism overhaul, but mechjeb just wasnt made for it and i dont find any other tools that would do an automated flight like mechjeb.

Now i built myself a somewhat realistic Ariane 5 and gave it a 20 t dummy payload. Following this http://www.spaceflight101.com/ariane-5-va210-mission-updates.html .

I just have NO idea how to recreate the angle at which the real ariane starts. I tried some stuff in mechjeb but after the booster separation my flight data is more and more off.

The main stage seems to have only a TWR of .67 and i hit the AP way too early. It should take about 5 minutes to get up to orbital speeds but when i am half way through, i am already dropping down again.

Can anyone give me some pointers ?! (stock game + FAR, i can achieve really great efficient orbits)

Recent versions of Mechjeb have the wonderful option of "limit angle of attack". Use it, it should significantly reduce the number of launches ending with your rocket flipping.

The main stage of Ariane 5 indeed has low TWR, which means that it "turns" horizontal much faster than is usual. To compensate for that, make your SRB-powered phase more vertical than usual. Please also note that although "half-way through" is too early, there is nothing wrong with hitting your Ap before reaching orbital velocity - Ariane 5s aiming for GTO do it all the time.

I would advise against trying to recreate the moment it starts to pitch, real-life rockets tend to do that as soon as they clear the tower, but start with a very, very slight angle, which is pretty much impossible to recreate in KSP, as neither the stock SAS nor Mechjeb are precise enough.

Midanthrope: That's a side effect of my changing the VAB view limits to be what they were in RSS in .25. I'll try to fix that, but for now it's the price you pay for being able to zoom in and out further.

Cheers NK, wasn't sure whether or not to ask here or in the RSS thread.

Is it a problem for me only or for somebody else too that the latest version of the game is pretty much unplayable simply because of running extremely close to the memory limit and accumulating memory rapidly even if one is just sitting there staring on the editor screen resulting in quite constant crashes?

How to fix this problem?

I posted this on the Active texture management thread providing an example of a nearly vanilla game crash and was pointed to an interesting issue with parts throwing errors and spamming the memory so fast that it can not be unloaded.

Can a similar problem be spoiling my full installs?

Why does the no texture bug appear while the texture converter and the Active texture management are supposed to prevent it from happening?

Why do not the shortcut properties help at all?

Here is the crash report mentioned:

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog

I hope this ridiculous memory consumption will be fixed somehow soon.

Otherwise even the vanilla game can be unstable for Windows users.

Thank you!

Yeah, as mentioned before, There's a whole load of new stock textures in game now, which means Stock is taking up more and more of the 32bit limit. There's a little you can do about it, pruning out parts packs and the like, but in general you're just going to have to be a bit more spartan about which mods you use.

For the last days i've been trying to get ascents right with the realism overhaul, but mechjeb just wasnt made for it and i dont find any other tools that would do an automated flight like mechjeb.

Now i built myself a somewhat realistic Ariane 5 and gave it a 20 t dummy payload. Following this http://www.spaceflight101.com/ariane-5-va210-mission-updates.html .

I just have NO idea how to recreate the angle at which the real ariane starts. I tried some stuff in mechjeb but after the booster separation my flight data is more and more off.

The main stage seems to have only a TWR of .67 and i hit the AP way too early. It should take about 5 minutes to get up to orbital speeds but when i am half way through, i am already dropping down again.

Can anyone give me some pointers ?! (stock game + FAR, i can achieve really great efficient orbits)

Unlike stock KSP, many real launchers (Including the Ariane 5) reach orbital velocity well after apoapsis. This isn't a bad thing, it's a tradeoff. You waste a little energy, but you can use a more efficient upper stage engine, making back and exceeding the energy wasted by taking so long to circularize.

As an example, here's a launch trajectory for Ariane 5 to GTO:

ariane_5.jpg

Note how long after initial apoapsis it spends circularizing.

The file structure of fasa is not like most other part mods. I cannot seem to be able to seperate the engines. Can someone more knowledgable do this for me please?

Yes-ish. I built a simple script that can perform pruning, and AlmightyR is building a much better GUI version.

In general though, anything with LFE in it is a Liquid Fuel Engine, LFT is a Liquid Fuel Tank. Each part needs three things: A texture (.png, .tga, etc), A model (.mu), and a config (.cfg) You should be able to find these for each, and some parts share models or textures.

FYI these mods appear to be updated for 0.90: Connected Living Space, Procedural Wings, Toolbar, Near Future Tech, SXT. And AIES Aerospace is now available on CKAN.

Awesome, I need to update the OP, I'll do that shortly.

I personally dont have a problem with circ. after AP, but i would need about 4 minutes and after 2 minutes i am already going down like a rock.

Some numbers, i go up with about 20° from FR kurou. After 2:20 boosters are out and i have (depending on angle) an estimated AP of somewhere between 200 to 250 in about 2 minutes.

I drop the boosters and go completely horizontal. I have about 2km/s now (orbital). TWR is 0.7ish, accel is 5 m/s^2. When i reach AP i have a couple 100 m/s more.

Now because my speed didnt increase that much, i am going down as i went up, so i have about 2 minutes to push my trajectory but with the slow TWR etc 2 min after AP i am at maybe 5000 m/s but my trajectory is going down. At this point i am dropping below 150 km (depending on AP) and i have no chance of ever establishing an orbit.

Main question is: where should the rocket point ? The fligh paths are clear, but how do i reach them ? Should i circ. pointing horizontally or some degrees up ? etc

Hey. I am loving this pack. However, the size of kerbin makes it really hard for me to play as I haven't mastered the normal solar system yet. Is there a way to maybe tone down the massive solar system to kerbal size? I tried removing the Solar system mod, but then the game wouldn't start.

Oh also, The game seem to run out of memory really quickly unless I add the -force-opengl parameter to steam. However, this makes the edges ragged. Is there a better way to reduce the amount of RAM the MODs use? (I tried using 64 bit KSP, but that would not even start ;( )

Thanks,

Hoaz.

Edited by Hoaz

Just incase you havent put it together completely yet ( some poeple havent) You can use your time to apoapsis to more precisely project/guess your altitude in the near future. I launch manually without mechjeb and I follow Ferrams guidelines link in the OP. up to the point where you cross 45 degress at 1km/s and 35 kms altitude usually find that my apoapsis is a bit over 50 km by then.I like to wait a little (at ~60km altitude you are mostly out of the atmosphere and it is easier to steer without flipping) just to be safe thenwork my waygo all the down to near 0. From there you can do whatever you decide. the time to apoapsis is going to above be 1 or 2M by then and will start to count down. It is too far off and your ground stage has too much twr for the time to reach 0 yet. After you seperate into your upper stage, you are going to have a lower twr and the number is going to countdown faster. Remember that the periapsis is affected more the closer you are to apo. When your time to apoapsis gets too low pitch up a bit to slow it down so that you can more easily control it. When your periapsis lowers to -2MM or so you can let your time to apoapsis lower past 0 untill you finish the rest of your burn. Once you pass the apoapsis, your apoapsis and your craft is going to start slowly falling. Dont get below 100km or you are going to hit the atmosphere and start burning. Note that you should have an apo of 150 or higher until the very end to be sure that you dont get lower than 100. If your altitude/apoapsis is lower, then pitch up more/pass the apoapsis later if you think its going to get alot higher dont pitch up so much or go past the apo a bit sooner. Its something you really get more with a bit of practice. if you play with a few things you can manipulate certain variables and fine tune the numbers so that you can achieve a near circular orbit right from launch. you might decide an initial apo of 150 is too high and you want to see just how low you can go before you burn up and avoid hitting the atmosphere, or the opposite. The lower the orbit the less fuel you use.

Edited by Bender222

Hey. I am loving this pack. However, the size of kerbin makes it really hard for me to play as I haven't mastered the normal solar system yet. Is there a way to maybe tone down the massive solar system to kerbal size? I tried removing the Solar system mod, but then the game wouldn't start.

Oh also, The game seem to run out of memory really quickly unless I add the -force-opengl parameter to steam. However, this makes the edges ragged. Is there a better way to reduce the amount of RAM the MODs use? (I tried using 64 bit KSP, but that would not even start ;( )

Thanks,

Hoaz.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-90-Real-Solar-System-v8-4-Dec-21-14?p=1599467&viewfull=1#post1599467

That's a kerbin sized config for real solar system, but you will need to install other mods you like with that yourself. It isn't compatible with realism overhaul (your rockets would be too big and engines too powerfull) - but it removes the "need" for other mods and is playable with only stock parts

Edited by thyriel

Ok i achieve orbit now but it seems very inefficient, but that may just be the conversion from Kerbal Fantasy Rockets to REALITY.

Mechjeb seems to always show the TWR with max thrust but thrust should be dependend on atmospheric pressure so i simply assume my values are like the real Ariane 5's because it matches it very closely.

- I start vertically until i leave the launch clamps

- now i roll so that i can steer more comfy and pitch about 15°. Because i have to do it manually the rocket wobbles a bit when the SAS is trying to stabilize after each key-press

- the nose tip now falls over slighty, which is ok, i steer right after it, so my direction is just at the back-end of the yellow circle

- when i come close to 45° i wait until my AP is estimated somewhere 180 km

- then i go completely horizontal with some seconds of booster power left

- at about 100km altitude my booster run out and i eject them and the fairings which make about 1,5% of the weight at that point.

- now i have 2 minutes to AP and i am thrusting with about 8 m/s^2 and TWR 0.8

- within those 2 minutes i manage to get from about 2 km/s orbital to 2,3 km/s

NOW comes the wacky part

- at the AP i have to pitch up about 30° to reduce the dropping to about 50 m/s

- as i get slower the vertical speed reduces and i reduce the pitch accordingly

- from 30° at 2,5 km/s i go down to 5° at the end with somewhere (sorry forgot) 5.5 to 7 km/s

- now i eject the main stage with still negative PE and my upper stage fires with TWR of 0.2 and about 1100 deltaV

- upper stage has to pitch up to 10° again to not fall

- after minutes i reach orbit somewhere 200 km and still 600 deltaV left (i admit, i already reduced the initial upper stage fuel by 20%, else i had 1000 deltaV left, enough for 2 MM orbit

- so depending on the fuel i put into the upper stage i can get my dummy container of 20 tons of water :D into a orbit as high as 2 MM

BUT there are some questions that pop up

whats the point of using so much fuel in the main stage with such low TWR ? I am fighting gravity like a maniac, pitching 20° or more for several minutes. More powerful engine would reduce the time and thus save so much fuel ?!

the original ariane profile shows that at the upper stage separation it now points upward and "injects" the upper stage into the destined orbit. What was/is the point of circularizing at 150 to 180 km if you plan to go higher anyway ?

In \RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\Squad\RO_Squad_SPP.cfg

@PART[shockConeIntake]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
%RSSROConfig = True
!MODULE[TweakScale]
{
}
!mesh = DELETE
MODEL
{
model = Squad/SPP/ShockConeIntake/model
scale = 1.722222, 1.722222, 1.722222
}
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.07638875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@category = Propulsion
%maxTemp = 2000
}

Why is this inlet resized along with Mk2 parts? If that's to be done, AJEInlet area should be rescaled as well.

Hey. When I tried downloading from CKAN. Some of the mods in the pack will return "forbidden" and will fail and ultimately crash CKAN.

These are the following mods that return the follow error:mGE51LK.png?1

RealSolarsystem, Deadlyreentry, Procfairings, Tweakscale and CustomBiomes.

I will keep retrying until ... oh nvm... seems to be fixed now. I just installed all... Well anyway. IT was a temporary issue. Some files may be corrupt. I shall take it out for a spin and see how it fairs.

Edited by Hoaz

whats the point of using so much fuel in the main stage with such low TWR ? I am fighting gravity like a maniac, pitching 20° or more for several minutes. More powerful engine would reduce the time and thus save so much fuel ?!

Build a high TWR rocket and see what happens ;)

Ok i achieve orbit now but it seems very inefficient, but that may just be the conversion from Kerbal Fantasy Rockets to REALITY.

Mechjeb seems to always show the TWR with max thrust but thrust should be dependend on atmospheric pressure so i simply assume my values are like the real Ariane 5's because it matches it very closely.

- I start vertically until i leave the launch clamps

- now i roll so that i can steer more comfy and pitch about 15°. Because i have to do it manually the rocket wobbles a bit when the SAS is trying to stabilize after each key-press

- the nose tip now falls over slighty, which is ok, i steer right after it, so my direction is just at the back-end of the yellow circle

- when i come close to 45° i wait until my AP is estimated somewhere 180 km

- then i go completely horizontal with some seconds of booster power left

- at about 100km altitude my booster run out and i eject them and the fairings which make about 1,5% of the weight at that point.

- now i have 2 minutes to AP and i am thrusting with about 8 m/s^2 and TWR 0.8

- within those 2 minutes i manage to get from about 2 km/s orbital to 2,3 km/s

NOW comes the wacky part

- at the AP i have to pitch up about 30° to reduce the dropping to about 50 m/s

- as i get slower the vertical speed reduces and i reduce the pitch accordingly

- from 30° at 2,5 km/s i go down to 5° at the end with somewhere (sorry forgot) 5.5 to 7 km/s

- now i eject the main stage with still negative PE and my upper stage fires with TWR of 0.2 and about 1100 deltaV

- upper stage has to pitch up to 10° again to not fall

- after minutes i reach orbit somewhere 200 km and still 600 deltaV left (i admit, i already reduced the initial upper stage fuel by 20%, else i had 1000 deltaV left, enough for 2 MM orbit

- so depending on the fuel i put into the upper stage i can get my dummy container of 20 tons of water :D into a orbit as high as 2 MM

BUT there are some questions that pop up

the original ariane profile shows that at the upper stage separation it now points upward and "injects" the upper stage into the destined orbit. What was/is the point of circularizing at 150 to 180 km if you plan to go higher anyway ?

Dont start your turn till ~100m/s . Read ferrams guide in the op. My apo at 45 degrees is 50 ish km. This is for a 200km circular parking orbit. Uses a lower stage with about 4500 m/s atmospheric delta-v (1.3 slt)and an upper stage with about 4500 m/s vac delta-v (.75 Twr)

Edited by Bender222

Bender, you have a completely different rocket.

Ariane 5 ES has a very powerful first stage, with about 3,3 km/s delta and TWR somewhere 1.7 (mechjeb only shows full vac values).

2nd state (main stage without boosters) continues with about 4,5 km/s and 0.8 TWR

upper stage then has 1,3 km/s with 0.2 TWR and the original engine isnt in my parts so i have to use one that has twice the thrust, but at that stage i can accept that.

I am flying the ATV mission with the record payload of 20 ton to 260 orbit.

Just found some footage of the real start and ascent and ... somehow i cant really figure out how exactly they do it but i am pretty sure they pitch up like badass after the AP, like i do.

They only go to 135 km AP and drop back to 125 ish within a couple of minutes, they HAVE to thrust upward.

When they reach 7,1 km/s orbital, they separate and now the last stage with its 10% TWR somehow climbs up from 125 to 260, coasts and then circs ... i just dont find ANY explanation as to WHY they do it this way

mechjeb has a button that says "all stats" app still seems high. in half of the ascent you are already almost as high as you are at the end. you only need to get a periapsis above 200km or so to avoid decay and any higher of an app apsis than that is using more fuel at the expense of periapsis height.

Any tutorial to help me get into orbit? I either seem to blow up in the atmosphere (deadly reentry truly shines there), OR I don't get high enough to get into orbit ;-( I want to know how to build a stable rocket. Thank you!

Oh also, how are you guys dealing with the RAM issues for the 32 bit? Any parameters or have you lowered the graphics a bit?