[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

I use CKAN to install. Every time, I get an error. I try to install this time. 403 forbidden on every mod that doesn't have a 404. Does anyone have a way to vent so I don't try to kill someone?

Edit: seems some mods installed. I'm gonna use the ones that did, and install realism overhaul by looking at the CKAN errors in order to determine what didn't install.

Edited by Tangle

Didn't RO used to support B9? I don't see it on the list anymore. Am I crazy or was support removed? Any reason for not supporting B9 besides the obvious "Its freaking huge and a lot of work"? Also Bac9 has released some B9 Procedural's now that are probably the first Procedural wings to actually LOOK good.

Didn't RO used to support B9? I don't see it on the list anymore. Am I crazy or was support removed? Any reason for not supporting B9 besides the obvious "Its freaking huge and a lot of work"? Also Bac9 has released some B9 Procedural's now that are probably the first Procedural wings to actually LOOK good.

B9 only ever had partial support. The engines are pretty much all configured in AJE for RO (sans the new HL ones)

B9 only ever had partial support. The engines are pretty much all configured in AJE for RO (sans the new HL ones)

Ah ok. Shame. With this new pack I really like the new parts he has got, but I am waaay too busy to go through and balance all the masses and what not.

- - - Updated - - -

Where does one get the RSS RemoteTech2 ground stations file from these days? I seem to recall it being included, or linked to by, RO but I can't find it now.

Ah ok. Shame. With this new pack I really like the new parts he has got, but I am waaay too busy to go through and balance all the masses and what not.

- - - Updated - - -

Where does one get the RSS RemoteTech2 ground stations file from these days? I seem to recall it being included, or linked to by, RO but I can't find it now.

Install via CKAN, it's included there. If you don't want to install via CKAN, you'll have to wait til tonight sometime when I can get you a link (don't feel like digging for it on my phone.)

- - - Updated - - -

I use CKAN to install. Every time, I get an error. I try to install this time. 403 forbidden on every mod that doesn't have a 404. Does anyone have a way to vent so I don't try to kill someone?

Edit: seems some mods installed. I'm gonna use the ones that did, and install realism overhaul by looking at the CKAN errors in order to determine what didn't install.

Sounds like an issue with CKAN, If you don't resolve it, you should post on the CKAN thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like an issue with CKAN, If you don't resolve it, you should post on the CKAN thread.

Install via CKAN, it's included there. If you don't want to install via CKAN, you'll have to wait til tonight sometime when I can get you a link (don't feel like digging for it on my phone.)

I got it. Ferram tracked it down in the CKAN metadata.

CKAN doesn't work for everyone, it doesn't work for me. So it would be really nice if everything can be installed manually like the old days :)

Ckan for .25 does not install module manager anymore. also it installs the .90 version of tweakscale. THis makes it not possible to do a ckan install of .25 RO anymore and there is not a .9 version on ckan.

You sure? I mean CKAN always fails for me, but I did see RO on there when I tried it. And that was with my KSP 0.90 sandbox selected.

I got it. Ferram tracked it down in the CKAN metadata.

CKAN doesn't work for everyone, it doesn't work for me. So it would be really nice if everything can be installed manually like the old days :)

Well, now I understand why everyone's been asking for the RT2 settings file! When I cleaned up the modlist, I forgot to re-add the RT2 settings file. The link is now in the manual installation section, so have at it!

That being said, you should post your issue to the CKAN thread, or bother them on their IRC channel, or submit an issue report on their github

Ckan for .25 does not install module manager anymore. also it installs the .90 version of tweakscale. THis makes it not possible to do a ckan install of .25 RO anymore and there is not a .9 version on ckan.

That's a bit odd, but seeing as we don't officially support 0.25 anymore, you may just be stuck with doing a manual installation. If you download a 0.25 Realism Overhaul release for 0.25, it should include a copy of the appropriate module manager.

I dont know why but it keeps on crashing for me on loading the textures of planets in the menu. I have every mod needed & installed by ckan.

Almost certainly a "running out of RAM" issue. If there's anything you can do to reduce your ram usage (reducing the texture resolution for Real Solar System, removing mods you don't reeeaaaallly need, running Active Texture Management, converting all your textures to DDS and using DDS loader, etc) That'll probably help you out.

If you're not already familiar, KSP runs on a 32-bit framework (and 64-bit, which would solve that little problem, is horribly unstable, even with stock, unless you're on Linux). 32-bit programs have a hard limit of ~4GB of RAM total usage (the largest memory address you can store in 32 bits is 2^32 -> 4294967296, which just happens to be exactly 4GB. In any case, once you factor in the fact that your operating system, and everything else you have running, will suck up some of that precious first few GB of RAM, you're looking at *maybe* 3-3.5GB of RAM available for KSP.

Compound that with the fact that Squad just added a whole boatload of other assets to the game (Mk3 parts, textures for all those fancy editor tool buttons, etc), and you're going to have fun staying within your 4GB RAM limit!

I looked and there is not a list of definate not supported ods like there used to be. woould be helpful if it was back.

Linked in the OP

And to be fair, we never listed out the 'definitely not supported' mods, just those that were partially configured, but not complete yet. Based on how Realism Overhaul works, other parts won't necessarily break the game, they just may not be rekajiggered to the needs of the Real Solar System and be hard to use.

Right thanks a lot Felger will try that!

However I'm having huge problem with downloading the TACLS. I have it in my gamedata folder already installed but it still won't let me download all the mods.

Last time I installed everything manually but thats pain in the bum D:

EDIT:

Managed to stop the crash however the editing body got frozen meanwhile the background is functioning as in its still alive and not crashed, the kerbal moves his head around, music plays but the real solar system window just does not go away

http://prntscr.com/5n86ew

Edited by Sakai

However I'm having huge problem with downloading the TACLS. I have it in my gamedata folder already installed but it still won't let me download all the mods.

Yeah this is one of the reasons I could not use CKAN and gave up after spending way to much time trying it, and just did it by manually. CKAN refused to recognize my manual install of TACLS and simply would not install RO because of it.

I've been trying to design a Mars lander using RO, however the terminal velocity appears completely out of whack. Because I must bring massive amounts of rocket propellants. Things don't match up at all with what I calculate that they should be. I managed to get a rather silly terminal velocity of 8000 m/s at sea level with a giantic 50 meter pancake tank.

This actually causes problems just for landing capsules on Earth now that parachutes can't be deployed at super sonic speeds. The mk1-2 capsule got a 200 m/s a terminal velocity at sea level, which is at least twice as fast as it should be. As a result I have on a couple of occations not been able to pop the parachute, because I was still super sonic when I smashed into the ground :/

EDIT:

Managed to stop the crash however the editing body got frozen meanwhile the background is functioning as in its still alive and not crashed, the kerbal moves his head around, music plays but the real solar system window just does not go away

Yeah this is one of the reasons I could not use CKAN and gave up after spending way to much time trying it, and just did it by manually. CKAN refused to recognize my manual install of TACLS and simply would not install RO because of it.

I had this too but what I did was install all the mods I could via CKAN first and then added the other mods I wanted in manually afterwards. I found that CKAN deleted any mods I manually placed in the Gamedata folder beforehand so reversed the process. Also, rather than launch the game via CKAN I use the shortcut process in the KSP directory

Sakai - Which textures are you using? If it's the 8192 texture pack then try using the 4096 ones instead. With 8192 I found I was hitting the RAM limit fairly soon after load up but with the 4096 texture pack I'm around the 2GB mark at load up

Edited by ClLaw

I had this too but what I did was install all the mods I could via CKAN first and then added the other mods I wanted in manually afterwards. I found that CKAN deleted any mods I manually placed in the Gamedata folder beforehand so reversed the process. Also, rather than launch the game via CKAN I use the shortcut process in the KSP directory

Sakai - Which textures are you using? If it's the 8192 texture pack then try using the 4096 ones instead. With 8192 I found I was hitting the RAM limit fairly soon after load up but with the 4096 texture pack I'm around the 2GB mark at load up

Well I'm using the 8192 DDS but sure I will go with 4096 and see how it will go.

8 of the communitron antena is enough for a geostationary satelite correct? you do not need a dts-m1? Ckan install is the main reason I have not upgraded to .90 yet and last I checked only .25 ckan even has RO available.

Edited by Bender222

8 of the communitron antena is enough for a geostationary satelite correct? you do not need a dts-m1? Ckan install is the main reason I have not upgraded to .90 yet and last I checked only .25 ckan even has RO available.

You keep saying that but it is definitely in there for me for 0.90. In fact I just finished an install on my sandbox using CKAN (I had to turn off all the TAC dependant mods)

I was thinking about launching a geostationay constellation of 3 satellites arranged 120 degrees apart. I was pondering how to do this. I am thinking that the bet wy is to use a single launch to log all 3. Here is what I have come up with so far. I have not tried this because I am waiting on a few more nodes in career mode. so I am still fuzzy on whether this is the best way to do it.

Step 1 do a routine easterly launch into a parking orbit ~ 200kms

Step 2 Raise apoapsis to ~35,786 Kms (35,786,000Mm)

Step 3 Somehow manipulate the orbital period to be 2/3 of a sidereal day (15 hrs 57 mins and 22.7 seconds, I believe) Im not sure exactly how I would do this without lowering the apoapsis in the process.

Step 4 Decouple first satellite and circularize/burn to change inclination. Since I Boosted my Apoapsis at the DN I should be right at the AN when I get there.

Step 5 Switch back to launcher and time warp one full orbit, since the non circularized orbit has an orbital period 1/3rd smaller it should complete exactly 1/3rd sooner and therefore put me in the perfect position to insert the next satelite.

Step 6 de-couple/circularize/change plane just like Step 4.

Step 7 Repeat the step 5/6 and this time when I de-couple I de-orbit the apogee booster that I used to raise apogee when I decouple so that I have three evenly spaced geostationary satellites.

Step 8 Profit

I figure that the individual satellites each need ~2000 m/s delta-v (covers circularization and inclination change aswell as handles "station-keeping"). The launcher itself would need need about 12000 m/s (parking orbit, apogee boost, and de-orbit). Is this the best method to go about achieving an evenly space geostationary constellation? Are my numbers right?

Edited by Bender222

In a 0.90 RO install using latest RO files from github the procedural parts (any procedural part) node size increases with diameter up to 3 m but after that it does not increase in size.

Similar thing also happens in a stock + only proc parts install where the node size increase stops at 3.75 m, this is however no problem with stock sized & massed parts.

But in RO where masses and sizes can be bigger this node size limitation on proc parts prevents launching anything bigger.

Am i missing something here like NodeResizer mod or similar?

I've been trying to design a Mars lander using RO, however the terminal velocity appears completely out of whack. Because I must bring massive amounts of rocket propellants. Things don't match up at all with what I calculate that they should be. I managed to get a rather silly terminal velocity of 8000 m/s at sea level with a giantic 50 meter pancake tank.

This actually causes problems just for landing capsules on Earth now that parachutes can't be deployed at super sonic speeds. The mk1-2 capsule got a 200 m/s a terminal velocity at sea level, which is at least twice as fast as it should be. As a result I have on a couple of occations not been able to pop the parachute, because I was still super sonic when I smashed into the ground :/

I'm not sure what you exactly mean with all this. Is the 8000 m/s at sea level on mars or on earth ? Is it really terminal velocity (if yes displayed by which mod ?) or actual velocity ?

But generally: Lower your speed before you enter atmosphere (=lower orbit). With RO you can't enter atmospheres like in stock game, you need always to enter a low orbit before starting to land or your speed will be too high and atmosphere won't brake you enough.

Well I'm using the 8192 DDS but sure I will go with 4096 and see how it will go.

Since RSS uses almost double the RAM then it did in 0.25 now you almost can't run 8k textures with 32 bit client now. Even 4k i didn't managed yet to run stable with a lot other mods.

Edited by thyriel

Is that a 50 meter diameter tank? You don't say what its mass is, but 8km/s terminal velocity is about the right ball park for Mars. Mars only has an atmospheric pressure of 0.6 percent of Earth at its lowest point. (i.e 0.006 atmospheres)

(and seriously though, do you expect landing a 50 meter tank to be EASY on Mars??? lolwhut?)

I get about 150 m/s but I'm guessing at the mass; not sure what it is in RO but I know it's different. In any event maybe your descent was too steep. That will make it harder to aerobrake. Again, that's in line with real world expectations.

I was thinking about launching a geostationay constellation of 3 satellites arranged 120 degrees apart. I was pondering how to do this. I am thinking that the bet wy is to use a single launch to log all 3. Here is what I have come up with so far. I have not tried this because I am waiting on a few more nodes in career mode. so I am still fuzzy on whether this is the best way to do it.

[snip]

I figure that the individual satellites each need ~2000 m/s delta-v (covers circularization and inclination change aswell as handles "station-keeping"). The launcher itself would need need about 12000 m/s (parking orbit, apogee boost, and de-orbit). Is this the best method to go about achieving an evenly space geostationary constellation? Are my numbers right?

Sounds like a solid plan. :)

A few things I do a little different which may or may not help... I try to put as much work on the launcher as opposed to the payloads as possible to keep their weight to a min. For example I sort out any inclination needed with the launcher so the satellites don't need that dv. Another for the orbit of the launcher releasing the satellites can be 2/3rd, 5/6th, ... of a day and I'll just do multiple orbits between releasing the satellites. Meaning that the dv the satellites will need to circularize will be significantly less. The last few times I have done that I used the launcher to raise the orbit, then released the satellite, then dropped the launchers orbit back down to 5/6th a day.

For me I just like the challenge of trying to design the lightest possible payloads for the jobs, so any work I can put on launchers as opposed to payloads I'll typically go for.

Im having a bug where the LR87-H2 has no visable exhaust, while the debug menu is spammed with "[Exception]: MissingFieldException: Field '.Part.uid' not found." I have cool rockets installed for real effects, and its working fine with every other supported engine I tried, is anyone else experiencing this?

Ok the debug message is still being spammed even with the LR87-H2 uloaded, so it must be something on my 3-crew orbiter. Maybey its to do with right clicking in RCS thrusters, including the capsule, to deactivate them not actually deactivating them, even though the popup-menu says they are. None of the RCS thrusters are achnowlaged by RCS build aid, so I assume this is a problem with RCSFX not being fully compatible with 0.9?

Ive been experimenting more and have found that the debug spam is not caused by RCS thrusters but by the MK1-2 pod, possibly because I don't currently have TAC installed as its too unstable. Ive found another bug with RCS thrusters shown here:

Hgcx8wL.png

As you can see I am holding the H key to thrust foward with RCS, but the one on the left as you see it isn't thrusting at all, while the one to the right is thrusting at varying thrusts. I have no control systems such as SAS enabled, and the crafts center of mass is inline so I assume this is some kind of bug?