[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hey Hattivat,

That fixed it. Needed the Remote Tech config file install. Thank you.

So guys/gals does this look right? I've spent like 8 hours trying to get realism overhaul and all sorts of stuff working and trying to build a rocket following Ferrams tutorial https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/Ferram%27s-Launch-Vehicle-Tutorial

The KER and MechJeb are confusing the heck out of me. When I put the booster separation into stage two by themselves it separates the TWR and Delta Vs. Is that right? Do I just need to add them together? Or should I put the radial separators in stage 1 until calculations/modifications are complete?

Separators in proper spot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_6eI1DQhGkTkM0Ty1LaFdxUVU/view?usp=sharing

Separators in Stage 1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_6eI1DQhGkUlpkNzV3b2hBZHc/view?usp=sharing

No, MJ is calculating it correctly. Look at it this way, stage one with the separator is going to ignite and ditch the SRBs, those fly off providing no thrust and no DV. Sep in stage 2 gives you thrust and DV.

Also, that craft has insufficient delta-v to get to orbit (unless you're performing a very efficient launch, or going into a very low orbit.) I'd recommend tossing a few hundred more m/s on there.

I'm glad it helped.

MJ calculates the delta-v correctly, and I'd assume so does KER. They are calculating how much fuel you will have left in your "core" stage after booster separation, and display that as a "second" stage, so yes, you add them together.

Also, as Felger said, you need a little more delta-v to make it to orbit. I'd say 9300 m/s is reasonable minimum, but this being your first attempt, I'd recommend getting 9500 m/s to account for possible mistakes.

I seem to be failing at Google-Fu as well as forum searching, plus FAQ didn't cover this question... so...

How does one deal with the 18 ton limit imposed by the launchpad? Obviously I would need to progress through career to unlock building upgrades and raise this limitation, however I find that part kind of... difficult. And 18 ton rockets just don't seem to cut it.

What is the typical ram usage for a basic 32bit windows install. I am coming from x64 linux. Could I get away with 4k dds textures? Is it possible to install 8k versions of just the earth/moon. I am using rp-0 so i dont have anymore part mods than what is "required" for that.

Thanks Hattivat. Got it.

Now this RP-0 career mode... Totally not digging it right now. Posted in that thread. I think a massive tutorial for RO & RP-0 would be a the best thing ever. Concerned about the time spent building. Spent a lot of time building, haven't been enjoying it. After building its been nearly exclusive failures... Zero reward for the time investment.

I replied in the other thread. I agree there need to be more tutorials, and I've been thinking of producing some (albeit not for RP-0, those should be made by people who have more experience with it than I do), but I'm afraid at least in the short run other things are higher priority.

Ok, so the RSS config of remote tech is super useful in career mode, but it is really annoying having the entire planet covered in red dots.

I'm waiting for rp-0 to update to .90 and I haven't installed the RSS config yet, but it would be super cool if someone could make an option to hide the red dots.

An even better idea (in my opinion) is to make it so that you can only make a connection to the launch site that you are using, so there is always 1 red dot on screen, but it will move with you as you change launch sites. Let's be honest, being able to make a connection pretty much anywhere on the planet is a LITTLE too easy.

While thinking about this I've just had a WONDERFUL idea. What if, at the beginning of career mode, you choose a launch site that is yours. Then, if you want to use other launch sites, you can:

a. Purchase it (for quite a bit of money) and use it whenever you like. There is always a red dot on it and you can connect whenever you want.

b. Pay a fee to make a single launch. You will either go straight to the VAB/SPH, or straight the the Launchpad/Runway and select a vehicle to launch. You get no other benefits. (NO red dot)

I am currently in the progress of making config files to overhaul the ISS Community Project. Resizing, adding TAC lifesupport, realfuels etc. I will post the config file once I am done with testing it - probably sometime this week :-)

:-) sounds great, can't wait.

What is the typical ram usage for a basic 32bit windows install. I am coming from x64 linux. Could I get away with 4k dds textures? Is it possible to install 8k versions of just the earth/moon. I am using rp-0 so i dont have anymore part mods than what is "required" for that.

You might be able to get away with it with OpenGL. 8k Textures chew the memory. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What Deadly Reentry settings are you using?

Is there already a setting integrated by Realism Overhaul?

What would be "correct" values?

Didn't find anything about this on the Wiki…

How can I download RO without having to go through ckan?

I must be blind, but I have not found the link....

Many thanks.

github

how high is geostationary orbit? google and wikipedia say 35,786 km and scott manley says 40k or 42k I forget. It seems that almost everywhere you go its a bit different. Is it just not important the exact height since once you get about that high you fine tune with orbital period instead? Did he just add the radius for the earth to the number so that he could utilize his delta-v equations?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately its practically hidden in the OP but its there.. Its hidden in a spoiler tag so you need to look closely. Just after the CKAN instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting for rp-0 to update to .90 and I haven't installed the RSS config yet, but it would be super cool if someone could make an option to hide the red dots.

Unfortunately I think that is an issue with RT2 and it doesn't allow you to hide them.

An even better idea (in my opinion) is to make it so that you can only make a connection to the launch site that you are using, so there is always 1 red dot on screen, but it will move with you as you change launch sites. Let's be honest, being able to make a connection pretty much anywhere on the planet is a LITTLE too easy.

Remember this is Realism Overhaul. Those multitude of dots represent not just launch sites but real world tracking centers. When a rocket is launched its telemtry signal is handed off to various tracking centers around the world that can cover the craft at that location. This is what all those red dots achieve in RO.

Ok, so the RSS config of remote tech is super useful in career mode, but it is really annoying having the entire planet covered in red dots.

Somewhere in remotetech folder is PNG file that represent that dot. You can edit that to be transparent. I done this once but i don't really remember it worked.

EDIT: I looked in my RT folder and didn't find any PNG's. I think used ealier version back then(or maybe looked at the source).

Edited by Bedi

I just downloaded the updated version of the LazTek launch pack for 0.90. It worked worked beautifully for me with RSS. It isn't on CKAN yet, but it is available for downloading on the forum thread. Just putting that out there for any people who want to play around with the Falcon Heavy.

I am using .25 since rp0 is not listed in .25 ckan. ckan is not installing the correct version of several important part mods. tweakscale and procedural parts both. KSPAPIExtensions.dll is for .90. pops up saying incompatiable on startup. In game there are no size/shape controls for any procedural parts and the nozzle on the procedural srb is as big around as the casing and is seperated from the main body by a large gap.

Edited by Bender222

Many thanks.

Just download the Realism Overhaul zip from github, and install all the mods you want manually, you will absolutely need the ones under 'dependencies', the others are optional.

What doesn't work with CKAN for you?

github

how high is geostationary orbit? google and wikipedia say 35,786 km and scott manley says 40k or 42k I forget. It seems that almost everywhere you go its a bit different. Is it just not important the exact height since once you get about that high you fine tune with orbital period instead? Did he just add the radius for the earth to the number so that he could utilize his delta-v equations?

Wikipedia is correct on height (defined from sea level). Scott Manley is listing the true orbital altitude, which includes the radius of the earth (6371km)

Unfortunately its practically hidden in the OP but its there.. Its hidden in a spoiler tag so you need to look closely. Just after the CKAN instructions.

This file is linked in the OP under the (as mentioned above) almost hidden manual install instructions. Its a spoiler tag just after the Option A CKAN instructions.

That's for good reason, we want to primarily support CKAN installations, as installing all of Realism Overhaul by hand is tedious at best, frustrating at worst, and incredibly prone to user error. If you really want to install manually, we're leaving the option there, with the knowledge that it's going to be all those things I said in the last sentence.

CKAN is still in beta, so it's a bit buggy, but I've never had any problems with installing via CKAN (except due to my own stupid mistakes in the package files), but overall it's led to a far better experience installing it from my end. If you have problems with it, why don't you help make it better? Perhaps submit bug reports, or ask on the CKAN IRC channel.

TL;DR - I like CKAN, you don't have to, but that's how I'm choosing to primarily support installation. If you want something else, you're welcome to it.

I just downloaded the updated version of the LazTek launch pack for 0.90. It worked worked beautifully for me with RSS. It isn't on CKAN yet, but it is available for downloading on the forum thread. Just putting that out there for any people who want to play around with the Falcon Heavy.

Roger that, updating the OP. Need to update the CKAN file for LazTek, should be soon^TM

I am using .25 since rp0 is not listed in .25 ckan. ckan is not installing the correct version of several important part mods. tweakscale and procedural parts both. KSPAPIExtensions.dll is for .90. pops up saying incompatiable on startup. In game there are no size/shape controls for any procedural parts and the nozzle on the procedural srb is as big around as the casing and is seperated from the main body by a large gap.

Sounds like a bug with CKAN, you should post there. Also, RP-0 works with 0.90, you'll just have to install it manually. I'll see if I can get that functional with a CKAN install, it should work just fine (probably)

The latest RemoteTech update (1.6.0) seems pretty big, is everything gravy with RO or will it break things?

Anyway, thanks to felger and the RO team for an awesome set of mods.

I haven't fully tested the new RemoteTech update, but unless they added parts, it should all work.

Just download the Realism Overhaul zip from github, and install all the mods you want manually, you will absolutely need the ones under 'dependencies', the others are optional.

What doesn't work with CKAN for you?

Wikipedia is correct on height (defined from sea level). Scott Manley is listing the true orbital altitude, which includes the radius of the earth (6371km)

That's for good reason, we want to primarily support CKAN installations, as installing all of Realism Overhaul by hand is tedious at best, frustrating at worst, and incredibly prone to user error. If you really want to install manually, we're leaving the option there, with the knowledge that it's going to be all those things I said in the last sentence.

CKAN is still in beta, so it's a bit buggy, but I've never had any problems with installing via CKAN (except due to my own stupid mistakes in the package files), but overall it's led to a far better experience installing it from my end. If you have problems with it, why don't you help make it better? Perhaps submit bug reports, or ask on the CKAN IRC channel.

TL;DR - I like CKAN, you don't have to, but that's how I'm choosing to primarily support installation. If you want something else, you're welcome to it.

Roger that, updating the OP. Need to update the CKAN file for LazTek, should be soon^TM

Sounds like a bug with CKAN, you should post there. Also, RP-0 works with 0.90, you'll just have to install it manually. I'll see if I can get that functional with a CKAN install, it should work just fine (probably)

I haven't fully tested the new RemoteTech update, but unless they added parts, it should all work.

I appreciate that there is a manual option. Alas, the computer that has my KSP install is unable to get online right now--there is an issue with Windows I haven't fixed because it more than likely involves a new install of the OS and I can't be bothered to do it. More issues there than I care to discuss.-- bottom line up front, I cannot install via ckan.

Thank you for keeping that option available. :)

That is the "Real Plume" mod listed under the recommended mods for Realism overhaul in the first post? The link for it just links to this thread.
I remember there was floating around somewhere a config for TAC that was for use with RSS, does anybody know where that is?

Interestingly enough, the answer to both of these questions is "It's included in the Realism Overhaul zip file", CKAN can install them separately, but all you need to do is go to our releases page (linked in the OP) and download the latest release.

Note for RealPlume, you'll need to install SmokeScreen along side Realism Overhaul.