[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Thanks! I really need some help with this problem. I've been trying to land on the moon, and every time I get close my fuel boils off...leaving me hopelessly stranded in space.

Use hypergolic fuels like MMH NTO for your stages you will use in Moon orbit, that is what NASA did

how come when i downloaded realism overhaul through CKAN i get about 3 launches in and it crashes on the 4th. idk what it is but my game just dies their isnt even a error. any help is appreciated.

This is correct! Essentially, to control your descent with a capsule you offset your center of mass so that the capsule tilts into the airstream, which gives you lift. Using your RCS thrusters, you can rotate the capsule, and use that lift to steer you to your landing site, or to increase or decrease your rate of descent:

http://nassp.sourceforge.net/w/images/5/59/Command_Module_Aerodynamics.png

Thank you for explaining!

But is it realistic that the center of mass is shifted? Is it done like this in reality?

Could this be the reason why the legacy Launch Escape Systems thrust is offset (the CoM is centered at start and not shifted)?

@mecki:

In reality it is shifted all the time, but people were complaining about how that made it harder to control manned rockets during launch, so it was made into a selectable option.

And the reason Launch Escape Systems' thrust is offset is AFAIK simply so that it gets the capsule away from the path of the rest of the rocket, avoiding the possibility of being rammed by it.

@Esc@p3 Velocity:

The simple rule-of-thumb is: do not use anything that has "lqd" (= "liquid") in its name if you need to store it for long period of time. If something has "liquid" in its name, it means that it is NOT a liquid under normal conditions. Take liquid oxygen as an example - it is only liquid because it is extremely cold, and once it gets warmer (for example, warmed by sunshine) it transforms into the gas that you breathe every day, and is no longer suitable for fuelling your engine. This is the price you pay for the higher performance that these propellants have. As Rabada said, you need to use storable hypergolic propellants (such as hydrazine and its varieties MMH, UDMH, and Aerozine) for longer stays in space.

@DaZeInBok:

Most people don't know this, but KSP is producing logs all the time, not just when there is an error. First open up your KSP and play until it crashes. Then go into your_ksp_folder/KSP_Data and find output_log.txt

Open it, and search for the phrase "out of memory". If you find that in your log (most likely you will), it means that you are running you KSP too close to the memory limit, and the 4th rocket launch pushes it over the edge. You will either have to do something to reduce your memory usage (such us using Active Texture Manager and/or fewer mods and/or lower-res RSS textures and/or running with -force-opengl) or learn to live with it.

Edited by Hattivat

Thank you for explaining!

But is it realistic that the center of mass is shifted? Is it done like this in reality?

Could this be the reason why the legacy Launch Escape Systems thrust is offset (the CoM is centered at start and not shifted)?

If I remember right, the Mercury could move its center of mass up and down the center of the capsule. To insure the heatshield was towards the direction of movement in the atmosphere. The Gemini could offset the center of mass so that you could rotate the capsule and aim.

If I remember right, the Mercury could move its center of mass up and down the center of the capsule. To insure the heatshield was towards the direction of movement in the atmosphere. The Gemini could offset the center of mass so that you could rotate the capsule and aim.
@mecki:

In reality it is shifted all the time, but people were complaining about how that made it harder to control manned rockets during launch, so it was made into a selectable option.

And the reason Launch Escape Systems' thrust is offset is AFAIK simply so that it gets the capsule away from the path of the rest of the rocket, avoiding the possibility of being rammed by it.

Both sounds reasonable to me.

But in my experience the offset of the thrust produced by the LES is way to high, my pod always tumbles extremely and creates very high G-forces thereby.

I'm fairly certain neither Gemini nor Apollo could change their center of mass, it was offset at all times. Yes, it was offset so that rotating the capsule on the roll axis could change its course (if it wasn't offset, such rotation would have no effect), but it wasn't the offset center of mass itself that caused the rotation, that was accomplished with roll RCS thrusters.

I'm fairly certain neither Gemini nor Apollo could change their center of mass, it was offset at all times. Yes, it was offset so that rotating the capsule on the roll axis could change its course (if it wasn't offset, such rotation would have no effect), but it wasn't the offset center of mass itself that caused the rotation, that was accomplished with roll RCS thrusters.

Surely the service module had an offset CoM as well to compensate?

@mecki:

@DaZeInBok:

Most people don't know this, but KSP is producing logs all the time, not just when there is an error. First open up your KSP and play until it crashes. Then go into your_ksp_folder/KSP_Data and find output_log.txt

Open it, and search for the phrase "out of memory". If you find that in your log (most likely you will), it means that you are running you KSP too close to the memory limit, and the 4th rocket launch pushes it over the edge. You will either have to do something to reduce your memory usage (such us using Active Texture Manager and/or fewer mods and/or lower-res RSS textures and/or running with -force-opengl) or learn to live with it.

\

Searched for it and didnt find it, i have 16gb of ram. Most likely not the case not sure whats causing the problem but its annoying :3

\

Searched for it and didnt find it, i have 16gb of ram. Most likely not the case not sure whats causing the problem but its annoying :3

16gb of RAM means nothing to KSP. KSP can only address at maximum 3.5/3.8gb of RAM and can often crash with just 3gb of RAM.

The log is there, make sure you are looking in the right place? Unity/KSP always makes it. Always. Check out this thread for more details on how to provide us with information so we can help you :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

I am pretty sure that during the Apollo missions the center of mass was offset by the crew shortly before reentry by moving food and other supplies around the cabin. Edited by plasmeus

how come when i downloaded realism overhaul through CKAN i get about 3 launches in and it crashes on the 4th. idk what it is but my game just dies their isnt even a error. any help is appreciated.

Very odd, it kind of sounds like a RAM issue as hattivat mentioned. Have a look at the "The Logs" section of this post on how to get support to help find your log files so we can see what's going on!

Hey guys, great mod. I'm having a problem with RaiderNick's R7, the verniers don't seem to gimbal at all, did I miss something on the install?

I'm not familiar with that one, but it's possible the gimbals aren't configured correctly. I'll do some testing on my end to check.

I installed a new RO client a couple of days ago, and found that RO achieved a astonishing progress. If I was talented enough, it would be my great joy and honor to be a contributer of this awsome modsets.

Anyway, I have 3 questions:

1. I know Crossfeed Enabler enables suface attached tanks crossfeeding, but it also enables radial decoupler attached tanks crossfeeding? I built a Delta IV Heavy with AIES AR decoupler and found that booster consumes core stage fuels. Is it intended or I just mistook something?

2. I put some RCS thrusters on micro cubic strut to make a cluster, attached the strut on the suface of relevant fuel tank, but it didn't work. Is it impossible to put RCS on structural attachment?

3. I think my RealPlume doesn't work properly, not giving me a great plume of flame even on high enough altitude. I deleted and re-installed SmokeScreen and RealPlume several times but it didn't get well, so now I'm wondering that whether this is how RealPlume supposed to work. Is there a way to test RealPlume that it works well or not?

Edited by FennexFox

ou can toggle crossfeed in the tweakables. I actuall use this to make boat tails on my rockets b fliping a procedural interstage upside down and enabling crossfeed I can the place an engine on the bottom and adjust it so that it looks good.

I found a problem on the latest version. It is not a RAM issue, but there is a strange flickering in the editor and then it will crash. It will last about a minute if I'm lucky. The only time I have found a similar problem is when I am using out of date mods. All of the mods are updated and the only parts are FASA. Also would someone help me with Auto-pruner? I can't seem to understand how it works. Thanks!

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4fmxop10sbfcys/log.zip?dl=0

Edit: I am using "testing" version of TAC and non-updated RT2

Edited by samroberts

ou can toggle crossfeed in the tweakables. I actuall use this to make boat tails on my rockets b fliping a procedural interstage upside down and enabling crossfeed I can the place an engine on the bottom and adjust it so that it looks good.

Thank you for your reply but what I questioned was whether crossfeeding through decoupler is possible or not :(

Since my last two questions are not replied, I think those are frequently asked ones but I can't find any information.

Squad decided not to disable crossfeed on radial decouplers. I have no idea why.

You don't often notice this in Stock KSP because most things you attach to a decoupler don't crossfeed *out*, only in. If you put a 24-77 on a radial decoupler, though, I dare say it would light.

After having rescaled the Mk3 parts for my Space Shuttle recreation, adding heat shielding, real fuels integration and life support (made it 2 weeks for now, it is surprisingly hard to find data on how long the life support on the shuttle lasted), here is my config for Mk3 Parts: Dropbox Download

Most values are definitely not 100% accurate, especially masses (especially especially the fuel tanks) which i basically just guessed so that it gives me a realistic empty mass for a shuttle (at least that means it can't be too far off), if you notice something off please let me know :)

Edited by Kertherina