[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hi I really want to try out this, but when I try to use Ckan, i get errors that it can't download all the mods those are: Modular fuel system, Betterbuoyancy and Deadlyreentry. Does this means that I have to download them on my own? Sorry if this has said before.

Sometimes you have to try a second time a couple minutes later. CKAN sometimes has that issue. Just download/install the parts that already work, then try a second run with the missing mods once that is done. I have that issue occasionally when I try to download many larger mods at once in CKAN as well.

EDIT:

@DerMeister:

The issue you describe is caused by an incompatibility between RCSBuildAid 0.6 and RealFuels. Either use the older version (0.55) or use this fix.

Edited by Senshi

I've just switched back to Linux as Windows was getting annoying, and my probes are burning up on ascent. I have to pack my satellite into a second set of internal interstage fairings with a heat-shield at the front.

I thought maybe my ascent profile was too shallow, I'm hitting 1000m/s at about 30-40k, is this the case or is something funky going on?

I had the same issue until I upgraded to the latest Beta of DRE (v6.5.2.BETA).

SO I'm calling out to RO users and pro's ... I don't think it's a bug but it could be..... but in all honesty I think it's user related I'm quite new to this RO. Whne I put a Custom fairing base under a unmanned core then I put a stretchy tank underneath and save the craft all is good. But then if I add any engine under and save it then try to load it I see Liquid squirt out of the tank and engine and my Custom tank is In another shape and I can't edit the craft anymore. Fresh Instal of ksp Used CKAN to download and install the mods.It auto downloaded what it needed I would assume? SO is it a bug or have I done something wrong?

Are you using RCS Build Aid? There was a problem with the 0.6 version. If so, there was an interim fix posted on that thread or you can downgrade to 0.55.

Hello!

As for now the expanding plume effects do not support a lot of mods and the effects look a bit weird sometimes.

Because of this how do I remove those effects so they do not interfere with the hot rockets?

Anyway this mod is amazing turning the game upside down making it so much more interesting!

Thank you!

Does anyone know of any good throttleable engines that work in atmosphere and don't use cryogenic fuels? I am planning a mission to mars but I can't seem to find any decent landing engines other than the SpaceX radial ones(and even those have no gimbal).

One more thing, does the orbit manipulator mod still work?

The procedural fairing bases say "decouplers sold separately", but they seem to have decouplers built in. Personally, I think that built-in decouplers reduces flexibility of design, but do what you want.
You can always attach things to the lower of the upper nodes, only the upper upper node has a decoupler.
SO I'm calling out to RO users and pro's ... I don't think it's a bug but it could be..... but in all honesty I think it's user related I'm quite new to this RO. Whne I put a Custom fairing base under a unmanned core then I put a stretchy tank underneath and save the craft all is good. But then if I add any engine under and save it then try to load it I see Liquid squirt out of the tank and engine and my Custom tank is In another shape and I can't edit the craft anymore. Fresh Instal of ksp Used CKAN to download and install the mods.It auto downloaded what it needed I would assume? SO is it a bug or have I done something wrong?

Nope, almost certainly a bug, or at the very least, an odd interaction between mods that we haven't seen before. Could you upload your output_log.txt? Instructions on how to find it are here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Pics of the FASA attach point issues. This is happens regardless of CKAN or manual install.

16576496622_946f293d2d_z.jpg

16576496832_e2ae62f534_z.jpg

15955130644_c292c72281_z.jpg

The LM docking port AP is deep in the ascent stage, and cant be accessed. I post this here as this the mod that is causing this. Something aint stirring the Kool-Aid....

Any known fixes?

The procedural fairing bases say "decouplers sold separately", but they seem to have decouplers built in. Personally, I think that built-in decouplers reduces flexibility of design, but do what you want.

Quite the opposite, since adding the decoupler adds rather than removes an option for design. Regardless, payload mounts (fairing baseplates) pretty much always include decouplers of one kind or another in real life. If you can come up with a decent set of counter-examples, we could produce a second config without decouplers, but that's a bit silly in my opinion as you're pretty much always going to include a decoupler in your design.

Hello!

As for now the expanding plume effects do not support a lot of mods and the effects look a bit weird sometimes.

Because of this how do I remove those effects so they do not interfere with the hot rockets?

Anyway this mod is amazing turning the game upside down making it so much more interesting!

Thank you!

Hotrockets isn't supported by RO, we resize every engine to match its real life equivalent, and that doesn't affect the plumes included in hotrockets. You'll almost certainly end up with either an enormous plume or a hilariously undersized plume.

For how to remove it, simply go to the Realism Overhaul folder and delete the "Smokescreen_" folders.

Does anyone know of any good throttleable engines that work in atmosphere and don't use cryogenic fuels? I am planning a mission to mars but I can't seem to find any decent landing engines other than the SpaceX radial ones(and even those have no gimbal).

Those are pretty dang uncommon. I'd suggest an alternate approach:

Try placing multiple symmetric single engines, and turning them off via action groups to facilitate 'throttling'

Design your engine and fuel tanks so that when you complete your landing burn your TWR is in an acceptable range.

Pics of the FASA attach point issues. This is happens regardless of CKAN or manual install.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/16576496622_946f293d2d_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8661/16576496832_e2ae62f534_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/15955130644_c292c72281_z.jpg

The LM docking port AP is deep in the ascent stage, and cant be accessed. I post this here as this the mod that is causing this. Something aint stirring the Kool-Aid....

Any known fixes?

Yeah, I think we have that weirdness fixed for the next release, but in the meantime try using Procedural Fairings, it's a pretty elegant solution.

In addition to what Felger wrote above, you don't need to worry much about "working in atmosphere", Martian "atmosphere" is so close to vacuum that it doesn't affect your Isp that much.

Both DMagic and SCANSat are listed as suggested mods for RO but I notice that in both cases the minimum, best and maximum ranges for the various scientific parts from these two mods have not been altered. Since RO uses RSS as a dependency, shouldn't the ranges for these parts be increased to match the size of the planets that RSS gives up? 7500km instead of 750km, for instance.

EDIT: Nevermind. I should have posted this on RSS thread. Plus I just noticed that RSS is increasing the ranges. They just don't seem to be increased in my game so I must have installed something wrong.

Edited by chrisl

Dunno about best, but minimum (unless it's <130km) and maximum ranges certainly shouldn't change; the ability of the instrument to see a given area of land won't change just because the planet got bigger.

Actually, they do. If the planet is 10 times larger, you have to be further away to see the same amount of planet. The changes are already in place. I just had a glitch so my ScanSat stuff wasn't being updated correctly. I corrected the glitch and reloaded and now the components have the correct values. Although I'd question the SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor values as max is still set to 500km. Before RO/RSS, that 500km put you at "high space" but that same 500km in RO/RSS is definitely well within "near space".

Another possible issue I found is the DTS-M1 dish (with RemoteTech installed) has a range of 400Mm but in the stock game, that dish is supposed to have enough range to cover about 80% of Kerbin's SOI. 400Mm is less then half the SOI with RO/RSS and isn't a great enough distance to cover Minmus (with Kerbin 10x). I'm not sure if that was an intentional change or an oversight.

I'd like to get back to you on that idea for RO creating its own engines and using mod models. You said that the only danger was that MM would try to use models from a preferred mod (like FASA) even if the models were deleted. I found a way around this, but I'm not sure about the copyright implications. What would happen if we bundled engine models as a part of RO? All the models would be readily available, and the user wouldn't need to install mods for getting more engines. But I'm not too confident about the mod makers being OK with that...

If we can't do that, we can just stick to the original idea of using models from installed mods and using fallbacks as necessary. That autoprune tool looks useful for avoiding tank clutter in the VAB. If that tool had some sort of user interface for allowing the user to selectively remove parts from the VAB, that would be ideal so replica rockets could still be made.

I think that this idea would really make life easier on our side, not having to account for so many different engines. I'd like to do whatever I can to get this implemented.

When I start the game for the first time it gets stuck at the main menu on

Editing Body Eve 3/17

PQS Eve

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

Here's the modlist from Version Checker.

I used the default install on ckan.

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Filter Extensions - 1.17

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.3

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Procedural Parts - 1.0.2

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

RealismOverhaul - 8.0.1

RealSolarSystem - 8.5

Regolith - 0.1.6

RemoteTech - 1.6.3

SCANsat - 1.1

TextureReplacer - 2.2.5

Universal Storage - 1.0.90.2

wasn't sure which thread to post in so I posted here and the RSS thread :S

When I start the game for the first time it gets stuck at the main menu on

Editing Body Eve 3/17

PQS Eve

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

Here's the modlist from Version Checker.

I used the default install on ckan.

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Filter Extensions - 1.17

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.3

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Procedural Parts - 1.0.2

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

RealismOverhaul - 8.0.1

RealSolarSystem - 8.5

Regolith - 0.1.6

RemoteTech - 1.6.3

SCANsat - 1.1

TextureReplacer - 2.2.5

Universal Storage - 1.0.90.2

wasn't sure which thread to post in so I posted here and the RSS thread :S

You are probably running out of memory. I had a similar problem, and I fixed it by installing the aggressive texture manager. Deleting all of the stock tanks helps, too. You don't need them anyway.

You are probably running out of memory. I had a similar problem, and I fixed it by installing the aggressive texture manager. Deleting all of the stock tanks helps, too. You don't need them anyway.

Gotcha. I'll just step the texture set down on the rss installation. I used the 8K x 4K one. I suppose I was bound to run into problems.

EDIT: Sure enough that fixed it. Thanks.

Edited by Glockshna