[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Yeahh, I knew I should have clarified a bit more. My bad.

See, I have seen the Reccomended Mods list. However, I would actually want real-life engines, with eal Isp and thrust -and I'm not sure how this works out with KW Rocketry, though I love it.

No, the Soviet ENgines Pack looks nice, but the engines are, well, Soviet. Unless the included engines are still used, I would prefer a bit more modern technology.

First of all, the way it works is that RO provides configs for each of the "suggested mods", including KW Rocketry, which override the mod's own configs. This means that all the models get the characteristics (including Isp and thrust) of the real-world part that they most resemble. That is in fact the whole point of RO as a stand-alone mod (if taken without its dependencies).

Second, you are gravely mistaken about the history of rocket engine development. Very few rocket engines were developed after 1990, and most of the ones used today actually have their roots even earlier, in the 1960s moon race. The engines in the Soviet Pack are mostly from the 80s and are actually among the most modern engines you can get. ULA uses them on its Atlas Vs that lift US reconnaisance satellites, as an example.

Additionally. If you get ambitious using only engines in use today may be challenging. We don't build large rockets anymore. I've no doubt you can sling probes all over the solar system with active engines, but the moment you maybe want to bring something back or build a moon ( or beyond ) rocket your going to want bigger engines. Now you could go the way of the old N1 and use alot of smaller engines and that would work with ksp as is. But if by chance you use that flight test mod that could be a nightmare as it was in real life.

But reguardless your gonna need bigger and bigger rockets as your RSS play through matures. Now the biggest active rocket today is the DeltaIV heavy, yes? This actually brings me to a question of my own... Are there any RS-68s in RO? I can't for the life of me remember seeing one.

But reguardless your probably gonna want to break out Von Braun's F1 at some point, lol. If only to keep part count down. Or my new favorite engine as of last night the RD-270M. Engine is straight up scary.

Edited by Motokid600

Coga I do appologise for my shortness earlier for what it counts. Now I'd continue to help you out, but apparently I may or may not be stalking you. I'm not sure I haven't figured it out yet. But I'll take a chance.

Most part mods that RO uses and reconfigures contain engines that are indeed still in active use, engines that aren't and my favorite... Concept engines that never flew.

For instance FASA has the F1 engines that aren't in use anymore and the RL-10 which are in use.The Soviet pack has the RD180 which is still in use ( though it may be called RD170 in the soviet pack I forget ) Then there's the NK-33 upon which again I can't recal if the soviet pack has that or not. I know you can get the modern AJ36 version from the AerojetKerbodyne mod. ( The ones that just exploded the Antares months ago Iirc )

I imagine you could pluck the space shuttle main engines out of the component space shuttle mod as well. There not in active use, but they will be soon. Anything beyond that, well it's actually a good bit of work to go through each mod and say exactly what engines and variants of those engines are still in use. I recommend installing a mod pack. Then go through and see what engines you like and dont like. Simply remove the ones you don't want.

Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but most rockets today use soviet engines or variants of them.

Lol, don't worry about the stalking warning. He most probably meant that your behaviour was ofensive for some other reason, which is also completely wrong.

Well yeah, just checked for the Soviet Engines pack, and all the engines in there are more or less commisioned (and all of them fly like a dream!), Now, AJ36 is an engine I would really like, so I'll check it out too. And the RS-25s from Component Space Shuttle... you sir, are a genius after all.

And yeah, Soviet technology has made wonders in modern extraerrestrial propulsion. Howeer, I was mostly looking for the modern iterations of them, not the originals. Anyways.

First of all, the way it works is that RO provides configs for each of the "suggested mods", including KW Rocketry, which override the mod's own configs. This means that all the models get the characteristics (including Isp and thrust) of the real-world part that they most resemble. That is in fact the whole point of RO as a stand-alone mod (if taken without its dependencies).

Second, you are gravely mistaken about the history of rocket engine development. Very few rocket engines were developed after 1990, and most of the ones used today actually have their roots even earlier, in the 1960s moon race. The engines in the Soviet Pack are mostly from the 80s and are actually among the most modern engines you can get. ULA uses them on its Atlas Vs that lift US reconnaisance satellites, as an example.

Yeah, but the KW Rocketry engines are not eplicitly based on certain models of RL engines, which is why they don't sere my purpose fully (see below)

Additionally. If you get ambitious using only engines in use today may be challenging. We don't build large rockets anymore. I've no doubt you can sling probes all over the solar system with active engines, but the moment you maybe want to bring something back or build a moon ( or beyond ) rocket your going to want bigger engines. Now you could go the way of the old N1 and use alot of smaller engines and that would work with ksp as is. But if by chance you use that flight test mod that could be a nightmare as it was in real life.

But reguardless your gonna need bigger and bigger rockets as your RSS play through matures. Now the biggest active rocket today is the DeltaIV heavy, yes? This actually brings me to a question of my own... Are there any RS-68s in RO? I can't for the life of me remember seeing one.

But reguardless your probably gonna want to break out Von Braun's F1 at some point, lol. If only to keep part count down. Or my new favorite engine as of last night the RD-270M. Engine is straight up scary.

Ohh yeah, hadn't thought of that. Well, I wanted the modern engines mostly because I want to test whether certain missions would be realistically possible IRL, and this will most likely need the most efficient and advanced engines avalaible. Well, the thrust is a good point, so yeah, the "modern-only" thing is scrapped for now.

And I actually tried to snatch the F-1 standalone engine mod, but the links to the download are broken. Well, I still got FASA.

Thank you all!

If you look at the last page or two of the F-1 Engine thread, somebody had reuploaded it.

As for the Soviet Engines Pack--despite being termed that, half the engines are post-Soviet anyway (RD0124, RD0146, etc), and they're definitely all the 'modern' versions of themselves. You're right that it's a problem that most engines for KSP are not 1:1 replicas of real engines (and often include giant tankbutts because ~KSP~), but we work with what we have. If you are, or you know, a modeler, we're always looking for new real engines. :)

Seems im having an issue with the LMA fairings not being tall enough.

CQoqLh4.jpg?1

Now i had to improvise in order to attatch the LEM to the S-IVB. Cant figure out how to do it without a decoupler. So i used the one for the ascent/decent stage. Flat as can be. But despite that the ascent stage clips up into the service engine and thats with full offset. The LEM cant sink any lower into the S-IVB without the feet clipping into it.

Is there an RO friendly way/mod to dump fuel? Also, is it possible to transfer electric charge between two storage units, or it that just for liquid fuels?

EDIT:

Also, is the very poor reliability of engines to initially ignite on initial liftoff a feature? It seems I have to repeat the initial liftoff many times before the boosters activate as intended. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Oksbad

I was making a lifting reentry with an Apollo capsule from an elliptical Earth orbit (FASA.) It worked well... Except that the temperature only hit 600 degrees Celsius at the heat shield. Isn't that too low for a reentry?

Is there an RO friendly way/mod to dump fuel? Also, is it possible to transfer electric charge between two storage units, or it that just for liquid fuels?

There is a mod called TacFuelBalancer. It works with a Realism Overhaul install. How realistic it is probably depends on the craft you are using it with. Also it can at least dump electric charge. I haven't tried transfering it, but it probably can do that as well.

Check the Deadly Reentry multipliers in the settings. Also a very prolonged reentry might just be able to keep temps down that low. I did the same thing with about 6 or 7 "skips" and barely needed the the heat shield.

Downloaded RO too. It went pretty smooth with CKAN and to my surprise I haven't run into memory-related problems so far despite the long list of mods ... ! Now, immediately after installing RO I decided to do a 'quick' journey towards Mars, but in reality I found out I have to 'study' the various types of fuel and more before even thinking about launching a manned rocket. This will be a nice challenge ... !

Also, is the very poor reliability of engines to initially ignite on initial liftoff a feature? It seems I have to repeat the initial liftoff many times before the boosters activate as intended. Am I doing something wrong?

That's the feature of the TestFlight mod, which is installed by default together with RP-0. The idea is to simulate the reliability improvement that is a feature of technology development in real life. Basically, the reliability of a particular part improves the more you use/test it.

Check the Deadly Reentry multipliers in the settings. Also a very prolonged reentry might just be able to keep temps down that low. I did the same thing with about 6 or 7 "skips" and barely needed the the heat shield.

I ran low on RCS and started a lifting trajectory. To conserve RCS and keep myself from going too high I decided to put the capsule in a continuous roll. It was only one skip AFAIK. What multiplier do you use?

I used the default setting, not sure of the exact values. I find that Deadly Reentry will sometimes be too harsh and sometimes too forgiving making reentries quite random

Edit: Just to point out, some probes in real life may experience dozens of G's and come out fine, but that is impossible with DE currently. Perhaps we can increase the G-tolerance of structural parts and probes as it is the actual crew members who in reality are really at risk of damage from excess G's.

Edited by plasmeus

My solar panels cut out just past Mars's orbit. Is that normal? Six 3.5EC/sec charge panels display 0.05 output. Im wondering if Im using an non-ro panel. It doesn’t say so.

Edited by Motokid600

Are you sure they are 3.5EC/sec at Earth? 3.5kW seems like a lot for panels...

Anyway, by the inverse-square law, solar panels should have ~43% of their power at Mars orbit.

I....I can't comic-sans my own thread. Sorry, moderators.

Question: Is there any easy way to launch on to the plane of the eliptic? The An / Dn aren't shown when your target is outside your SOI making it very difficult to line up for interplanetary transfers.

Question: Is there any easy way to launch on to the plane of the eliptic? The An / Dn aren't shown when your target is outside your SOI making it very difficult to line up for interplanetary transfers.

I suggest to use you KER, you simply select your planet/moon as target and than you open the menu called Rendezvous, when the degree of difference is zero is good time to launch

i just found this

A follow up on my solar panel issue. I was mistaken. They are the Xt1 Solar Panel Array Mk1 by Probodobodyne ( whoever makes that mouthful ) with 7.2 EC/Min. And they are producing no charge just past Mars. 0.05 energy flow. Which is leaning me to think that these panels are thinking its the stock game. Which rings some bells with issues ive seen with RSS in the past long before i picked it up. But im having trouble finding the older posts. The only thing i can think to try at the moment is a different panel. I have dozens ranging across all the mods in the recommended list. Debug is clear..

Edited by Motokid600

Release 8.3.0!

v8.3.0

* Added support for Tantares and TantaresLV (Thanks Niemand303!)

* Added RealPlume configs for AIES (Thanks Bsd0!)

* Fixed some new FASA version bugs (Thanks stratochief66!)

* Various engine config fixes (Thanks ferram4!)

* Procedural SRB Gimbal range fixed (Thanks ferram4!)

* Bugfixes for AIES antenna configs (Thanks pjf!)

* Probe Core Fixes for RP-0 compatibility (Thanks NathanKell!)

* Updated Procedural Thrustplate Max Temp (Thanks TheVoid2, Phredward!)

* Added some RealPlume configs for stock RO engines (Thanks ferram4!)

* Added a couple new FX for RealPlume (Thanks ferram4!)

* Added craft files (Thanks NathanKell, stratochief66!)

Release 8.3.0!

v8.3.0

* Added support for Tantares and TantaresLV (Thanks Niemand303!)

* Added RealPlume configs for AIES (Thanks Bsd0!)

* Fixed some new FASA version bugs (Thanks stratochief66!)

* Various engine config fixes (Thanks ferram4!)

* Procedural SRB Gimbal range fixed (Thanks ferram4!)

* Bugfixes for AIES antenna configs (Thanks pjf!)

* Probe Core Fixes for RP-0 compatibility (Thanks NathanKell!)

* Updated Procedural Thrustplate Max Temp (Thanks TheVoid2, Phredward!)

* Added some RealPlume configs for stock RO engines (Thanks ferram4!)

* Added a couple new FX for RealPlume (Thanks ferram4!)

* Added craft files (Thanks NathanKell, stratochief66!)

Sweet! It looks like my thrust plate issue is resolved!

Hello!

I have a question about these videos I was watching recently.

What means does this guy use for attitude control while his thrusters are all off?

Mainly I mean the roll channel of the actual rocket stages.

And what are the four tiny things near the solids decouplers on the bottom stage of Delta II?

Thank you!

Downloading!

i know you had a request for the Vikas/Viking engine. Could you do another request (do his first, though - first come, first serve!)?

-RO needs a lone RS-25 (SSME.) I know that we have the Soviet equivalents, but still, do it for 'Murica?