[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

none taken mate thats my thoughts exactly, im asking because most of the time people say you just learn by doing but i dont want to "do" and get it wrong so i wanted to know where the best learning resources for this would be so i could learn without screwing it up for others,
I don't wanna be offensive, but I believe that someone with no expirinece (as you say) would do more damage than actual work, so I think we just wait. :wink:

So, in general, the best way to learn how to do this stuff is to figure out what you want to do (make a mod pack compatible with RO?), and start copying what other people have done for other mod packs, and kind of reverse engineer the module manager config files.

If you ever run into a wall, and can't keep going, pop onto the IRC channel for RO and ask for help, there's always people online, who can hopefully answer your question.

RO WebChat

Is it just me, or do all the RCS thrusters (no matter what type) seem really weak? The max thrust for all of them is like 0.46 (by checking the show engine gui menu) even at the highest tech level and most powerful fuel. Are there any more powerful RCS Thrusters that works with RO?

Is it just me, or do all the RCS thrusters (no matter what type) seem really weak? The max thrust for all of them is like 0.46 (by checking the show engine gui menu) even at the highest tech level and most powerful fuel. Are there any more powerful RCS Thrusters that works with RO?

Different fuel will give different thrust.

Different fuel will give different thrust.

I know they do. That's why I mentioned in my last post that I tried fuels like Aerozine + N2O4 on the most powerful RCS thruster and the thrust is still around 0.46. Can it get any larger than that? Are there different RCS thrusters can can give a thrust greater than 0.46?

- - - Updated - - -

"Most" engines used IRL as ACS/RCS are 'weak'. There are some that are 4N range, that's 0.004 in KSP kN speak. Space shuttle RCS coarse thrusters are in the 3kN range if I recall correctly.

I see. So does RO include RCS that are in the 3kN range? Because I can't seem to find any (or maybe I'm mixing up Kerbal speak with units in kN)

Yet another you need to unlearn everything you have learned from stock KSP. That and most things DON'T have reaction wheels making RCS necessary. This is where knowing CG and placing RCS as far away from it as you can will help increase the effectiveness. One of the better examples is why the nitrogen RCS on SpaceX Falcon is clear on the top of the 1st stage/interstage. When getting close to empty the CG of the 1st stage stack is so far on the bottom that distance gives increases the moment arm substantially.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember honestly.

Yet another you need to unlearn everything you have learned from stock KSP. That and most things DON'T have reaction wheels making RCS necessary. This is where knowing CG and placing RCS as far away from it as you can will help increase the effectiveness. One of the better examples is why the nitrogen RCS on SpaceX Falcon is clear on the top of the 1st stage/interstage. When getting close to empty the CG of the 1st stage stack is so far on the bottom that distance gives increases the moment arm substantially.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember honestly.

I have already learned and gotten used to the fact that the RCS wheels on RO are nerfed like IRL. That's why I'm looking for more powerful RCS thrusters to move my heavy refueling station module around in orbit. The RCS thrusters in RO are nothing as powerful as the thrusters found in the Shuttle.

Edited by Insanitic

none taken mate thats my thoughts exactly, im asking because most of the time people say you just learn by doing but i dont want to "do" and get it wrong so i wanted to know where the best learning resources for this would be so i could learn without screwing it up for others,

If you make the changes and submit them on github it won't automatically go into the mod; the people in charge have to sign off on changes. So you should feel free to submit fixes and changes without worry. Most of the time, the authors will leave a comment on your change with helpful advice about how to make it better.

Has anyone been able to get RO and its required mods to work in Windows KSP x64 v0.90? If so, how'd you do it?

P.S. I don't want to hear replies about Win64 instability. I'd just like a response from those who have been able to accomplish the above. Thanks!

Has anyone been able to get RO and its required mods to work in Windows KSP x64 v0.90? If so, how'd you do it?

P.S. I don't want to hear replies about Win64 instability. I'd just like a response from those who have been able to accomplish the above. Thanks!

I think if someone`s wanna do something impossible then letting him know that`s impossible is good to do, even if he wants to hear that is possible. :(

Edited by FennexFox

I think if someone`s wanna do something impossible then let him know that`s impossible is good to do, even if he wants to hear that is possible. :(

"Impossible" is a very strong word. How do you know it's impossible?

"Impossible" is a very strong word. How do you know it's impossible?

Strictly speaking, it's not. It would involve downloading the source code and recompiling it for Win64. If you can do that, you probably also know to not come crying when it breaks horribly on you.

If that's too much work for you, well, too bad.

Strictly speaking, it's not. It would involve downloading the source code and recompiling it for Win64. If you can do that, you probably also know to not come crying when it breaks horribly on you.

If that's too much work for you, well, too bad.

Is that all that is required? If that's it then I will give it a go and report back. I think Real Fuels and Procedural Parts are the problem areas though.

Is that all that is required? If that's it then I will give it a go and report back. I think Real Fuels and Procedural Parts are the problem areas though.

Considering RO itself isn't even a plugin - well pre 1.0 it isn't, then yes RF PP etc will be the problem. RO is a series of many plugins, and getting them all to work in Windows x64, especially when Windowx x64 stock doesn't even work, is a challenge.

Frankly don't report back. These plugins are expressly not distributed for Windows x64 for for a reason. If you have the technical knowledge to make them work for you, great, but that isn't something that needs to be shared, and frankly I doubt you will get it to work. Even those of us who build them don't run it in Windows x64 as much as we'd like to. It is just not stable enough.

Considering RO itself isn't even a plugin - well pre 1.0 it isn't, then yes RF PP etc will be the problem. RO is a series of many plugins, and getting them all to work in Windows x64, especially when Windowx x64 stock doesn't even work, is a challenge.

Frankly don't report back. These plugins are expressly not distributed for Windows x64 for for a reason. If you have the technical knowledge to make them work for you, great, but that isn't something that needs to be shared, and frankly I doubt you will get it to work. Even those of us who build them don't run it in Windows x64 as much as we'd like to. It is just not stable enough.

Here is my report back at this point.

I've successfully have gotten Real Fuels to work with Procedural Parts and Realism Overhaul in v.90 KSP 64 bit Windows. I had to recompile RF, PP and RO .dlls using this method, more or less: (post 943)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70676-0-90WIP-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-0-9-21-Dec-19/page95?highlight=x64

I have gotten RF, PP and RO (with only its required mods) able to work just fine. I can use procedural parts and adjust tanks, and change real fuels.

When I expand RO to the recommended mods, like AIES are causing loading hangs. I think that is just .cfg file issues. I will narrow down these issues, but I think the hardest part is over.

I'm excited.

I hate to be the killjoy, but the hardest part is keeping it from crashing every 30 minutes or whenever you sneeze at it, so it's far from over.

Please refer to post 1635. I don't want the discussion I'm involved in going down this path.

pditty: congrats on your attempt. May I suggest you start your own thread with your adventures. Win64 builds are not officially supported, and therefore can confuse people, especially new ones by populating this thread.

Here is my report back at this point.

I've successfully have gotten Real Fuels to work with Procedural Parts and Realism Overhaul in v.90 KSP 64 bit Windows. I had to recompile RF, PP and RO .dlls using this method, more or less: (post 943)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70676-0-90WIP-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-0-9-21-Dec-19/page95?highlight=x64

I have gotten RF, PP and RO (with only its required mods) able to work just fine. I can use procedural parts and adjust tanks, and change real fuels.

When I expand RO to the recommended mods, like AIES are causing loading hangs. I think that is just .cfg file issues. I will narrow down these issues, but I think the hardest part is over.

I'm excited.

You still seem to be missing the point. To put it bluntly, we don't want people playing with the x64 bit versions. If you can personally get it to work, great but don't post about it here. Just play it and enjoy it and keep all the fun to yourself.

I don't think that's the wisest thing for the modding community. How else do modders share their discoveries?

This is not a discovery. This is you circumventing checks and protections that were put in for a reason. And also you being annoying and deliberately obtuse about it - something that really ought to be a bannable offense IMO. So. Please. Stop.

This is not a discovery. This is you circumventing checks and protections that were put in for a reason. And also you being annoying and deliberately obtuse about it - something that really ought to be a bannable offense IMO. So. Please. Stop.

I'd respectfully be inclined to not circumventing the checks if the mod creator asked me not to do so.

I think there are RO Win64 users that are curious to know how RO may work in KSP x64, and they'd think this information is helpful.

Why the rude remarks?

I'd respectfully be inclined to not circumventing the checks if the mod creator asked me not to do so.

I think there are RO Win64 users that are curious to know how RO may work in KSP x64, and they'd think this information is helpful.

Why the rude remarks?

Wow, a lot of upsets here, I didn`t expected these...

anyway, there was a really long and tough times to get along with x64 full of failure, and full of noobs who crying over the instability which is not RO team`s fault, then they decided to state x64 isn`t supported. That`s why they are upset on even talking about x64 thing. They`re really tired of it.

Edited by FennexFox

snip

id also point out that as ksp 1.0 is not distributed with a win x64 version and squad have officially announced that winx64 version will no longer be supported by them until unity is fixed and RO is now being updated to 1.0 there is absolutely no point in you even bothering with win64 version of .90 because soon it will be obsolete and that will be yet another reason why your posting about would be annoying to the people who maintain this thread.

honestly dude just stop, so far your posts have provided little of any use to any one and it seems to me from reading them that your only trying to start an argument or at the very least annoy the people who maintain this thread and the mod pack itself