[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Release 10.0!

Changelog:

v10.0

Compatible with KSP version 1.0.x!

High-Level changes:

• Major overhaul of resources to port to RealFuels with Community Resource Pack
  • Solid Rockets now have Real Fuels!
  • All supported engines have RealPlume effects
  • Created prefab Plumes, simplifies RealPlume process greatly.
  • Fixed broken attachnodes for older parts
  • Updated to new DRE heat shields
  • Added FilterExtensions config to quarantine non-RO parts into their own category
  • Fixed Manufacturer names across the board
  • Added compatibility for latest Ven's Stock Revamp
  • Added compatibility for Raidernick's part packs
  • Updated craft files
  • Many many part fixes across the board.

Notes:

While compatibility for all the mods in the Recommended list hasn't changed, we'll be going over all supported mods to make sure we've covered all our bases. If you find a part that needs fixing, hop onto the RO irc channel (#RO on espernet, webchat link) and we'll help you get it fixed!

As always, we're always looking for people to help out keep this mod up to date with the many-many part packs we support, so hop onto the IRC channel and we'll help you out!

- - - Updated - - -

One final note, CKAN install update is in progress, will post here once we've got that ready to go!

~~Hi, should I bother waiting until tomorrow for CKAN to update or download everything manually?~~ Nvm, ended up doing manual install

Also: Huge congratulations on the release Nathan, and everyone else that contributed. I only wish the tiny bits of contributions I did were still used (Limited ignition configs) but I guess one must leave things behind for progress. Anyways, I thank all of the Realism Overhaul/RSS community for releasing V10.0!

Edited by coldblade2000

RSS/RO reentry question: I set up a 51km periapsis coming back from the moon in the Mk1-2 pod and the 4-meter heat shield (regular 4-meter, not the Mk1-2) exploded from overheating somewhere around 70-68km. My question is: did I come in too steep or too shallow?

Probably too steep. The steeper your ascent, the lower the total heat load (to a certain extent), but the higher the peak heating flux. Too high a peak heating flux will burn through your shield locally. BTW, do note that the "DRE" heat shields are not lunar-rated, the stock ones are. Read the descriptions. :)

51 does sound rather low, I'd expect 55-60?

Is this supposed to be working on CKAN yet, because I'm having nothing but fits with it screaming about anything that asks for RO in the dependencies on CKAN with the message

"Module RealismOverhaul has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP"

edit - saw the little blurb at the very bottom of Fel's post...

nm.

Edited by rakutenshi

Probably too steep. The steeper your ascent, the lower the total heat load (to a certain extent), but the higher the peak heating flux. Too high a peak heating flux will burn through your shield locally. BTW, do note that the "DRE" heat shields are not lunar-rated, the stock ones are. Read the descriptions. :)

51 does sound rather low, I'd expect 55-60?

R... read?? My god, man, do you think I'm a rocket scientist or something? :P

In all seriousness, I never even considered there'd be different shields for orbital vs. lunar / interplanetary and thought it was just up to ablator amount.

As for the return periapsis, it's been so long since I've tried that sort of reentry I simply wasn't sure what I should be aiming for. I got 51km by looking at what Trajectories' curves would indicate a return instead of a bounce, but maybe it's not quite adjusting for RSS/RO correctly.

am I doing something wrong or are all the stock parts and most of the AIES parts supposed to be showing up as non RO?

Also a bit suspicious that I can only fit a 4m long tank on a redstone motor - any larger and I don't have TWR>1.

edit:

part 1 seems to be a result of a sneaky RF Stockalike config staying loaded (thought I got them all, but newp, missed it)

part 2, similar to ANWRocketman's suggestion below, but not quite,, switching to a Balloon type RFP tank signifigantly reduced the weight of the tank itself and made things fly much much better.

Edited by rakutenshi

am I doing something wrong or are all the stock parts and most of the AIES parts supposed to be showing up as non RO?

Also a bit suspicious that I can only fit a 4m long tank on a redstone motor - any larger and I don't have TWR>1.

The procedural tanks aren't balanced exactly for the redstone fuel tanks. If you want a Redstone rocket just use the FASA tanks or adjust the %utilization on the tank(to increase the amount of fuel stored in the tank). Thus a smaller(and lighter) tank can hold the same amount of fuel as the larger one. Adjust it until you find a proper balance.

Hello, I've noticed that the newest release no longer includes a RemoteTech settings.txt file with the ground stations and the correct ranges for the antennas.

I can fetch the one previously included in the past releases (i've got a copy somwhere on my HD), but do you believe there have been some changes that make it unsuitable? Does somebody plan on producing a new one soon?

Thank you for you support

Hello, I've noticed that the newest release no longer includes a RemoteTech settings.txt file with the ground stations and the correct ranges for the antennas.

I can fetch the one previously included in the past releases (i've got a copy somwhere on my HD), but do you believe there have been some changes that make it unsuitable? Does somebody plan on producing a new one soon?

Thank you for you support

If you look right under the RO download button in the OP, there should be a RemoteTech settings file download link.

Nice going guys. Installing everything as I type.

Now since you're all done, just a small request;

And there's the basis for a mod - actually a whole expansion!! Populate with a handful of the nearest stars and their bodies. Add more "nearfuture" parts. Create generation ships. Expand refueling stations into permanently habitable "waystations".

I'll be back in 2 days to download the complete and bug free version. Cheers ;)

Get to work!! :P

Edited by Pronoes

excelent work on 1.0 guys :), i have 3 questions,

for some reason i cant select the launch site on the map, theres no symbols but all the nodes for RT are there... How do i fix this?

i had a load of additional textures for proc fuel tanks in my last install can i just transfer them over to this one without issue?

and is there a cloud mod that gives earth clouds and makes venus and titan look like venus and titan?

Congratulations on the 1.0 release!

But i have a little question/concern:

How do we now use ion engines, or anything Near Future Propulsion delivers, now that Orbit Manipulator is completely outdated and got removed from the recommendations?

There have been a few update requests on the Orbit Manipulator thread already, but it looks pretty much dead. Will there be alternatives? Or will low-thrust engines have scaled-up thrust for now?

If i'm not mistaken, there had been plans to maybe implement warpable engines in the Principia project from Eggrobin (once it's ready). I'll be staying tuned!

Edited by Tonnz

If you look right under the RO download button in the OP, there should be a RemoteTech settings file download link.

that link is broken, at least to me. I had tried it before posting and my guess was that it pointed to the remoteTech folder within the old RO repository on github, but since the remotetech folder is missing from the latest release that link doesn't point anywhere.