[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Running the 32bit exe of KSP on Win64 is just fine. In fact there is no 64bit executable for KSP-Win.
Indeed. I was talking about the 64bit KSP executable for Windows, but I could have been clearer :-)

I suspect though that he is running 32bit KSP on 64bit windows like the rest of us, after re-reading his post.

IIRC Windows 64bit is badly broken. I do recall hearing that 64bit is only supported on Linux.

I would love to be corrected on that though.

I think he means he is running 64bit windows rather than 64bit ksp. Of course that could mean he is running either version, (KSP 64 generally worked ok on Windows for me, but I am bragging now :P)

Btw, are you planning to add configs for the asteroid day mod? I'd imagine a high capacity probe core with integrated reaction wheels could be rather usefull, and the big solar panel ofc too.

Is it normal that the KVD1/CE75 vacuum engine spins like crazy ?

I have a perfectly symmetrical satellite with my thrust vector aligned with the center of mass and when I only use the KVD-1 engine it's perfectly stable, but as soon as I start the CE75 small engines (the ones that are supposed to allow me to turn) the ship starts spinning (if I don't press any keys). I have to fight it really hard to keep it straight it's kind of annoying (I don't have SAS on my ship).

Does this work in 1.0.4?
As pointed out already, sadly no. Which sucks bigtime because Steam auto-upgrades your program by default (and INSISTS that you upgrade before you launch) so it's really really easy to find yourself up the proverbial without a paddle. I had kinda shelved KSP for a few months waiting for everything to catch up to 1.0 in the, now I see, misguided hope things would stabilise, but the minor number upgrades like .0.1, .0.2, .0.3 and .0.4 are anything but.

The upshot of which has been that I now want to try it, find the default game boring as hell, and now can't play the damn thing because there is no 'legal' way to lay my sticky fingers on 1.0.2 - despite the fact that I'm a paying customer. Damn, I should have half-inched it in the first place. Support like this doesn't deserve my custom :(

However, on the other hand, I suppose it's technically impossible for me to pirate something I already own....

Still, very irritating.

Just for reference, you can drag the entire KSP directory out of steamapps and copy it anywhere you want on your system, as many copies as you want. When you do this, Steam won't touch those directories and so you can continue to use older versions even after Steam updates KSP. It is hard to roll back if you haven't made any backup directories, though.

Nope.

Odd, it's working fine for me (I was playing last night). Career is of course broken but that's known. Science and sandbox worked fine - I put together and launched explorer 1.

Odd, it's working fine for me (I was playing last night). Career is of course broken but that's known. Science and sandbox worked fine - I put together and launched explorer 1.

Maybe you're just lucky, most other reports said it isn't? Guess you might try manually updating the dependencies, now where RF is up to date, but who knows what's then correctly changed by ROs configs and what's not.

To the one who are having problems with autoupdate: you can switch it of. You can as well rename the folder, so steam won't touch it.

Copy "Kerbal Space Program" folder. Right click, paste. Rename as desired. Rinse and repeat. You can have as many copies as you like.

Personally I have 1.04 steam version with a couple of mods, 1.02 with every mod I like, 1.02 with a box basic RO/RSS install, 1.02 with RO/RSS for testing purposes, a plain copy of 1.02 and a plain copy of 1.04. Just remember to add them to ckan and make sure you update the right one if using mods.

I just wish I had split partitioned my drive earlier. I am not at all familiar with Linux (took me about 6 hours to install, get gfx driver and install steam/ksp), but can't wait til I can run all the mods on there. I was too late to install 1.02 on it, but have a couple of versions of 1.04 64bit linux waiting for mods to catch up.

Edited by Pronoes

Thank you Mal and Rothank. Actually, I'm running KSP 1.0.2 for win64bits in a linux 64bit configuration. I'm using a windows emulator.

Why are you using an emulator?(i quess you mean wine)

Why not just run the Linux version?

To the one who are having problems with autoupdate: you can switch it of.

This is false information, Steam will always update your games, no matter what you do. You can set it to only update on launch, but it still updates.

Only way to make sure to have a "save copy" is to do what Pronoes said (I have 4 or 5 instances in various configurations).

Is it possible to aerobrake with the whole modpack ?

I had a small satellite with 2 material bays filled with science parts fly by the moon and come back and I wanted to use the atmosphere to come back to earth, but even with a periapsis of 120km my probe just explode the first time i go trough the atmosphere.

I didn't expect aerobraking to be easy but exploding at the very edge of the atmosphere seems a bit crazy to me. (I had a heatshiel too and a tail connector A on top to keep the heatshield pointed prograde)

Edited by columini

Krakenfour: hypersonic and newtonian convection were modified to provide realish values (example: it's known that flux per m^2 peaked at ~800kW for Mercury during reentry, and the shock temperatures are known at interface and at q"max).

Just for reference, you can drag the entire KSP directory out of steamapps and copy it anywhere you want on your system, as many copies as you want. When you do this, Steam won't touch those directories and so you can continue to use older versions even after Steam updates KSP. It is hard to roll back if you haven't made any backup directories, though.
Yeah, but I *had* it on auto-update - the default. By the time I found out that the minor digit upgrades were major breaking changes - well, there I was - majorly and royally screwed over.

I love RO but in the meantime while im waiting for the update, is there a mod that makes the RCS systems behave in a realistic manner the same way RO does? can I just use real fuels for this?

Release 10.1 - KSP 1.0.4 Compatibility!

v10.1

Plumes

• RealPlume has been split from Realism Overhaul but is still required, make sure to delete your old Realism Overhaul GameData folder before installing.
  • Some plume refinements have been made, should affect all engines using the generic plumes.
  • Some engines had their plume scaling/offset fixed.
  • Known issue - Plume expansion is not as significant as on real engines. This will be improved with future RealPlume releases.

Spaceplanes

• Fix attachnodes for Squad spaceplane/adapter parts
  • Add rescaled Mk1 parts in RO spaceplane size (i.e. to fit with Mk2 parts). Old Mk1 parts are renamed "1.25m" parts.
  • Spaceplane max temperatures altered such that reentry is survivable.

Other patches (with continuing thanks to A1Ch1 for many of these)

• Ariane 4 fixes
  • M55 fixes for VSR.
  • Near Future Electrics path fixes.
  • Ullage and ignition works with RF now. Thanks @A1Ch1 and @e14159!
  • Fixed storage range on EVA (thanks glilienthal).
  • Updated Physics.cfg patch for 1.0.4, including fixing the mega-flames.
  • Update Mercury RCS Isp (thanks OhioBob!)
  • Improve BobCat N1 support.
  • Improve Starshine Industries support.
  • Fix model sizing of 5-seg RSRM.
  • Fix Castor 120 dry mass.

Updated CKAN installation should come shortly!

Release 10.1 - KSP 1.0.4 Compatibility!

Updated CKAN installation should come shortly!

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated.

Now is the time to clean out the Steam KSP folder, validate local files and get a fully clean installation. The to copy that off to a safe place where Steam cannot get it's grubby little fingers on it to break the mods. Then to make a second copy of the 1.0.4 clean install, drop CKAN into that and use that for Realism Overhaul.