[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hmmm, is anyone else having an issue with Real Plume. For me it is causing this weird jitteriness. It doesn't drop any frames, it just freezes for a moment and then gets back to normal and then freezes again. I don't know if it my computer or if there is an issue with the install or what. If the engine is shut off its fine, and I removed real plume and its fine.

Hmmm, is anyone else having an issue with Real Plume. For me it is causing this weird jitteriness. It doesn't drop any frames, it just freezes for a moment and then gets back to normal and then freezes again. I don't know if it my computer or if there is an issue with the install or what. If the engine is shut off its fine, and I removed real plume and its fine.

Exactly the same here, had the same on stock KSP with Hot Rockets + Smokescreen during the launch fx, but there I can delete this effect, couldn't find such a .cfg for RO as I think it's coupled to the certain engine(?)

Otherwise it runs like a breeze here

Just Curious, what approx. year is the solar system set to? If it was set to any contemporary time that would make my interplanetary flights much easier. If it isn't set to a particular date, would it be possible to make, say, January 1, 1950? Just to add the realistic time frame which space exploration has taken place.

Exactly the same here, had the same on stock KSP with Hot Rockets + Smokescreen during the launch fx, but there I can delete this effect, couldn't find such a .cfg for RO as I think it's coupled to the certain engine(?)

Unfortunately, I just removed it from the folder which killed all the engine effects. I will see if I can fix the issue. I may try reinstalling Real Plume.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok managed to get it to run with stock engine effects. I removed the RealPlume_Configs folder from the Realism Overhaul folder in GameData. Still don't know why Real Plume won't work.

Is it normal for my game to almost be done loading and it stopping on a part? It shouldn't be RAM as I have ATM agressive.

I was having similar issues with RO for 1.0.2 and it turned out that I've installed RealFuels for 1.0.4 which isn't compatible with previous versions of KSP. So maybe just check out if all dependencies/recommendations are up to date.

Release 10.1 - KSP 1.0.4 Compatibility!

[...]

[*]Ullage and ignition works with RF now. Thanks @A1Ch1 and @e14159!

Hi,

I have a problem with this:

I have made some simple crossfeed design, where the booster feeding each other. Upon launch, not all of the engines ignite, because some resource is missing. When I remove the fuel lines between the boosters, every engine ignites successfully.

It seems, that the TEATEB resource is drained from one booster to ignite the other. Someone here in the forum has mentioned, that this can be solved by changing the fuel flow search for this type of resource, but I am out of luck, I cannot find any config file for this.

Can anybody help me please?

<Edit> A simple workaround was to fire the outer booster first. But this in my eyes not a proper solution.

Is there any possibility to deactivate the ullage/Engine Ignite feature in RO?

Edited by Carraux

Carraux, ullage and ignitions as such are fine additions to the realism. The current implementation however seems a little aggressive: my full 2nd stage tanks plus engine went from very stable to very unstable in the time it took me to stage the payload fairing away and stage to 2nd. I also noticed this while I was trying to get my curcularization burn and later the burn to lift the AP: it switches from stable to unstable in less than a second. I ended up using action groups to flip the engines on and off rapidly while holding down H to produce RCS thrust. Eventually the timing fits and the engine catches.

I also noticed that using hypergolic fuels with pressurized tanks also needed ullage - surely that should not be?

Carraux: good catch. For some reason TEATEB was added to the Community Resource Pack with flow. It should not flow. Fixed in dev, and when RoverDude gets around to releasing a new CRP it will be fixed in fact. Meanwhile I'll add an MM patch to RF to fix it there (same as the hsp patches).

Ratzap: The settings are the same as they were in Engine Ignitor. They almost certainly need tuning. That said, upper stages include ullage motors for a reason, even if there's only a few seconds delay between staging away the first staging and lighting the second. It probably should be at least a few seconds of stable, though...

Also: holy crap that myth just won't die. I think it's the third time this week I've encountered it. Yes, hypergolic pressure-fed stages are still subject to ullage.

First, let's consider hypergolic. Why would "the propellants don't need an ignitor" have anything to do with whether or not the pressurant diffuses in the propellant in the tanks?

Second, pressure-fed (note: not "pressurized", all tanks are pressurized. Pump-fed engines' tanks to about 2atm, pressure-fed engines' tanks much higher. That's why RF doesn't say "pressurized", it says "Highly pressurized"). Why would the fact that there's more pressurant in a tank change anything about how that pressurant diffuses? Protip: it doesn't. Same ullage issues.

The only kinds of engine-tank combos that are not subject to ullage are:

Membrane tanks: where there's actually a diaphragm between the propellant and the pressurant. It's heavy, inefficient, costly, and pretty much not used for anything except RCS.

Surface tension tanks: where there's a grid near the feed line and the propellant sticks to it because of surface tension.

Solids: because they're solid.

Redhotita1: That's the stock part, yes?

Ratzap: The settings are the same as they were in Engine Ignitor. They almost certainly need tuning. That said, upper stages include ullage motors for a reason, even if there's only a few seconds delay between staging away the first staging and lighting the second. It probably should be at least a few seconds of stable, though...

Also: holy crap that myth just won't die. I think it's the third time this week I've encountered it. Yes, hypergolic pressure-fed stages are still subject to ullage.

First, let's consider hypergolic. Why would "the propellants don't need an ignitor" have anything to do with whether or not the pressurant diffuses in the propellant in the tanks?

Second, pressure-fed (note: not "pressurized", all tanks are pressurized. Pump-fed engines' tanks to about 2atm, pressure-fed engines' tanks much higher. That's why RF doesn't say "pressurized", it says "Highly pressurized"). Why would the fact that there's more pressurant in a tank change anything about how that pressurant diffuses? Protip: it doesn't. Same ullage issues.

I have ullage on all but the first stage but like I said, it just doesn't 'stick' for long enough to light the fire so to speak. From what I was seeing just now, even the attempts to start the engine where making it switch to unstable again. I ended up keeping the RCS running and using action groups to toggle the engine on/off to eventually get it to start. With limited ignitions, this needs to be reliable.

Heh, Nathan trigger detected ;) It's just I was reading about it and the design they were talking about had the propellants in a bladder with the pressurant round it squeezing. No empty spaces, no ullage. Those must have been the membrane things you mention.

The launch effects config is in the RealPlume_Configs directory in RealismOverhaul, though I wouldn't expect that to have a huge effect, it doesn't emit that many particles...

Unfortunately, I just removed it from the folder which killed all the engine effects. I will see if I can fix the issue. I may try reinstalling Real Plume.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok managed to get it to run with stock engine effects. I removed the RealPlume_Configs folder from the Realism Overhaul folder in GameData. Still don't know why Real Plume won't work.

When you say "Real Plume won't work", you're referring to the freezing thing, right? As a point of curiosity, could you try something for me? Open up the SmokeScreen tool in-game and reduce the maximum number of particles to ~2000 (defaults to 8000, I believe) see if that improves performance.

I have the same problem with real plume, every second games pauses for like a quater to half of a second -> unplayable by my standarts

3.2gb ram usage, i5 [email protected], nV 970, fps is good and mission time is green (except when its pausing, then it's yellow)

i tried physics delta at 0.12sec, but it was no good

how do you open smoke screen tool ingame?

Uh... I just updated the SmokeScreen, i think, and now i'm having this issue

ELbaH9c.png

Before everything was fine, the effect was just awesome.

Also when switching to another vessel, the fairing of the heatshield dissapears.

Ratzap: Heh, yeah. Bladder/membrane/etc, yes, that will avoid ullage issues (with the cons noted). But Apollo SM, or Able/Delta, or whatever--those are subject to ullage despite being hypergolic pressure-fed stages.

Oh, right, one more case where (at the macro level) you don't have to worry about ullage: if your stage has boiloff, you can direct it to give a constant slight acceleration to settle the tanks.

As to upper stages: yep, working as designed, you either need ullage motors or you need to hot-stage, just like real life. :)

Generally RCS won't be useful except for small stages (though the sim will need tuning for stage size). How big a stage are we talking about?

Redhotita1: See Felger's post here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71630-1-0-SmokeScreen-2-6-5-Extended-FX-plugin-%28July-7th%29?p=2065904&viewfull=1#post2065904