[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

How you should treat parts tagged "non-RO" is "submit a patch to the RO repo adding support for them" of course! :)

Temeter: Mk3 parts should be correct in RO 10.1. Example?

As to the service bays I'll check them out.

Kookas: Sounds like either you're not launching in OpenGL mode (see the OP) or you have too many part packs installed, or too high-rez RSS textures. Use at *most* the 4096 textures, and try with only one or two part packs.

nablabla: If Isp is equal between all stages, then delta V should be distributed equally between stages. If upper stages have higher Isp (as is usually the case) then delta V contribution should be biased towards them. Say 4000 vac dV on the lower stage and 5300 on the upper for a ~300s Isp lower stage and a ~350s Isp upper stage. You also need to be careful about burn time; 2-3 minutes makes sense for a lower stage and 5 minutes for an LEO upper stage (or 7 minutes for a high-energy upper stage where you expect to circularize well after apogee).

As for reentry, pics of the craft and tell us the orbital parameters right at 130km. RO and its required and recommended mods alone (on CKAN) should give survivable reentries. We *did* test these things. :)

Oh, just checked and most of the parts work correctly. Must have still been problematic because my last install was a bit borked. Only parts with issues left is the Mk2 to Mk3 adapter (Kurvy!), which needs to have it's Mk2 node off-center, and the MK3 passenger module (nodes inside).

Thanks for taking a look at the service bays too (nodes are inside), they are really usefull on the one hand and vicious craken machines on the other!

edit: Almost forgot, spottet small issues with realplume (?), assuming this is the place to post them? Other please redirect me, i'm confused from all the dependencies and configs coming from different places.^^'

The effects stock SLS style main engine effects are to small (really cereal on big scifi locking rockets):

http://i.imgur.com/QypA49U.png

2nd one is Bobcats Soviet Engine pack! The RD270 and RD270m (conceptual superlarge single engines) plumes do look sufficiently poisonous, but otherwise rather weird:

http://i.imgur.com/RiYyzC7.jpg

3rd would be the aestus 2's plume coming out of the node of the engines. I think that's since smokescreens last update, so I can't say if I should report it as an outdated config or a mod issue...

Btw, the plumes look absolutely awesome in RO! Just looking at them is a joy, not to mention they're one reason i'm still not bored of multi-minute ascents.

Edited by Temeter

Btw, is it just for me that some nodes are borked? The stock storage compartment nodes are inside the part, same goes for a bunch of MK3 parts apart from the generic fuel tanks?

They are, the real command modules were quite a bit larger. Mercury and Apollo measured 1.9m and 3.9m diameter respectively, which was probably rounded up for practical reasons. If you need an aerodynamic configuration, use the produceral parts mod and create cone shaped structural parts/fuel tanks to stack them between parts of different sizes. Or ofc storage bays/proc interstage fairings.

If you want a smaller 3 man pod, try a soyuz mods. Should be, depending on variant, around 2.5m to 3m.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, sorry I wasn't able to get back sooner.

This is interesting, as before I installed the realism overhaul mod, and was just using Real Solar System, all the parts were automatically scaled up so that that each unit fit it's corresponding unit in diameter.

Temeter: Thanks, I'll check the mk2/mk3 adapter you mentioned and the passenger section.

Yes, here's fine for RealPlume issues with RO itself. Thanks for those finds! The best is if you could make an issue for each on the repo, so we're less likely to lose track. :)

63Hayden: Um...RSS alone doesn't change part sizes or stats at all.

I seem to be having some issues with the procedural SRB with regards to burn times when they are stacked on top of each other. they seem to revert back to its default burn values when they are loaded on the pad:

mNJfaFs.png

nEzib2h.png

i am only running realism overhaul with RSS with CKAN if that is of any help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_orbital_launch_systems

Good place to start. Weigh your payload, figure out where you want to go with it, research a launch vehicle with the right capabilities and make it in game to your own designs.

I set out to beat the SLS block 2 and designed a 140 ton 3 stage to LEO lifter. I'm going to go for 200 next.

I seem to be having some issues with the procedural SRB with regards to burn times when they are stacked on top of each other. they seem to revert back to its default burn values when they are loaded on the pad:
I'm getting exactly the same problem, i made a post on the procedural parts thread.

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but it is quite frustrating: When a rocket that has just left the atmosphere can no longer rely on its fins for orientation control, the RCS that I usually have installed on the payload itself, right at the top of the rocket, are unable to control roll. Pitch is fine, but pressing 'q' and 'e' do nothing - I checked the resource panel, and no hydrazine, or whatever the RCS is using, is being consumed. Could someone please clarify if I've encountered a bug, or if this is intended for RO? Thanks in advance.

While I'm here, I might as well explain another annoying bug that I get in the VAB. After spending a considerable amount of time constructing a rocket or spacecraft, I am unable to control symmetry or the orientation of a part, but only while hovering the part of the place I intend to install it. If I drag the part away from the design, the controls aren't locked, and I am able to install them that way - but it's really quite slow and tedious.

1. What RCS thruster(s) have you added? Are you sure that (a) the thrusters are oriented such that you _can_ get a roll moment from them, and (B) they have a long enough lever arm to apply enough torque to be noticeable?

2. Can you try to narrow down the issue? That sounds like something breaking, but I have literally no idea what. Please create the minimum mod setup that gives you the issue, then post logs. This thread is your friend: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

From the RF thread:

Hi community and NathanKell :)

First of all thanky you Nathan for your work and for this great community wich always tries to help.

I own KSP since early access, played it a lot then but appr. one year ago, I lost focus on this game. I am a youtube follower of Scott Manley so I was always up to date. His recent vid introducing CKAN (what a great relief) gave me the kick to retry KSP.

I installed RSS and RO and all the other addons mentioned in Scotts video and hopped in. Starting a new career on medium and Mün, or better now Moon or bust. :)

Soon I encountered a few problems and I would be really thankful if I could get a little help or hints.

- unthrottelable engines

how do I fine-tune my ascend or orbital maneuvers? I have the sowjet engines too but theres a little problem in career-mode. Either your engine is too weak to carry all the fuel for an orbit delta-v or it is too strong (2.3 TWR+ on first stage) and the rocket is unstable and loses control. Asparagus is not yet possible, fuel struts are a bit later in tech tree. And orbital maneuvers? Sometimes you only want to tap the throttle a bit to make fine maneuvers. RCS could be a solution but, again, the good ones come later in tech tree :)

How do you handle that? Maybe the solution is pretty simple but I am still a newb at KSP especially RSS and RO, RF.

Sorry for the long post, in other media is the custom to present a potatoe :)

Regards

Hirschi

Thanks so much! :)

First of all, RO does not support career "out of the box". Career mode requires the RP-0 mod, which is not quite updated for 1.0 yet. I suggest playing sandbox until then--certainly there's enough new stuff in RO (like real, aka not-throttling, engines! :) ) that just playing around in sandbox first is worthwhile.

In terms of how to handle things, I recommend looking through the guides on the Realism Overhaul Wiki. Like real life you're going to want to design your LVs to have a sea level TWR of about 1.15 to 1.5, and you're going to want to fine-tune your final orbit with RCS.

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but it is quite frustrating: When a rocket that has just left the atmosphere can no longer rely on its fins for orientation control, the RCS that I usually have installed on the payload itself, right at the top of the rocket, are unable to control roll. Pitch is fine, but pressing 'q' and 'e' do nothing - I checked the resource panel, and no hydrazine, or whatever the RCS is using, is being consumed. Could someone please clarify if I've encountered a bug, or if this is intended for RO? Thanks in advance.

It would help a lot if you can give us a picture of your rocket respectively the stages that reach space, especially showing the RCS configuration.

1. What RCS thruster(s) have you added? Are you sure that (a) the thrusters are oriented such that you _can_ get a roll moment from them, and (B) they have a long enough lever arm to apply enough torque to be noticeable?

2. Can you try to narrow down the issue? That sounds like something breaking, but I have literally no idea what. Please create the minimum mod setup that gives you the issue, then post logs. This thread is your friend: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Firstly, thanks a lot for replying so quickly.

You're probably right about the RCS thrusters being incapable of making a difference with lots of mass, this is further supported by the fact that when I decouple all the lower stages, and am left with just the payload, RCS is fine and I can actually perform a roll with them.

Here's the full list of the mods that I currently have installed with Realism Overhaul: http://tinypic.com/r/30rnv53/8. I'll check out that link you posted, thanks.

Oh, if it's just lacking RCS power, do it like real rockets: Put more powerful RCS (+it's own tanks) on the upper stage itself. Also, if you are new to RO: Check what kind of RCS you are using. Standard hydrazine is rather bad, in terms of thrust as it's in terms of efficiency. Aerozine (best one), UDMH, MMH or Cavea B are a lot better, and check if you maxed the thrusters tech level as well.

E.g. like this, using ProcParts/Fairings:

http://i.imgur.com/Qc0Hvxi.png

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. The reason I wasn't using a more efficient propellant for the RCS is that I already had engines using the more efficient fuel, and I wanted to ensure that I always had a reserve for orientation via RCS.

I've been having crashes with RO every few minutes of play. I'm using parts from CKAN, just updated today .. Any suggestions on where to start looking? The program bombs on an access violation. This is on windows 8.1.

error file starts with

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:1011940a.

Error occurred at 2015-07-14_204922.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by frisch.

36% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [204 MB free].

Write to location 00800000 caused an access violation.

Context:

EDI: 0x00400000 ESI: 0xf627dec8 EAX: 0x00010000

EBX: 0xd7c7bab0 ECX: 0x00800000 EDX: 0x00000000

EIP: 0x1011940a EBP: 0x00e1b1f8 SegCs: 0x00000023

EFlags: 0x00010206 ESP: 0x00e1b1d4 SegSs: 0x0000002b

I know the supporters are putting a ton of time into this. , thank you

ckan config:

{

"spec_version": "v1.6",

"identifier": "installed-default",

"version": "2015.07.15.02.39.46",

"license": "unknown",

"name": "installed-default",

"abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",

"kind": "metapackage",

"depends": [

{

"name": "RealPlumeConfigs",

"version": "provided by RealismOverhaul"

},

{

"name": "RealFuels-Engine-Configs",

"version": "provided by RealismOverhaul"

},

{

"name": "RSSTextures",

"version": "provided by RSSTextures4096"

},

{

"name": "AerodynamicModel",

"version": "provided by FerramAerospaceResearch"

},

{

"name": "FAR",

"version": "provided by FerramAerospaceResearch"

},

{

"name": "PFTextures",

"version": "provided by ProceduralFairings-ForEverything"

},

{

"name": "TACLS-Config",

"version": "provided by TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul"

},

{

"name": "NearFuturePropulsionNTRConfigs",

"version": "provided by NearFuturePropulsionExtras"

},

{

"name": "MechJeb2",

"version": "2.5.3"

},

{

"name": "RealismOverhaul",

"version": "v10.1.0"

},

{

"name": "RealSolarSystem",

"version": "v10.1"

},

{

"name": "RSSTextures4096",

"version": "v10.0"

},

{

"name": "AdvancedJetEngine",

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. The reason I wasn't using a more efficient propellant for the RCS is that I already had engines using the more efficient fuel, and I wanted to ensure that I always had a reserve for orientation via RCS.

Yeah, especially considering you want to keep the RCS fuel in high pressure tanks. Never a good idea to drain them. That's why I mentiond 'Aerozine (best one), UDMH, MMH or Cavea B', they are almost all on the same level with tiny differences. Just use what fits. Cavea B is the easiest choice, since it is true monopropellant that isn't used for anything but RCS.

Edited by Temeter

Right. I'll have to star being more efficient with my engines and such, but in the meantime I'll have to get rid of these annoying bugs.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I've already asked so many questions here, but this one is really bugging me. Is it normal for solar panels to provide practically no electric charge within Kerbin's SOI? Both the 1x6 and 2x3 photovoltaic panels, modified by RO, generate just 0.03 units of whatever when in direct sunlight. This has to be a bug right? I made sure that the only thing using electricity was the probe body, which was consuming a miniscule amount of EC. I did the math and ensured that I was getting the appropriate amount of EC with those panels, but no dice.

From the RF thread:

Thanks so much! :)

First of all, RO does not support career "out of the box". Career mode requires the RP-0 mod, which is not quite updated for 1.0 yet. I suggest playing sandbox until then--certainly there's enough new stuff in RO (like real, aka not-throttling, engines! :) ) that just playing around in sandbox first is worthwhile.

In terms of how to handle things, I recommend looking through the guides on the Realism Overhaul Wiki. Like real life you're going to want to design your LVs to have a sea level TWR of about 1.15 to 1.5, and you're going to want to fine-tune your final orbit with RCS.

Thank you :)

Regards

Hirschi

Okay, so I removed everything from my gamedata folder, save 'Squad', of course, and manually added the realism overhaul mod, Real Solar System, and the mods deemed essential for RO. That seemed to fix the solar panel issue, and so I manually added my other mods piece by piece. However, in my troubleshooting I discovered another bug, in which the Mk1 capsule, and only the Mk1 capsule is completely black, no matter the time of day. If anybody has experienced a similar issue, and can help, I would be very grateful. Thanks all who helped with my previous bugs.

Hi, I somehow can't run any new RO install (CKAN or manual install) because of the game stops at "ModuleManager", or "ModuleManager:FINAL" in the progress bar. Does anyone know why?

I have made the decision to go Realism Overhaul. I want to make a space station in LKO, and really appreciate how large space is. I'm tired of feeling like I'm orbiting a blue, spherical asteroid... I want to see THIS! (not in such detail, obviously, but I want to see more blue, less black)

ec2642fbba1befc93ed404e0e09a49c0.jpg

And thank you, the hard-working developers, modelers and people who aren't developers and/or modelers at Realism Overhaul, for making this possible!

Now I can SPACE harder than ever before! :D

I love you. No homo.

Edited by Naten