[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

I have made the decision to go Realism Overhaul. I want to make a space station in LKO, and really appreciate how large space is. I'm tired of feeling like I'm orbiting a blue, spherical asteroid... I want to see THIS! (not in such detail, obviously, but I want to see more blue, less black)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/26/42/ec2642fbba1befc93ed404e0e09a49c0.jpg

And thank you, the hard-working developers, modelers and people who aren't developers and/or modelers at Realism Overhaul, for making this possible!

Now I can SPACE harder than ever before! :D

I love you. No homo.

You should look into RVE. Its not quite fully updated, however, there is a working version for 1.04 that makes Earth at least a little better looking with clouds.

63Hayden: Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bug, just the iron laws of physics. :)

frisch: right there it says 0 MB free. That's your problem right there. Switch to Linux x64, use force-OpenGL mode, lower your RSS texture size, remove some part packs.

63Hayden: No problem! :)

As to the solar power--it's a problem in both Kopernicus and RSS. Update to the latest Kopernicus hotfix (see thread), and remove the SolarPowerCurve from RSSKopernicus.cfg (or just replace it with this version https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus.cfg )

As to the Mk1 capsule being all black, pics? Mod list? Because I sure don't get that one. :]

63Hayden: Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bug, just the iron laws of physics. :)

frisch: right there it says 0 MB free. That's your problem right there. Switch to Linux x64, use force-OpenGL mode, lower your RSS texture size, remove some part packs.

As to the solar power--it's a problem in both Kopernicus and RSS. Update to the latest Kopernicus hotfix (see thread), and remove the SolarPowerCurve from RSSKopernicus.cfg (or just replace it with this version https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus.cfg )

As to the Mk1 capsule being all black, pics? Mod list? Because I sure don't get that one. :]

For some reason, the problem seems to have gotten worse after replacing RSSKopernicus.cfg with the one from the link you posted. I made a short collage of images detailing the electric charge issue, and also the issue with the capsule being black. I also took a screenshot of the Mk-2 capsule on the launchpad to demonstrate that part is unaffected by the sun. Also, please note that I made the stupid mistake of taking the screenshots for the Mk1 and Mk1-2 capsules at different times of the day, and so the lighting is a little different in each - but the Mk1 capsule remains that shade of black no matter what. Additionally, I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but the Mk1 capsule is just fine in the VAB; the texture is loaded correctly, with no defects whatsoever. Here's the link to the image <http://tinypic.com/r/2152ys/8>. I believe I posted a link to an image containing the list of my mods that I currently have installed a couple pages back in this thread - although that has changed between now and then.

Btw, I don't know if it's just me or not, but doesn't the sun look a little small, in the first image? Thanks a lot for being so helpful, NathanKell.

Tinypic.com seems to have compressed the images, unfortunately, and so you can't see the readouts for the right-click menu. In the second one, with the probe's solar panels unfolded, the menu is displaying that panels are receiving 87% of the sun's power, but bringing in no EC at all. I believe I said earlier that they were producing very little, but still some, electric charge.

Edit no.2: It seems I didn't follow your instructions carefully enough, but after installing everything correctly I found that I still receive miniscule amounts of EC.

Edit no.3: Assuming that 'energy flow' rate means EC/s, then the modified 1x6 and 2x3 solar panels are only drawing a fraction of what they should in direct sunlight. But when I used the ST20X panel, which I believe came included in the Asteroid Day official mod, it was drawing the correct amount. So if I'm correct, the panels are supposed to provide 29.2 EC/m, and when I had them in direct sunlight they were drawing about 0.51 unspecified units. So multiply that by 60 and the result is 30.6 - somewhat more than it was supposed to provide. So it seems that the issue here is with the two unfolding panels (the non-packaged ones). The unfolding ones seem to produce almost exactly half of what they're supposed to - could this be an issue with scaling?

Edited by 63Hayden

I will verify things in my install, though I do first want to check and make sure you not only downloaded that new cfg but also downloaded the special "hotfix" dll for Kopernicus--simply installing Kopernicus 0.2 isn't enough, you then have to plop the hotfix dll on top (available here, click the dll and choose to download raw https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/tree/master/Distribution/GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins )

The sun is indeed small, and needs its flare resized, I agree.

Units in the right-click menu are in kW (1 EC = 1 kJ, 1 EC/sec = 1 kW) in Realism Overhaul.

The capsule...I bet I know what's wrong. Is DRE installed or not installed right now?

DRE is not installed, no. But I did replace the dll for Kopernicus and the cfg file for RSS. Oh, but I did install Realheat, as it was one of the dependencies.

Edit: Okay, the patches for the Kopernicus and RSS appear to have solved the solar panel issue. Perhaps you could include that in the latest release.

Edit 2: This may or may not be of use, but the Gemini capsule from the FASA pack is also black while on the launchpad. It seems that something in the game is treating textures that are mostly dark as pure black textures - I feel it's highly unlikely that this is a coincidence.

Edited by 63Hayden

The modificator for the capacitor banks of near future electrical doesnt make much sense, unless it is intended to make those parts useless. With the given multiplicator, their storage / mass ratio is just as good as regular batteries.

You should look into RVE. Its not quite fully updated' date=' however, there is a working version for 1.04 that makes Earth at least a little better looking with clouds.[/quote']

Thank you! It looks great, will try. :D

I am only using 1,528 MB right after I loaded up KSP according to the Task Manager, so I'm sure I can afford some eye candy. :)

EDIT: He removed the DL links because people were complaining about bugs and stuff D:

Edited by Naten

Thanks, you are of course correct. I hadn't played RO since 0.9 and it looks like 1.05 uses a LOT more memory. I tried texture reducer but it doesn't help enough.

Linux - not so easy. I have a linux box, but I use it as a server, no graphics card, and its a generation old. I guess I could dual boot my main desktop, but that's work too,

Any word on when 64 bit kerbal (presumably unity5) is likely to be out? Maybe I can just wait. I think I still have a 0.9 install I could use....

I appreciate the work you guys put into this.

This mod screenshots are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The mod folders have been unzipped and tranfered into my Game Data folder for KSP version 1.0.4 however, it takes forever to load when I launch the game. I waited over 4 hours but the game crashed. Is this a bug problem and please tell me how it can be fixed?

Thanks

Aluminum Oxide : check that You have all the prerequisites described in OP, and then check KSP_Data/output_log.txt - most probably it is looking for some resource, which is undeclared (no CommunityResourcePack, no RealFuels etc).

=====8<================================================================

I've been trying latest RO with VenStockRevamp and some parts do look ugly. I do not use non-procedural tanks, but here's what I can say for now:

Baby Sergeant SRB - bottom node is not ok (too high)

LM Ascent Engine - model bug (tearing of gimbal rods); suggesting check for FASA and remove if FASA is installed

former RLA MPR-45 - model scale is bad

Aestus II - model bug (tearing of gimbal rods); needs completely other model TBH

RS-88 - plain ugly

KVD-1/CE-7.5 Vacuum Engine - model bug

RD-0210/0213 - strange looking

AJ10-137 - plain ugly; why not use RLA MPR-45 model instead? Or check for FASA and remove if FASA is installed

Merlin Family Rocket Engine - model bug, extremely thin, nodes misplaced

J-2T-200/250K - there are two of them, one from VenStockRevamp and one from RLA, but with identical stats. I like more diversity.

F-1 from VenStockRevamp - ugly; Hakari one is much, much better; suggesting check for Hakari/FASA and remove if Hakari or FASA is installed

Pyrios Booster - engine scale is completely wrong (supposed to have 2*F-1B, but engines are tiny). I'll prune this one cause it seems hopeless.

XLR11 from FASA - model scale is so wrong, it is so thin - makes me laugh :-)

Egg-Shaped Fairing - US, Egg-Shaped Fairing - STStock, Egg-Shaped Fairing - Stock Tank - they do not look nice; I'll prune them.

Some RLA model uses are clever indeed, for example their resistojet (for which I'm yet to find real life occurance tbh) is looking good as R-4D, and using their TtK-6A "Albatross" as RL60 does look good, too.

It doesn't do CryoEngines yet, but I'll provide the simplistic patch that I use myself (beware, O:F ratio isn't realistic, and gimbal range may need some adjustment):

@title = Vulcain 2 rocket engine
@manufacturer = Ottobrunn Space Propulsion Centre
@description = D=2.09m, L=3.44m, TWR=152.4
@rescaleFactor = 2 // 1.67 gives nozzle D=1.68
@bulkheadProfiles = size2
@mass = 0.909
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] {
@maxThrust = 1359
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 429
@key,1 = 1 360
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-125-2]:FINAL { // CryoEngines Ct10 'Chelyabinsk' Cryogenic Rocket Engine
@title = RL-10B-2 rocket engine
@manufacturer = Pratt & Whitney
@description = D=2.13m (frame 2.5m), L=4.14m, TWR=40.52. Nozzle extends when activated.
@rescaleFactor = 2 // 1.7 gives nozzle D=1.8m
@bulkheadProfiles = size2
@mass = 0.277
@maxThrust = 110.1
@atmosphereCurve {
@key = 0 465.5 // 462?
@key = 1 140
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-25-1]:FINAL { // CryoEngines KS-01 'Odin' Cryogenic Rocket Engine
@title = LE-7A rocket engine
@manufacturer = Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
@description = D=3.75m (4m IRL), L=3.67m, TWR=62.18
@rescaleFactor = 1.5
@bulkheadProfiles = size3
@mass = 1.8
@maxThrust = 1098
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 438
@key,1 = 1 338
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-25-2]:FINAL { // CryoEngines CT2X 'Tunguska' Cryogenic Rocket Engine
@title = J-2X rocket engine
@manufacturer = Rocketdyne
@description = D=3.05m (frame 5.25m), L=4.7m, TWR=54.95
@rescaleFactor = 2.11 // 1.22 gives nozzle of D=1.75m and frame D=3.05; 1.5 gives nozzle of D=2.165m
@bulkheadProfiles = size4
@mass = 2.43
@maxThrust = 1310
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 448
@key,1 = 1 200
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-375-1]:FINAL { // CryoEngines KS-68 'Mars' Cryogenic Rocket Engine
@title = RS-68A rocket engine
@manufacturer = Pratt & Whitney / Aerojet Rocketdyne
@description = D=2.43m (frame 4.225m), L=5.2m, TWR=51.2
@rescaleFactor = 1.128 // 0.65 gives nozzle D=1.4m
@bulkheadProfiles = size4
@mass = 6.74
@maxThrust = 3560 // must be 3140 at SL
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 414
@key,1 = 1 365
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-375-2]:FINAL { // CryoEngines Ct65 'Yucatan' Cryogenic Rocket Engine
@title = RD-0120 rocket engine
@manufacturer = KBKhA Design Bureau
@description = D=2.42m (frame 7.07m), L=4.55m, TWR=58
@rescaleFactor = 1.1 // 0.645 gives nozzle D=1.44m
@bulkheadProfiles = size5
@mass = 3.45
@maxThrust = 1961.3 // must be 1526 at SL
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 455
@key,1 = 1 359 // other source 354
} // atmosphereCurve
} // ModuleEnginesFX
} // PART

@PART[cryoengine-*]:FINAL { @MODULE[ModuleGimbal] { @gimbalRange = 8 } } // all CryoEngines
@PART[cryoengine-125-1]:FINAL {  // CryoEngines VL-1 'Volcano' Cryogenic Rocket Engine

The scale in this patch is close to original, and stats are real, but it doesn't have ModuleEngineConfigs nor ModuleEngineIgnitor - feel free to add :-D

I'd like to know why RO brings TweakScale's "Unknown Mystery Component" along with Procedural Fairings dummy "Upgrade" "parts" to FilterExtensions menu. This is wrong. Also I had to get rid of RealismOverhaul/Filter_Extensions_Configs cause they kinda broke FilterExtensions for me - wasn't able to sort by mod folder for example, and I literally can't play without that.

Oh, and one more thing: when I first saw Conic Cockpit, I actually LOL'd - it's so naÑ—ve, couldn't stand it :-D

Edited by cipherpunks

Aluminum Oxide : check that You have all the prerequisites described in OP, and then check KSP_Data/output_log.txt - most probably it is looking for some resource, which is undeclared (e.g. you have no CommunityResourcePack, or no RealFuels etc).

Please check what I've said before, and provide above mentioned log if some prerequisite absence is not the case. Also, installing GCMonitor might show You if You're over 3.5gb RAM limit. If that's the case, use the settings menu and set texture quality = 1/2, etc.

RealPlume seems to be causing a lot of lag on my machine when using Kerolox engines. This is most likely due to the huge amount of (smoke) particles emitted.

It would be nice to have an option to reduce the particle count, for now I had to "delete" the Kerolox configs which increased fps from <10 to 40 when firing Kerolox engines and allows physics to run in real time(green) while doing so. I should note that my GPU only has 2 GB of vram.

I was hoping somebody can help me with a problem I have been having. I have realism overhaul installed and whenever I launch the game, it loads and gets stuck at this screen-https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipdcae3bo86yooe/screenshot2.png?dl=0

Here is my Ksp log-https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj90fyiaih49pdg/KSP.log?dl=0

And my output log-https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e0d85si0z1apc8/output_log.txt?dl=0

RealPlume seems to be causing a lot of lag on my machine when using Kerolox engines. This is most likely due to the huge amount of (smoke) particles emitted.

It would be nice to have an option to reduce the particle count, for now I had to "delete" the Kerolox configs which increased fps from <10 to 40 when firing Kerolox engines and allows physics to run in real time(green) while doing so. I should note that my GPU only has 2 GB of vram.

There is a way to reduce the particle count, and that is to open up the SmokeScreen options menu (you need the toolbar mod installed), and set the maximum particle count to something lower.

my output log-https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e0d85si0z1apc8/output_log.txt?dl=0
Guess that's unrelated, but You have lots of those:

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=4988 w=26 h=26 mips=5 d3dfmt=894720068 [invalid call]

where I have none, loading the same mods. Maybe that's because You have something called NvidiaTextureTools v1.0.0.0 ?

Also strange are those lines:

Non-DLL mods added (:FOR[xxx]):
[...]
zRealPlume
RealPlume
zzRealPlume

I have RealPlume too, but no such lines in my log.

I see quite a few probes say this:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'explorer.6'
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ModuleDeployableSolarPanel.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DragCubeSystem+^B.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Guess it's harmless, but still, maybe try to start without probe packs and stuff first ?

Have You tried enabling just the bare minimum of what RO needs, and starting KSP? Cause You have lots of mods in that log...

Anyway, for whom may wonder, the log ends in:

[PQS]: PQS already marked as started during Start() method. This is probably wrong! <= line is repeating as always
[CelestialBody]: Kerbin's solar day length is 3d, 5h, 56m long. sidereal day length is 3d, 5h, 56m long
HighlightingSystem : Framebuffer depth data is not available and can't be used to occlude highlighting. Highlighting occluders enabled.
[Kopernicus]: Post-Spawn
Found max distance 7285326303016.2
[Kopernicus]: StarLightSwitcher: Set active star => Sun
[SmokeScreen PersistentEmitterManager] : OnSceneChange
MissingMethodException: [B]Method not found: 'RDTechTree.GetTreeNodes'.[/B]
at TechManager.TechManager.OnGameSceneLoadRequested (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at HighLogic.LoadScene (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PSystemSetup+^V^G.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So my guess would be try without RP-0 also.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been trying latest RO with VenStockRevamp and some parts do look ugly. I do not use non-procedural tanks, but here's what I can say for now:

[...]

LM Ascent Engine - model bug (tearing of gimbal rods); suggesting check for FASA and remove if FASA is installed

VenRO_LMAE.jpg

Shown next to FASA one. Feel the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

That same model is used for Aestus II a.k.a RS-72, but here's the real thing - feel the difference:

rs-72-rocket-engine.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And, to put a nail in thy coffin's lid, here's Hakari low-quality F-1 vs. RO+Ven's imitation:

VenRO_F1.jpg

Worth it?

Besides, that F-1 is public domain, so maybe just include it in RO?...

Edited by cipherpunks

Checked the KSP.log and it displayed no error messages whatsoever about missing mods or RAM consumption. I tranferred the mod folders into Active texture management folder as it says on the 'other recommendations' section on the realism overhaul thread but it still continues to freeze when I load the game. Since I am a Mac OSX 10.9.5 user, is there anything I need to do to fix this problem?

Thnaks

TBH that's the 1st time in my life I've heard about putting mod filders into ActiveTextureManagement folder. I guess that won't work, cause paths in .cfg are relative to GameData. You can not see RAM consumption in log, only using that mod that I gave You the link to earlier, or with standard operating system means (top, ps auxww, taskmgr, whatever). Can't help with MacOS (being certified Apple service engineer, I hate Apple's approach to doing things, and I do not use their (censored), sorry)

There is a way to reduce the particle count, and that is to open up the SmokeScreen options menu (you need the toolbar mod installed), and set the maximum particle count to something lower.

Thanks jandcando, that was exactly what I was looking for :)