[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Galileo flew by Venus once, and by Earth twice before it got on the Jupiter trajectory, saving significant fuel on orbital insertion. Actual numbers you can find here under the Galileo paragraph.

How do you suggest doing a VEEGA (Venus, Earth, Earth Gravity Assist) trajectory? I have attempted to just launch Galileo into a 2:1 resonance orbit with Earth, which effectively just uses a final Earth fly-by. However, I was unable to get enough ÃŽâ€V to propel it to Jupiter. Given that a single fly-by trajectory seems a little complex, how should I do a VEEGA?

How do you suggest doing a VEEGA (Venus, Earth, Earth Gravity Assist) trajectory? I have attempted to just launch Galileo into a 2:1 resonance orbit with Earth, which effectively just uses a final Earth fly-by. However, I was unable to get enough ÃŽâ€V to propel it to Jupiter. Given that a single fly-by trajectory seems a little complex, how should I do a VEEGA?

Try using this tool.

Yes, they are. I would still call this a bug in the mod, however.

And for the second problem, the only workaround that seems to work is deactivating and re-activating the engines (wasting one of the ignitions). Nothing to do with ullage. Also seems to be a bug in the mod, maybe not restoring something properly on reload...

Yes, both are bugs. For me not even restarting the engines is working after the reload, the second stage is dead as a rock afterwards :(

I hope they will be fixed soon, for now I will remove the Realism Overhaul as it makes such flights impossible if you don't play them without interruption. Flights like "start today to orbit", "leave orbit to moon" tomorrow, "land on moon" the day after, etc. are impossible with these bugs.

Um, I don't see how not being able to save _while your engines are burning_ has anything to do with not being able to stop once you get to orbit and continue tomorrow.

The way stock saves in flight is by shutting your engines down, then restarting them on load. That uses an ignition.

As to inability to (re)start a stage that has >=1 ignitions remaining, I have not seen that and would like reproduction steps with a fresh craft using the latest RF and Solver Engines.

Please check what I've said before, and provide above mentioned log if some prerequisite absence is not the case. Also, installing GCMonitor might show You if You're over 3.5gb RAM limit. If that's the case, use the settings menu and set texture quality = 1/2, etc.

Set texture quality to 0.5 from 1 and when I load the game, it keeps crashing! Since I have a RSS (real solar system) folder, could that conpromize the loading of the game? Also, if you have any friends who have this epic realism overhaul mod on KSP, could you please get some advise of how to exactly install the mod folders correctly so that the game dows not crash or load endlessly. This mod is literally impossible to resist!

Thanks

I had a glitch earlier in RSS where I was trying to land on the moon, but pointing retrograde whatsoever made me spin in circles, my ship pointed itself back to prograde. This wasn't phantom torque, the gimbal itself was forcefully turning, the ship became sentient or something and didn't want me to land on the moon. Any idea what this could've been?

EDIT:Just for clarification, it was not SAS doing it. I tried it with SAS at stability assist, retrograde, and turning it off. No matter what I did, the ship violently turned itself prograde. This was no consistent turn either, I could control normally except for pointing my engines retrograde, and the turning would stop once it pointed prograde.

EDIT2:It tries to head towards prograde at the angle of 225 degrees on the navball, and will do so viciously. SAS can hold it if I don't get too close to the retrograde, but it fights back hard if I try to hold it on there. If I leave it idle and touch nothing, the RCS/reaction wheels constantly fire, trying to point itself prograde.

Edited by Strelok-

Hey, I have encountered a problem. I am running the suite of mods but KSP get stuck loading on a MK1-2. I am running OpenGL the only parts pack is FASA.

Using Windows 32bit.

Hey, I have encountered a problem. I am running the suite of mods but KSP get stuck loading on a MK1-2. I am running OpenGL the only parts pack is FASA.

Using Windows 32bit.

Double check Kopernicus is installed / installed correctly. If that doesn't help, then I shall bow out and leave you to find a real tech guy :P

I see in my KSP.log that "SCANsat resource celestial body config: [Ganymede] is empty; something probably went wrong here" and this happens to all other planetary bodies including earth. Are there Scansat resource configs included with RO? Or even biomes on each planet?

I think RSS should be added. They updated it to 1.0.X.

What do you mean? I believe it shows up as a recommended mod on CKAN but, it isn't a requirement because not everyone uses RO on RSS.

Hi Nathan,

one Q: What is the main reason you are not releasing a new version of RO? Is it

a) not stable, players should rather wait for a release.

B) you do not want to have to many releases so players don't get problems with their crafts not working anymore. However, new players should install straight from the current state of the github

c) too much work to release.

d) all of the above.

e) ?

Or asked differently, would you reccomend a new install to be from the newest version on github or ckan?

Best,

Gustav

PS: tbh, after three weeks of a crazy work schedule, I have time on Monday to play KSP, and cannot wait to try RO/RP-0 :)

Is there a config available for the announced Merlin 1D+ with the increased thrust over the 1D?

Nothing is every really "announced," but you can go into Github and add it yourself if you want. I can do it, too. It should be pretty easy.

I apologize if i just didnt read something and this answer is already here. Im definitely getting this pack and i cant wait to use it. Im just curious if theres tools for time warping to make up for the much larger distances? like if it takes 6 years to get to jupiter, does it take 6 years in the game? and can i warp to it easily?

Hi Nathan,

I just reread my post and found the sub-text might be off. What I meant to say was:

Amazing, how much progress you make on the github! Thanks a lot. Also, out of curiosity, should I install the release or the latest state of github.

And now it sounded a little bit like complaining abou the non-release.... Sorry about that. #

Occams: RSS includes some timewarp changes that increases maximum warp.

Lilienthal: No worries at all. :)

You should definitely install the latest off github, and you should try RP-0 pre #9, which I consider to be a release candidate. Assuming nothing breaks for you (and for everyone else testing) I'd like to release both shortly. :)

EDIT: And I _do_ have a bad habit of not-releasing things. pjf is good about poking me out of that, and so are you now. ^_^

With the currently released RO (as available on CKAN), I get around 40 ModuleManager issues related to RealPlume, looking like this:

[LOG 12:35:19.838] [ModuleManager] Applying node RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes/Solid-Lower/@PART

[*]:HAS[@PLUME[solid-Lower]]:AFTER[zRealPlume] to FASA/Apollo/ApolloCSM/FASA_Apollo_LES/FASAApollo_LES

[LOG 12:35:19.839] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key flarePosition in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.839] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/flarePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/flarePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/flarePosition[2]$

[LOG 12:35:19.839] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key flareScale in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.839] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/flareScale$

[LOG 12:35:19.840] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumePosition in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.840] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[2]$

[LOG 12:35:19.840] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumeScale in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.840] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumeScale$

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumePosition in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[2]$

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumeScale in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumeScale$

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumePosition in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.841] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key localPosition = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[0]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[1]$,$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumePosition[2]$

[LOG 12:35:19.842] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key plumeScale in PLUME

[LOG 12:35:19.842] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key fixedScale = #$../../../PLUME[solid-Lower]/plumeScale$

Most errors are caused by Solid-Lower in FASA parts, a few also by Hydrogen-NTR (in SXTNERVA and SDHI, although I believe the latter isn't supported by RO anyway).

I also have a different kind of ModuleManager errors seemingly caused by RO and Tantares:

[LOG 17:57:54.440] [ModuleManager] Applying node RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares/RO_Tantares/@PART[Alnair_Solar_*]:AFTER[TweakScale] to Tantares/Parts/TKS/Alnair_Solar_A/part/Alnair_Solar_A

[LOG 17:57:54.440] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: @PART[Alnair_Solar_*]:AFTER[TweakScale] : original value="Using new ultra-fragile materials, these panels are the riskiest to use yet!" operator=+ mod value="10 m^2"

[LOG 17:57:54.440] [ModuleManager] Applying node RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares/RO_Tantares/@PART[Alnair_Solar_*]:AFTER[TweakScale] to Tantares/Parts/TKS/Alnair_Solar_B/part/Alnair_Solar_B

[LOG 17:57:54.440] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: @PART[Alnair_Solar_*]:AFTER[TweakScale] : original value="Using new ultra-fragile materials, these panels are the riskiest to use yet!" operator=+ mod value="10 m^2"

[LOG 17:57:54.812] [ModuleManager] Applying node RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares/RO_Tantares/@PART[Castor_Shield_A]:AFTER[TweakScale] to Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_A/Castor_Shield_A

[LOG 17:57:54.812] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: @PART[Castor_Shield_A]:AFTER[TweakScale] : original value="Firenze Heatshield" operator=+ mod value="(1.25m)"

[LOG 17:57:54.820] [ModuleManager] Applying node RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares/RO_Tantares/@PART[Castor_Shield_B]:AFTER[TweakScale] to Tantares/Parts/MISC/Castor_Shields/_MSL_Shield_B/Castor_Shield_B

[LOG 17:57:54.820] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: @PART[Castor_Shield_B]:AFTER[TweakScale] : original value="Fiesole Heatshield" operator=+ mod value="(2.5m)"

EDIT: If this is already fixed in Github, I'll patiently wait for a release of course. KSP.log available upon request.

Edited by Sput42

I'm playing with RO, and the associated plugins, couple visual enchancement things that're suggested, etc...

First try, and seems like at 0:00 time it's incredibly dark, it's very very hard to see the lauchpad.

Also it seems that all my craft spawn IN The launch pad, no matter what I do, so they can't thrust anywhere, they refuse to move.

Moreover my kerbals sink into the ground a bit when I get off the craft.

Anyone have any clue what's going wrong here?? :( I really want to try all this!

am i the only one who cant install this mod via ckan? It used to throw an error by selecting it, which i previously reported in ckan github, but now when i select it, the button go to changes is still disabled.

I'm having a very hard time with RO career mode; is RP-0 the recommended solution?

Any ETA to get RP-0 on CKAN? (CKAN has made me lazy as heck.)

Are any other career mode progression mods recommended for RO? What's the Done Thing?

am i the only one who cant install this mod via ckan? It used to throw an error by selecting it, which i previously reported in ckan github, but now when i select it, the button go to changes is still disabled.

Finally got it. If you have problems using ckan to install RO, the only possible solution is to uninstall all incompatible and conflicting mods before ticking RO.