[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hello, quick question:

for some reason when I try to fly the FASA J-2S engine (selecting the appropriate config in the dialog) it won't gimbal. Is this intended or is it a bug?

I should add that the standard J-2 gimbals just fine.

thank you very much.

Hello, quick question:

for some reason when I try to fly the FASA J-2S engine (selecting the appropriate config in the dialog) it won't gimbal. Is this intended or is it a bug?

I should add that the standard J-2 gimbals just fine.

thank you very much.

Did you activate the engine via stagine or action group?

Did you activate the engine via stagine or action group?

Neither, I activated it via right-clicking and then "activate engine", I do this because sometimes the staging sequence gets buggy and won't stage unless I press the spacebar 1000 times (IMO because the game is busy rendering the vessel, the rescaled universe and what not) and I don't want to risk not activating the engine before the ullage rockets run out, lest I get the "vapour in feedlines" message preventing me from turning it on.

I take it that I ought to activate engines via the action groups?

Neither, I activated it via right-clicking and then "activate engine", I do this because sometimes the staging sequence gets buggy and won't stage unless I press the spacebar 1000 times (IMO because the game is busy rendering the vessel, the rescaled universe and what not) and I don't want to risk not activating the engine before the ullage rockets run out, lest I get the "vapour in feedlines" message preventing me from turning it on.

I take it that I ought to activate engines via the action groups?

There is a stock bug that disabled gimbal if you activate an engine any other way but through staging. I think the stock bug fixes mod has a fix for that, but am not sure. Have a look.

won't stage unless I press the spacebar 1000 times

On the off chance that you don't know: the game enforces a short delay between staging events, on the order of 0.2-0.5 seconds, presumably so that a crummy keyboard won't toggle two stages at a single tap. I like to tweak my ullage motors so that I have well over a second.

Alternative: throttle down, stage ullage and main engine at the same time, throttle up to ignite. If you prefer the mouse, you can use the engine thrust tweakable for the same purpose.

I haven't searched through the thread, so maybe it was mentioned earlier.. but: The DOS/Almaz Station Parts from Tantares are wrongly scaled by RO. The Base Module has to be the exact diameter of the proton launch vehicle at 4.15 meters, also matching the maximum diameter of the FGB (as used by the TKS, combining the FGB with a VA Return Capsule). The VA itself should be matching the diameter of the second biggest Almaz section, as it was designed to launch in a VA+Almaz configuration. Would be nice if this could be changed. Tantares is correctly scaled in stock installs by this regards and REALISM overhaul should not use wrong sizes.

There is a stock bug that disabled gimbal if you activate an engine any other way but through staging. I think the stock bug fixes mod has a fix for that, but am not sure. Have a look.

There is a "jettison" option on the engines for manually releasing the inter-stage fairing that is normally there (in stock). If you use an action group or the mouse to activate the engine be sure to smack that jettison button at the same time and it will "unlock" the gimbals for the engine.

I think I finally squashed the whole FASA Launch Tower automatically releasing upon load in bug.

In the RO_FASA_ClampTower config file (located in RealismOverhaul\RO_SuggestedMods\FASA) I found what appeared to be multiple generator and pump module entries and a few other oddities that were conflicting with pre-existing things. So basically I gutted most of the conflicting code with the exception of the realfuel tanks for life support consumables.

After removing the redundant entries the boarding tower stopped automatically releasing and the pre-existing resource generation (electricCharge) seems to be operating without issue. This bug was really bothering me so I took a few minutes away from USI parts to step on it. :P Once I'm done with USI I'll take another look at the launch towers and such to make a more refined version for on-pad-fueling.

The code for the boarding tower after I took a machete to it:

@PART[FASAlaunchTower]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
%RSSROConfig = True
@mass = 10
@maxTemp = 5273.15
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
type = Fuselage
volume = 20000
TANK
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 284255.3191
maxAmount = 284255.3191
}
TANK
{
name = Water
amount = 1855.968
maxAmount = 1855.968
}
TANK
{
name = Food
amount = 2808
maxAmount = 2808
}
TANK
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 100000
maxAmount = 100000
}
}
}

ETA: For comparison, the old code...

@PART[FASAlaunchTower]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
%RSSROConfig = True
@mass = 10
@maxTemp = 5273.15
@MODULE[ModuleGenerator]
{
@OUTPUT_RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
@rate = 100
}
}
!MODULE[RefuelingPump]
{
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
type = Fuselage
volume = 20000
TANK
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 284255.3191
maxAmount = 284255.3191
}
TANK
{
name = Water
amount = 1855.968
maxAmount = 1855.968
}
TANK
{
name = Food
amount = 2808
maxAmount = 2808
}
TANK
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 5
}
TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 1024
maxAmount = 1024
}
}
MODULE
{
name = TacGenericConverter
converterName = Resupply
conversionRate = 16.0
inputResources = Waste, 0.0000233796, WasteWater, 0.0000317164, CarbonDioxide, 0.00625
outputResources = ElectricCharge, 1024, true
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = -0.2 //200W for life support base
}
}
}

Thanks for the update!

The LR89 thing was driving me insane -- may I ask what was wrong?

Next up: "disable avionics" doesn't work for me. Clicking the button changes the label to "enable avionics", but otherwise nothing happens: craft remains controllable, no change in power consumption. Further clicks won't even change the label anymore. Trying to toggle it through action groups also doesn't change power demands, but renders the craft uncontrollable in a fashion: all further commands will enter the flight computer with delay=0 and stay there, never to be executed.

Hi!

You can use 'Kerbal Konstructs' to add more Bases and more Launch Facilities to every Planet or Moon.

I have added a Launch Site just in front of the SP-Hangar, so I can start my missions not just on the runway. Or I use it to launch a Rover to refuel just landed Shuttles or Airplanes. Nearly all is possible.

- Isabelle

Hi!

You can use 'Kerbal Konstructs' to add more Bases and more Launch Facilities to every Planet or Moon.

I have added a Launch Site just in front of the SP-Hangar, so I can start my missions not just on the runway. Or I use it to launch a Rover to refuel just landed Shuttles or Airplanes. Nearly all is possible.

- Isabelle

Okay, what about static building models? My thought was the creation of an engine test stand for another mod and also for giggles being able to deploy a transport van from the driveway in front of the astronaut building.

It seems that the latest version of RLA Stockalike (v13) is not compatible with ROV-10.2. Some files and folders were changed.

This bothers me aswell. The whole folder tree was changed and some parts were kicked out while some new were added. Luckily, I found an older version so I use that one. It's a shame though, because those engines were pretty neat, especially the smaller ones.

Tried to install the mod using CKAN, got to about 80% or so in the download, then got the following error messages.

Failed to download "https://github.com/NathanKell/ModuleRCSFX/releases/download/v4.2/ModuleRCSFX_v4.2.zip" - error: The remote name could not be resolved: 's3.amazonaws.com'

Failed to download "https://github.com/NathanKell/ModularFuelSystem/releases/download/rf-v10.5.1/RealFuels_v10.5.1.zip" - error: The remote name could not be resolved: 's3.amazonaws.com'

Failed to download "https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat/releases/download/v1.1/RealHeat_v1.1.zip" - error: The remote name could not be resolved: 's3.amazonaws.com'

Tried several times, and got different, but similar, messages each time.

Hi I seem to have problems with the Mercury capsule. It has a max temp of only 600K. (Mk1 has 800K) BTW I think it's K not C.

When it stands on the launchpad it heats up to about 400K or so, and already an overheating bar appears. It gets better after launch, because then there is more convection.

However, it is amazingly fragile and I haven't manage yet to burn any ablative. (I manage to land, and to explode, though.)

Well, the internal temperature maximum should be that, but the max skin temperature should still be around 2200K. I'll take a look.

I ran a few more tests. True: skin temp is about 2000K, but with the temperature gauge mod, I could now better see what happens: the skin temp goes beyond the limit, but no cooling effect through the shield, nor use of ablator, and whoom! different for the mk1pod: there the shield seems to work, ablator resource gets diminuished, and cooling happens.

Well, the internal temperature maximum should be that, but the max skin temperature should still be around 2200K. I'll take a look.

Isn't the problem that it's heating up to 400k just standing on the pad? I'm getting that as well, btw, even at night. Ocassionally some parts may even assume insane temperatures like 10e12K. Which isn't too bad, I just toggle the "ignore max temperature" cheat... however, engine internals may still melt even with that cheat enabled.

Isn't the problem that it's heating up to 400k just standing on the pad? I'm getting that as well, btw, even at night. Ocassionally some parts may even assume insane temperatures like 10e12K. Which isn't too bad, I just toggle the "ignore max temperature" cheat... however, engine internals may still melt even with that cheat enabled.

For me it is the MK1 pod that heats up extremely fast. During very shallow reentry with apoapsis at 132 km and periapsis at 90 km, it gets to about 80% it maximum temperature as soon as it touches atmosphere and begins eating away ablator. By the time it is at 113km altitude it explodes. There are no visual re-entry effect by then yet, and other parts in craft do not even have their temperature gauges showing yet. Doesn't seem right by any standards. Even when I brought up basic airplane cockpit into orbit, it was more sturdy during re-entry.

Tried attaching some radiators to it in case it is internal temperature issue, but no change. I just can't figure why it is heating up to over 2000 degrees at 120 km altitude.

Really don't know what to tell you guys, I keep trying to replicate and can't. No problems with the Mercury, no problems with the Mlk1.

Try with only the mods RO requires, first. Then add the ones that RP-0 requires. Then try adding more and see when the problem occurs.