[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

No worries, the mod pack is excellent and I've been having as much fun as the first time when starting KSP. Thanks to all who had part in it! :)

Not been having much issues either, but this time I guess the first kerbal in orbit will have to go in plane cabin sealed inside payload fairings, as capsule still heats up even at 128km:

http://i.imgur.com/9XGCJ3q.png

About this reentry heating...I had RealHeat installed, and then I accepted "return vehicle from Moon flyby" contract in RP-0. Basically, 1m parts shielded with 2m shield. Orbit was tweaked to ease the reentry (600,000 km x 68 km) The whole started blowing up at 80 km with little Ablator consumed. DRE+RealHeat? Same results.

GuardianofBlind: Can you take a screenshot from that situation, but with "(mod)F12->Physics->Thermal->Display thermal data" turned on, and the part right-clicked? It'd also be very helpful if you installed AeroGUI ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117141-1-0-AeroGUI-v1-0-28-Apr ) and had that window open as well. That'll show me much more info and I can maybe figure out what's screwing up.

vicktor19: Are you using a LEO-rated shield or a lunar-rated shield? Note the part descriptions; you won't be able to survive a lunar return with a merely LEO-rated shield...

vicktor19: Are you using a LEO-rated shield or a lunar-rated shield? Note the part descriptions; you won't be able to survive a lunar return with a merely LEO-rated shield...

How strict is this, by the way? I'll soon be trying to return pictures from the moon and count on an oversized LEO shield being enough to save a lightweight probe. Incidentally, is there a plan to enable increased science returns from transmitting pictures later on? Having to return a spool of film from Mars just doesn't feel right.

Yes, there's certainly the intent to allow transmission photography later, we just need an appropriate part. :)

As to how strict this is--if you come in high enough and make multiple aerobrake passes I think you'll be OK, but I don't think an LEO-rated shield will survive a direct reentry that, even if it skips, never fully leaves the atmosphere. The skin temperature will just get too high, the pyrolysis rate won't be enough and you'll get burnthrough. Note that a reentry from lunar orbit is--just in terms of convection alone--4 times as hot as a reentry from LEO. And that's not considering radiation, which accounts for half the heat flux in the early portion of the reentry (whereas during a LEO reentry, you won't take in much radiative flux at all).

- - - Updated - - -

v10.3.1

• Fix plumes to not be dependent on UI throttle, fix LR89 plume and RD-103 positioning.
  • Make RL10s ignite and throttle as slowly as an F-1.
  • Upscale RCS to more visually correct sizes (SXT/Stock/VSR).
  • Give the Bonanza engine a new propeller config.
  • Fix FASA Launch Tower - thanks Yaivenov!
  • Remove any TweakScale modules on RealChute chutes (was causing confusion).
  • Slightly rework existing solar panels, support SXT and VSR additional panels.
  • Misc part fixes.

Yes, there's certainly the intent to allow transmission photography later, we just need an appropriate part. :)

As to how strict this is--if you come in high enough and make multiple aerobrake passes I think you'll be OK, but I don't think an LEO-rated shield will survive a direct reentry that, even if it skips, never fully leaves the atmosphere. The skin temperature will just get too high, the pyrolysis rate won't be enough and you'll get burnthrough. Note that a reentry from lunar orbit is--just in terms of convection alone--4 times as hot as a reentry from LEO. And that's not considering radiation, which accounts for half the heat flux in the early portion of the reentry (whereas during a LEO reentry, you won't take in much radiative flux at all).

- - - Updated - - -

v10.3.1

• Fix plumes to not be dependent on UI throttle, fix LR89 plume and RD-103 positioning.
  • Make RL10s ignite and throttle as slowly as an F-1.
  • Upscale RCS to more visually correct sizes (SXT/Stock/VSR).
  • Give the Bonanza engine a new propeller config.
  • Fix FASA Launch Tower - thanks Yaivenov!
  • Remove any TweakScale modules on RealChute chutes (was causing confusion).
  • Slightly rework existing solar panels, support SXT and VSR additional panels.
  • Misc part fixes.

Thanks for the advice on shields. Turns out one should read part descriptions :)

GuardianofBlind: Can you take a screenshot from that situation, but with "(mod)F12->Physics->Thermal->Display thermal data" turned on, and the part right-clicked? It'd also be very helpful if you installed AeroGUI ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117141-1-0-AeroGUI-v1-0-28-Apr ) and had that window open as well. That'll show me much more info and I can maybe figure out what's screwing up.

Well, since I noticed 10.3.1 is out, decided to do whole fresh install of RO. Same as before, only the mod itself + recommended plug in mods, but none of the optional parts mods. Now the problem seem be gone for the most part.

The pod still heats up a lot randomly, sometimes even during ascent, but it does not start consuming ablator at rapid rates as before, so re-entry is possible now. Temperature bar still pops red almost instantly as touching atmosphere, but now it just seems to be rising false alarm as the skin temperature is only around 800k then.

No idea what combination was causing it before, as I had all the same mods before and they were kept up to date. DRE wasn't at fault either, it was same without it.If you would still like to see the temperature data, let me know, but I doubt there is much to see there now.

Recently installed RSS, having the silly derwent V bug where reducing the single engine throttle past 50% or adding 2 derwent V's to my craft freezes all inputs entirely (bug where the cockpit part insists it doesn't have enough electric charge). Did anyone know where the fix for this is? I tried searching the forums a bit but couldn't find anything conclusive, nor in the common issues FAQ. (Same issue mr Manley had in his RSS vids).

I'm having trouble with downloading the mod through CKAN. When i download realism overhaul through CKAN all but realism overhaul and the realism tech tree downloads. I am using the latest version of KSP and the latest version of CKAN. Anyone else having this problem?

balu0: Sounds like a bad SXT or Firespitter install. I was referring to the numerical model that governs performance.

Phearlock: Then you have a bad dll somewhere. The bug was fixed two versions of SolverEngines ago. If you're still having it, then you need to try a clean install and get the newest version of it and AJE (2.4 of AJE).

MicroUzi: Keep trying. Known issue with CKAN, it spams github with requests and github refuses after a while. Just try again until it comes through.

I deleted and made sure to grab the newest AJE and solverengines versions but no luck, I'll give a clean install a try.

Edit: Nope, still the same issue, can confirm I have the latest solverengines and AJE 2.4. Can you detail the bug and how it was fixed? Would help in troubleshooting what mod may be conflicting with it and making the fix not function.

Edited by Phearlock

I deleted and made sure to grab the newest AJE and solverengines versions but no luck, I'll give a clean install a try.

Edit: Nope, still the same issue, can confirm I have the latest solverengines and AJE 2.4. Can you detail the bug and how it was fixed? Would help in troubleshooting what mod may be conflicting with it and making the fix not function.

I can confirm that I'm getting the same issue, with AJE 2.4.0 and SolverEngines v1.10 both downloaded from CKAN. Throttle below 50% instantly locks up all control inputs.

The only time I ever encountered the bug, it was due to SolverEngines not sending the right data to ModuleAlternator. That was fixed in SolverEngines 1.9, and I have never been able to replicate the bug since; neither has ferram4 or blowfish. If you are getting the error, you can remove ModuleAlternator from it...

waerloga, who did experience the bug, said it went away on a clean install of AJE 2.4 and Solver 1.10 and RF 10.6.

hi there,

first thanks for the mods, pretty amazing stuff you did there.

i encountered an issue where the center stack of my booster stage cuts off when i jettison the 2 external stacks, can't figure if its a design flaw ot just a bug.

to be clear, my booster stage is composed of 6 F1 mounted on 3 separate tanks, fuel lines from the external to the center one. When fuel runs out in the external ones => stage => center stack cut off (and a facepalm behind the keyboard).

so far i tried changing the part the ship was controled from (maybe a RT problem, signal is provided by a jettisoned part and is lost during a split second, throttle to 0, cut off) and getting rid of the fuel lines, nothing changed.

anyone has encountered this kind of problem and worked his way around it? or did i miss something?

a bit of help would be greatly aprecieated on this one, it's driving me nuts :(

thanks

I did some troubleshooting regarding the Dervent V.

In chronological order:

1. KSP fresh install

2. Latest CKAN install

3. Realism overhaul install as dictated by CKAN (so with all dependencies and suggested mods, I didn't check/uncheck anything)

4. SXT install as dictated by CKAN,

At this point I fired up the game and tested a craft with different engines (2 dervent, 2 other jets, and an IO-550). I was using the Conic Cockpit from RO (this is important). Everything works fine, except that when 2 derwent were on, the thrust was shown as negative (though it was thrusting forward, as usual).

Then:

5. Realistic Progression 0 install as dictated by CKAN

I then tested the same craft (both by using the .craft and by assembling the pieces from scratch). The craft was working fine until all the engines were on. At this point I just shut down the 2 jets (not the derwents). Everything was ok, I could throttle back past 50% even. Finally, when I turned the IO-550 off, the throttle went to 0% and everything just shut down and became unresponsive.

And then...

Just to be sure I tried to swap the cockpit (the Conic one) with the stock 1.25m Cockpit... and magically everything worked again! Derwents and all!

So, the culprit apparently is not the Derwent alone.

I am not sure if this is the right way to help but in any case I will be available if further info. are required.

Edit:

Forgot to post the modlist:

KSP: 1.0.4 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Filter Extensions - 2.4.1

Advanced Jet Engine - 2.4

B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.4

Connected Living Space - 1.1.3.1

Contract Configurator - 1.7.2

CustomBarnKit - 1.1.1

Deadly Reentry - 7.2.2

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.5

Firespitter - 7.1.4

Kerbal Construction Time - 1.2.2

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.1

Procedural Parts - 1.1.7

RealChute - 1.3.2.3

RealismOverhaul - 10.3.1

RemoteTech - 1.6.7

Saturatable RW - 1.10.1

SolverEngines - 1.10

TextureReplacer - 2.4.8

TAC Life Support - 0.11.1.20

VenStockRevamp - 1.8

Edited by Almodeon
add modlist

i encountered an issue where the center stack of my booster stage cuts off when i jettison the 2 external stacks

There's a bug where engines will briefly cut out when jettisoning stages that contain avionics/command modules. of course if an engine with only 1 ignition cuts out then it won't restart and you're doomed. you might be able to work around this by moving all your command parts to the core stage. using engines that can restart is also a work around, although not a very helpful one. :P

There's a bug where engines will briefly cut out when jettisoning stages that contain avionics/command modules. of course if an engine with only 1 ignition cuts out then it won't restart and you're doomed. you might be able to work around this by moving all your command parts to the core stage. using engines that can restart is also a work around, although not a very helpful one. :P

Add separation stages between the engine ignition stages and have the control parts jettison during those.

S1 - Engines

S2 - Decouplers and solid separation motors <- Actual rocket separation occurs here when no main engines are running.

S3 - Engines

Admittedly it probably wont work if you are parallel staging with a liquid fuel engine core booster and have control parts located on the peripheral boosters you are shedding.

i can't get this to work with the parts suggested in the CKAN install. The sounding rocket avionics package says has a warning that it can't lift any weight whilst the staring guidance unit is too big. It looks like the sounding rocket is missing an avionics setting.

nobodyhasthis: That's intended. Sounding rockets aren't guided. The core is enough to stage, which is all you should need. Check out the Getting Started tutorial on the RP-0 wiki.
Then it clearly is a bug. Looks like Remote Tech does not work then. Even if I add extra batteries and antennas. Removed RT and it worked fine. Shame. Sorry to say the I found the WIKI useless for starting in career mode. I only want a rocket that goes 10 meters up :P. Going to do a fresh install to see it clears the bug.

EDIT: Still not working. Seems that it just will not work at all with RT.

Edited by nobodyhasthis