[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Then it clearly is a bug. Looks like Remote Tech does not work then. Even if I add extra batteries and antennas. Removed RT and it worked fine. Shame. Sorry to say the I found the WIKI useless for starting in career mode. I only want a rocket that goes 10 meters up :P. Going to do a fresh install to see it clears the bug.

EDIT: Still not working. Seems that it just will not work at all with RT.

What do you want the sounding rocket avionics package to do? If it's to steer the rocket it's not meant for that. You can only stage with it as Nathan explained. That component is meant to be 'unguided'. If you want to use it, then it should be attached to a booster, but that whole thing will need to be attached to a larger rocket which will have the larger 1m avionics/probe/controller. But once you separate from that stage it should be set so that the booster kicks in, but it's hands off from there. You can still right click send telemetry, etc. But you won't be able to do anything else.

Does that answer your question? It's not a bug.

Edited by MedievalNerd

No guidance is necessary for sounding rockets. You place the sounding core, add a nosecone, tank, engine, and fins. Then you add a decoupler and a Tiny Tim booster and fins. Then place a launch clamp. Stage the engine, the booster, and the clamp together, then stage the decoupler. Staging will work regardless. If it is not working, then you have a bad install.

Does that answer your question? It's not a bug.
No it just proves there is indeed a bug! I agree with everything you said and yet it is not working. So there was something broken.
No guidance is necessary for sounding rockets. You place the sounding core, add a nosecone, tank, engine, and fins. Then you add a decoupler and a Tiny Tim booster and fins. Then place a launch clamp. Stage the engine, the booster, and the clamp together, then stage the decoupler. Staging will work regardless. If it is not working, then you have a bad install.
Totally confirmed then. It is not the design that is wrong. Not working because RSS is a recommended mod I think and not a required mod. Yes that does sound crazy but follow the logic here. If the probe core works then the ground station end is the problem. So added in the correct RT config and it now works perfectly. Seems my ground station was lost at sea someplace. :D

Added into top of RO settings

RemoteTechSettings

{

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1.0

RangeMultiplier = 1.0

ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path

EnableSignalDelay = True

RangeModelType = Root

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1

ThrottleTimeWarp = True

DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1

OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1

ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1

GroundStations

{

STATION

{

Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = -0.131331503391266

Longitude = -74.594841003418

Height = 75

Body = 1

MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

Edited by nobodyhasthis

@nobodyhasthis: just to clarify, your problem was/is that you're running RP-0 without RSS (and hence without RSS-configured ground stations)?

Yeah, I messed up an install yesterday... by picking a texture pack for RSS but not RSS in CKAN... <_< /shame But it had that very same 'issue' where ground stations were all messed up. When I properly selected RSS it was all working perfectly for me. So perhaps nobodyhasthis can confirm what mods he's running or not.

This might be a stupid question, but is there any way to remove the limited number of engine ignitions and make the engines throttlable again? I tried a MM config but it only seemed to remove the ignition limits on some engines (it seemed to only removed them from engines that didn't have alternative versions that changed the number of ignitions) and didn't change the unthrottlable status of any engines (that I could see).

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to play RP-0 and can't even get beyond the first satellite contract.

An unmodded ModuleEngine* will have an atmosphere block that contains the values.

I found the part cfg but changing the values have noeffect. The part in question is the solid booster from kW rocketry 075mAerosrb. Change the atmospheric curve values but no effect.

If an engine part has a ModuleEngineConfigs, you'll need to edit the Isp in the CONFIG in that.

What do you need to change it to? What is the part title in RO? (Did we get its performance wrong?)

i believe the part aj-60a or kwsrbglobeiv is the name used. According to the ula delta manual the thrust is stated at 1688kn and the vac isp is 279. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but where do I find the moduleengineconfig?

Edited by emb110

I thought Delta IV used GEM-60s? AJ-60A is for the Atlas V.

Anyway, the RO patch for that part is in:

RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/KWRocketry/RO_KWRocketry_Solids.cfg

It's possible we're modeling an earlier variant, and the specs you found are for a later variant? Dunno. A1Ch1 might know more...

I thought Delta IV used GEM-60s? AJ-60A is for the Atlas V.

Anyway, the RO patch for that part is in:

RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/KWRocketry/RO_KWRocketry_Solids.cfg

It's possible we're modeling an earlier variant, and the specs you found are for a later variant? Dunno. A1Ch1 might know more...

Sorry about the mistake I did mean to say atlas v manual

FWIW...The figure currently used may be the AVERAGE thrust provided by the booster as it doesn't have a thrust curve yet. I'm sure MAX thrust is the 1688kN figure. However it doesn't provide that for long. I recommend either A. Leave it alone, or B. Make a thrust curve for it, then change the figures.

hey guys,

first of all: thank you for your amazing work.

I have Ro, RP-0 and a few other mods installed.

I built a rocket for my crewed lunar flyby and used 3 M55 minuteman SRBs in my first stage. i noticed the price of the PBAN in the SRBs is much more expensive than the PSPC in the Castor 1 and 2 for example. Is it meant like this? One M55 costs 2k empty and 20k fueled. Its almost the same with the Procedural SRBs and their solid fuel.

thanks in advance :)

I know it's probably not the thread to ask a question like this, but can someone explain me how on Earth Atlas-Agena could only get 1t to orbit, while Atlas-Mercury could 1.36t? The latter lacks the upper stage, so it should carry less, not more (Both versions were based on an Atlas D). Am I missing something or the stats on astronautix are messed up?

i believe the part aj-60a or kwsrbglobeiv is the name used. According to the ula delta manual the thrust is stated at 1688kn and the vac isp is 279. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but where do I find the moduleengineconfig?
Sorry about the mistake I did mean to say atlas v manual
FWIW...The figure currently used may be the AVERAGE thrust provided by the booster as it doesn't have a thrust curve yet. I'm sure MAX thrust is the 1688kN figure. However it doesn't provide that for long. I recommend either A. Leave it alone, or B. Make a thrust curve for it, then change the figures.

I agree w/ Story - the current implementation of the AJ-60A gives problems going through MaxQ as it is since we do not have a thrust vs. time curve for this motor. The ISP and thrust level that (I'm assuming) Red used when he wrote this config is most likely an average - I wonder if perhaps he got a hold of the total impulse of this motor and used an average thrust w/ the known burn time to come up with the number he did.

I've tinkered with basing the thrust vs. propellant curve on that of the GEM-60, but its hard to know how these motors actually behave in real life...other than to assume something. Without more information from Aerojet, its hard to say how this motor should behave.

Rothank: That page looks messed up. More payload to GTO than LEO!?

A ton to GTO sounds right, dunno what payload to LEO would be; maybe it's missing a 1 prefix and is 1800kg? This page suggests ~1.8t as well. http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_2/United_States_4/Atlas-Agena/Design/Atlas-Agena.htm

I thought as much. I got confused, cause on Wikipedia it is stated as 1t leo and 0.7 gto

Found a nasty bug with jet enginess/radial decouplers/RemoteTech.

Case 1:

Jet plane with J79 engine, flies like a charm.

Case 2:

Same plane, but with added expendable aerobee boosters under wings (via radial decouplers). Upon starting the jet (either via staging or right-click menu) RemoteTech throws "No Connection" error, input gets locked.

Case 3:

Same plane again, ONLY radial decouplers under wings (with nothing strapped to them). Starting the jet causes RT to lose connection.

Checked multiple times with various decouplers, same happens. In KCT simulation mode this can be worked around via KCT "disable remotetech" option.

Also, about the biomes:

Has anyone been having some issues with biomes? When I play my RP-0 career, flying over pretty much anything yields "over Grasslands" location.

Regarding biomes, it does appear you're on an obsolete texture set. Delete your RSS-Textures folder and download fresh from http://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases/tag/v10.2

Also make sure you're on v10.2 of RSS itself; if in doubt, grab a clean RSS install from the RSS repo.

Edited by Rothank