[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Krakenfour: Glad it's working now! :)

algeo: Ok, sorry to keep on this but can you upload the log from *that* test, and also the craft file? Can see if I can repro here, then, if nothing jumps out at me in the log.

Yeah, sorry, the actual crashes were caused by a problem with tweakscale and fairings from some mod. Now it's just the camera problem, no crash dumps to sift through. :(

I've been reproducing the bug all night and so far I've made a few new vessels that haven't had the bug so some part is definitely acting up and it should just be a matter of isolating it. I should probably be able to figure it out on my own from here to be honest (when I've had some rest!)... if not I'll return with more clues. :)

Uh, I wasn't asking about crash dumps, just the log. The log always exists. Story linked the thread above that tells where to find it. :)

Good luck, and do give a holler if you can't find it (and even if you can, we like to know! :D )

Quick issue:

Procedural SRB I have made to mimic the 5 seg shuttle SRB. She has the exact right burn time and thrust in the VAB according to mechjeb and all in all with my SLS test rocket, a sea level T:W ratio of 1.28. I load onto the pad and all of a sudden the SRB thrust is listed as 150 kn when I activate causing my rocket to fall back into the launch pad.

I've gone over the numbers over and over again but for some reason my procedurally generated rockets aren't carrying their correct thrust values onto the launch pad.

Hi!

I'm having trouble installing this.

I've downloaded all of the required files, and DR, Procedural Fairings + Parts, RCS Build Aid, and RSS.

What files from each download do I put in the GameData folder in KSP?

Also, I'm using a Mac, so no ckan, due to the build :(

Usually the file will be pretty apparent. If you look in the file, it might look like "Realfuels.zip/Realfuels/gamedata" put everything in the gamedata folder of the download into the gamedata of the KSP install. If there isn't a gamedata folder, check the readme.

On an additional note, how do you change the number of ignitions on an engine? I'm looking for it in gamedata, I checked Realfuels which handles engine ignition and ullage. I can't find it there, or anywhere I look...

I'm looking to change the J-2 of the FASA pack (2 restarts) to the J-2X (8 restarts)

Thanks!

JT2227: AIES has a J-2X if you want the real thing. As it was a total rebuild of the J-2, it's not an available upgrade config on the regular J-2 parts. To modify an RO patch, go into RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/[Mod name]/RO_[Modname]_Engines.cfg and find the engine.

Dman979: Unless something very strange is going on, CKAN *does* work on Macs, you just have to install mono first. Ask on the CKAN thread and they'll get you up and running.

I'm currently experiencing a bug with vessels becoming unfocused during ascent... what I mean to say is that the camera angle adjusts downwards from the ship as if it were focused on the lower stage of the ship (and simply fixing it with manual camera controls (MM+drag) doesn't work either). This effect is cumulative and at the end of my ascent to orbit my vessel is usually not more than a blip in the top right corner of my screen, if I can see it at all. Has anyone else experienced this? Besides the fact that it ruins immersion it's also hellishly annoying when you have instruments on the upper stage that needs to be interacted with.

I've had a look around in this thread and googled a bit with no luck (yet I could have missed something). Any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: now the bug is becoming game breaking as vessels spin uncontrolably and blow up when they get out of range.

I had this issue when using the Mk16 parachute with RO. All other parachutes seem to work fine. Not sure if this bug has been fixed recently; haven't tried out Mk16 in a while...

I had this issue when using the Mk16 parachute with RO. All other parachutes seem to work fine. Not sure if this bug has been fixed recently; haven't tried out Mk16 in a while...

Yeah I never really use the Mk16. The one time I tried using it I couldn't rescale it in the VAB despite it having buttons for that purpose, and when flown it randomly appeared some distance away from the vessel, flying in tandem. :D

jonrd- Thanks for the advice, I'll try removing Realchutes. I guess I'll have to do it manually since CKAN insists on uninstalling RSS/RO/RP-0+many other dependencies if one tries to remove Realchutes. I don't even understand why it's a dependency anyway to be perfectly honest. I've had the mod on several other installs previously and I rarely if ever use any of their chutes --- to me they're just redundant since stock chutes have done just fine for any craft I've ever built.

- - - Updated - - -

Removing Realchutes did indeed fix the problem (however it broke the stock parachutes somehow... just went down at 90 m/s with a chute that should be able to carry four times the weight it crashed with... now I guess I know why it's a dependency :P). Thanks for the tip, jonrd 463! :)

Edited by algeo

Procedural SRB I have made to mimic the 5 segment SRB has the exact correct burn time and thrust in the VAB (according to mechjeb) it also has a sea level T:W ratio of 1.28 when burning with my 4x Rs-25d. I load it onto the launch pad and all of a sudden the SRB thrust is listed as 150 kn when I activate causing my rocket to fall back into the launch pad.

I've gone over the numbers over and over again but for some reason my procedural generated SRB's aren't carrying their correct thrust values onto the launch pad from the VAB.

Dman979: Unless something very strange is going on, CKAN *does* work on Macs, you just have to install mono first. Ask on the CKAN thread and they'll get you up and running.

Yes, Mono seems to install, up until it needs permission. I don't have that permission, and can't get it. :(

Anyways, is there an order that I have to putt the mods into my GameData folder?

I have a clean install of KSP+ ATM Agressive, but I can't figure out why it doesn't load when I install more mods.

Edited by Dman979

Procedural SRB I have made to mimic the 5 segment SRB has the exact correct burn time and thrust in the VAB (according to mechjeb) it also has a sea level T:W ratio of 1.28 when burning with my 4x Rs-25d. I load it onto the launch pad and all of a sudden the SRB thrust is listed as 150 kn when I activate causing my rocket to fall back into the launch pad.

I've gone over the numbers over and over again but for some reason my procedural generated SRB's aren't carrying their correct thrust values onto the launch pad from the VAB.

SRBs have thrust curves, meaning that their thrust is not constant with time, and RO simulates this pretty well. So your SRBs will only get to their "correct thrust values" about a second after being fired, and after reaching this peak value the thrust will gradually decrease. Liquid-fueled rocket engines also need a little time to get going, which is why you should always fire your engines before releasing the launch clamps, as they do in real life.

Example thrust curves depending on the shape of the channel carved in the solid fuel:

PropellantGrains.gif

SRBs have thrust curves, meaning that their thrust is not constant with time, and RO simulates this pretty well. So your SRBs will only get to their "correct thrust values" about a second after being fired, and after reaching this peak value the thrust will gradually decrease. Liquid-fueled rocket engines also need a little time to get going, which is why you should always fire your engines before releasing the launch clamps, as they do in real life.

Example thrust curves depending on the shape of the channel carved in the solid fuel:

http://digitalvideo.8m.net/Rocketry/PropellantGrains.gif

I thought that was the case and fired the srbs before releasing the clamps but it was constant at 150 kn for a good 2 minutes....

G82Mgj4.png

VmFuPrF.png

qZoOJYA.png

Edited by TeeGee

Apologies for assuming you didn't know the basics then. I have checked on my install, and an identical SRB lifts itself off the pad without a problem, even if staged together with the launch clamps, as the thrust is 15 MN almost right away. So something else has to be wrong with your setup.

Apologies for assuming you didn't know the basics then. I have checked on my install, and an identical SRB lifts itself off the pad without a problem, even if staged together with the launch clamps, as the thrust is 15 MN almost right away. So something else has to be wrong with your setup.

Sigh... a mod conflict maybe?

EDIT: Solved the issue. Rule when designing a rocket using procedural SRB's, never place 2 procedurally generated srbs onto eachother. I created an SRB sepatron motor and stuck it onto the 5 segment SRB. this screwed up the engine when it loaded onto the pad somehow. I removed the sepatrons I created and that fixed the problem.

Edited by TeeGee

I'm having the strangest issue occur when using Procedural SRBs. For some reason whenever I use one when I attempt to launch the rocket, the framerate skips constantly, goes for a second, freezes for a second, and so on. The more I use in the rocket, the more skips and the longer they are. The debug menu in said something about Action 8 or Action Bar 8 or something similiar. I tried removing the realplume config for ProcSRBs, but that didn't do anything. Ill continue to attempt fixes, but what are some issues that can be causing this? I obviously have smokescreen and MP_Nazari (not sure if I downloaded HotRockets or if that was from another mod install). I heard that you can reduce the particle emissions in game with smokescreen, however the smokescreen toolbar does not show up anywhere. Unless there is a keybind shortcut for it I have no way of directly editing this.

I'm having the strangest issue occur when using Procedural SRBs. For some reason whenever I use one when I attempt to launch the rocket, the framerate skips constantly, goes for a second, freezes for a second, and so on. The more I use in the rocket, the more skips and the longer they are. The debug menu in said something about Action 8 or Action Bar 8 or something similiar. I tried removing the realplume config for ProcSRBs, but that didn't do anything. Ill continue to attempt fixes, but what are some issues that can be causing this? I obviously have smokescreen and MP_Nazari (not sure if I downloaded HotRockets or if that was from another mod install). I heard that you can reduce the particle emissions in game with smokescreen, however the smokescreen toolbar does not show up anywhere. Unless there is a keybind shortcut for it I have no way of directly editing this.

If you're using blozzy's toolbar (which you should) you can enable smokescreen icon in it, there's a menu which lets you select visible icons.

If you're using blozzy's toolbar (which you should) you can enable smokescreen icon in it, there's a menu which lets you select visible icons.

I do use blizzy's toolbar, and it's not available as a list of icons

im having issues with the size of parts. most parts are just bigger than they should be. most of my engines are about .5m larger than they say they should be. i was wondering if its a config thing or if theres a way to edit the scale of the parts. thank you.

I just want to make sure that the following Module Manager patch will remove the upgrade options from the RO engines, and not break them instead:

@PART[LR87LH2Vac]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]
{
@description = Aerojet developed the LR87 engine (used for the Titan series) into a liquid hydrogen/oxygen engine for prospective USAF contracts in the 1958-1960 period. This version represents a version of the engine with a larger nozzle optimized for vacuum use.
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
!MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
{
}
}

Intended behavior: Engine can be throttled to zero thrust, engine cannot be upgraded in the VAB.

@th31695: If you have things installed correctly. Then what you see is intended behavior. Without specifics that's all that can be said. A log and more details would be nice.

@Krakenfour: Nope that'll break things. I'm not exactly inclined to provide you with code that goes against what RO is about. Why are you doing this?

@th31695: If you have things installed correctly. Then what you see is intended behavior. Without specifics that's all that can be said. A log and more details would be nice.

@Krakenfour: Nope that'll break things. I'm not exactly inclined to provide you with code that goes against what RO is about. Why are you doing this?

Tested ingame, intended behavior observed.