[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Considering dependencies of RO have yet to be updated to 1.0.5, it's pretty wishy washy to actually run RO in 1.0.5 and not have issues.

Exactly. I backed up my install and I'll play from that for the time being until all the mods are updated.

Considering dependencies of RO have yet to be updated to 1.0.5, it's pretty wishy washy to actually run RO in 1.0.5 and not have issues.

I know. I thought I had set steam to not automatically update KSP but apparently it did it anyway...

I will play around with removing some stuff for now. Cheers

I know. I thought I had set steam to not automatically update KSP but apparently it did it anyway...

I will play around with removing some stuff for now. Cheers

I never play out of the steam install for that exact reason. You can just copy the Game Folder anywhere and play it from there, that way you can have as many installs as you like and don't have to worry about accidental updates.

Is there any way to find out which mod is burning through my available ram? When I start the game, I'm using about 2.6GB of RAM after all mods have finished loading. But loading my save (33 flights) quickly bumps that up to around 3GB. And that increases by around .1GB every time I switch scenes or jump between craft.

Hi all,

I would like to ask about how to do a realistic rover in RO (something like the "The Martian" film). Yesterday I began to create something big using the RoverMax M1 tyres (200% scale), but I think the electric consumption is not very realistic. It is just using 0,3 ec per second to move a 7 tons rover? Maybe I can go to the cfg files and make some tweaks?

Thanks

Hi all,

I would like to ask about how to do a realistic rover in RO (something like the "The Martian" film). Yesterday I began to create something big using the RoverMax M1 tyres (200% scale), but I think the electric consumption is not very realistic. It is just using 0,3 ec per second to move a 7 tons rover? Maybe I can go to the cfg files and make some tweaks?

Thanks

Use a RTG like Curiosity

Hi all,

Thanks

300 W electric engine is smaller than washing machine engine...

Hi everyone!

I am using FASA together with RSS & RO in KSP 1.0.4.

In my opinion, FASA works very good with RO. I'm trying to simulate the lunar missions. It all works out just fine, TLI is on the money, problems occur when trying to circularize around the moon:

This is also the first time when I wanna fire my SPS engine on the CSM. Tank shows "full", I have achieved ullage using RCS (very stable), but this candle won't light. I treid to mess around selecting other fuels, but nothing.

Any ideas?

Any ideas also, why fuelcells don't work when I put them into the servicebay of the CSM? LH2 and LOX tanks are full, but nothing happens. tried solar panels - maybe the stock panels don't produce enough electricity?

Thanks in advance for your ideas guys!

Stefan

[quote name='elvissz']Hi everyone!

In my opinion, FASA works very good with RO. I'm trying to simulate the lunar missions. It all works out just fine, TLI is on the money, problems occur when trying to circularize around the moon:

This is also the first time when I wanna fire my SPS engine on the CSM. Tank shows "full", I have achieved ullage using RCS (very stable), but this candle won't light. I treid to mess around selecting other fuels, but nothing.

Any ideas?

Any ideas also, why fuelcells don't work when I put them into the servicebay of the CSM? LH2 and LOX tanks are full, but nothing happens. tried solar panels - maybe the stock panels don't produce enough electricity?

Stefan[/QUOTE]

From my experience tanks with Aerozine/NTO, like the Apollo CSM, need to be the service module type. They need to be highly pressurized. The engine will say "feed pressure too low" even if you did a ullage thrust burn. Check your tank type. Hope this helps. Most likely didn't change the tank type.

[quote name='elvissz']Hi everyone!
Any ideas?
Stefan[/QUOTE]

Are you using the "FASA Saturn V Apollo Lunar" craft file or did you build the rocket yourself? If you're using the craft file, something you should make note of is that flow for the NTO, Aerozine50 and MMH are all turned off by default. So you want to make sure those are turned on before you try the burn. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what issue you might be having. I just completed a flight using the craft file (with some minor adjustments cause I added some science instruments) and didn't have any problems.
Also, assuming you're using the service module that is part of the FASA pack (FASAApollo_SM), why are you adding a fuel cell? There should already be a single fuel cell built into the SM (as of RO 10.5 anyway) that generates 2.2ec/sec which is enough power to run everything but the high gain antenna. And you're apparently not supposed to run the high gain constantly. As for why add on fuel cells might not work, maybe crossfeed isn't working properly?

[quote name='chrisl']Are you using the "FASA Saturn V Apollo Lunar" craft file or did you build the rocket yourself? If you're using the craft file, something you should make note of is that flow for the NTO, Aerozine50 and MMH are all turned off by default. So you want to make sure those are turned on before you try the burn. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what issue you might be having. I just completed a flight using the craft file (with some minor adjustments cause I added some science instruments) and didn't have any problems.
Also, assuming you're using the service module that is part of the FASA pack (FASAApollo_SM), why are you adding a fuel cell? There should already be a single fuel cell built into the SM (as of RO 10.5 anyway) that generates 2.2ec/sec which is enough power to run everything but the high gain antenna. And you're apparently not supposed to run the high gain constantly. As for why add on fuel cells might not work, maybe crossfeed isn't working properly?[/QUOTE]

Hi and many thanks for the good replies!

I'm using the "FASA Saturn V Apollo Lunar" craft file. I didn't make any changes to the rocket. As soon as I get home, I'll try it once more. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Since I installed RO only a few days ago, it seems I still have to get used to it. (I was struggling a couple of days only getting into orbit!)

Which fuel does the SPS use anyway? A mixture of NTO, Aerozine50 and MMH?

Thanks so much for your help!

I used FASA in stock game first and there you could see the fuel cells mounted in the CSM service bays with right-clicks to activate and stop them. In RO there are no visible fuel cells so I thought I had to put them there.

[quote name='MysteriousSteve']What modpack is the BE-4 in? I really want to use it to make a Vulcan[/QUOTE]

Additionally the Vulcan GEM 63XL SRM (estimated performance) is in KW Rocketry, and I just updated the Ven Stock Revamp BE-4 with new Isp and mixture ratio estimates (vacuum Isp is looking relatively low, definitely lower than RD-180 with some estimates in the 320-330 s range, though the higher thrust and GLOW still means a performance gain vs Atlas 5).

[quote name='elvissz']Hi and many thanks for the good replies!
I'm using the "FASA Saturn V Apollo Lunar" craft file. I didn't make any changes to the rocket. As soon as I get home, I'll try it once more. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Since I installed RO only a few days ago, it seems I still have to get used to it. (I was struggling a couple of days only getting into orbit!)
Which fuel does the SPS use anyway? A mixture of NTO, Aerozine50 and MMH?
Thanks so much for your help!

I used FASA in stock game first and there you could see the fuel cells mounted in the CSM service bays with right-clicks to activate and stop them. In RO there are no visible fuel cells so I thought I had to put them there.[/QUOTE]

The RCS thrusters on the CSM use NTO/MMH. The SPS uses NTO/Aerozine50. I believe we have those tanks turned off at launch so that you don't accidentally fire the engine or waste RCS fuel until you're ready.
RO adds some "generators" to a number of parts as well as combining parts to reduce part count. For example, the FASAApollo_SM in RO is made up of the FASA SM, four of the FASA SM RCS thrusters, and has a LOX-O2 generator and Fuel Cell all built into the one part.
ANd yes, there is definitely a learning curve when it comes to RO. :) Be sure you look at some of the wikis that are mentioned on the OP. THey can help you work around some of the "misconceptions" that are inherent in the default version of KSP.

This probably isn't an RO issue. Actually, it's probably some issue in stock. But I can't seem to find anything about it on the forums and was hoping someone here might have seen it.
I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0 with RemoteTech and am in the process of setting up a new Deep Space Network of satellites. Each satellite consists of a 88-88 dish for deep space communication and 8x Communotron 32 8Mm omni antennaes, plus the Octo probe core, a fuel tank, 1Kn engine, small rcs thrusters and four extendable solar panels. I'm able to get the satellites into orbit without issue. I can also open the 88-88 dish and the four solar panels, again without issue. The problems start when I activate the Communotron 32 antennas. Everything appears to be fine until I reload a save game at which point the satellite starts dancing around until it eventually explodes from excessive g-forces. This happened on some of the older DSN satellites I launched which used Communotron 16 antenna but I thought that was because I had mounted them to a small strut. But with these new DSN satellites, I've mounted the Communotron 32s to the Octo probe core so they should be far enough apart to not be interfering with each other. But for some reason, if I activate the antenna and then save the game, I can never refocus on these satellites without this issue occurring again.
Has anyone ever encountered this and does anyone have any ideas how I could maybe correct it?

[quote name='chrisl']
I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0 with RemoteTech ... The problems start when I activate the Communotron 32 antennas. Everything appears to be fine until I reload a save game at which point the satellite starts dancing around until it eventually explodes from excessive g-forces. This happened on some of the older DSN satellites I launched which used Communotron 16 antenna but I thought that was because I had mounted them to a small strut. But with these new DSN satellites, I've mounted the Communotron 32s to the Octo probe core so they should be far enough apart to not be interfering with each other. But for some reason, if I activate the antenna and then save the game, I can never refocus on these satellites without this issue occurring again.
Has anyone ever encountered this and does anyone have any ideas how I could maybe correct it?[/QUOTE]

The symptoms sound a bit similar to that old bug in remote tech that caused there to be duplicates of your vessels. The duplicates would spawn "on top of" the original causing behaviour similar to what you are reporting. But I thought that bug was long dead... Check a quicksave file to see whether vessels are duplicated. They may also show up in the tracking centre, in which case you could delete the duplicates.

Ok, I am getting stupidly frustrated and I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm running Realism Overhaul via CKAN and it is absolutely refusing to load. I had it working fine earlier, but after removing remotetech it apparently decided I wasn't a bad enough dude to launch rockets. It keeps getting stuck somewhere during loading of procedural parts. Here's a link to the ksp.log from the last time it got stuck: [url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0364280iga72ig/KSP.log?dl=0[/url]

I appreciate any help. I much prefer antennarange to remotetech and don't particularly want to install it again, although I cannot conceive of what the issue may be.

[quote name='NathanKell']We're about ready to release for 1.0.5. I suggest holding off a little bit, and then starting from a clean KSP 1.0.5 install. Right now a lot of RO submods are in flux between 1.0.4 and 1.0.5.[/QUOTE]

When you say "we're about ready to release", do you have any predictions in terms of hours or days?

I've been unable to play since 1.0.5 came out, refuse to play without RO and RP-0 and RSS and unfortunately I didn't make a copy of my 1.0.4, steam auto-updated and I'm going mad here.

NEED to play it. Maybe you have an experimental version that I could try? XD

Yep, you're definitely welcome to manually install all the mods RO requires (excepting ModuleRCSFX and Better Buoyancy, both are no longer needed in 1.0.5), and then download the RO repo and manually grab the RO folder inside GameData in it.