[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

On 2/3/2016 at 10:04 PM, Matuchkin said:

I'm missing hydrazine, as it is not on my list of propellants. Apparently that's a small problem, because more than half of the launch engines run on hydrazine. Any way to fix this, please?

That is a common one, I forget sometimes and think this as well.

Hydrazine is one of a few substances that can only be placed in the 'Service Module' type tank. There are other monopropellents that you can store in other tanks types if you don't want to use a ServiceModule tank.

On 1/18/2016 at 1:19 PM, Sput42 said:

So I was giving RO's FASA Saturn V/Apollo stock craft a spin. Launch went ok, transposition went ok - but when I try to decouple the LEM from the third stage, the whole thing violently explodes.

Last time I was trying out this stock craft was still with KSP 1.0.4 (and I think RO 10.2, but I may be mistaken), and I distinctly remember that there was an explosion effect when decoupling the LEM that most likely shouldn't be there. But at least there was no actual explosion involved back then. But now the whole thing gets ripped apart, and fragments fly away spinning in all directions.

Tried editing the savegame and lowering the ejection force of the decoupler in question (stackSeparatorMini), but no change.

Checked the FASA mod, and noticed in the ChangeLog a bunch of changes related to collider meshes and exploding decouplers, also affecting their version of the Saturn V/Apollo. Had a look at their craft file (which I assume isn't tuned for RO/RSS...), and funnily enough they don't even seem to have a stackSeparatorMini in there...

So... any chance to get this fixed? Or maybe even a workaround for now, so that I can continue the mission?

Since NathanKell now is involved in both RO and FASA, can we expect an update of the RO version based on the seemingly more advanced FASA one? Thinking of, for example, the floats for the capsule... and of course non-exploding decouplers :)

(Also addressing comments you make later in the thread)

The Saturn V craft file is an absolute beast, I have built and rebuilt it over a dozen times for RO. I leave off some parts that aren't entirely necessary (like the floats) that you are more than welcome to add to your own craft file (or even submit to the RO Github repository, I would be more than happy to pass the management of that beastly craft file to somebody else) if you like. You can add the extra bells and whistles to the 'bare bones' RO craft file using some of the time you saved by not having to construct the basics :)

I also found that even with the Raidernick fixed part, the separation is more violent than would be ideal. @NathanKell perhaps someone else versed in colliders and such should take another look at that part to see why that is, since we have a few reports of that occurring now?

On 1/28/2016 at 3:24 PM, Sput42 said:

Well. Now it no longer explodes, but it still is a rather violent separation, sending both parts of the spacecraft tumbling away at a good amount of speed. I guess that one could be fixed by lowering the ejection force though...

I assume the fix was removing/fixing a collision with the fairing base that caused the original explosion? However, that still doesn't affect the decoupler itself. I wonder if this thing should be a docking port instead, or a stack separator rather than a decoupler. Or it needs its parameters tuned at least. Or the special part used in stock FASA ported to RO.

Anyway, at least nothing got damaged, the spent stage was accidentally put on its intended collision course with the Moon, and just 2.5 m/s of course correction also sent Apollo back onto its intended path. So I can continue the mission at last!

What is the special part in FASA you speak of? I haven't booted FASA in stock in... literally years :)

If you think that might resolve it, please try and post some pics or observations. Prior to KSP 1.0.5 changing how colliders work, the decoupler I put in there was working very nicely, so I assumed the new exploding condition was purely collider related.

2 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

That is a common one, I forget sometimes and think this as well.

Hydrazine is one of a few substances that can only be placed in the 'Service Module' type tank. There are other monopropellents that you can store in other tanks types if you don't want to use a ServiceModule tank.

So if I set the proc tank to servicemodule, I'll be able to install hydrazine? Okay, but is there a way to apply it into a bipropellant tank?

Hi there,

First, @NathanKell, thank you for all the work you're doing for this mod.

I think, as I use to track the development on the github repository and with the answer you've given to @MajorLeaugeRocketScience, that there are now many more mods supported by RO (and maybe RP-0) than the ones which are listed in the thread's main page.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if it is right, could you update this list?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, hargn said:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if it is right, could you update this list?

I know that at least

-B9 Aerospace (not only wings)

-Cryogenic Engines

- Asteroid Day

-Baha Adjustable Landing Gear

-Chaka Monkey parts (Orion, deep space habitats, engines)

-SSTU

-DECQ Saturn V

-DECQ Buran

-CSS by Mike NZ (Shuttle from Dragon1 is outdated)

-Spice Launch System

-Constellation Essentials (Copernicus MTV)

-Launchers Pack (Atlas V, Falcon 9, Delta II, Delta III)

-Saabstory Pack (Centaur)

are supported.

12 minutes ago, StarStryder said:

I'm confused.  I'm try to fit a heat shield and it won't go on the right way around:

[...]

Surely the curved face should point away from the fuselage?

Looks like a node config problem.  Just hit alt-f12, and turn on "non-strict part attachment rules" or the like.

You guys are overcomplicating things. @StarStryder, thin parts like that are often hard to snap properly. You just need to be very careful with your mouse control. Move the mouse cursor VERY slooooowly downwards until shield turns green.

It WILL SNAP. There's nothing wrong with the node config and you don't need to go to the cheat menu.

(As to whether it survives or is destroyed as Nathan indicates is another matter entirely and I make no warranty one way or the other)

On 2/5/2016 at 0:23 AM, NathanKell said:

@g00bd0g under what conditions?

Figured it out. This is for a MK1 Pod (2m) lunar return with a PE around 65km. Initially I had attached a fuel tank and engine directly to the heat shield and just let them "burn off". This results in the lunar return rated 2m heat shield never actually heating. I took the same vehicle and ejected the tank and engine from the heat shield before re-entry and things worked as expected.

Note: I only had 101 ablator to begin with. And all the 0 flux numbers.

8OACE6R.png

Edited by g00bd0g

Thanks for your answer @winged,

The best would be to update the RO's suggested mods list.

SSTU is stable in RO, or it is still WIP and bugged (even stratochief brings a lot of work around it)?

And Constellation's part freezes while loading, is that coming from PP? I haven't installed Stretchy SRB cause it is marked for KSP 0.23.5

20 hours ago, Starwaster said:

You guys are overcomplicating things. @StarStryder, thin parts like that are often hard to snap properly. You just need to be very careful with your mouse control. Move the mouse cursor VERY slooooowly downwards until shield turns green.

It WILL SNAP. There's nothing wrong with the node config and you don't need to go to the cheat menu.

Just to clarify, it does snap, but it snaps transparent.  I have tried be very slow and deliberate and I can get it to mount correctly but it seems to be more luck than judgement.  To my mind there's still an issue there.  Whether it's an issue with the core game or the RO mod, I don't know but it shouldn't be that difficult to connect a part.

20 hours ago, Starwaster said:

(As to whether it survives or is destroyed as Nathan indicates is another matter entirely and I make no warranty one way or the other)

Yeah, I know.  Stuff like that is just part of the learning curve of building rockets.

11 hours ago, hargn said:

And Constellation's part freezes while loading, is that coming from PP? I haven't installed Stretchy SRB cause it is marked for KSP 0.23.5

Grab it from here, should work:

https://github.com/PhineasFreak/ConstellationEssentials

11 hours ago, hargn said:

The best would be to update the RO's suggested mods list.

Ask NathanKell or Felger for that.

I noticed the AJ10-118K with the KW Rocketry model has infinite restarts but the variant with the model from Lack's SXT only has 10 restarts, and I'm asking if it is intentional or will it be changed? I know how to fix it for myself, though.