[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

@wingedthe release on GitHub is wildly incompatible with RO (i had made it for a personal project of mine), but it should work now that i made the necessary changes.

@hargnthere was an issue with the compatibility since there are two different packs for the RSS version of Constellation Essentials: one is the original from Bahamuto and another one is from MeCripp. The latest one broke some things although i have fixed the compatibility. If you still have problems could you send me a log file?

20 hours ago, StarStryder said:

Just to clarify, it does snap, but it snaps transparent.  I have tried be very slow and deliberate and I can get it to mount correctly but it seems to be more luck than judgement.  To my mind there's still an issue there.  Whether it's an issue with the core game or the RO mod, I don't know but it shouldn't be that difficult to connect a part.

Yeah, I know.  Stuff like that is just part of the learning curve of building rockets.

Yeah, I understand that it's translucent and red. Thin parts like that do have a tendency to behave like that and that's a core issue with the game. Whether it works or not is not random though, just keep practicing with it until you can attach it properly at will consistently. There's nothing else that can be done about it, not mod-side.

I haven't used the "Science Archives" tab in the R&D building for awhile so maybe this is normal but I just noticed that in my RO/RSS/RP-0 game, the Science Archives page lists all the expected RSS planets and moons with one exception.  Instead of "Earth" being shown, it says "Kerbin" though the planet graphic is correct.  Is this a problem with my install or does this happen to everyone?

On 2/10/2016 at 10:48 AM, chrisl said:

I haven't used the "Science Archives" tab in the R&D building for awhile so maybe this is normal but I just noticed that in my RO/RSS/RP-0 game, the Science Archives page lists all the expected RSS planets and moons with one exception.  Instead of "Earth" being shown, it says "Kerbin" though the planet graphic is correct.  Is this a problem with my install or does this happen to everyone?

Yeah, I asked that same question a few pages back.  Wait!  I believe this qualifies as 'frequently asked', sweet!

Okay folks, here is me trying to be a good citizen.  I added this to the RO bugs list:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/Q&A#bugs

Glad to see I'm not alone.  :)

What is the current RO standard for base/station parts?  I see PorkJets Habitation Pack in the suggestions list (I honestly haven't use it before, but it looks really nice!), but that mod is not available via CKAN due to it being 1.0.4 compatible.  So while I can certainly brute-force install it I try not to do that.  But I can also see RO conversion files still available in the RO directory so I'm guessing it would still work.

What about MKS/UKS or the new-ish Pathfinder mod?  MKS/UKS while not 'real' could potentially be real, maybe, perhaps someday...  Does that qualify as 'good enough' for the Realism Overhaul mod?  :)

On 2/7/2016 at 5:35 AM, hargn said:

Thanks for your answer @winged,

The best would be to update the RO's suggested mods list.

SSTU is stable in RO, or it is still WIP and bugged (even stratochief brings a lot of work around it)?

And Constellation's part freezes while loading, is that coming from PP? I haven't installed Stretchy SRB cause it is marked for KSP 0.23.5

SSTU isn't and never will be stable in RO until work stops on SSTU. Hell, SSTU isn't even on CKAN.

It is also a complex enough mod that there will always be bugs in it, so by an absolute standard it is certainly bugged. There are still parts in FASA that aren't configured well or at all for RO, so by that standard I would also consider FASA 'bugged' in RO.

Is it 'good enough' that you can still use the majority of the parts? Absolutely. It is well enough configured that I was able to build an SLS and fly Orion and Altair to the moon.

Just make sure you download the most recent SSTU release off of Github and the live version of RO (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul , Download ZIP) as it changes far more often than RO makes major releases. If the most recent version of SSTU ever gives you trouble (which can happen if SSTU has made major changes that RO hasn't had a chance to accommodate for) try an older version of SSTU, back one version.

Also, @JoseEduardo helped make some of the SSTU-RO configurations up until a month or two ago, and @Shadowmage himself has been helping out recently as well.

On 1/31/2016 at 6:49 AM, jooly kerman said:

how  to install true clouds in rss show video

i have rss and clouds but my clouds are no install:mad:

If you run KSP on linux, you might be in luck: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/75157-wip104-rss-visual-enhancements-rve/&do=findComment&comment=2401739

If not, my videos linked in the same thread might help.

Edited by stratochief66

On 2/7/2016 at 5:32 PM, legoclone09 said:

I noticed the AJ10-118K with the KW Rocketry model has infinite restarts but the variant with the model from Lack's SXT only has 10 restarts, and I'm asking if it is intentional or will it be changed? I know how to fix it for myself, though.

Great question. This is actually a project we are currently working on. There are so many different mods that implement the same engines, we are moving to having templates for each type of engine that contain the core statistics (thrust, ISP, mass, ignitions) and applying those to each implementation of that engine so that stats and specs are consistent across mods. Also, it will have the major added benefit that we only have to makes changes or fixes one time, instead of to each different version of an engine.

I must be losing my mind. I can't for the life of me find the RS-68A engine. (Used on the Delta IV Heavy) I have unlocked nearly every node under the RO/RP-0 setup. None of the remaining nodes have the engine. Was it removed? Am I crazy?

On 12/17/2015 at 5:23 AM, sjsninetrys said:

Are you using the correct fuel for that specific engine? - Heres a good guide to getting started with RO - https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/First-RO-Rocket

Nope. turns out i didn't understand the purpose of the "SolverEnginges" mod and deleted it, but thanks for responding.

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@gonzo98x it's in the second-to-last hydrolox node (Advanced Hydrolox Engines)

Looks like I may have a wonky install.

Here is what that node gives me - 

EDIT: Hmmm Using a fresh install of RP-0/RO with RSS that node (Advanced Hydrolox Engine) is now completely empty. Did I misunderstand something?  Is the RS-68a part of a mod pack? 

P.S. I used CKAN to install all mods with dependencies.

Edited by gonzo98x

You also got the overlapping nodes, interesting. Guess it'S because of older saves.

I've got 2 RS68 engines in that node: One just called RS-68, and another RS-68 Booster (3.5 m). First one is from Nerteas Cryogenic Engine pack, not sure where the second one is from (partname: VR1vulcan). Kinda low res, maybe SXT or FASA?

Personally I'd recommend getting Cryo Engines, looks really good. Mind it's enough to install the parts folder afaik.

Edited by Temeter

Physics question... after updating same mods.. etc

Would it be ok to leave the RO physics config file in the RO folder (my default before and after) or must one replace the root folder physics file.

Wondering as I could barely get a payload into orbit (planned Dv), now with the same rocket I could literally hit the moon direct ?

Mods

8hUkkSE.jpg

On 1/22/2016 at 9:01 PM, Sahadara said:

Any chance of support for Deep Space Exploration Vessels? It is designed to be somewhat realistic, following design proposals made by NASA. It would be great to have that fusion engine for missions way way out there to the outer system, especially with RSS addons adding places like Eris and Sedna.

Bumping because I think this would be really cool and I think other people would enjoy it too.

12 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Bumping because I think this would be really cool and I think other people would enjoy it too.

Bumps and begging don't get things configured for RO. People interested enough to learn how to configure things for RO is what it takes.

I'm having some issues with RO/RSS+Remote Tech and sending probes to the outer planets.  I've got a pair of probes I've sent to Uranus and Neptune, respectively.  Both probes are setup identically using the RN_US_Probes pack, Voyager 1/2 probe as the base.  That probe has a 10Tm (1E+13) dish antenna which is on and pointed at Earth.  And the generator on the probe is keeping it's ElectricCharge topped off so there is plenty of power.

Back at Earth, the default Deep Space network sites have a 100Tm (1E+14) range.  Plus I have four satellites in geostationary orbit each equipped with a 40Tm (eE+13) dish antenna (set to target "Active Vessel").

At the present time, the Earth is more or less between the sun and both probes.  The probe that's going to Neptune is 3.25Tm from the Sun while the probe going to Uranus is 2.73Tm.  So as far as I can tell, the antennas should be in range to communicate.  But in both cases I've got a "No Connection" notice so I can't issue commands or make course corrections or anything.  Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? 
Is there a way to turn off the communication requirement without removing RemoteTech until I can get this bug resolved?

13 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@ColKlonk you have multiple mods that aren't compatible with 1.0.5, as well as mods that presumably conflict (FAR, Module***SurfacePlus). And you should install Realism overhaul exactly as the OP tells you to, it does not involve changing files in your KSP root folder.

Thanks

It seems that the Stockbug fix produced 'heavier' physics, and I'd built my craft with this installed, whereas RSS/RO physics is 'lighter'.

It did bug me that I wasn't getting a 20:1 rocket/payload ratio.. was getting 26:1, but I ignored that thinking it was just KSP.

Edited by ColKlonk

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

@NathanKell: Are Raidernick's Soyuz/R-7 rockets working for you?

State something about your conditions @davidy12

If you run through the things in that thread and you still have trouble, it may be that the mod and/or RO config for the mod has been updated since the last major RO release, so you can try using the 'Download ZIP' live version of the RO repo (or, if you have a solid understanding of Github, you can look at the list of previously merged commits for updates specific to the mod you are interested in): https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul

Just now, stratochief66 said:

State something about your conditions @davidy12

If you run through the things in that thread and you still have trouble, it may be that the mod and/or RO config for the mod has been updated since the last major RO release, so you can try using the 'Download ZIP' live version of the RO repo (or, if you have a solid understanding of Github, you can look at the list of previously merged commits for updates specific to the mod you are interested in): https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul

Well, the parts appear, BUT, they have their stock configurations. Even though, I know that RO has its proper configs.