[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Not sure if this would be the right place to post this but I recently finished my latest Apollo Lunar mission.  After the TLI burn, I have the CSM turn around and dock with the LEM, then decouple the LEM from the S-IVB tank.  When I do, the CSM/LM are tossed away from the S-IVB at about 22m/s and that was with the decoupler set to only 5% of it's ejection force.  I did use the larger "stackDecoupler" so maybe that's why the ejection force was so great, but was hoping to make sure before I sent up my next Apollo mission.

Later, a few minutes prior to entry interface, I eject the "FASAApollo.CM.Top" which flies away fairly rapidly and seems to be catching on something on the CM because it spins as it flies away.  Is this a collision issue?

Finally, I decouple the SM from the CM.  When I do this, there is some separation between the two but it seems like the CM is catching on something because it immediately starts flipping over and I have to use a modest amount of RCS fuel to stabilize the CM.

What I'm trying to figure out is, are these known issues that are being worked on?  Are they already fixed and I just don't have the correct version of FASA for RO?  Or is this something that's just happening to me and is therefore likely an issue with my installation or craft file?

1 hour ago, chrisl said:

Not sure if this would be the right place to post this but I recently finished my latest Apollo Lunar mission.  After the TLI burn, I have the CSM turn around and dock with the LEM, then decouple the LEM from the S-IVB tank.  When I do, the CSM/LM are tossed away from the S-IVB at about 22m/s and that was with the decoupler set to only 5% of it's ejection force.  I did use the larger "stackDecoupler" so maybe that's why the ejection force was so great, but was hoping to make sure before I sent up my next Apollo mission.

I had this problem too. My solution was to use a small procedural decoupler-- smaller than you would think is normal-- and then reinforce the joint between the fairing base and bottom of the LEM with a few struts. When I decoupled the CSM/LEM stack, it was just a gentle nudge, and I was able to back away and steer clear of the S-IVB with RCS. Not sure if it matters, but I "stick built" my Saturn V with procedural parts, but I don't know that it would be different when using the FASA parts. 

Edited by jonrd463

On 2/25/2016 at 0:40 PM, chrisl said:

Later, a few minutes prior to entry interface, I eject the "FASAApollo.CM.Top" which flies away fairly rapidly and seems to be catching on something on the CM because it spins as it flies away.  Is this a collision issue?

Finally, I decouple the SM from the CM.  When I do this, there is some separation between the two but it seems like the CM is catching on something because it immediately starts flipping over and I have to use a modest amount of RCS fuel to stabilize the CM.

What I'm trying to figure out is, are these known issues that are being worked on?  Are they already fixed and I just don't have the correct version of FASA for RO?  Or is this something that's just happening to me and is therefore likely an issue with my installation or craft file?

Haha, I just read this while literally taking another run at the LEM/LMA base issue.

Originally, the LMA collider would damage the LEM when it was decoupled. You may already have the believed fixed mu, but here it is anyway just incase. 

I decoupled the chute cover in orbit with no problems, so the catching might just be fun aerodynamic dynamics. Try it in orbit and see if it works well without the air interfering.

I get the same flip from SM/CM decoupling as well. Perhaps it is a mild collider issue? Dunno, unfortunately not the type of issue I can fix. Someone capable of viewing and manipulating collider model things might.

I also get the LMA bump when separating the LM. My guess is that it is residual collider issues with either the LMA base or the Saturn IU ring. The LMA base is constructed from 2 half circle fairing pieces that were deprecated from FASA long ago. I haven't looked at FASA in stock recently, but perhaps you (or someone) could create the RO-LMA base from something else, particularly if FASA in stock uses some other existing part for their LMA.

That said, I just look at the existing craft file, so some of those issues could be baked in. I really don't know which part features/functions are refreshed from stored configs or are baked in at craft construction.

4 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Haha, I just read this while literally taking another run at the LEM/LMA base issue.

Originally, the LMA collider would damage the LEM when it was decoupled. You may already have the believed fixed mu, but here it is anyway just incase. 

I decoupled the chute cover in orbit with no problems, so the catching might just be fun aerodynamic dynamics. Try it in orbit and see if it works well without the air interfering.

I get the same flip from SM/CM decoupling as well. Perhaps it is a mild collider issue? Dunno, unfortunately not the type of issue I can fix. Someone capable of viewing and manipulating collider model things might.

I also get the LMA bump when separating the LM. My guess is that it is residual collider issues with either the LMA base or the Saturn IU ring. The LMA base is constructed from 2 half circle fairing pieces that were deprecated from FASA long ago. I haven't looked at FASA in stock recently, but perhaps you (or someone) could create the RO-LMA base from something else, particularly if FASA in stock uses some other existing part for their LMA.

That said, I just look at the existing craft file, so some of those issues could be baked in. I really don't know which part features/functions are refreshed from stored configs or are baked in at craft construction.

I'm not damaging the LEM during separation so I think I have the updated file.

I always decouple the chute cover while in orbit.  Not sure why but I always have.

I think stock FASA has a single SLA ring (FASAFairingsApolloPlate375m) instead of the two part item we have in RO.  I'll take a look at what's in stock FASA and see what it would take to set it up for RO.  Have to say, it sure would be nice if we could setup the SLA similar to how the interstage fairing in Procedural Fairings works so we wouldn't need to add an extra decoupler.  Just can't figure out how that works.  Though I may take another crack at it.

Hi,

I've just seen that a new release of RO was available, so thank to all the great people who worked on it.

A new repository called "GoForLaunch" has been created for a "collaborative RP-0 career". What does it means?

Is that a fork of RP-0 or a new project of RO career concurrent to RP-0?

Last, as you probably will update the thread's first post, can you update the current supported mods list as I've already requested?

Thanks

Hello, 
I'm asking for your help because I've been trying long and hard to make SSTU work in 1.0.5 RO and it always freezes on loading once it starts sorting the SSTU parts.
I've tried with the updated RO patch downloadable from github and I've tried downloading old versions of SSTU (which are stored on their own github directory) but to no avail.

Anyone who managed to make this work in Realism overhaul, could you instruct me as to which version you use?

Thank you very much indeed.

28 minutes ago, Dolin said:

Hello, 
I'm asking for your help because I've been trying long and hard to make SSTU work in 1.0.5 RO and it always freezes on loading once it starts sorting the SSTU parts.
I've tried with the updated RO patch downloadable from github and I've tried downloading old versions of SSTU (which are stored on their own github directory) but to no avail.

Anyone who managed to make this work in Realism overhaul, could you instruct me as to which version you use?

Thank you very much indeed.

Hello @Dolin, 

if you download today's release of Realism Overhaul (released a few hours ago, thread title etc not changed yet)  you can safely use the SSTU version 0.3.28-pre5.

newest Realism Overhaul Release: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/releases/tag/v10.9.0

compatible SSTU version: https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.28-pre5

Please note that not every single part is configured and will likely see major changes in the future as SSTU is a very fast progressing mod. But if you install the before mentioned versions you will be able to load fine. 

Edited by Theysen

Hi, guys. It seems that new release (10.9.0) breaks FASA's Titan first stage tank and LR-87 engine: Both of them don't have RO config, only stock one. Manual reinstalling of FASA and RO didn't help, but I took file /GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/FASA/RO_FASA_Titan.cfg from previous release, and all is working fine now.

I can reproduce this bug and send my logs to you.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

@hargn check the thread in the addon discussion forum on Go For Launch, it's just a bunch of us playing RP-0 collaboratively. And yes, I will update the mods when I have time; I didn't even post the note last night, it was like 4am!

RO v10.9.0:

• Created a 'Global Config' system for common engine stats on the backend (HUGE thanks SirKeplan, PhineasFreak, A1Ch1, et al)
  • Actually moved many/most of our engines to use the Global Configs (again thanks to all!)
  • More SSTU (up to 0.3.28-pre5) Improvements & Overhauls (thanks SirKeplan, shadowmage45, stratochief, et al)
  • Many RSB craft, part, and plume adds & fixes (thanks PhineasFreak)
  • Many raidernick fixes to things (luna9, vostok, va, trs, skylab, antares, cygnus) (thanks raidernick)
  • raidernick adds (Juno ii, Mariner 1/2) (thanks raidernick)
  • more raidernick adds (AJ10-37) (thanks raidernick)
  • CSS temp fixes (thanks raidernick)
  • FASA Agena-B addition (thanks raidernick)
  • Removal of DECQ Buran cfgs (out of date, incompatible) (thanks raidernick)
  • craft adds/fixes (thanks raidernick)
  • VSR VA ablator upgrade to transluner (thanks NathanKell)
  • Improvements & fixes to ROMini (thanks NathanKell)
  • SXT lifesupport & station adds/upgrades (thanks Zarbizaure, NathanKell)
  • Starting to add some TestFlight engine configs into RO (thanks NathanKell, mellon85)
  • Some typo fixes (thanks Starwaster)
  • Improved/added ScanSat support (thanks NathanKell)
  • General naming, price, and tech fixes (thanks NathanKell)
  • RCS FX appearance fix (thanks NathanKell)
  • NK9 fix & plumes (thank NathanKell)
  • APAS, Apollo docking port, VSR VA adds & fixes (thank NathanKell)
  • ISS destiny part uncomment (thanks cameronleger)
  • Castor 4A tweak (thanks ctiberious)
  • Skylab lab add (thanks ctiberious)
  • Gimbal fix for Castor 30XL (thanks A1Ch1)
  • Minuteman fix (thanks A1Ch1)
  • typo fixes and good catches (thanks A1Ch1)
  • Add M55 config (thanks A1Ch1)
  • OLDD Saturn fixes/rewrite/add (thanks PhineasFreak)
  • Constellation parts from BahamutoD, various RealPlumes (thanks PhineasFreak)
  • RL10 polish, improvements, citations (thanks SirKeplan)
  • Fix Adjustable Landing Gear (thanks winged7)
  • SXT hab/station improvements (thanks Zarbizaure, NathanKell)
  • TKS, Antares/Cygnus, Skylab fixes and Thor-Able/Delta/Burner/Epsilon support (thanks Raidernick)
  • Add Agena B parts as FASA clones (thanks Raidernick)
  • Add support for generic TestFlight engine config generation (thanks NathanKell)
  • Add more TestFlight reliability configs (thanks mellons85, NathanKell)
  • Add NK-9 / NK-9V as clones of BobCat Soviet Engines NK-33/43.

On 2/29/2016 at 1:00 AM, hargn said:

Hi,

I've just seen that a new release of RO was available, so thank to all the great people who worked on it.

A new repository called "GoForLaunch" has been created for a "collaborative RP-0 career". What does it means?

Last, as you probably will update the thread's first post, can you update the current supported mods list as I've already requested?

Thanks

GFL (BTW, I'm not personally involved) is not a mod, but a project where, with multiplayer, telemachus, and RO/RSS/RP-0, people will fly missions with one person controlling a aspect of the mission, like in real life spaceflight.  I'll point you at Real Space Program (Which I am personally involved in) which has the same premise, but more progress and even a full mission complete with video:

On 29/02/2016 at 3:17 PM, Theysen said:

if you download today's release of Realism Overhaul (released a few hours ago, thread title etc not changed yet)  you can safely use the SSTU version 0.3.28-pre5.

newest Realism Overhaul Release: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/releases/tag/v10.9.0

compatible SSTU version: https://github.com/shadowmage45/SSTULabs/releases/tag/0.3.28-pre5

Please note that not every single part is configured and will likely see major changes in the future as SSTU is a very fast progressing mod. But if you install the before mentioned versions you will be able to load fine. 

Thank you very much! 
i've seen that today, with update 10.9.1, came "further SSTU improvements", does this mean that now RO is compatible with a version of SSTU later than 0.3.28-pre5?

Thanks again!

Just now, Dolin said:

Thank you very much! 
i've seen that today, with update 10.9.1, came "further SSTU improvements", does this mean that now RO is compatible with a version of SSTU later than 0.3.28-pre5?

Thanks again!

Correct me on this one if I'm  wrong, but I for myself have the 0.3.29 line of SSTU now in Realism Overhaul and it works out of the box. It doesn't crash and still has the parts configured we had before. Except the engine clustering is now dealt with in the the right click menus. 

33 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Correct me on this one if I'm  wrong, but I for myself have the 0.3.29 line of SSTU now in Realism Overhaul and it works out of the box. It doesn't crash and still has the parts configured we had before. Except the engine clustering is now dealt with in the the right click menus. 

I confirm it does not freeze upon loading HOWEVER now ksp crashes randomly after a few minutes in the VAB, I haven't been able to test it further to see whether it's SSTU or other things, though

1 hour ago, Dolin said:

I confirm it does not freeze upon loading HOWEVER now ksp crashes randomly after a few minutes in the VAB, I haven't been able to test it further to see whether it's SSTU or other things, though

That's gonna be something unique to your setup I think. You could be running into memory issues or half a dozen other things, but full game crashes aren't a common side effect of SSTU & RO. You could look into your memory situation with Sarbian's Graphic Memory Monitor, try running forced OpenGL or DX11, and/or try a fresh, basic RO install without SSTU and test the stability, only adding SSTU again after you've proved out the rest.

On 2/29/2016 at 4:00 AM, hargn said:

Hi,

Thanks

You could test out the old mods to see what works and what doesn't, we maintain a master list of that. Some of the mods listed in the OP haven't been updated themselves in many KSP versions so they have issues of their own, others coast through just fine and don't require updates.

For the most part, KSP RO config contributors are just configuring the mods they want to play themselves, and contributing the MM configs freely for others to use through the Realism Overhaul Github repository. A mod will be kept up to date only if someone finds that an update to the mod or KSP broke something, and a configuration fix is given through Github.

If someone wants to start a shared document for tracking and testing various mods for compatibility, feel free. This could be an excellent project for people who appreciate Realism Overhaul but don't feel up to the challenge of learning to make or modify configs themselves. :)

You think that old mods (like Lionhead's one that appears as RIP) that was never updated since KSP 0.25 could work with current KSP and RO releases? KSP updates have changed so many things (heat management eg.) that I dont think these mods are still playable now.

Else, the OP introduces a google spreadsheet that list supported mods WIP : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rSxyNjWSH7eWtUgRstVq_2jDGnAhTwtEiwyNIJhVALg/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=149381527 but it appears again that it has not been updated since a while.

I really would like to contribute to RO and RP-0 in order to accelerate futur releases and add support for new mods, but I first need to access to documentation (to understand the syntax and semantics used in the config files) and to be guided for the first steps.

1. Well, one way to contribute would indeed be to test out those old mods and see if they still work! Part mods from even .20 can in many cases still work fine in KSP particularly if they have patches (as we patch things) to bring them more up to date.

2. For configuring parts, feel free to drop by #RO (as linked in the OP) and we'd be happy to walk you through it! :)

On 2/26/2016 at 8:29 PM, stratochief66 said:

Well, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I believe it stopped the explosion, but it still had an ejection force way too high. So pretty much what chrisl is seeing.

The other bug I had around that time (end of January) was that SM and CM didn't properly decouple. I didn't have a problem with spinning, but the SM would decouple and then immediately latch on again, but slightly skewed. No way to get those separated properly other than reloading and trying again a few times, or rotating quickly enough to get the thing thrown away before it could latch on again.

That said, I didn't get around to play KSP since end of January. I did try your (not really) fixed .mu and ran a mission with it, with the above results. But I can't say if things have improved in later updates.

3 hours ago, Sput42 said:

Well, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I believe it stopped the explosion, but it still had an ejection force way too high. So pretty much what chrisl is seeing.

The other bug I had around that time (end of January) was that SM and CM didn't properly decouple. I didn't have a problem with spinning, but the SM would decouple and then immediately latch on again, but slightly skewed. No way to get those separated properly other than reloading and trying again a few times, or rotating quickly enough to get the thing thrown away before it could latch on again.

That said, I didn't get around to play KSP since end of January. I did try your (not really) fixed .mu and ran a mission with it, with the above results. But I can't say if things have improved in later updates.

There might be a borked collider with the Saturn IU; that is what chrisl's further work suggests to me. We're waiting on someone with the know-how to look into that collider for us and see if it is concave or convex or whatever is required as of 1.0.5 (you can tell -I- don't have said know-how). I haven't had the SM/CM issue, that could also be caused by colliders. Since this all worked smooth as butter under 1.0.4 that is what I would assume, so the same conditions as for the Saturn IU apply here. Volunteer opportunity :)