[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

While building a new ship I found something odd. 

Tanks for life support (Food, Water, Oxygen) differ in dry mass a lot.

Size: diameter  = 1.5 m and length = 0.1 m

Tank Procedural: 0.5301 kg

Tank Life Support (Precedural): 114.9 kg

Volume in [L] is about the same and content differs by about 10-20 %.

Is there any reasonal explaination?

Now I am switching from Mercury-like craft to Gemini. I was wandering, why that MK3-9 capsule from Near Future has such a large diameter. camparison gives:

MK1 (stock) - 1 m

MK2 (stock) and MK3-9 (Near Future) 4 m 

As far as I red, Gemini was about 3 m in diameter and Apollo a little less than 4 m. Maybe the scale factor in "RO_NearFuture_Spacecraft.cfg" should be smaller than 1.6. A factor of 1.2 works fine.

(Size and weight of TKS VA Command Module seems to be off, too.)

What do you think?

25 minutes ago, officialmugi said:

How is 1.1 compatibility on this?

It isn't. Going from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 took over a month, and 1.1 is an even bigger jump, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. RO depends on a whole suite of other mods too which need to be updated before it's compatible.

@officialmugi: Now that @NathanKell is on the official KSP dev team I expect the 1.1 compatible release to have a bit of a head start (also some of the module changes in the base game seem very specifically geared to stuff RO might implement in the future). This doesn't alleviate the problem of 1.1 incompatible dependencies though. A month might be right but there's also a big overhaul planned for realism overhaul (which was put on hold to not have to do everything over after 1.1) that's happening in the near future. I have no idea whether they'll overhaul and then release that as the first 1.1 release or whether there'll be an interim 1.1 compatible RO release. Keep checking the thread, the IRC and the GitHub for more info!

Hi all

New to the forum, but been playing the game a couple of years now - just decided to go for the Realism mod.

I've had a quick search but can't find anything related, so here goes.

I've run a clean install of KSP, and I'm running it as 32bit on a 64bit machine/windows. I've installed the CKAN and all of the mods associated with the Realism Overhaul. I've also installed Real Solar System with the lowest Res texture pack. Also installed RealisticProgressionZero.

I have started a Career Mode game and I can navigate the SpaceCentre ok, but when I click on Mission Control, VAB, SPH or the Tracking Station the game just crashes and shuts down.

I'm able to click on the R&D ok along with the Astronaut Complex.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - let me know if you need any more info.

This is my add-on checker list:

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.6.1
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
Connected Living Space - 1.2.0.2
Contract Configurator - 1.9.11
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.4
Deadly Reentry - 7.3.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.5.7
Firespitter - 7.1.5
Kerbal Construction Time - 1.3.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.19.4
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
KW-Rocketry-Community-Fixes - 0.4.10
Procedural Parts - 1.1.11
RCS Build Aid - 0.7.7
RealChute - 1.3.2.7
RealismOverhaul - 10.9.6
RealSolarSystem - 10.6.2
RemoteTech - 1.6.9
Saturatable RW - 1.10.2.1
SCANsat - 1.1.4.9
ShipManifest - 5.0.1
SolverEngines - 1.15
TestFlight - 1.5.4
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
TAC Life Support - 0.11.2.1
VenStockRevamp - 1.9

Edited by Mike Kerman

47 minutes ago, Mike Kerman said:

Hi all

New to the forum, but been playing the game a couple of years now - just decided to go for the Realism mod.

I've had a quick search but can't find anything related, so here goes.

I've run a clean install of KSP, and I'm running it as 32bit on a 64bit machine/windows. I've installed the CKAN and all of the mods associated with the Realism Overhaul. I've also installed Real Solar System with the lowest Res texture pack. Also installed RealisticProgressionZero.

I have started a Career Mode game and I can navigate the SpaceCentre ok, but when I click on Mission Control, VAB, SPH or the Tracking Station the game just crashes and shuts down.

I'm able to click on the R&D ok along with the Astronaut Complex.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - let me know if you need any more info.

This is my add-on checker list:

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.6.1
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
Connected Living Space - 1.2.0.2
Contract Configurator - 1.9.11
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.4
Deadly Reentry - 7.3.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.5.7
Firespitter - 7.1.5
Kerbal Construction Time - 1.3.2
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.19.4
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
KW-Rocketry-Community-Fixes - 0.4.10
Procedural Parts - 1.1.11
RCS Build Aid - 0.7.7
RealChute - 1.3.2.7
RealismOverhaul - 10.9.6
RealSolarSystem - 10.6.2
RemoteTech - 1.6.9
Saturatable RW - 1.10.2.1
SCANsat - 1.1.4.9
ShipManifest - 5.0.1
SolverEngines - 1.15
TestFlight - 1.5.4
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
TAC Life Support - 0.11.2.1
VenStockRevamp - 1.9

Panic over

Started again - created a new volume on HDD and copied fresh install from Steam directory - this time I added the ActiveTextureManagement mod

Everything seems to work so fingers crossed !

Hello, I just wanted to report a possible problem with the SSTU configs.

I've been using the Apollo capsule and I cannot seem to manage to dock it with anything, the docking port just doesn't seem to be functional.
The standalone docking ports provided with SSTU are not scalable and thus do not match the one placed on top of the apollo capsule by default, and it doesn't work with the clamp-o-tron-based docking ports either.

Not a big deal after all, one could fix the issue by sticking a different port on top of the already present one, I just wanted to let the appropriate people know.

4 hours ago, Dolin said:

Hello, I just wanted to report a possible problem with the SSTU configs.

I've been using the Apollo capsule and I cannot seem to manage to dock it with anything, the docking port just doesn't seem to be functional.
The standalone docking ports provided with SSTU are not scalable and thus do not match the one placed on top of the apollo capsule by default, and it doesn't work with the clamp-o-tron-based docking ports either.

Not a big deal after all, one could fix the issue by sticking a different port on top of the already present one, I just wanted to let the appropriate people know.

Not every docking port is compatible with every other port.  I'm not familiar with SSTU so I can't say for sure but I know the Apollo docking probe and drogue from FASA are not compatible with the clamp-o-tron.  Presumably the Apollo in SSTU is the same.  That's not a problem.  It's working as intended.

Hello,

I'm trying to build a space shuttle capable of re-entering with realism overhaul (RSS). However, it really doesn't work, last time I tried to deorbit from a 250km circular orbit, heading to a 70km periapsis, with a high AoA (more than 70° at first, then lowered to 45° when air pressure started to destabilize the shuttle) ; I lost the first parts from overheating at about 90km of altitude, and lost my wings at 80km (and mostly everything else soon after). Is such a scenario supposed to work, am I doing something wrong? I'm using B9 for the cockpit and cargo bay, and B9 procedural wings ; maybe the problem is that these part have no heat shield? Is there an alternative?

Are you using the spaceplane wings or the early and/or supersonic ones? The spaceplane wings are rated for LEO reentries, the others not so much. What was your wing loading? I've done low-wing-loading reentries even with ~1600 K max temp parts, not the 2600-2800 that those parts should have. I think @ferram4 may have done higher wing loading once or twice?

Something interesting happened to my ship yesterday. its procedural tanks started to overheat timewarping near Jupiter periapsis which was about 3 million m.

Is this normal, is getting close to jupiter dangerous. I managed to control overheating by not time-warping but it is still strange. Should I use shielded tanks around jupiter.

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Are you using the spaceplane wings or the early and/or supersonic ones? The spaceplane wings are rated for LEO reentries, the others not so much. What was your wing loading? I've done low-wing-loading reentries even with ~1600 K max temp parts, not the 2600-2800 that those parts should have. I think @ferram4 may have done higher wing loading once or twice?

Oups, my bad, I thought I was using B9 parts, but actually it was stock parts and the Procedural Wings mod. Now I see the wings rated for LEO reentry, looks better, thanks :)

No more aero forces after 1.1

Hi all, I am running RO/RP-0 on linux x64, KSP105.

Recently, I updated the mods via ckan, including some updates that were meant for 1.1 (but marked compatible with 1.0.5). Now I don't see any more aero forces.

I downgraded ModularFlightIntegrator again, but that wasn't the culprit.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS: As my late scientist found out, I still get heating from the atmosphere. (I thought I could use the missing drag to do a very efficient low flight into orbit, but then the third stage exploded...

Edited by Lilienthal

So, I thought I had a great idea for maximizing solar power for my probe, but it seems to be a no-go.  You can see when I extend my RCS arm, the panels don't move as well.  Anything I can do to fix this?  As a side note, I have no idea which mod that part comes from, is there an easy way to tell?

1 hour ago, rsparkyc said:

So, I thought I had a great idea for maximizing solar power for my probe, but it seems to be a no-go.  You can see when I extend my RCS arm, the panels don't move as well.  Anything I can do to fix this?  As a side note, I have no idea which mod that part comes from, is there an easy way to tell?

Well first of all, this has nothing to do with RO at all, this is a limitation of the stock game so this is not the right place to post this. Parts that are connected in KSP have no collision; they are attached at a set of coordinates relative to the parent part and can't move from that spot. If you attach them to an animated part they won't move because of both previously stated reasons. The only way to do this is to use infernal robotics which is extremely buggy with this type of movement you want. Also it won't work with w/e part that is you are trying to use, you'd have to use the parts from that mod.

Edited by raidernick

1 hour ago, Lilienthal said:

I am away from my KSP computer until Tuesday. Can only do proper bug report after that.

@Firstarter, maybe you can upload you logfiles ?

I uninstalled KSP-AVC, downgraded ModularFlightIntegrator and that seemed to fix it, now I got re-entry heat back, perhaps I deleted an extra mod that I forgot atm, not sure though

20 hours ago, Lilienthal said:

No more aero forces after 1.1

Hi all, I am running RO/RP-0 on linux x64, KSP105.

Recently, I updated the mods via ckan, including some updates that were meant for 1.1 (but marked compatible with 1.0.5). Now I don't see any more aero forces.

I downgraded ModularFlightIntegrator again, but that wasn't the culprit.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS: As my late scientist found out, I still get heating from the atmosphere. (I thought I could use the missing drag to do a very efficient low flight into orbit, but then the third stage exploded...

I'm actually seeing the same thing.  Looks like I won't be returning this data to the surface until there's a bug fix

On March 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM, cytosine said:

"Aerojet's M-1 was the largest and most powerful liquid hydrogen-fueled liquid fuel rocket engine to be designed and component tested. The M-1 offered a baseline thrust of 6.67 million N (1.5 million lbf) and 8 million N (1.8 million lbf) as its immediate growth target. If built, the M-1 would be larger and more efficient than the famed F-1 that powered the first stage of the Saturn V rocket to the moon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-1_(rocket_engine)

That's only slightly more thrust than the F-1. If you want to get into really ridiculous engines, take a look at Sea Dragon. The first-stage engine is about 40x as powerful as the F-1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket)

Here's an engine.cfg for Sea Dragon's engines in RO.
https://gist.github.com/borogove/208873eb46bd3f1fa663

Hi guys i am new to all these mods etc, I have installed ckan and used it to install the realism solar system mods all the exact same ones (or all the ones i could) as scott manley did in his you tube tutorial install, i have been trying all day with fresh installs etc  to get it working.  I'm now a the point where I'm loading the game up first time since all the downloads it takes ages(which is expected) but it will get to the end and just close the programme completely, i have manage to get the the 'start game' screen click new game the it closed down on me again can, i have tried this with the opengl trick to but can't get the game to work its very frustrating my eager to get it sorted out.

Can anyone help me please, thank you.