[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

3 hours ago, MissMolly said:

iv not found any thing as of yet so would i be right to assume the 1.1 update is still be worked on?

Yes. This question has been covered in the last page or two, please do modders the courtesy or giving the last page or two a cursory read. 

56 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yep, we're chugging along...

In all honesty im just happy that these mods are being worked on. Your work really kicks the already awesome game tho the next level and beyond. Take your time, i think most of us will hapilly wait!

Edited by species

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Yep, we're chugging along...

Sheer curiosity here....Is all you do KSP?  :cool:

I mean, are you allowed to work on RO at work when you need to clear your head from base KSP for a bit (since it's related), or do you work on it in your free time (meaning KSP is your life, like us lowly little minions)?

Hello,

Just wanted to bring a mod called Kerbalism to your attention! I dont have a link but it's like a combo of remote tech, TAC LS, and some other mods. It incorprates things like radiation sheilding, cramped spaces causeing problems, and exersize!

just wanted to bring this to your attention just in case :wink: I cant wait for this amazing mod to be updated. You are all amazing!

1 hour ago, Cooboo said:

Hello,

Just wanted to bring a mod called Kerbalism to your attention! I dont have a link but it's like a combo of remote tech, TAC LS, and some other mods. It incorprates things like radiation sheilding, cramped spaces causeing problems, and exersize!

just wanted to bring this to your attention just in case :wink: I cant wait for this amazing mod to be updated. You are all amazing!

coobo kerbalsim is basicaly a combo of thosse mods but also its dumbed down some and also it has 0 compatibly with most mods so not realy good since it dont play nice with other mods yet.

Hi folks,

An innocent newcomer happened to ask about an ETA schedule for the 1.1.1 update to this mod.  This then prompted a flurry of responses, by well-meaning folks telling the newcomer not to ask that.  (The newcomer tidied up their post as soon as they realized their mistake.)  It was all completely off the topic of this wonderful mod itself, so the whole sub-thread has been pruned out.

I know we've all read the forum guidelines (right?), but in the interest of reducing confusion, it's worth reviewing a couple of points.

First, please don't pester mod authors for updates.  It's a problem.  It's enough of a problem that a new rule had to be added (see 2.3.f in the above-linked guidelines):  do not request an update, do not ask when a mod will be updated, if the information has already been made clear or if anyone prior to you has already posted about it.  Yes, we know you're eager for your favorite mod.  There will be an update when the author has the time and inclination to do so, and jostling the author's elbow with an update request doesn't make it happen any faster.  (Not even when it's NathanKell, who is a friendly, patient, and extraordinarily busy person whom we are very fortunate to have engaged in our community, and none of us want to give him any potential reason to regret his engagement, do we?)  :wink:

If you're curious about the reason for this rule, or are interested in discussing it, there's a good thread here:

Second, please don't back-seat moderate.  Arguing about forum rules with other forum-goers tends to spiral fairly rapidly.  If you see a post that appears inappropriate or guideline-breaking, please just report the post rather than responding in the thread.  Doing so will call the attention of the nearest moderator, and we can then decide whether any action is appropriate.

Okay, enough with the speechifying about stuff that you all knew already anyway.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled mod discussion, already in progress.

5 hours ago, sidfu said:

coobo kerbalsim is basicaly a combo of thosse mods but also its dumbed down some and also it has 0 compatibly with most mods so not realy good since it dont play nice with other mods yet.

Ah ok,

Well I just wanted to throw it out there! You never know your luck, maybe these awesome people will incorporate it one day! Anyways, Keep it up guys. :) I love your work

On 26.4.2016 at 3:18 AM, Dman979 said:

Ok, @NathanKell, got a question for ya-

Besides Soviet Engines (which is rapidly becoming depreciated), are there any other mods that have the RD-180?

Thanks.

Bobcat's Soviet Engine Pack is one of my favorite addons for RO. Why it is becoming depreciated? Is there noone to care about? It would be a shame if we loose this mod.

11 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Korvath85 I work on RO in my free time, (stock) KSP is my job. :)

Why not make RO as "hardcore" mode for KSP stock? I mean not everything but mechanism like ullage, limited restarts, restricted SAS, TAC life support, Remote Tech, Scan Sat can easily be added and would be appreciated.
Rest like RSS, RP-0,or various part packs (FASA, etc) can be then added as mods but RO core would be there :)

Edited by przybysz86

3 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

Why not make RO as "hardcore" mode for KSP stock?

Please dont :D Nobody would wanna play "easy mode" and its already HC enough as it is i think. I bought the game for 5 or 6 of my friends as "donate" option. But none of em even managed to get Orbit........ Making the stock game harder would make things even worse i think.

Also i just now realized that most of my favourite mods are made by Nathan that is ALSO a Squad employee Oo

8 minutes ago, species said:

Please dont :D Nobody would wanna play "easy mode" and its already HC enough as it is i think. I bought the game for 5 or 6 of my friends as "donate" option. But none of em even managed to get Orbit........ Making the stock game harder would make things even worse i think

I am not suggesting ditching the current mode. I've played it initially and learned a lot from it. My stock experience then pushed me into RO.
I am not satying about RSS etc. the small Kerbin system will do. I am just talking about adding stuff like ullage or life support from RO to stock as an option.
Things like limited restarts or weaker SAS will not really require much effort to get implemented.

RO gets hard when you combine them all + add thins like remote tech, and RSS. Especially RSS increases difficulty as you really need to be precise with your launches as there is not much delta-v to spare usually.
But as long as there is RO mod I'm fine :)

8 minutes ago, species said:

Also i just now realized that most of my favourite mods are made by Nathan that is ALSO a Squad employee Oo

That's why I would like core RO implemented as option in KSP Stock - you can but you don't have to use it. Default setting will remain current stock KSP but KSP will open itself to more demanding players and it will be one less mod to install for many guys like me who bought KSP mainly to play RO.

6 hours ago, Carraux said:

Bobcat's Soviet Engine Pack is one of my favorite addons for RO. Why it is becoming depreciated? Is there noone to care about? It would be a shame if we loose this mod.

Well, I don't think it's being updated.

2 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

I am not suggesting ditching the current mode. I've played it initially and learned a lot from it. My stock experience then pushed me into RO.
I am not satying about RSS etc. the small Kerbin system will do. I am just talking about adding stuff like ullage or life support from RO to stock as an option.
Things like limited restarts or weaker SAS will not really require much effort to get implemented.

RO gets hard when you combine them all + add thins like remote tech, and RSS. Especially RSS increases difficulty as you really need to be precise with your launches as there is not much delta-v to spare usually.
But as long as there is RO mod I'm fine :)

That's why I would like core RO implemented as option in KSP Stock - you can but you don't have to use it. Default setting will remain current stock KSP but KSP will open itself to more demanding players and it will be one less mod to install for many guys like me who bought KSP mainly to play RO.

Honestly it's not such a bad idea:

- Stock KSP - Easy through Normal modes
- RO KSP - Hardcore mode

But RO is a lot of work.  Maybe a more 'sustainable' model for Squad would be to spin-off RO as a stand-alone game using their same KSP engine:

- Kerbal Space Program
- Kennedy Space Program!  (or whatever they call it, Human Space Program, whatever...)
- Kerbal Education (already a great idea, thank you!)

A third income stream for Squad would BE GREAT for us bottle rocketeers because it would ensure they can keep coding and we can keep rocketeering!

I for one would support Squad 100% if they chose to spin RO out as it's own stand-alone game, or even if it were just a paid 'official' addon that would work too...  :)

Edited by cytosine
Typo

33 minutes ago, cytosine said:

But RO is a lot of work.  Maybe a more 'sustainable' model for Squad would be to spin-off RO as a stand-alone game using their same KSP engine:

Or make RO official mod as it was with Asteroid Day. Then put some staff onto it as part of "paid" hours and voila - most of the work is already done. All they have to do is pay guys like @NathanKell for helping here or rather let hm spend 1 day a week on mods - which btw are also reason why people buy this game :)

Edited by przybysz86

Asteroid day and RO are two totally different things tho, Squad is still indie company and while official RO would be really awesome i still think its way out of picture. I think theyre doing the best thing possible right now, providing incredible game that is also and foremost a moding platform that can be added upon. All that while providing free updates and keeping really low price.

I think your suggestion would require either drastic increase in price or getting a "publisher"(?), i dont think any of that would be good.

(i also could be totally wrong tho, i know next to nothing about game design)

Edited by species

I don't know much about programming, but seeing as these mods can be developed, would it be that difficult to develop and release a stand-alone game that contains the core elements of KSP but is essentially their take on Realism Overhaul? It seems like this would not be very hard to develop, as they can use the plethora of mods as a general guideline. Putting a team on developing this, with NathanKell as its leader, could be a way to cater to the hardcore fans, as well as provide some extra revenue. I for one would gladly buy it, knowing they deserve it. I'd much rather have my money going to indie developers who want to make good games than to those money grubbing *stand-up guys* at EA.

I'm very much looking forward to the release of RO for 1.1. Take your time, NathanKell, I know it will be worth it. I'll use the time to double my RAM.

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast

48 minutes ago, species said:

Asteroid day and RO are two totally different things tho, Squad is still indie company and while official RO would be really awesome i still think its way out of picture. I think theyre doing the best thing possible right now, providing incredible game that is also and foremost a moding platform that can be added upon. All that while providing free updates and keeping really low price.

I think your suggestion would require either drastic increase in price or getting a "publisher"(?), i dont think any of that would be good.

(i also could be totally wrong tho, i know next to nothing about game design)

RO as a mod was published under open license that prevent Squad from taking profit from it.  All they can do is assigning some of their resources to help keep it compatible with future versions of KSP.
Basically what I am saying is that they should assign officially some man-hours to Nathan to work on RO. I know he will do it anyway but wouldn't he feel great if he get paid for the work instead of using his free time?
Also those assignments are only required after KSP update that can render RO incompatible.

Why RO of all the mods? Because it pushes the envelope.  With little effort it transforms KSP from a nice toy to an educational sandbox tool.

18 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

Why not make RO as "hardcore" mode for KSP stock? I mean not everything but mechanism like ullage, limited restarts, restricted SAS, TAC life support, Remote Tech, Scan Sat can easily be added and would be appreciated.
Rest like RSS, RP-0,or various part packs (FASA, etc) can be then added as mods but RO core would be there :)

One thing to consider is that RO is quite a bit less stable and more memory-intensive than stock KSP.  That's fine for a mod, but the time it would take for the KSP devs to make RO stable and stock I think would be better spent on the base game, which is what the majority of people only ever play.

Ok I've been trying to get a rocket into launch for about 3 days now and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop the interstage fairing from wobbling. I've made sure the interstage fairing upper floating node is attached to the thrust plate centre node. I've made sure my fairing is locked. I've enabled auto strut. I've added 5000x struts manually between the two but it always loveing wobbles.No matter how I attach things I end up with this about 3 seconds after launch. I'm running 1.0.5 with all the standard mods.

I've also tried changing the root node to the centre of the rocket, I've tried using mechjeb and stability assist, nothing works.

Please help, I really want to play RO but the wobbling is doing my head in.

I've attached my rocket if anyone could please have a look at it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428435/orbit.craft

BGjjNmc.png