[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Is there a way other than OpenGL to shrink the RAM usage?

I've been trying to run Realism Overhaul for ages now, but my RAM usage always jumps to 2.2GB... (This is on a laptop, my CPU once reached 72°C while running RO...)

Plus, I always leave 4GB of RAM for KSP. From 6GB...

I can't wait for the new update! Do you have a rough estimate on how long it will take?:)

While I don't work on the team I estimate with all the Cfgs and mods to update atleast 3-6 WEEKS

installation of the 1.0 dev version is like usual? just merge the gamedata and ships folder witht the ones in the KSP folder? I'm not quite sure and ifgured I'd better ask.

Just wondering how update the spreadsheet is? I was looking at the work tracking and a little confused. What does N/A mean? Obviously, not applicable but I've been closely following RSS and that seems to be being worked on. I've not been told directly but I understand that it's now in the pre-release / bug fixing phase? Will the spreadsheet get updated to confirm this or will it just go from N/A to Complete?

Also, how did you guys come up with the RL stats for parts? Obviously from RL sites but take engines for example. Is there a list of what RL engine the game engines are designed on? What if they're not actually designed from a RL engine? Do you just pick a part and say, "right, we'll turn this one into the RL XYZ-Maxi engine".

I was taking a look at the stock parts which haven't been converted / patched / configged yet. The Big-S Delta Wing for example. I likened it to the Space Shuttle Orbiter Wing. While there's a lot of tech spec on the Space Shuttle Orbiter, Wikipedia, ESA, NASA, Braeunig, I couldn't for the life of me find much about the wing itself and as such, the mass I have no idea about. In this case, how would you go about it? An arbitrary educated guess?

I know none of this is really helping, but I'm interested in the process used to do this stuff and possibly in the future I can help out.

Also, linked to the "process", while there is information on the API syntax and editing config files etc - I believe what would be incredibly useful for us morons / non-ksp literate people, would be 2 or 3 image-plentiful / video guides of creating a patch config file.

For example

Today we're going to create the RO config patch file to convert Big-S Delta Wing to RO standards.

PIC PIC PIC

First we need to find out RL stats which we can by google, nasa, x, y, z.

PIC

Then we create the cfg file

PIC

We start of with @part[codeystuff] !needs[xyz]. This calls ABC file and checks we have DEF file. blah blah.

PIC PIC

You can see here that max temperature on the original is 4000c whereas in RL it has a max of 2178c

PIC

We alter this by adding @part[Deltawing] !maxtemp = 2178

PIC

Etc etc.

Of course, that would be a chunk out of someones time but I think it would really help those on the edge of understanding, thus save time in the future.

Edited by Pronoes

I've got an issue: everytime i start the game, when it gets to the modulemanager part, it tells me it found 4 errors in relation to RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Tantares, then closes. anybody knows what it is?

output_log

If you look at the end of that file you'll see that you're running out of memory. Install Active Texture Manager and/or use the "-force-opengl" parameter and/or remove mods or parts of mods to reduce RAM usage. (Or if you're crazy like I am, install linux and run KSP in 64-bit mode.)

thing is, i've got active texture managemant(the agressive version) already installed. maybe it would help if i had less than 50 mods installed? anyway, i heard of the opengl thingy, ut i neither know what opengl is(like seriously, i don't), nor how to use that parameter.

EDIT: it's definitely the ram. took another 6 mods out, now it almost gets to the starting screen.

EDIT: removed fasa and a few other mods, now it makes my fans spin quite a lot, but at least it doesn't crash instantly.

EDIT: RO apparently breaks KSPIE's thermal turbojets. they are dislpayed running in the SPH, and the attatchment nodes vanish if i attempt attaching them. I've hade that issue before with tweakscale and parts for some reason existing twice, so I'm going to check that now.

EDIT: checked it, couldn't find it twice.

EDIT: OK, apparently i can attach the trubojet, i just can't attach it to reactors and generators.

EDIT: i have no idea how to find out about the tonnage limit of avionics units. the tooltip doesn't tell.

Edited by blub01

My KSP is freezing when it loads, no crash, but in the debug menu I get the line"[Error]: Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'ThermalLink'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes." a ton of times, probably around a hundred or so. I'm also getting "[Exception]: MissingFieldException: Field 'SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.tempGaugeMin' not found."

I think these are both related to the RO release, but I'm not sure. If this helps, and I hope it does, great. If not, is there somewhere else I should post this?

Thanks

Edit: Crashed this time. Not sure yet how to post the output log.

Edited by SavingPilotRyan

My KSP is freezing when it loads, no crash, but in the debug menu I get the line"[Error]: Serialization depth limit exceeded at 'ThermalLink'. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes." a ton of times, probably around a hundred or so. I'm also getting "[Exception]: MissingFieldException: Field 'SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.tempGaugeMin' not found."

I think these are both related to the RO release, but I'm not sure. If this helps, and I hope it does, great. If not, is there somewhere else I should post this?

Thanks

Edit: Crashed this time. Not sure yet how to post the output log.

Oh wait, I've seen that error! It happened when I had installed solver engines separately. Remove solver engines and use the one included with RealismOverhaul. (It's not supposed to be that way, but for now it fixed the problem for me. Also make sure you don't have any other RealFuels engine configs installed, as that can cause bizarre lockups during loading as well. If you installed RF via CKAN, remove it and install by hand w/ no engine configs. RO will provide the configs itself.)

I removed the RF stock configs as I thought that might have been the problem, do you think that's enough or should I just do a full RF reinstall?

I'll try the solver engines work around and see if that fixes it.

Edit: I checked CKAN again (as I always do before launching KSP) and there was a Solver Engines update. It's launching now, so I assume it's the right version of solver engines.

Edited by SavingPilotRyan

Will this be updated for 1.0?

It's in pre-release right now. Works pretty well and I haven't encountered any major glitches. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just means I haven't hit 'em yet. :)

Get the dev version of RSS here https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2u20uo9ro2ri6/RSSv10PRE.zip?dl=0 (Kopernicus is included in the package) and the textures for it here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases (8k version works fine at least for me running the game in opengl). Then get the dev version of RO here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/archive/KSP10.zip (be sure to install all the required and updated for 1.0.2 mods, you can find them in the first page of this thread) and you're good to go!

Get the dev version of RSS here https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2u20uo9ro2ri6/RSSv10PRE.zip?dl=0 (Kopernicus is included in the package) and the textures for it here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases (8k version works fine at least for me running the game in opengl). Then get the dev version of RO here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/archive/KSP10.zip (be sure to install all the required and updated for 1.0.2 mods, you can find them in the first page of this thread) and you're good to go!

Thanks so much! Will test it out now.

okay, so I've heard that you can make the game use less ram by doing something with opengl commands, but i have no idea how. can anybody explain that to me?

Make a shortcut to KSP.exe, edit it, and add -force-opengl to the path after KSP.exe.

okay, so I've heard that you can make the game use less ram by doing something with opengl commands, but i have no idea how. can anybody explain that to me?

As @Red Iron Crown said. It's important to remember that this can lead to some performance loss and it doesn't always work. I notice very little difference between OpenGL and DX11 when sing my PC> However, on my laptop it uses about 700mb less RAM.

As @Red Iron Crown said. It's important to remember that this can lead to some performance loss and it doesn't always work. I notice very little difference between OpenGL and DX11 when sing my PC> However, on my laptop it uses about 700mb less RAM.

I found a thread about using DX11 to reduce ram usage, and that it is better than opengl, but causes some stability issues. anyway, i finally managed to finish my design for a manned blimp on Venus, only issue right now is that Venus atmosphere starts at 50km currently, so i can't really use it(it's a KSP version of the HAVOC design of NASA).

Having trouble on loading, it gets stuck and KSP has to be force quit. Clean install, pre RSS release with the pre RO release only.

Debug is spammed by: [Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Stuck on Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/mk1-2CommandPod/Mark1-2Pod

Memory at around 440 mb

ModuleRCSFX is the one causing issues. v4.1 from CKAN/Github/RO pre release all cause the same issue. KSP loads for me when it's uninstalled with the rest of RO working.

If you're using Steam, right-click on Kerbal Space Program and select Properties. In the window that pops up, click the Set Launch Options button and enter the text:

-force-opengl

into the box that pops up.