[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

RealFuels simulates boil-off of cryo fuels and oxidizers, which can make using them for long duration missions difficult at best. If you find yourself out of fuel or oxidizer after a long time warp, like transferring to Mars, this may be the reason why!

A weird thing is happening. Whenever I launch a LH2 fueled rocket into space (trying to build a mars transfer vehicle) the fuel leaks out. What's going on?

The LH2 is boiling off. No container exists that can keep LH2 contained indefinitely, which is why it is rarely used for long term missions. Look into storable hypergolics for long term missions, they'll have lower Isp but will not boil off.

Edit: Ninja'd.

I'm having a problem with the FASA Fairing configurations and parts which are added by RO (ref :RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/FASA/RO_FASA_New_Fairings.cfg). My problem is that none of the fairings added or modified by this cfg file show up in my parts list in the VAB. I don't know if this issue has been addressed before (I saw a fleeting referenced to something that sounded similar on this thread, but it didn't really take me anywhere...)

Is this a known issue? My KSP.log file shows ModuleManager is applying the patches to create the parts, they're just not showing up. I'm playing in SandBox mode and do not use RP-0, so it is not a tech tree availability issue.

Anyway - just curious if I'm a unique snowflake here or if there's a fix for this.

Cheers!

--edit--

It appears as though the NoseCones are properly reproducing into the parts list....just not the NoseConeHalfs or the FairingWallHalfs...

So I answered my own question - all of the parts I was 'missing' were removed from the FASA ModPack at 5.3 release...it appears this coincides with the implementation of Procedural Fairings into the baseplates...anyway, they left the models in but removed the cfg files, which is why I was really confused. So, if anyone cares, if you go back and download v5.22, it has the missing cfg files and you can add them in. This way, RO will autocreate a whole bunch of fancy fairings for all of your FASA needs.

I seem to be having issues with Tantares and TantaresLV compatibility. All Tantares engines say, "Non RO", and require liquid fuel and oxidizer. Is this just a feature of the mod?

How do I stop vapour getting in the feedlines?

Stuff tends to float around in freefall. Either accelerate with your RCS for a few seconds, which should settle the fuel; or, if you only need to start the engine once, install sepratrons and fire them before staging the main engine.

And if it fails, try reinstalling RealFuels and Solverengines :)

Had that problem also (vapor in feedlines). Looks like RCS is too weak to circumnavigate this issue, but a pair of sepatrons will do the trick.

Gotta say I'm surprised how radically Realism Overhaul alters KSP. In stock KSP, it doesn't take much effort for me to send well equipped vessels to other planets. But in Realism Overhaul, I barely manage to reach the edge of space with an unmanned rocket, and that rocket is usually already in pieces when reaching space ... ! The scale of Earth and the rather agressive sounds of the various rockets makes this an impressive mod/overhaul, but it'll take some time for me to have enough confidence in my flying skills to actually send a live Kerbal to space ... !

Why is the Atlas Agena craft broken?

This won't help you, but... from the look of it, it is lacking it's fairing; it seems the required parts have changed names or are no longer in FASA (I suspect the latter, as I can't find a fairing piece that would fit the Agena).

- - - Updated - - -

Which mod is responsible for resource consumption in the background, btw?

A) I find that my Centaur arrives at Mars with hydrogen left in the tank after a ~170 day voyage.

B) The FASA Gemini relies on a LOX->O2 device in it's service module, which doesn't work in the background.

This won't help you, but... from the look of it, it is lacking it's fairing; it seems the required parts have changed names or are no longer in FASA (I suspect the latter, as I can't find a fairing piece that would fit the Agena).

- - - Updated - - -

Which mod is responsible for resource consumption in the background, btw?

A) I find that my Centaur arrives at Mars with hydrogen left in the tank after a ~170 day voyage.

B) The FASA Gemini relies on a LOX->O2 device in it's service module, which doesn't work in the background.

1. Nail on head, yeah. FASA has changed/dropped some parts, so the Atlas Agena .craft needs to be rebuild, it is on my to-do list.

A. Good for you! But seriously, boil-off is tricky business the way KSP is built right now. We should be able to get more accurate and precise boil-off with KSP 1.0.5 after it gets some thermal tune-ups.

B. I believe that is a bug/issue in the behaviour of TACLS, which makes me sad. I really like TACLS, but I've discovered some strange bugs in it recently. I might have to review others mods for alternative life support... support, or start digging for bugs in somebody else's code in a language I don't speak. As you can see, neither is very appealing. If anybody has any suggestions or solutions, KSP RO always has open ears. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to be having issues with Tantares and TantaresLV compatibility. All Tantares engines say, "Non RO", and require liquid fuel and oxidizer. Is this just a feature of the mod?

I am not sure about the past state of Tantares support in RO, but I believe our configs had gotten out of date. However, I have seen somebody very hard at work to bring that back up to date (Niemand303). I haven't had time to test out the new configs myself, but if you download the bleeding edge off of Github (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul) with 'Download ZIP', you can be among the first!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having a bit of trouble while reinstalling RSS/RO, the load just stops while loading the stock MK1-2 command pod and debug toolbar shows a long stack of NREs. Anyhelp?

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/bugrss_zps7rsses2c.png

Not sure if you got an answer or solution yet, but I would suggest removing all but the newest version of ModuleManager.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering, in the current "boil off" system, liquid cryogenic fuels just "disappear" right? Is it possible to change that system so that rather then simply disappearing, the liquid fuel instead changes into it's gaseous version? Then we could create freezers using systems similar to the resource generators in TACLS to convert the gas back into liquid. Presumably a real Mars mission that relied on cryogenic fuels would resolve the boil off problem with freezers and being able to convert "boiled off" gases back to liquid would be a way we could represent that in game. Plus having the boil off system create cases would allow us to create systems such as the UA proposed Integrated Fuel System.

My hope, and probably the hope of a many people is to have such a system. As KSP stands, that would require a substantial amount of change to RealFuels or the creation of another mod to handle that. However, in future version of KSP we will hopefully be able to implement such a system more easily.

1. Nail on head, yeah. FASA has changed/dropped some parts, so the Atlas Agena .craft needs to be rebuild, it is on my to-do list.

So I answered my own question - all of the parts I was 'missing' were removed from the FASA ModPack at 5.3 release...it appears this coincides with the implementation of Procedural Fairings into the baseplates...anyway, they left the models in but removed the cfg files, which is why I was really confused. So, if anyone cares, if you go back and download v5.22, it has the missing cfg files and you can add them in. This way, RO will autocreate a whole bunch of fancy fairings for all of your FASA needs.

See my quoted quote - FASA removed the fairing cfg files between v5.22 and v5.3. You can add them back in as I reference above. This will allow all of the stock RO FASA Craft to properly load. It's a bit hacky since fizzrank removed the cfg files for a reason, but if part count bloat isn't an issue for you, then I don't see any reason not to add them back in. Perhaps the RO FASA patch could simply include the cfg files so you don't have to mess with the FASA install.

Avast!

I am loving KSP RO, but I am running into problems on my Mars Mission. The liquid boiloff rates are just too high, no matter what I do all of the fuel boils off within 100 days. Radiators, sunshields, pointing the craft at the sun, cryogenic and ballon-cryo tank. The planned misson to Mars using NASA's former MTV Copernicus (Shown in this Stanford study) uses ~230t Liquid Hydrogen tanks with NTR rockets, just as my testing article does. The Misson at its shortest would last about 545 days which means that in Realism Overhaul's current state, it is highly difficult (if not impossible) to use cryogenic fuels for long term missions. This is highly unfortunate, as in real life cryogenic fuels present an excellent option for manned solar system exploration.

Tl;Dr

The boiloff rate for liquid hydrogen (and possibly Lox) is highly exaggerated, with no present way to slow boiloff.

(Extra Sauce: http://imgur.com/a/Ph2lJ )

(Real life comparison for standard: http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/gerrard2/docs/20120009207.pdf )

*in stanford study, source mainly near page 11*

We hope to be able to support such missions with the future improvements to the stock KSP thermal system. Imagine a container of liquid nitrogen. As the nitrogen boils off, it makes the container and remaining liquid cooler because it absorbs energy in order to vapourize (heat of vapourization) Currently, KSP doesn't allow us to factor this into the thermal system when you are at time warp.

Cross your fingers for such a feature in the coming months :)

Got a question regarding satellite contracts, as i never really cared much for those and simply went for a lower orbit and then adjust up. How does one launch into a speciffic longitude of ascending node?

I have another question. Is there a difference in ablator 'performance'? When using the heat shield part the ablator is used up only a little, but 11,5km/s re entry is no problem. When using the ablator of mk1 pod it looks quite different. it gets far to hot in 75km height and explodes. So is the ablator of the heat sheld part absorbing heat better or is it the heat shield buffering the heat from the pod?

Thanks, will give it a go. Never got the issue before so IDK. It still happened when I made my second stage fire as soon as the first one is jettisoned.

That's because the inertia of the fuel sloshed it forward at engine cutoff. Same effect seen in Apollo 13, albeit exaggerated, when the astronauts were slammed forward at staging during launch.

I have been wanting to use KWRocketry with RO. I installed both via CKAN, but the nodes on the engines do not seem to be in the correct locations. Is this a known issue? Is it an RO thing or a KWRocketry thing?

TL;DR: FASA changed, dropped some parts that were part of the *.craft

I updated the A-A craft to no longer use those parts. As has also been mentioned, those parts could also be added back by adding the removed configs or making changes to RO, but what I did here was quicker and just as functional for the craft.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/Ships/VAB/FASA%20Atlas%20Agena.craft

The updated craft will be part of the next RO official release (which is what ends up on CKAN, KSP Forums, etc.) but for now you can get a copy from our Github if you like.

Thanks a lot for bringing the broken .craft to my attention :)

In my recent lunar flyby mission, I had tried to do a standard circumlunar free-return trajectory but things didn't work out and I'm not really sure why. I started with a circular earth orbit of 160km at 28.4 inclination. I then did a TLI burn which cost something like 3300dV (writting this from memory). The trajectory of the burn had me pass around the moon in the opposite direction from the Moon's orbit of the Earth, just like it's supposed to. My perilune was around 50km above the back side of the moon. But when I came around and returned to the Earth's SOI, I was on an escape trajectory. I had to spend another 1200dV to slow down to return to Earth. Any ideas what went wrong?

In my recent lunar flyby mission, I had tried to do a standard circumlunar free-return trajectory but things didn't work out and I'm not really sure why. I started with a circular earth orbit of 160km at 28.4 inclination. I then did a TLI burn which cost something like 3300dV (writting this from memory). The trajectory of the burn had me pass around the moon in the opposite direction from the Moon's orbit of the Earth, just like it's supposed to. My perilune was around 50km above the back side of the moon. But when I came around and returned to the Earth's SOI, I was on an escape trajectory. I had to spend another 1200dV to slow down to return to Earth. Any ideas what went wrong?
Was your lunar escape retrograde or radial to Earth? The more retrograde (the Moon's Retrograde as it orbits Earth) your lunar escape is the lower your perigee will be. A lot of times if getting down that low to the Moon the escape turns radial or normal. Edited by BevoLJ

Quick question. In CKAN many of the recommended mods are listed not being compatible with 1.0.4. Are they actually not compatible, or is this just an issue of build numbers not getting updated properly?

EDIT: Awesome. Something in the list of recommended mods is crashing my game :/

Edited by PanzerAce