[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

@przybysz86, @corbett when all the required mods are updated (approximately 20 mods, 8 already updated) and RO itself is updated (SoonTM).

On a more serious note, just wait. KSP 1.1 was released 11 hours ago and not every modder has time to update his/her mods. Also, remember that Nathanael is part of the dev team and his modding time is currently limited.

when its donetm?

I mean do you really think everyone involved is holding back on you so you don't get it as soon as they are able/willing to get it done?

Thanks to everyone working on it would be more in place or an encouraging "Really looking forward to try your awesome mod in 1.1" don't you think?

Greetings

Ben

10 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@przybysz86, @corbett when all the required mods are updated (approximately 20 mods, 8 already updated) and RO itself is updated (SoonTM).

On a more serious note, just wait. KSP 1.1 was released 11 hours ago and not every modder has time to update his/her mods. Also, remember that Nathanael is part of the dev team and his modding time is currently limited.

Don't get me wrong - I fully appreciate your work and I understand you do it as part of your free time.
I do not expect this to happen over a day or so - just curious if you already have some time horizon :)

As for now: soon tm  :)

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Thanks for reply!

I found a small mistake in the RO_RSB_PSLV config file.

The PSLV PSOM (XL) part (line 932) is lacking the following parameter:

"!RESOURCE,*{}"

Because of that, that srb in game has the solid fuel resource as well as HTPB. Using that line that i copied from the non-XL PSLV Booster, the solid fuel disappears and the part performs as it should.

Also, there is a typo in the PSLV interstage adapter title (lines 341 and 343). It says PLSV instead of PSLV. 

guys, i'm scared - i've been following spaceX closely for the past year and i told myself that when 1.1 comes out i would force myself to use RO/RSS to really learn (as best a game can teach) what it takes to get this stuff off the ground - i gotta say i'm a lot nervous, but also excited, i'm excited that there is something like this collection of mods that lets me catch a glimpse into real rocket science - and for that i'd like to sincerely thank everyone who has touched these projects - thank you

9 minutes ago, skbernard said:

guys, i'm scared - i've been following spaceX closely for the past year and i told myself that when 1.1 comes out i would force myself to use RO/RSS to really learn (as best a game can teach) what it takes to get this stuff off the ground - i gotta say i'm a lot nervous, but also excited, i'm excited that there is something like this collection of mods that lets me catch a glimpse into real rocket science - and for that i'd like to sincerely thank everyone who has touched these projects - thank you

The RO Wiki helped me *greatly* when transitioning from stock (heavily modded) KSP over to RO.  There's a lot to 'unlearn', but once you get the basics of real rocketry it becomes addictive.  Now I can't even fathom going back to stock.

Good luck in your quest!

13 minutes ago, skbernard said:

Me too, I'm just waiting de release of RO and RSS to start a game in the career mode. 

Ah, don't forget of Deadly Reentry.

2 minutes ago, cytosine said:

The RO Wiki helped me *greatly* when transitioning from stock (heavily modded) KSP over to RO.  There's a lot to 'unlearn', but once you get the basics of real rocketry it becomes addictive.  Now I can't even fathom going back to stock.

Good luck in your quest!

oh yeah, i plan to go slow with lots and lots of reading and kerbal losses

I think a similar problem was already raised, but couldn't find it. 

I'm playing RP-0, and got my first orbital reentry. The problem is, apparently the atmosphere is generating heat, but not aerodynamic drag. As you can imagine, this is not a nice combination. My Mk1 capsule explodes before the ablator runs out, no matter what periapsis I aim for (tried several altitudes from 90-50km). I believe no drag is occurring because my speed is not reduced at all, my apoapsis remains the same (145-160km) during the whole process.

In an earlier craft I tried a reentry of a probe using heat shields, and also failed, but as it was coming from high orbit, I thought that the heat shield simply did not have good enough specs for this reentry. Much earlier (possibly before some update, as I've been going for a couple of months in this career), I managed to reenter a similar small probe from LEO even without heat shields, using high drag wing brakes.

Is there any reported issue with FAR or Deadly Reentry? Maybe I should try a fresh install? My current install is from CKAN, and I'm on linux x64.

Edited by leudaimon

30 minutes ago, leudaimon said:

I'm playing RP-0, and got my first orbital reentry. The problem is, apparently the atmosphere is generating heat, but not aerodynamic drag. As you can imagine, this is not a nice combination. My Mk1 capsule explodes before the ablator runs out, no matter what periapsis I aim for (tried several altitudes from 90-50km). I believe no drag is occurring because my speed is not reduced at all, my apoapsis remains the same (145-160km) during the whole process.

In an earlier craft I tried a reentry of a probe using heat shields, and also failed, but as it was coming from high orbit, I thought that the heat shield simply did not have good enough specs for this reentry. Much earlier (possibly before some update, as I've been going for a couple of months in this career), I managed to reenter a similar small probe from LEO even without heat shields, using high drag wing brakes.

Is there any reported issue with FAR or Deadly Reentry? Maybe I should try a fresh install? My current install is from CKAN, and I'm on linux x64.

This happens when CKAN does not install FAR and related mods correctly. Trying a new install with everything installed manually and it should work.

5 minutes ago, Nich said:

what is the difference between RSS, RO, and RP-0?

RSS (Real Solar System) is just a mod that replaces the planets with their real-life counterparts.  RO (Realism Overhaul) is a collection of mods (one of which is RSS) which makes everything more realistic (Real fuels, life support, realistic engines, non-instant build time).  RP-0 is the campaign mode for RO, and remaps the tech tree and prices.  Someone feel free to correct me on that, but that's been my understanding.

7 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

RSS (Real Solar System) is just a mod that replaces the planets with their real-life counterparts.  RO (Realism Overhaul) is a collection of mods (one of which is RSS) which makes everything more realistic (Real fuels, life support, realistic engines, non-instant build time).  RP-0 is the campaign mode for RO, and remaps the tech tree and prices.  Someone feel free to correct me on that, but that's been my understanding.

that is correct :)

RSS can be installed on stock KSP and will just replace Kerbal planetary system with bigger (real size) solar system
Not sure if RP0 works stand-alone or if it requires RO. Most likely it do need it.

Edited by przybysz86

Looking forward very much to playing RP-0 on 1.1, I have a hope that RVE will be out for 1.1 about the same time so I will be able to play with all the nicest textures.

Thanks for making this mod, it has redefined KSP for me.

17 hours ago, leudaimon said:

Bear in mind that in the absence of drag your speed should actually be increasing, due to gravity.

So, if you're seeing no change in speed, then your deceleration due to drag is actually the same magnitude as your acceleration due to gravity.

If you search the Web you'll find stuff about reentry gradients.  Too shallow and you create heat slowly but more in total, too steep and you create less heat in total but quicker than you can radiate it away.  You essentially want the steepest gradient you can cope with (total heat lower, rate of heat generation higher, and g-forces higher too).  [Myth #9 here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/False-KSP-Lessons ]

Edited by MatBailie
Added link

17 hours ago, leudaimon said:

Many people don't realize that real-world reentries are much steeper than you'd expect. They're also really hard; it's not like in stock KSP where you point your craft into the atmosphere and let it go down on its own.

The atmosphere is not really going to slow you down above 70 km; it's just going to heat you up over time until you melt. If you look at the lunar-rated Apollo reentries, they aimed for a Pe around 40 km (some even lower). They go in very steeply and get slowed down at several gees. But since g-forces cannot be too high for the crew to survive, after the initial slow-down the capsule must go up again before it goes too deep. That's done by aerodynamic properties (because RCS won't cut it with the forces involved): capsules have an off-set center of mass (in KSP/RO, this is toggled by "Descent Mode" in the capsule's context menu). Rotation along the z axis shifts the CoM and thus changes the angle of attack, and subsequently aerodynamic lift changes the descent angle. So once the g-forces reach a tolerable maximum (around 60 km or so in the initial descent), the capsule rotates such that it starts going up again -- but not too far, because you also don't want to slip out of the atmosphere again! In KSP/RSS/RO, you generally want to keep it in between 60 and 80 km until you are slow enough for final descent. Once you're above 80 km, aerodynamic pressure will not be sufficient to steer you back down no matter how you rotate, and you bounce off the atmosphere for another orbit which may be fatal if you have a life support mod enabled and limited resources in the capsule (which will be out of its service module by then).

So in short: aim for a low periapsis, switch capsule in Descent Mode before hitting the atmosphere and rotate to a neutral-ish position, wait until you see your g-forces raise to 3-4g or so, rotate capsule such that it goes up again, once you are nearing 70 km steer down again so you stay below 75 km or so. Continue to control your descent path to keep g-forces on a healthy level. Once you're slow enough, just let it fall down.

I recommend quicksaving and practicing until you got the hang of it.

57 minutes ago, John FX said:

Looking forward very much to playing RP-0 on 1.1, I have a hope that RVE will be out for 1.1 about the same time so I will be able to play with all the nicest textures.

Thanks for making this mod, it has redefined KSP for me.

For me it's even worse - after trying RO+RSS+RP0 I no longer enjoy playing stock KSP as much.
As someone said comparing stock and RO:
-Stock KSP - why isn't there already manned base on Mars?
-RO+RSS+RP0 - how the hell they put that Sputnik on the orbit?

RO Team: if you need help testing, etc. I can help next week. I have rudimentary understanding of cfg files - I did some simple debugging and fixing of inter-mod compatibility in the past for my own use.

@MatBailie and @Sput42 Thank you for the advice!

My install was actually broken (yes, speed was increasing slowly during reentry - as the orbit was almost circular the increase was very small). I reinstalled everything, and now my reentry is working properly.

Some of this advice will be useful anyway, as my astronaut died because of the g-forces during reentry (which I thought strange, given it happened at 5g, and during launch I got to 7g), even though the capsule survived just fine. I'll have to tinker with this to get a proper reentry.

Can't wait for this all to be ready for 1.1!  I downloaded it, landed on the Moon (oh wait, it's Mun), said "well that was too easy" and then fired up my 1.0.5 RO install.  Back to the "real" world...