[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Complaints about unsurvivable reentry in 5...4...3...2...

(I guess I'm going to have my work cut out for me...)

This should only affect things that aren't explicitly configured for temperature, as all heat shields and engines are (or should be).

What does the second to last change do exactly? Will this affect us in a negative or positive way?

Positive in that many parts, like RCS thrusters weren't having their mass applied to the vehicle, so now in recreating real missions you can get accurate vehicle mass.

Negative in that now your rockets will weigh a smidgen more than they did before. Should overall have no impact, for the most part if your rocket could get to space, it probably still will.

Hi, I'm having a problem with KSP crashing on me, I'm not 100% sure what is causing it, it seems like it crashes whenever loading a previous ship in the VAB, wether it be from a save or returning to VAB from a test launch. Here is my output log, is there a mod that is incompatible or did I install something incorrectly? https://www./?e644zsm704171y3

Many thanks for the new update, y'all. I'd like to try and contribute this awesomeness, soon. Gotta deal with some RL crap, and then clear enough space off my dinosaur's HDD to fit another "clean" KSP install, and then I'll pick up something to start fixing. Any suggestions on where to start? Preferably something a bit on the small side, but is there any mod in particular that should have a higher priority?

Many thanks for the new update, y'all. I'd like to try and contribute this awesomeness, soon. Gotta deal with some RL crap, and then clear enough space off my dinosaur's HDD to fit another "clean" KSP install, and then I'll pick up something to start fixing. Any suggestions on where to start? Preferably something a bit on the small side, but is there any mod in particular that should have a higher priority?

BDynamics from bahamutod is pretty small, and has a config file that's probably mostly complete. You could start there, or just pick your favourite that's relatively small. Easy way to tell is go to the rework folder and find a mod that has only one or two config files, and the config file doesn't have all that many entries.

Hi, I'm having a problem with KSP crashing on me, I'm not 100% sure what is causing it, it seems like it crashes whenever loading a previous ship in the VAB, wether it be from a save or returning to VAB from a test launch. Here is my output log, is there a mod that is incompatible or did I install something incorrectly? https://www./?e644zsm704171y3

Concur with NathanKell, don't see anything immediately that stands out as 'wrong'. What mods do you have installed?

So I want to work on the Klockheed SSME's but I looked through the .cfg's and am totally lost. Where should I start? The engines work but are quite unstable.

Hop into the IRC channel, we can give more real-time help to get you started (the address is in the OP, I've found HexChat to be a good IRC client). But in general, you want to start by figuring out what engine you want it to represent, then compare the part.cfg in the actual mod to the config file in Realism Overhaul. For an example, the Shuttle OMS stats can be found here (some googling required):

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/ome.htm

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Orbital_Maneuvering_System

Comparing that to the Klockheed Martin SSE configs, it looks like all the basic stats match already (RedAV8R modified the oms part to match). Now we launch up the game and see if everything works for that engine the way it's supposed to.

In general, I actually go in-game, try out every engine in the pack (attach it, check to see if it's configured correctly, see if the size is right (you can use Procedural Parts to measure sizes very very easily), nodes are right, etc) Then make a list of every part in the pack that either has something wrong with it, or is labelled non-RO.

Once you modify a config file, save it, then go to the space center and hit alt+f11. This brings up the Module Manager reload, and you can reload all the parts with their config files. Definitely want to do this in a sandbox save as it'll screw up your tech tree.

Then fix more things! and repeat until you've got some stuff you're happy with, then submit it to us and we'll make it part of Realism Overhaul proper!

Yay, the Near Future Propulsion Pack now works!

I guess it is time to try to power all those fancy technologies *and start a new Science career in the process* :D

If you wait juuust a little bit, we're actively working on the Realism Career mode (yes with contracts and everything!) See RP-0 links in the OP.

I'd like to draw your attention to this: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/223187-japanese-launch-vehicles-pack-v0-30

Its a Japanese rocket pack, fairly high quality, though unbalanced in stock version, also pretty detailed regarding functionality. I'd love to see it in RO, but seeing as it consists mostly of solid rockets, I'm not the best qualified person for that (I'm not coming anywhere near Unity again). The parts are modular, which is also a nice thing. I believe it'd be great to have that configured for RO, but it will involve a lot of thrust curve fitting.

The guy also made a HTV: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/223691-htv-h-ii-transfer-vehicle-kounotori-pack

Seems to be a fairly solid model.

While that doesn't appear to be an explicit out-of-memory crash, it's worth trying to lower your memory usage since that usually increases stability.

How can I lower the memory usage? I am using the 2048x2048 pack because everything else crashes

Concur with NathanKell, don't see anything immediately that stands out as 'wrong'. What mods do you have installed?

Here is a screenshot of my GameData folder, I don't remember every mod I have installed, I do know it was almost all the ones that are compatible with RO

WngsoZs.jpg?1

You have multiple ModuleManagers. That's bad, keep only the most up-to-date.

As for lowering memory, just because RO supports a mod doesn't mean you have to have it. :) Try with, like, *half* those part packs. See if KSP is more stable.

As an addendum: you may want to use Windows Explorer's search function to look for any ModuleManager DLL which got tucked away inside a mod's folder. You can also pick-and-choose which parts to delete from most packs, so if you only want a few from a given pack, you only need to keep those few parts.

But yes: big thing is probably too many part packs, each of which comes with its own set of memory-hogging textures.

Release 7 seems to cause overheating and exploding for large procedural SRBs. Ticket filed at https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/50 .

Would be great if we could get a fix! Thanks :kiss:

Working a more permanent fix, should be posted in a few minutes (Thanks NathanKell!)

Edited by Felger

7.0.0b Release:

*Patch for temperature limit overhaul. (Many thanks to 602p/Coffeeman for pointing it out!)

*Resized Barometer

*Smoothed all TweakScale Scales.

New link is in the OP, go download it and find more bugs!

You have multiple ModuleManagers. That's bad, keep only the most up-to-date.

As for lowering memory, just because RO supports a mod doesn't mean you have to have it. :) Try with, like, *half* those part packs. See if KSP is more stable.

I removed the old ModuleManagers and took out the russian engines mod and it lasted for a half an hour before crashing on me, good enough in my book :)

BDynamics from bahamutod is pretty small, and has a config file that's probably mostly complete. You could start there, or just pick your favourite that's relatively small. Easy way to tell is go to the rework folder and find a mod that has only one or two config files, and the config file doesn't have all that many entries.

Alrighty. I'll have a look. If no one else has jumped on it in a few days when I'm ready, I'll see about gittin'r'dun. Maybe I'll even learn a thing or two in the process.