[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Interestingly enough, the answer to both of these questions is "It's included in the Realism Overhaul zip file", CKAN can install them separately, but all you need to do is go to our releases page (linked in the OP) and download the latest release.

Note for RealPlume, you'll need to install SmokeScreen along side Realism Overhaul.

Ah, that explains the graphics glitches I was getting with some rocket engines. Thanks! I'm really surprised how well this mod has been running! You guys did an amazing job with this mod! I had no problems whatsoever setting up and installing this mod, besides Smoke Screen.

I have one quick question gameplay question though. I was able to get Jeb into orbit around the Moon for the first time today. However when he returned, even though his mk 1 capsule exceeded DRE's G force limits for re-entry. (I have DRE set to its stock settings on medium) Should I adjust my re-entry technique or should I adjust the DRE settings so that G forces are not as deadly. When I returned Jeb from the Moon, I just aimed for a 40km periapsis and pointed straight retrograde like I always do. I'm guessing I was a bit shallow.

@Felger,

ckan works fine, I just wanted to do a manual to check various files against some things I am testing in 'non' ckan ksp instal's... Some of my installs are quick test beds and I dont typically 'ckan' those..

found it (yes, it is well hidden).

Also, how is the chaka stuff coming along. That is my next set of files to be working on, with????

many thanks for reply, mod and help...

Ah, that explains the graphics glitches I was getting with some rocket engines. Thanks! I'm really surprised how well this mod has been running! You guys did an amazing job with this mod! I had no problems whatsoever setting up and installing this mod, besides Smoke Screen.

I have one quick question gameplay question though. I was able to get Jeb into orbit around the Moon for the first time today. However when he returned, even though his mk 1 capsule exceeded DRE's G force limits for re-entry. (I have DRE set to its stock settings on medium) Should I adjust my re-entry technique or should I adjust the DRE settings so that G forces are not as deadly. When I returned Jeb from the Moon, I just aimed for a 40km periapsis and pointed straight retrograde like I always do. I'm guessing I was a bit shallow.

First of all, Deadly Reentry shall soon be phased out of RO in favor of RealHeat, so many things will likely change.

However, one thing that will certainly not change is that for returning from beyond LEO you want to perform a lifting reentry, like the real-life apollo missions did, as depicted in this video:

(please note that this video is somewhat outdated, we now have a "descent mode" option added to capsules to make this easier). In short, you want to use your built-in RCS (it is there for this purpose) to maneuver your capsule in such a way that it generates some lift, and this way stays longer within the upper part of the atmosphere.

If I read your description right, what you did is called a ballistic reentry, and is what the earliest capsules did (Vostok, for example). It results in uncomfortable G loads even when returning just from low Earth orbit, and is hardly survivable for anything beyond that.

Edited by Hattivat

Anyone familiar with linux able to get the -popupwindow functionality to work similar to the windows version? I was told it did yet I cant seem to get the same results. I can make ksp full screen in the options but then I cannot alt-tab .I can maximize it in windowed ,mode but then the top bar offsets the window and blocks some important buttons. Using ckan to set the parameters I can succesfully use that but then the shift key does not work for any of the hotkeys in the ab, I didnt launch so I dont know yet if I can still throttle. Any solution?

Edited by Bender222

I'm having an issue when installing on linux ubuntu, running 64 bit KSP.

I install via CKAN (which actually takes longer than manual install funnily enough because of bugs/complications), and select the 8k DDS texture pack, however when flying rockets the terrain seems incredibly low-res, nothing like the images scattered on this thread.

Also the highmap is also very low-res, the square-polygons are several hundered km wide.

Any ideas on cause of this?

jeez did this CKAN thing backfire like a gun made of jello eh :P

EDIT: Fixed, due to misleading instructions for RVE mod. I recommend to anyone who is trying to install RVE (Environmental Visual Enhancements for Real Solar System) you DON'T do what the instructions say. You don't just paste 'RVE' and the other file quoted into GameData folder, you have to post the whole lot that is in the github master release page, regardless if the instructions don't say they are needed, or part of the mod, ect. ect.

Edited by samhuk

Anyyone familiar with linux able to get the -popupwindow functionality to work similar to the windows version? I was told it did yet I cant seem to get the same results. I can make ksp full screen in the options but then I cannot alt-tab .I can maximize it in windowed ,mode but then the top bar offsets the window and blocks some important buttons.

Ubuntu or mint

Mint press ( ctrl-fn then press alt-tab )

Ubuntu ( fn-alt then tab )

@Felger,

ckan works fine, I just wanted to do a manual to check various files against some things I am testing in 'non' ckan ksp instal's... Some of my installs are quick test beds and I dont typically 'ckan' those..

found it (yes, it is well hidden).

Also, how is the chaka stuff coming along. That is my next set of files to be working on, with????

many thanks for reply, mod and help...

Things have been very busy for me at work (and at home) and probably will be for a few weeks hence. CMES (Chaka) is towards the bottom of my list of things to do, but it will get done eventually. It would definitely get done faster with more help, feel free to drop by the Realism Overhaul IRC channel and offer your help, we'd be glad to have it!

Hi, I installed RO and all the dependencies along with smoke screen using CKAN and i'm still not getting a plume.

That's very strange, can you post an output_log.txt so we can have some extra troubleshooting information? It's located in KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_Data/output_log.txt

not sure if i shud post this here but i having a issue with all my builds inwhich when i go to launchpad all the stageing on the left hand side dissapears and can only get it back when i relise a clamp. i have to do everything manual hitting space dont work . any ideas please ?

running RSS with open GL and agressive texture etc which i happy with as has deff stopped the random crashes.

I've recently installed this modpack (loving it so far, orbit is so much harder!!), and I was wondering if there was any way to get mechjeb to do an ascent for me and put me into the inclinated orbit I wanted?

Hi. Mechjeb's AS is currently only semi functionally. The differences between how Mechjeb launches and RL launches are magnified by Kerbin's large size in RO. The main difference is you'll be burning for velocity a lot more than you will be for altitude. There's a guide here on how to get an approximate ascent. https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/MechJeb-Ascents

Finally, this is how it works for me.

Set Mechjeb ascent with a turn starting at 1-2 km ( below 100 m/s) with an end of 75-150 and an angle of 45-55. As the LV climbs and becomes horizontal adjust the profile slowly to your intended orbit whilst reducing the angle (so it shallows out and most of your dV is going to attaining orbital velocity.) If you have about 10k m/s dV budget you should be able to get to orbit easily with Mechjeb AS.

Ubuntu or mint

Mint press ( ctrl-fn then press alt-tab )

Ubuntu ( fn-alt then tab )

on a non laptop keyboard which key Fn ? Is it the "windows" key (super?) ? Do this in full screened mode?

Edited by Bender222

I just finished the config file for the ISS Community Pack by Bobcat. I have made it to be working in .25 because the ISS has not been updated to .90 officially. But since it is mostly just parts I think it would do just fine in .90, as should the config file.

I have not had the time to get into gitHub, so I will just post a dropbox link for the file. In case I make other configs in the future I might look into gitHub, since I know it is easier for you guys!

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7povn2xkmvze2gh/RO_ISS.cfg?dl=0

I just finished the config file for the ISS Community Pack by Bobcat. I have made it to be working in .25 because the ISS has not been updated to .90 officially. But since it is mostly just parts I think it would do just fine in .90, as should the config file.

I have not had the time to get into gitHub, so I will just post a dropbox link for the file. In case I make other configs in the future I might look into gitHub, since I know it is easier for you guys!

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7povn2xkmvze2gh/RO_ISS.cfg?dl=0

Holy Awesomesauce! I'll get these in the next release.

- - - Updated - - -

Modifying a few points, FGB and SM don't have reaction wheels, just thrusters.

Excuse me, is there a list of mods which will be added into RO familly?

I recall that older thread had one, but this thread seems not having it.

My last gameplay with RO was 0.23.5.

Since it was a long break, I wanna play 0.90 with some interesting mods!

I think it would be great if I could play RO with MKS/OKS, Karbonite, KMPI, and EP.

Edited by FennexFox

Yes, it's here (scroll down for WIP ones):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rSxyNjWSH7eWtUgRstVq_2jDGnAhTwtEiwyNIJhVALg/edit#gid=149381527

But sadly none of the mods you have mentioned are on it at the moment. Adding them with the sort of accuracy that is standard for RO would require a fair amount of research and work, but if you are feeling up to the task, you are very welcome to contribute towards making it reality. In which case feel free to hop on the IRC channel and ask for guidance.