[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Awesome!

and: what would be a good setting for RemoteTech's multiple antenna multiplier? Is "1" realistic?

I also am a bit skeptical of the parameters set in the RSS config for RemoteTech. I'm definitely setting EnableSignalDelay to true, no idea why RSS would default it to off haha. But I'm also thinking that having the multiple antenna multiplier set to 1 is probably unrealistic, as well. Can anyone suggest a more realistic value? Having some sort of additive value for multiple antenna seems absolutely necessary, as without it, the antenna with the greatest range wouldn't even be able to keep in contact with Mars at its greatest distance from Earth. But it just seems unrealistic that two dishes would give exactly twice the range of one of them. Or maybe it's not. I don't know. Maybe some sort of combination of changing the range multiplier and also lowering the multiple antenna multiplier? Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a problem. Whenever the game reaches the main menu after loading (where it would normally change all of the planets), I get thrown this: UnityException: *RSS* REALSOLARSYSTEM node not found!. My log is here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By476p9ayAGTaktzM3FGMzNYdDg/view?usp=sharing; This is my GameData (sorry, no screenshot):

000_Toolbar; AJE; BetterBuoyancy; ConnectedLivingSpace; CrossFeedEnabler; DDSLoader; DeadlyReentry; EngineGroupController; EngineIgnitor; FASA; FerramAerospaceResearch; KAS; KerbalIspDifficultyScaler; KerbalJointReinforcement; MechJeb2; ModuleRCSFX; NASAmission; ProceduralDynamics; ProceduralFairings; ProceduralParts; RealChute; RealFuels; RealismOverhaul; RealSolarSystem; RemoteTech; RSSTextures; ShipManifest; SmokeScreen; Squad; TextureReplacer; ThunderAerospace; TweakScale; ModuleManager.2.5.9.dll

I'm running KSP 0.90 Windows (NOT x64), with Windows 8.1. Thanks.

Looks like you're missing CFG files, both for RF and RSS. Screenshot your RealFuels folder and your RealSolarSystem folder please?

mr_trousers: First, welcome! :) Second, since the antenna masses are such that we consider them to be both transmitter/receiver *and* antenna, when you add more antennas in effect (abstractly) you're increasing Tx power/Rx sensitivity too. Hence the 1.0. If you'd rather play with, say, .75 or .5, that's fine though!

Edited by NathanKell

mr_trousers: First, welcome! :) Second, since the antenna masses are such that we consider them to be both transmitter/receiver *and* antenna, when you add more antennas in effect (abstractly) you're increasing Tx power/Rx sensitivity too. Hence the 1.0. If you'd rather play with, say, .75 or .5, that's fine though!

Thanks! I might reduce it, not sure yet. On a related note, though, I noticed that the range type parameter is set to "additive," instead of "standard" or "root." This value isn't actually explained in the user guide though, lol. My guess is that this makes it so that if you have two satellites pointed at each other, then the max range they can communicate at is their two ranges added together? Is this more realistic than root mode? Root mode sounds the most realistic (not that I know much about it), and also seems well-praised by various users, so that's the only other thing I'm considering switching in RT for my Realism Overhaul playthrough!

So for my inaugural post on these forums I thought I'd say thanks for this, launching rockets had gotten easy and "samey" but having relearned how to fly and managing to put a sounding rocket into space on a sub-orbital trajectory, this mod has helped me rediscover the simple joy of space flight I had when I first started playing KSP.

So thank you very much for all your wonderful hard work.

When I get home, I'll be devoting much of this evening to getting a new career off the ground, a little alternate history role playing around a British space program that doesn't get cancelled in it's infancy :).

I have also been considering doing some modding, and I have one in mind that I think might be doable (with the caveat that I know very little about the KSP API, and although I've coded a fair bit in C/C++, Java and others, I've never touched C#, so I'm aware there'll be somewhat of a learning curve). Basically a radiation mod, adding point source radiation from planets, the sun and radioactive parts (the NTRs, Near Future's reactors etc) and modelling it's effects on Kerbals and sensitive electronics like probe cores. I'd want to add various parts as well, Geiger counters radiation shields and so on.

Would something like that be of interest to the Realism crowd?

Just a small question:

I`m playing with Realism overhaul(and Realistic Progression Zero) on KSP 0.90. Remotetech is behaving a bit strangely. I am using the config for multiple mission controls at each launch site. The antennas(antennae?) I have max at about 4 Megameters(Mm). When connecting one vessel to another, this holds true, and they only connect within that distance. However, I have been able to connect directly with the mission controls at distances exceeding 84 Mm. Is this intended?

I've installed Laztek SpaceX Launch pack and noticed that the minimum thrust set by the RO .cfg for Laztek was way too high (couldn't do a smooth powered landing with a Dragon V2 because of this) so I've changed it and it's all to my liking now :)

Thanks for the great pack and how easy is all is to install now with CKAN compared to before

CommanderSmith: That's weird, they look correct.

Two things to try:

1. Delete the two cache files in KSP/GameData (both from ModuleManager)

2. Where is your KSP located? If it's on your desktop, or in Program Files, make a new folder in C:\ and put the whole thing there.

mr_trousers, Falconflyer2000: Remotetech has two range models, Standard and Root (Additive is the old name for Root). Standard is as described: antennas have a maximum range (barring multiple antenna modifiers). Root is as follows:

1. Compute range of a node as follows: for each dish with a link to the other node, pick the largest range dish; for omni range, find max range antenna, range will be that + modifier * sum(range for each other antenna).

2. Maximum range between two nodes is, assuming range(A) < range(B), range(A) + sqrt(range(A)*range(B))

In particular, ground stations have very large ranges, so you don't need much in the way of antennas even in Geostationary orbit; for the Moon, you might need 4-5 Comm16s.

Note that this is not realistic; what would be truly realistic would be adding the power of both nodes together, comparing to path losses, and seeing what bit rate results...

Citizen247, welcome, and thanks so much! That mod idea sounds grand, and is sorely lacking. C# is not hard to pick up, it's very Java-like but with a more C++ syntax (it is, after all, MS's competition for Java...)

CommanderSmith: That's weird, they look correct.

Two things to try:

1. Delete the two cache files in KSP/GameData (both from ModuleManager)

2. Where is your KSP located? If it's on your desktop, or in Program Files, make a new folder in C:\ and put the whole thing there.

Thanks, I performed no. 1, and now it works. Huzzah! Now my only problem is memory (but then again, when is that not an issue?:D)

I have also been considering doing some modding, and I have one in mind that I think might be doable (with the caveat that I know very little about the KSP API, and although I've coded a fair bit in C/C++, Java and others, I've never touched C#, so I'm aware there'll be somewhat of a learning curve). Basically a radiation mod, adding point source radiation from planets, the sun and radioactive parts (the NTRs, Near Future's reactors etc) and modelling it's effects on Kerbals and sensitive electronics like probe cores. I'd want to add various parts as well, Geiger counters radiation shields and so on.

Would something like that be of interest to the Realism crowd?

Citizen247, This sounds like a cool idea. After reading about NTR's neutron radiation heating fuel tanks, I wondered how feasible a "Real Rad" mod would be.

If you haven't already, you might want to look at FRACTALUK's mod, KSP Interstellar. I don't think the radiation part of the mod is complete, but it does track individual Kerbal radiation accumulation, has shielding ratings for capsules, and varying radiation based on location and orbital altitude/orientation.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread

Also, RealFuels (might be DRE or RSS?) varies tank temperature based on orientation to the sun. Maybe something similar could be used to determine shielding from the sun/solar flares when in interplanetary space?

Also, RealFuels (might be DRE or RSS?) varies tank temperature based on orientation to the sun. Maybe something similar could be used to determine shielding from the sun/solar flares when in interplanetary space?

No, that's stock KSP doing that. It does track tank orientation and modifies temperature accordingly.

No, that's stock KSP doing that. It does track tank orientation and modifies temperature accordingly.

Oops...Thanks for the correction. Before I played with RF, I thought the stock temperatures just looked random (a thermometer facing the sun could be colder than one in shadow), but I wasn't concerned with boiloff then.

I have done some personalizing tweaks since upgrading my FASA RSS RO build to 0.90, but the basics work fairly well. Is there something in particular failing you sp1989?

The sizes seem to be off. Like fire the saturn I am well into the third stage before I come close to orbit. Mercury comes nowhere near suborbital. Gemini doesnt come close to orbit. Everything just seems small. Idk like I said it might just be me. I haven't used FASA and RSS/RO in a while. Also I know what I am doing. I have used RSS and fasa for a while it just seems different.

Citizen247, This sounds like a cool idea. After reading about NTR's neutron radiation heating fuel tanks, I wondered how feasible a "Real Rad" mod would be.

Initially I'd be looking at damage to Kerbals and Probe cores from radiation exposure. I suspect it could be expanded to heating and transmuting other parts as well. Could add an extra dimension to career, as you begin to unlock in place annealing and the like. That would be a bit further down the line, as I'm still learning the KSP API ATM though.

If you haven't already, you might want to look at FRACTALUK's mod, KSP Interstellar. I don't think the radiation part of the mod is complete, but it does track individual Kerbal radiation accumulation, has shielding ratings for capsules, and varying radiation based on location and orbital altitude/orientation.

I've played with intestellar a bit, but didn't really like it, but I was planning on looking at the source code.

Though my initial thoughts were to have a base "background radiation" level for space and adjust that with fall off maps when near to bodies (so it can be attenuated by atmosphere, and accumulated in van allen belts). Parts (like NTRs) would be point sources, so I'm assuming they could be handled as calculating a vector between origins, ray casting to see if any shadow shields are in the way, and attenuating the source strength by the vector magnitude (inverse square) and total shielding level.

The best thought I had for tracking Chronic and Acute exposures was to implement a "radiation" resource, "Rad-hardness" would dictate what percentage of radiation received is stored, and the counter would tick down over time to simulate the bodies repair of the damage.

It's not 100% real, but I think that mechanism would be a good balance for game-play/implementation.