[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Strikeeagle345: You are using KSP Winx64. That version is not supported by most mods RO requires, and using RO on KSPWinx64 is itself not supported. KSP Winx64 really is screwy, we can't fix stuff that ain't our bugs.

RocketBlam: Please actually read the OP and the guides. The *point* of RO is to change things to match real counterparts. When was the last time you could cram three space-suited humans in a cone 2.5m (8ft) in diameter at the base, 4ft at the top, and about 8ft tall?

As for the no comms thing--Do you have RemoteTech installed? If yes, the solution will be different to if no.

itsthatguy: you need to connect it to a highly-pressurized tank, of type ServiceModule or type Fuselage. If you have proc tanks, just change type until ServiceModule comes up; if not, use an RCS tank. Strikeeagle345, your answer would work for a non-pressure-fed engine, but itsthatguy is telling us that the engine is complaining that the tanks are unpressurized.

ETA: Removed old info.

All of the liquid fuel tanks, antennas, Goo Modules and decouplers seem to be the right size, but the Mk 1 pod, the Mk1 Lander Can, and the Thiokol SRBs are double sized (you have to scale the fuel tanks up to 2.2 meters to make them the same size as the Mk1, which is only supposed to be 1.25 meters wide)... and this thing installs so many mods, I wouldn't even know how to figure out what the problem is.

Also, I tried to transmit in flight and it gake me the "no comms on this vessel" error, even though I have an antenna.

Starting to think this whole mod has major issues.

They are intended. How could you think that a one man space pod could be smaller then 2.2m? That's not a motorcycle.

About data transmit thing, you should learn about RemoteTech2 and establishing comms network.

You have to learn many things before blame a big project in which so many peoples involved had "Major Issue".

RocketBlam: Please actually read the OP and the guides. The *point* of RO is to change things to match real counterparts. When was the last time you could cram three space-suited humans in a cone 2.5m (8ft) in diameter at the base, 4ft at the top, and about 8ft tall?

As for the no comms thing--Do you have RemoteTech installed? If yes, the solution will be different to if no.

Thanks for the response.

We're talking about the Mk 1 command pod. It only holds one Kerbal. And its a 1.25m part... Right?

If someone could just tell me if this size change is intentional, that would help.

Also, I did read the OP and the guides, and looked far and wide trying to find out why this was happening, and what mod was doing it.

Edited by RocketBlam

So I installed realism overhaul, and it works fine except for engine fairings, which no longer work.

Yes they are, you can use interstage fairing from Procedural Fairing mod to make engine fairings.

In real world there's a lot of examples that engine size doesn't fit tank size neither fairintg size(have a quick look at Delta Cryogenic Second Stage), so stock version of engine fairing just doesn't fit at all.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone could just tell me if this size change is intentional, that would help.

Yes, and if you had asked that is intentional or not before saying "major issue", that would be far more helpful.

Edited by FennexFox

So I installed realism overhaul, and it works fine except for engine fairings, which no longer work.

The engines' autofairings are removed by RO. This is intended. In RO, it's not uncommon for engine-sizes to not match the stages above/below, and the autofairings simply aren't flexible enough to work.

I recall that older version of RO decided to so to get rid of "tank butt" of Squad engines, but not sure.

Yes, there was a period when RO maintainers attempted to get rid of the "tankbutt" problem by shifting the models up using the ModuleManager configs, so that the engines' tankbutts would be hidden within the actual tanks...

This didn't (/doesn't) work. It doesn't get rid of the radial-size mismatches between the engines and their tankbutts, and since the tankbutts were shifted up, the problem of tankbutts going "all-way-through" small tanks and being still visible on the other side arose...

Currently, there are some volunteers working on proper butt-less 3D models for RO (or the community, if other mods requiring butt-less arise), myself included, although I am currently not-active in the RO's 3D modelling volunteer team because I'm making a GUI version of Felger's AutoPruner tool; As soon as I'm satisfied enough with it to publish to public, I'm back to 3D modelling...

It will take some time, but some butt-less are already being introduced by some of the recommended mods, and some more are coming from this volunteer 3D-modelling effort, so RO is finally going to get decent engine variety without all the tank-butt ugliness and craft-design headaches...

Edited by AlmightyR
fixed a typo

Thank you for your kind response, and I'm glad to hear that there are such a kind guys who volunteer to work RO looks much better. I edited my reply just before yours. Sorry for making it confusing.

Edited by FennexFox

Yes, and if you had asked that is intentional or not before saying "major issue", that would be far more helpful.

OK, fair enough. I don't want to argue about it.

Although I have to say, we're not flying humans here... they are Kerbals. Put a Kerbal on EVA on the outside of a Mk1 pod and he's tiny... you could fit three of them in there. So that's part of where my confusion came from. And also the fact that I couldn't find anywhere in the documentation that described that the pods were now 2.2 meters in width.

Also, just as a note, the Mercury capsule held a full size human and it was only 1.89 meters wide.

Edited by RocketBlam

OK, fair enough. I don't want to argue about it.

Although I have to say, we're not flying humans here... they are Kerbals. Put a Kerbal on EVA on the outside of a Mk1 pod and he's tiny... you could fit three of them in there. So that's part of where my confusion came from. And also the fact that I couldn't find anywhere in the documentation that described that the pods were now 2.2 meters in width.

Kerbals don't live in Earth, and they didn't flew Apollo Capsules which is human sized. In RO it is sure that everything is human sized, otherwise they are much oversized. Sorry for saying that one man pod should be no smaller then 2.2m, but it seems very obvious that it should be bigger then 1.1m.

Edited by FennexFox

Some simple but realistic rockets I created while trying to be as realistic as possible.

Falcon 9 v1.1 (Merlin 1D)

500 tons, 72 meters high. 13 tons to LEO (not tested). 4.8 tons tu GTO (not tested).

Dependencies : Realism Overhaul, RealFuels, TweakScale, Near Future Construction (OctoAdapter), KW Rocketry (for the fairings), Procedural Fairings (interstage) and Procedural Parts (for the fuel tanks).

jvPJoEa.png

RXfJfF4.png

http://www.filedropper.com/falcon9_1

Delta IV-Medium (RS-68A)

384 tons, 66,4 meters high. 13 tons to LEO. 6.9 to GEO.

The SRB's are misplaced.

Dependencies Realism Overhaul, RealFuels, Procedural Fairings, Procedural Parts, KW Rocketry, AIES Aerospace

8zEgFSq.png

qNwhb6V.png

http://www.filedropper.com/delta-ivmedium

Delta IV Heavy

750 tons. 13.4 tons to GEO.

Dependencies Realism Overhaul, RealFuels, Procedural Fairings, Procedural Parts, KW Rocketry, AIES Aerospace

Zs3XwbM.png

x1mt3k0.pngMAKOYR4.png

http://www.filedropper.com/delta-ivheavy

Delta II 7925H & 7920H

287 tons. 39 meters high. 2 tons to GTO (7925H). 6 tons to LEO (7920H).

3X time acceleration is recommended.

SRB SEPARATION AT 2min05sec and 4min. VERY IMPORTANT

After all srb have been separated, desactivate mechjeb and point prograde. Stage 2 has low TWR.

Dependencies :Realism Overhaul, RealFuels, Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings, KW Rocketry

ooFoFzF.png

http://www.filedropper.com/deltaii7925h_1

http://www.filedropper.com/deltaii7920h

Soyuz-FG

300 tons. 50 meters high. 7 tons to LEO.

Dependencies : Realism Overhaul, RealFuels, Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings, KW Rocketry, Soviet Engine Pack

6gxzBRU.jpg

Edited by pozine

Kerbals don't live in Earth, and they didn't flew Apollo Capsules for human sized.

That is what I mean. This capsule just looks a lot bigger than necessary.

8xz6o98.png?1

Maybe make the Kerbals bigger. Just an idea.

Edited by RocketBlam

Believe me, we wish the kerbals were humans with all our heart. The best we can do right now is size the stuff we can control, and hope your willing suspension of disbelief allows you to picture a proper EVA model.

It's not impossible, AFAIK, to replace the kerbal model, it's just a quite incredible amount of reverse engineering...and then forward engineering. There are many things in KSP that are not easily moddable, and there are some, like the *((@% hardcoded building-level-induced-limits in career, that the addon rules prevent us from modding even though we can.

No problem. I'm sorry to say (and apologetic to you, since the failure is mine) that when I hear "hey, my parts are weird sizes now" for the nth time, despite us trying to point out in the OP and guides that, well, that's what this mod does, it makes me a bit snippy. Which you don't deserve.

Just don't then point out how the engines and tanks don't match, k? :]

(Engines, too, are resized to match real counterparts--use proc interstages and proc tanks.)

the latest update for kw on git (5 hours ago)

has one "}" too much in the end of the KW1mengineMaverick1D config. Removing it returns the sweet juicy real fuel configs.

Edited by ExorbitClamp
syntax fix nr4 last try well its probably readable anyway

itsthatguy: you need to connect it to a highly-pressurized tank, of type ServiceModule or type Fuselage. If you have proc tanks, just change type until ServiceModule comes up; if not, use an RCS tank. Strikeeagle345, your answer would work for a non-pressure-fed engine, but itsthatguy is telling us that the engine is complaining that the tanks are unpressurized.

Thanks, I just started my first career with RO and had never dealt with pressure fed engines till now. (I wanted to wait until the official release of RP-0 came out for .90)

Strikeeagle345: You are using KSP Winx64. That version is not supported by most mods RO requires, and using RO on KSPWinx64 is itself not supported. KSP Winx64 really is screwy, we can't fix stuff that ain't our bugs.

ok So I did another clean install and tried 32 bit. I am now getting stuck here:

eVcvjLG.jpg

vnZq8Xx.jpg

504oGqG.jpg

Edited by Strikeeagle345

I have been having problems with Mechjeb and KER showing different Delta-v values in the VAB, in a KCT simulation, and during an actual launch. I amjust wondering which value I can trust and what I can do to see that value in the VAB.

http://imgur.com/a/b3807

http://imgur.com/a/b3807

KER1 also indicate that you have about 11300 m/s. Your first stage has 7k m/s. The second stage has 4k. You added 7000 + 11000 which is wrong. 11000 is your total delta-V. 7000 is your stage 1 delta-v.

Do you have cryogenic tanks? Did you use time warp? Liquid O2 and H2 have a boiloff rate. While time pass, the O2 and H2 that can be used goes down.

Always trust mechJeb though.

Edited by pozine

ok So I did another clean install and tried 32 bit. I am now getting stuck here:

I had the same problem a few days ago. The loading screen was stuck there for hours when running the game the first time. In my case it helped to exit the game and just start it again.

KER1 also indicate that you have about 11300 m/s. Your first stage has 7k m/s. The second stage has 4k. You added 7000 + 11000 which is wrong. 11000 is your total delta-V. 7000 is your stage 1 delta-v.

Do you have cryogenic tanks? Did you use time warp? Liquid O2 and H2 have a boiloff rate. While time pass, the O2 and H2 that can be used goes down.

Always trust mechJeb though.

The main problem is that it shows a different value in the VAB and in a KCT simulation than the value at launch, which makes it difficult to know without building the rocket if it can make orbit. As for your questions: All tanks are sets to default and first stage uses kerosene/Lox and second stage uses kerosene/HTP. Screen shot was taken immediately on load.

The main problem is that it shows a different value in the VAB and in a KCT simulation than the value at launch, which makes it difficult to know without building the rocket if it can make orbit. As for your questions: All tanks are sets to default and first stage uses kerosene/Lox and second stage uses kerosene/HTP. Screen shot was taken immediately on load.

I think there is a bug in Realfuels; sometimes, my first stage gets almost emptied for some reason. Go to the vab, empty your first stage, "refuel it" then try again.