[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Looking at the results of the real life Explorer 1 launch (from this page: http://history.nasa.gov/sputnik/expinfo.html ) and the results I'm getting from trying to mimic the launch using FASA's Explorer 1 after RO makes its changes, I'm not sure it's set up right. I've launched multiple times and haven't been able to reach orbital speed, or the speeds that the real Explorer 1 achieved.

[Edited complete rewrite]

I didn't know spin stabilization would work in KSP, and I'd thought of trying it but never got around to it (mostly because of the bug I'm going to detail in a minute!) but I gave it a go and things went swell. This is the first orbit I've ever done in RSS, since I've never tried it before, and probably the part that had me most surprised is how rapidly you go from suborbital perigee-below-surface to orbital at the end of the burn. If I'd know how much only a little loss of thrust could affect the outcome of that burn, I'd have definitely tried spin stabilization earlier.

Of course, I'd also been dealing with a bug where quickloading to reattempt things like that wasn't able to load the vessel. I launched multiple explorers just to retry and finally gave up to investigate the cause of the problem. I don't know what caused it exactly, but I did notice I'd forgotten to install the RSS Distant Object config, and I also removed FASA's reflection plugin because I don't even know if that works anymore.

One of the things I found when I'd examined the logs was that Real Plumes' SmokeScreen configs threw constant streams of errors while I was burning every stage; and this is with an up-to-date SmokeScreen plugin. I even redownloaded it for the last attempt at loading the game, and a burn gave me a few thousand of those null exceptions.

Edited by Nerezza

I know this is a LOOOT... but I think it may be a good idea for the later future. (If it's even possible of course.)

SOOOO... when you start career mode, you start off with a single launch site. (How you choose it may vary)

You can only communicate with THAT launch site. (If you have remote tech, that is.)

To use other launch sites, you can either:

1. Pay for a single launch of a pre designed vehicle. You are taken straight to the Launch Pad/Runway.

2. Buy the launch site, you can use all facilities just like the normal KSC. You can also communicate with it. However, this will cost a pretty penny.

Let's be real here, being able to launch from a multitude of different places around the globe for free is not realistic, and it's overpowered.

Making a comm - sat system is extremely easy considering there are red dots littering the globe, and getting into a specific orbit is easy by just changing your launch site.

Does anybody here know how to assemble the Saturn V from FASA, every part goes together correctly except the lunar module adapter and fairings. I have no idea how to connect these together can somebody help me please?

Does anybody here know how to assemble the Saturn V from FASA, every part goes together correctly except the lunar module adapter and fairings. I have no idea how to connect these together can somebody help me please?

This is an ongoing issue. Short of shifting node locations in the config files, there's not much that can be done.

Let's be real here, being able to launch from a multitude of different places around the globe for free is not realistic, and it's overpowered.

Making a comm - sat system is extremely easy considering there are red dots littering the globe, and getting into a specific orbit is easy by just changing your launch site.

Not really. I mean having a single ground communication site is unrealistic, when Sputnik was launched it could be tracked all along it's orbit because of the world wide ground stations. Ok having perfect access to them isn't exactly realistic, there was one incident where Australian stations intercepted Russian probe data, and wouldn't give it to the Russians without the encryption key, and the Russians wouldn't supply that...

And obviously NASA couldn't just rock up to the Soviet Union and use their launch pads, or vice versa, but that would seem to push it from a space program game to a geopolitical roleplaying game of the cold war...

I.e. those changes would seem to make it LESS realistic.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer searching the thread. For some reason I can't launch manned craft. When I click launch, it takes me to the launch pad and all the staging is missing from the side and hitting space or even manually right clicking and activating engines does nothing. It seems if I use launch stability enhancers I can get the engines to activate by activating the engine, then releasing the clamp. As soon as the craft starts to fall the engines start firing but all the staging groups into one stage.

[Edited complete rewrite]

Of course, I'd also been dealing with a bug where quickloading to reattempt things like that wasn't able to load the vessel. I launched multiple explorers just to retry and finally gave up to investigate the cause of the problem.

Are you SURE you have the latest version of RO and not some old configs? I would suggest deleting your RO directory and reinstalling. Also delete your ModuleManager cache.

The bug you describe was fixed in RO a couple versions ago.

I am having trouble with RCS on my ship. Only the pods built into the command pod will fire, the radial mounted RCS won't fire, i have tried multiple different blocks as well. Here is a screenshot of the ship that is having problems (http://gyazo.com/b57163decec1d7c96676a47280ef3472)

Here is my log - https://www./?bs52ln5p33kr34g

And here is the ship - https://www./?a5r2xph8q9329tb

If anyone can help with this it'd be awesome, its pretty hard to dock without RCS!

I am having trouble with RCS on my ship. Only the pods built into the command pod will fire, the radial mounted RCS won't fire, i have tried multiple different blocks as well. Here is a screenshot of the ship that is having problems (http://gyazo.com/b57163decec1d7c96676a47280ef3472)

Here is my log - https://www./?bs52ln5p33kr34g

And here is the ship - https://www./?a5r2xph8q9329tb

If anyone can help with this it'd be awesome, its pretty hard to dock without RCS!

I don't see any Crossfeed enabler modules in your ship's .cfg. That will probably solve your problem. It is on CKAN or you can get it here. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76499-0-90-CrossFeedEnabler-v3-2-Dec-20-14

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find the answer searching the thread. For some reason I can't launch manned craft. When I click launch, it takes me to the launch pad and all the staging is missing from the side and hitting space or even manually right clicking and activating engines does nothing. It seems if I use launch stability enhancers I can get the engines to activate by activating the engine, then releasing the clamp. As soon as the craft starts to fall the engines start firing but all the staging groups into one stage.

I would suggest a clean install. Start fresh. It's cumbersome, but it will probably work.

I figured out the issue I was having with the mark 1-2 Command Pod. It was caused by an incompatibility between SDHI, and realism overhaul. SDHI has a module manager config located at GameData/SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/MM_configs/SDHI_SMS_MMPatch_TACLifeSupport.cfg. This is the section that causes the issure:

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL {

// Remove MFT support
!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] {}

// Use replace (%) rather than edit (@), to ensure that the following values are loaded regardless of the presence/absence of MFT/RealFuels
%RESOURCE[Food]
{
%amount = 8.776
%maxAmount = 8.776
}
%RESOURCE[Water]
{
%amount = 2.175
%maxAmount = 2.175
}
%RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
%amount = 333.114
%maxAmount = 333.114
}
%RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 287.739
}
%RESOURCE[Waste]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 0.8
}
%RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 2.772
}
}

This section of code removes the MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] that Realism Overhaul adds the the mark 1-2 command pod. This causes the incorrect resources to appear for the command pod in the VAB. Removing that section of code fixed the problem I had. After that SDHI seems to work great for me now! There are some attachment nodes that are off, but nothing that the offset tool can't easily fix. I have not encountered any other issues.

I would like to try to work on updating the RealismOverhaul configs for SDHI, but I don't know how to fix properly fix this MM config.

I don't see any Crossfeed enabler modules in your ship's .cfg. That will probably solve your problem. It is on CKAN or you can get it here. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76499-0-90-CrossFeedEnabler-v3-2-Dec-20-14

Its installed, is there anything else I have to do?

I figured out the issue I was having with the mark 1-2 Command Pod. It was caused by an incompatibility between SDHI, and realism overhaul. SDHI has a module manager config located at GameData/SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/MM_configs/SDHI_SMS_MMPatch_TACLifeSupport.cfg. This is the section that causes the issure:

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL {

// Remove MFT support
!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] {}

// Use replace (%) rather than edit (@), to ensure that the following values are loaded regardless of the presence/absence of MFT/RealFuels
%RESOURCE[Food]
{
%amount = 8.776
%maxAmount = 8.776
}
%RESOURCE[Water]
{
%amount = 2.175
%maxAmount = 2.175
}
%RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
%amount = 333.114
%maxAmount = 333.114
}
%RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 287.739
}
%RESOURCE[Waste]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 0.8
}
%RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
%amount = 0
%maxAmount = 2.772
}
}

This section of code removes the MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] that Realism Overhaul adds the the mark 1-2 command pod. This causes the incorrect resources to appear for the command pod in the VAB. Removing that section of code fixed the problem I had. After that SDHI seems to work great for me now! There are some attachment nodes that are off, but nothing that the offset tool can't easily fix. I have not encountered any other issues.

I would like to try to work on updating the RealismOverhaul configs for SDHI, but I don't know how to fix properly fix this MM config.

Okay, should I remove that section of code then?

Its installed, is there anything else I have to do?

I would delete my module manager cache files before launching KSP, and then when you load up for craft, delete the RCS blocks then put new ones on. That should be about it.

Okay, should I remove that section of code then?

That is a completely different issue that I was having

I would delete my module manager cache files before launching KSP, and then when you load up for craft, delete the RCS blocks then put new ones on. That should be about it.

That is a completely different issue that I was having

Oh okay sorry lol, where are the cache files for module manager?

EDIT: Nvm found them! I will test and see if that helps!

EDIT2: Still don't work :/

Edited by Keudn

Oh okay sorry lol, where are the cache files for module manager?

EDIT: Nvm found them! I will test and see if that helps!

EDIT2: Still don't work :/

You may have to right click on the RCS tanks and make sure that they are set to Crossfeed is on.

Just a quick question about RemoteTech on RSS.

So with root setting on and everything, the max range two Reflectron GX-128s can communicate is 800 million km. And the multiple antenna multiplier only applies to omni antennas, and not to dishes (right?) so you can't just strap a second Reflectron GX-128 on each ship to boost the range.

So the max range you can communicate in this game is 800 million km. That's fine for everything in the inner system, and it's even fine for Jupiter, whose range from Earth ranges from 365 million km to 601 million km. Saturn, though, goes from 746 million km to 1.7 billion kilometers, so you clearly won't be able to communicate with anything on Saturn from Earth except for very the rare times it's within 800 million km.

There's only one thing I can think of to approach this problem: a relay around Jupiter to communicate between Earth and Saturn, but that won't work too well since the distance between Jupiter and Saturn varies from something like 537 million km 2.32 billion km, so I guess it would be able to communicate with Saturn some times Earth can't but... not very much.

And the problem just obviously gets even worse for Uranus or Pluto. The very closest I think it's even possible Uranus and Pluto come to each other is something like 1.4 billion km, so you can't even communicate between those two at their closest point.

So is it intended that we just not be able to communicate with the outer planets except for at optimal times of orbits when certain planets are closer to each other? Are signal blackouts just something to be expected? And are the very furthest planets meant to not even be able to send data back, necessitating manned flights if we want any control whatsoever out there? I'm fine with this being the case if these are indeed what was intended but I just don't know if I'm missing something or if something wasn't thought all the way through or what's going on here.

Any thoughts?