[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

What can be done in RSS/RO for visual enhancements at the moment? RVE is on hiatus with no download because of EVE itself being outdated. But reguardless if I were to download just EVE is there anything I can do to pretty things up a bit?

Hi all, I have never been an active member of any forum, but this mod (this and rss) are too good to not be discussed!

Anyway, as you can imagine I'm not here just to give thanks. I'm experiencing the classic "wobbling/disassebling/exploding rocket problem on the launchpad" with bigger rockets (not that big actually, let's say a Moon launcher).

It's hard to help without seeing screenshots, but one thing I would suggest is to make sure that you are constructing your interstages correctly. Correctly constructed interstage should have:

1. Empty space between the engine(s) and the procuderal interstage base

2. No dedicated "decoupler" part

If in doubt consult the guides on RO wiki, especially the "my first rocket" one.

Another possibility is that you exceed the reasonable TWR limits. If one of your rocket's stages has a *final* TWR of significantly more than 5, then the higher it goes, the more unstable it will be towards the end of this stage's burn. At a TWR of 7 to 8 it's still somewhat manageable, but if you get to 10 or more, it becomes a nightmare rodeo.

If you do in fact construct your interstages correctly and have reasonable TWRs, and it still wobbles too much, then it is possible that your payload is unstable within the fairing. There are fixes for that too, but it's a more complex topic, so make sure your interstages are correct first.

When my game is finished loading it crashes and i have no idea why it crashes.

Here is the folder with the crash log https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wyfb27jy5xiq5h/Crash.rar?dl=0

Short version: If you want support and 64-bit KSP, use linux.

Long version: You are attempting to use the horrifyingly unstable KSP x64 on Windows. That's explicitly unsupported both here and by the majority of the required mods. Some of them are coded to automatically disable themselves if KSP x64 on Windows is detected, others explicitly mention in their descriptions that if you are free to choose to run 64-bit KSP on Windows, but you should not expect any support. In other words, you are on your own. The only supported way to use 64-bit KSP is the linux version, which unlike its windows equivalent is reasonably stable and does not implode when you sneeze at it. If you are unwilling to install linux, use 32-bit KSP (yes, it does run on 64-bit windows, no problems there) or deal with the problems that arise from your decisions by yourself.

I'm a newbie modder and i'd also like to understand how exactly part scaling works. The CFG documentation says altering scale under MODEL affects the nodes but not the model itself, but i've found quite the opposite. Also, there's a bug somewhere which causes rescaled root parts to reset its size on a reload/revert. I was trying to make a RO config for StationPartsExpansion and i've had the same problem, the solution i've found is this:

%RSSROConfig = True
!mesh = DELETE
@MODEL
{
@scale = 1.6, 1.6, 1.6
}
@rescaleFactor = 1.0
@scale = 1.0
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.16717376, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.16245408, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.54553424, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1

I've rescaled the model and manually repositioned the nodes, simply multiplying them by 1.6. The part was 1.25m and now it's 2m. This works even as a root part, i've launched several of these parts and they're currently orbiting Kerbin as my KSS parts :) But i'm not sure this is the correct method to do the rescaling...

Yes, this is the method that the majority of RO configs use, and in my experience indeed the correct one.

But with 32-bit i run out of memory when it is finished loading. When will they fix 64-bit ksp for windows?

Another year perhaps. Maybe longer. Maybe never. Chances are 1.0 will make things worse for Win64. Thats on the Unity devs. Not Squad. There's a good amount Squad can do to make things better, but that's a discussion for another topic.

In the meantime you have to manage your mods more appropriatly. Trim some fat, install ATM, run the game in OpenGL mode and I bet your crashing problem would be solved.

Edited by Motokid600

But with 32-bit i run out of memory when it is finished loading. When will they fix 64-bit ksp for windows?

I wish I knew, just as I wish I knew when someone finally creates a worthy replacement of MS Office for Linux. Either of these would eliminate 90% of the reboots I'm forced to make to get the best of both worlds. Alas, neither of them seems to be coming any time soon ;/

As for 32-bit, have you tried using ATM and/or the DDS converter, and/or the -force-opengl mode? Some combination of these is bound to work if you are willing to restrict yourself in terms of part mods. If not then I can only suggest that you give linux a try, linux mint or ubuntu are not hard to set up, and with the amount of RAM that I see you have, you could probably even try to get away with running KSP within linux in turn running *inside* of Windows as a virtual machine, without having to go through the whole double-booting process.

Guess i have to delete as many mods as possible then.

Out of curiosity, how many mods are you running? I've currently got something like 60 mods on my system, running Win 32. I do use the -force-opengl flag and I have aggressive ATM installed. It took several starts when I first installed ATM, but once the game finally loaded it's run fine since. I still have occassional crashes but one if I run the game for a long period of time (8+ hours) and do alot of scene jumping.

Hi Nathan!

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your work on RO and RSS. It's truly a pleasure to play this.

Secondly, do you know how to adjust atmosphere texture? When I am looking to Earth from orbit, it seems it is reaching unrealistically high and near the surface it's nearly white. Upper limit of the texture is probably upper limit of the atmosphere (140 km), but in these heights, the atmosphere is so thin you can't see it. So do you have any ideas how to make it just a thin haze around a planet?

Are you trying to launch an unmaned probe? If so, are you sure it's got an active antenna when you launch it? I fell into this trap once or twice myself. Gotta make sure you do or right after launch the engine shuts off.

Yea connection status is green. If I didn't have connection I wouldn't be able to do anything afaik. I can still stage. Turns out last night it's only a certain set of engines that have ignition issues. Maybe it could be engine ignitor? I know that mods out of date.

Soon as I figure out where to find my output_log in Linux I'll post it.

Sounds like Engine Ignitor indeed, although I don't think it's due to the mod being outdated, more likely there is an error in configs or you are doing something wrong.

Things you could be doing wrong:

a) using pressure-fed engines with any tanks that are not pressurized (ie. "service module") tanks

B) trying to ignite any engines which are NOT pressure-fed after a significant period of weightlessness without performing an ullage maneuver first

Case a) these are light and reliable engines, but at the cost of not having a turbopump. The engine thus has no way of "sucking" the propellants in, and needs a strongly pressurized tank to "push" them out instead.

Case B) Your fuel mixes with pockets of gas (no fuel tank is ever 100% full) due to weightlessness, your engine sucks on this mixture and promptly dies. Solution - ullage maneuver, ie. a small "push" to get the liquid to the bottom of the tank, and trace gas to the top of it, usually done with RCS thrusters, sometimes with small dedicated solid rockets. Centripetal force works too if you are desperate.

Edited by Hattivat

hi so im not sure if i need to discuss this here or on CKAN support thread but im having an issue with instaling RO and running it.

first of all CKAN is repeatedly failing to finish. it gets to 99% and then displays a number of exception/forbidden error messages for some of the mods, when i am able to complete the instalation loading up KSP takes time but is not much to complain about. when it gets to the start screen though it shows a box with the progress converting the planets etc, one of 2 things will happen it will either hang up on eve and just not do anything (the kerbal animation in the background continues as usual) i have left this for an hour before Alt+F4ing it doesnt change, or it will get to jool and the game will crash.

i am running the 32 bit and the mod selections i have tried, have varied from just the absolute basic RO package with no extras to pretty much every mod on the list and a few extras. each time it either fails on CKAN install at 99% prgress or it hangs up/crashes on planet conversion. there seems to be no difference on the outcome based on the mods im selecting. i have tried both with and without Active texture compression and it makes no difference. this has all been done with fresh installs of ksp.

if anyone can point me in the direction to get help with this that would be awesome im getting a bit tired of interstellar now and i want more of a challenge.

CKAN can be moody, I'm afraid I can't help with that.

As for KSP itself, judging by the description, I'm 99% sure that you are simply running out of RAM during the RSS loading.

First of all, have you installed the hi-res (8192) textures for RSS? If so, don't do it. They are not meant to be used as a complete set. Use the 4096 DDS ones for starters.

Second, try a minimal installation with just the required and suggested mods plus ATM aggressive. Please note that ATM takes a lot of time to load on the first startup.

If that still fails, please post your logs. (and yes, you do have logs even if your game does not crash, look for output_log.txt in the KSP_data folder).

cool well ill give it another try i did look at the crash report after one of them and it saiid it was only using 2300mb of ram (i may be completely wrong on that though im not very good understanding those king of files) i think ive tried that sort of minimal setup already but just in case ill try again. where would i find the error logs for CKAN if it fails to complete?

hi so im not sure if i need to discuss this here or on CKAN support thread but im having an issue with instaling RO and running it.

first of all CKAN is repeatedly failing to finish. it gets to 99% and then displays a number of exception/forbidden error messages for some of the mods, when i am able to complete the instalation loading up KSP takes time but is not much to complain about. when it gets to the start screen though it shows a box with the progress converting the planets etc, one of 2 things will happen it will either hang up on eve and just not do anything (the kerbal animation in the background continues as usual) i have left this for an hour before Alt+F4ing it doesnt change, or it will get to jool and the game will crash.

i am running the 32 bit and the mod selections i have tried, have varied from just the absolute basic RO package with no extras to pretty much every mod on the list and a few extras. each time it either fails on CKAN install at 99% prgress or it hangs up/crashes on planet conversion. there seems to be no difference on the outcome based on the mods im selecting. i have tried both with and without Active texture compression and it makes no difference. this has all been done with fresh installs of ksp.

if anyone can point me in the direction to get help with this that would be awesome im getting a bit tired of interstellar now and i want more of a challenge.

Can't really help with CKAN specific issues, you'll have to direct that to them.

But as for it hanging on the planets in the menu that is generally caused by one of two issues:

1. You have a corrupt install, which could very well be happening if CKAN isn't installing everything.

2. You have run out of memory, and need to trim. Make sure you aren't using the 8k textures. 4k at best and if you are having this problem you should try 2k.

Hwoever we can't really help you any farther without seeing logs, as otherwise we are just guessing.

cheers guys i think i have it sorted now. not sure what was going on. i did a basic install and used the 2k textures it worked fine so i kept on closing then installing 2 mods at a time running to make sure it worked and repeating till i got all the mods i originally tried. now running all the mods i wanted and a few extras which caught my eye aswell as having bumped it up to 4k textures.

only issue im having now is a few of the engines are white but i saw a post earlyer in the thread with a solution so ill just hunt that one down.

can someone explain how you are meant to launch an unmanned probe without already having a com-sat network around the planet? using remote tech and im quite well versed on its mechanics however none of the launch sites have a connection to the signal origin which for some reason is located in Columbia. so there seems to be no way for me to launch a probe. seems a bit silly that the launch sites cant act as a relay if you ask me.

anyone got any suggestions? the only thing i can think of is to uninstall RT but i really like the mod