[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

That is certainly a little wild - I too use Ubuntu 14.04 to run KSP with RO / RSS and I've never encountered the problem you describe. I'll check your mod list and revisions versus mine tonight to see if there're any differences, but this is certainly a strange one.

I think that it's a kind of linux magic or something is broken in CKAN, huh (but I've played with this mods for a few weeks and that's completely strange). Thank you if you can test my mods :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a heads up, the FASA and KW RO configs move most of the nodes around, making some pretty odd stuff happen when building crafts with those parts. I didn't know if you were aware

Hmm. I tried to uninstall KW, but it makes nothing. And my rocket hadn't any of FASA parts except launch clamps.

Do you have this problem with any of the other SQUAD parachutes? There is nothing in the MK16 RO config file which would make it unique.

I can confirm, it's just the Mk16 chute that is broken. It's not just missing the staging; it also screws up the center of mass once the craft passes 6000m, making the camera move down some kilometers (well-known Kraken caused by a variety of things, but with RO it's caused by Mk16 to be fitted). Dragging the Mk16 chute in the VAB it looks like there's a smaller model nested inside...

The Mk16 XL and Mk25 work fine.

So I decided to do some research with this cores. And I found that this explosion occures when I attach any RCS thruster to satellite bus. And this is completely strange. I think, I need to manually reinstall AIES pack.

UPD

No, it occurs with another cores but with attached antennas. That's completely wild.

Edited by Einkleinermensch

Hello ! Somebody can help me ? I keep having crashes oftens during loading when changing scenes, like from space to KSC, or VAB to Launch, ... I can't find a way to solve it. I really want to keep playing Realism Overhaul, but it's impossible with theses crashes.

My output log :'(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh8crg0zib2kt6f/output_log.txt?dl=0

Hi

I'm planning on trying out RSS. I have a few questions:

- What are the best part packs to use if i want to use RP-0 ?

- Do you guys use KCT ? How bugged is it ?

Thanks

PS: I will try a manual install as on linux CKan does not seem to work.... Any Tipps ?

Hi

I'm planning on trying out RSS. I have a few questions:

- What are the best part packs to use if i want to use RP-0 ?

- Do you guys use KCT ? How bugged is it ?

For RP-0 use only the RO essentials + RP-0 supported mods (listed in RP-0 thread) . U might add some FASA stuff, maybe Bobcat Soviet Engines if u really want them ingame. You really want to prune your parts and use only the ones that are supported by RP-0 and/or essential for you.

Also, i highly suggest using Editor Extensions, that's not listed in compatibilities!

As for KCT- works flawless for me.

Edited by Rothank

Has anyone encountered a problem with planes sinking into the runway and exploding? Is there any known workaround for this?

I have the same issue. It's the 1st "upgraded" runway, haven't tried the fully upgraded yet. I just drive off the runway onto the grass and takeoff from there :)

On a slightly different topic. Are there any successful space planes in RO? I haven't found any from any recent version. I have a rocket plane that does mach 6 but it just starts getting crazy to engineer something that stays stable past that. I don't know how to make something that will stay stable at re-entry speeds. Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Edited by g00bd0g

On a slightly different topic. Are there any successful space planes in RO? I haven't found any from any recent version. I have a rocket plane that does mach 6 but it just starts getting crazy to engineer something that stays stable past that. I don't know how to make something that will stay stable at re-entry speeds. Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Look up here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66462-Realistic-Solar-System-Spaceplanes-MEGATHREAD

Most of this stuff (if not all) is outdated tho.

The problem with spaceplanes in RP-0 is that it doesn't allow us to build big planes capable of air launching smaller ones, B-52 style. I made some custom configs in 0.90 for that and created a replica (almost) Boeing 707 that i used for survey contracts with either bomblike drop pods (groud level scans) or air launching stuff (high altitude scans).

U can look it up in the thread i pasted above.

The thing was even capable of air-launching X type plane.

Edited by Rothank

Is there any plan for Interstellar support in Realism overhaul? I feel the KSPI stuff feels a bit more realistic/balanced/fleshed out than Near Future Technologies.

I think that would require a ton of work...

Hello ! Somebody can help me ? I keep having crashes oftens during loading when changing scenes, like from space to KSC, or VAB to Launch,

I'm on a metered connection so please forgive me for not looking at your 25MB logfile. But the description sounds like you're running out of memory. Just look at the last few dozen lines in your log, it should be obvious if it's memory issues ("couldn't allocate..." or words to that effect).

PS: I will try a manual install as on linux CKan does not seem to work.... Any Tipps ?

There's pretty straightforward step-by-step instructions somewhere on the CKAN github page. On my debian box, I had to put a "yes yes |" in front of the mozroots command to save me from accepting 100 certificates manually.

The problem with spaceplanes in RP-0 is that it doesn't allow us to build big planes capable of air launching smaller ones, B-52 style.

Can't one solve that problem with boosters? Realism Overhaul or not, we can still strut things together.

Can't one solve that problem with boosters? Realism Overhaul or not, we can still strut things together.

Technically yes, but would it still be a realistic approach in a Realism Overhaul?

Playing RP-0 I felt it was impossible to do the X-1 realistically with the tech at hand. All attempts to piece together a multi-engined contraption to lift the x-plane either failed or were way too expensive; maybe they'd also require a runway upgrade because of their bulk, but I didn't get that far.

If the whole environment requires you to come up with an affordable throw-away solution, rockets seem to be the way to go.

For RP-0 use only the RO essentials + RP-0 supported mods (listed in RP-0 thread) . U might add some FASA stuff, maybe Bobcat Soviet Engines if u really want them ingame. You really want to prune your parts and use only the ones that are supported by RP-0 and/or essential for you.

Also, i highly suggest using Editor Extensions, that's not listed in compatibilities!

As for KCT- works flawless for me.

Maybe someone could answer something for me.... is there a way to engage a "debug" mode in RO so that the parts shown in the VAB/SPH also list their original names/manufactures? Purpose would be to make it easier to determine which files I need to trim to reduce superfluous parts.

Maybe someone could answer something for me.... is there a way to engage a "debug" mode in RO so that the parts shown in the VAB/SPH also list their original names/manufactures? Purpose would be to make it easier to determine which files I need to trim to reduce superfluous parts.

Do you mean THIS?

s3V5WX5.jpg

If so, as you can see, you can prune parts by name, you just go into GameData folder and search the part name (cfg file). I have no idea what triggers the display tho, it's not in vanilla and not all of my RO installs have it... IF you don't have it, here's my modlist, compare it with your's and check what's lacking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/182278uagxshy6i/Rothank%201.04%20RO%20modlist.txt?dl=0

1) My RO is a CKAN install, so if you used CKAN your modlist should be almost the same

2) Note that despite a relativelly big list, part pack mods are highly pruned (example: only Apollo and launch clamps from FASA, only selected engines from SXT etc...)

3) When pruning, run a new SANDBOX game with all parts unlocked and double check each part before you delete it. IF the part is cloned (the same model used for another part, done by some CFG file in RO or RP-0 folder), then deleting the original part file will prune both parts, while getting rid of the cloned part will delete only the latter.

Also, in case Nathan reads my post, please add the Editor Extensions to the recommended mods, the thing allows 5/7/9/[more] times symmetry, perfect vertical part alignment and a bit more. Really, really usefull mod that I can't imagine a RO install without!

Edited by Rothank

Thanks Rothank, that's actually exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I really wish I could program something higher order than a Ti-83 as I'd like to make an in-game part pruner. Right click, deselect the part in the VAB/SPH and have it go through and redact that part and also any additional files that are unique to that part (not used by any other parts, shared textures and the like) to further reduce the memory load.

Just did a fresh install of shiny new RO 10.2 and found out that most of the engines are listed as not supported by RO. Also, they don't have their names and characteristics changed. Is it my mistake in installing? I did everything the same like before: mods first, RO last.