Kerbin: The War Diaries

feriofukada

The Kerbol System: it was the final frontier for Kerbalkind. Its emptiness was once harmony and the future for the civilization, enlightening them to reach farther and become greater. It was the silk road of science and discovery.

Yet, such peace was squandered through selfish desires for power and control. The united civilization of the Union of Kerbol plunged itself into a deadly civil war that had spanned through a whole decade, reaping through thousands to millions of souls. As a result, the once-peaceful Kerbol System was divided between two factions: the Kerbin Union, and the Joolean Independent Colonies.

It was called the Kerbol Colonial War.

It was a bitter war. A merciless war.

But in the end, after all the death and destruction this civil war had cause, all that was left for them was reconciliation.

And so, the Treaty of Kerbylon-1 was ratified. The system was to be peacefully divided between the two factions: Moho, Eve, Kerbin, and Duna for the Union, and the Joolean moons and beyond for the Colonials. Dres was declared as a neutral zone governed by the Kerbylon Independent Government, and was turned into the seat of power of the treaty itself.

The Kerbol System was, once again, at peace.

... for now.

KERBIN – THE WAR DIARIES

Chapter 1: The Sword of the Orient

Kerbol-date: 2023.4.7

Time (Inter-Kerbin Dateline Time): 8:31 PM

HjAhs3p.jpg

Space. It was an ocean of silence seared to black by its vast expanse. Yet, slowly crawling through its void was the majestic broadsword of the cosmos: the KUNV Sword of the Orient. The gray claymore peacefully rode through the solar winds, with purplish particles spewed from its stern as it was about to finish its course adjustment burn.

Inside the cramped bridge, Ship Navigator Bill checks through screen after screen, making sure that all systems are nominal.

“Engines one to four at optimal heat, LFO tanks at 89.2%, No fuel lines severed-†Bill interrupted his post-burn checks as he noticed something on one of the screens. The display showed an image of the ship's four reactors, each labeled one to four. All but Reactor #3 were lit green, which meant they ran without problems.

Without delay, Bill reaches for the his ear piece and holds his finger on the local communication switch.

“Bob, Reactor #3 has a power fluctuation and is producing less power than usual. Kindly give it a go-through. We can't risk a power outage in the middle of planetary transfer.â€Â

Floating through the tight spaces of the LFO tanks and power lines was the ship's engineer, Bob, in his EVA suit. Hearing the navigator's advice, he slowly kicks down on the panel below and propels himself up towards the direction of Reactor Three. Despite the obvious cramped spaces that led to the unstable reactor, Bob had been accustomed to the job. He calmly maneuvers himself and squeezes easily through the space.

As he surfaced from the hole he went through, a blue haze of light gently shines on his visor. In front of him was the third reactor Bill was talking about. One of the cylinders that spun the reactor had jammed, therefore creating the power fluctuation. He pats his left pocket, reaches for his wrench, and gently smacks the idle cylinder a few times until it started spinning again.

“Bill,†the engineer rests his back on the panel behind him. “It's done. Cylinder wasn't spinning properly and needed a good smack in the face with my trusty buddy over here. Do a reactor start-up cycle once we get to port.â€Â

“Ten-four. Tango much, Bob.†Bill slowly reclines back on his chair as all the post-transfer checks were done. There was only one last thing to do before he could go to his cryo-tank. He reaches for the communications panel and presses the 'send' button.

“Commodore,†Bill said in relief. “Ship is prepped and running well. We're ready for slumber.â€Â

In the dimly-lit and scarcely furnished captain's chamber, Commodore Jebediah sat silently on his desk. On his left hand he held a portrait of his father and brothers, while his right held a brown leather journal. He slowly looks up and turns his head towards the computer screen on the wall.

“Abel, wake up.â€Â

“GOOD EVENING, COMMODORE JEBEDIAH.†An electronic voice squawked from the monitor's speaker, as the ship's Artificial Intelligence woke up from its hibernation. “HOW MAY ASSIST YOU?â€Â

“Record all post-transfer checks, start up ship automation, and open a new captain's log.â€Â

“AFFIRMATIVE. NOW COMPILING CHECKLIST. COMPILED. OPENING CAPAIN'S LOG APPLICATION... APPLICATION IS NOW READY.â€Â

“Start recording.†Jebediah, with both mementos in hand, drifts towards the cryo-tank embedded on the wall and sits on its lid. A large red circle popped up on the monitor with the words 'Recording' all written in upper case.

Commodore Jebediah, KUNV Sword of the Orient

Captain's Log: Kerbol-date 2033.4.7

Today is the second anniversary of the Treaty of Kerbylon-1: the end of the decade-long Kerbol Colonial War; a selfish war fought because of the misunderstanding of bigwigs. Many lives were lost, including my father and two brothers. I was the last of my father's lineage, and now became a Union Mariner myself.

The Capitol by now would've been filled with people watching the colorful floats parade throughout the city, each representing the first four loyal colonies that fought alongside the Union during the war. The air would've been filled with confetti, and cheers, and music would've echoed throughout the metropolis.

Alas, all we could do right here to celebrate this 'peace' was look unto the void as our ship drifts towards Duna. My navigator, Bill, estimated that it would take us approximately 65 days till we reach its sphere of influence. We have pre-programmed the ship's on-board computer to set a rendezvous burn with Duna Naval Station – 3, and hopefully get briefed with the local situation we were tasked to assist them with.

I wish my father could see me right now, sailing this vessel through the stars and beyond. I wish I could be with my family and live happily under the blanket of the stars and constellations that clutter our very eyes.

Alas, all that's left is myself.

“End recording. Prepare my cryo-tank. Set defrost time to our estimated arrival time to Duna's SOI.â€Â

“AFFIRMATIVE. KERBIN TIME IS 8:57 PM. COMMODORE JEBEDIAH WILL BE AWAKENED FROM CRYO-SLEEP IN 64 DAYS, 18 HOURS, AND 27 SECONDS. DO YOU WISH TO APPLY THIS SETTING TO ALL CREW MEMBERS?â€Â

“It's their discretion.†Jebediah opens the cryo-tank's lid and lies down on the soft cushions that layered its innards.

“AFFIRMATIVE. REST WELL, COMMODORE.â€Â

“Take care of the ship for me, Abel.†He holds the mementos of his family close to his heart as the lid closed. The frost slowly covered the glass, and only a silhouette of the sleeping commodore could be seen through it.

fUQ5cfZ.jpg

Septerra Systems – Mikrostar BIOS v6.00AI

Copyright © 2005 – 2033, Septerra Space Development Corporation

Automated Bio-Electronic Liaison v3.01 05/29/2033

Main Processor : Wenrher Ascension(t) Processor 990A

Memory Testing : 2004459T

CPU0 Memory Information : Multi Channel, 4k-bit

Loading ABEL

Loaded: \ABEL\System\Boot\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\catrootA\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\catrootB\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\catrootC\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\catrootD\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\catrootE\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\config\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\DriversA\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\DriversB\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\DriversC\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\DriversD\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\DriversE\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\Mikrostar\

Loaded: \ABEL\System\Persona\

ABEL Loaded

Starting ABEL... Error. ABEL is asleep.

Waking ABEL... Complete.

Starting ABEL...

ABEL SLEEP CYCLE HALTED. RESTART SUCCESS.

ABEL IS ACTIVE. INITIALIZING IN-FLIGHT CHECKLIST.

COMPLETED. KUNV SWORD OF THE ORIENT SYSTEMS OPERATIONAL.

ABEL IS NOW SEARCHING FOR AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORK.

CONNECTION FOUND. CONNECTING... ENCRYPTION CODE REQUIRED.

SENDING AUTHORIZED CODE. APPROVED.

CONNECTING...

CONNECTED TO WIRELESS NETWORK: KUAF-NEF-ZB577

ABEL IS NOW CHECKING FOR UPDATES...

NEW UPDATES FOUND. DOWNLOADING...

DOWNLOAD COMPLETE. NOW INSTALLING UPDATE 2031165...

COMPLETED. UPDATE CHANGELOG FOLLOWS:

1 – MISSION UPDATE

2 – SECTOR STATUS UPDATE

3 – NAVIGATION SYSTEM UPDATE

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

READING UPDATE 1... DETAILS FOLLOW:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CdoEPAy.png?1

Kerbin Union Armed Forces – Naval Expeditionary Force

URGENT MESSAGE

Attention to all vessels en route to Duna Naval Station – 3:

Duna Naval Station – 3 is under siege by unmarked vessel. Station has sustained damage, and may not last long. Last known automated message from station follows:

ABEL – AUTOMATED MESSAGING SYSTEM

Duna Naval Station – 3

Station under attack by multiple heavily armed vessel. Total count of assailants: 4. No IFF signature recorded. No visual cues recorded or identified. Assailants' alignment is unknown. Point defense systems now active.

Station requesting immediate assistance.

This message was automatically sent. Do not reply

END OF AUTOMATED MESSAGE.

Main priority is personnel rescue and retrieval. Use of deadly force is authorized.

Signed,

Admiral Scott

KUAF – NEF, 3rd Fleet

READING UPDATE 2... DETAILS FOLLOW:

CdoEPAy.png?1

URGENT MESSAGE

Attention, all Personnel:

Due to the siege of Duna Naval Station – 3 and other recent attacks around its orbit, the planet of Duna will placed under a State of Emergency. All civilian vessel going in and out of Duna's SOI must go through a thorough security pat down in order for them to be cleared.

State of Emergency shall be lifted once situation around Duna's orbit eases down.

Signed,

Admiral Scott

KUAF – NEF, 3rd Fleet

READING UPDATE 3... NEW NAVIGATION POINT SET.

BEGINNING COURSE ADJUSTMENT BURN IN TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES.

CREW WILL NOT BE AWAKENED FROM CRYO-SLEEP. NO ORDERS FOUND.

SHIP SHALL STAY UNDER AUTOMATED CONTROL. ABEL HAS CONTROL.

czXWhbP.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.