Project Arctic Film- Be Part Of Something Great

Vagani

Name: Zekes

Job: Builder

Why do you want to do this job: I can pretty much build anything.... as long as part count is not a constraint ;P

Previous Work: CEO of largest Kerbal Company for 2 years, made several KSP vids and am currently working on a battle series.

Sign me up as a builder! I can pretty much build anything.... as long as part count is not a constraint ;P

oh course, zekes why wouldn't we want you, this is going to be the best film ever, can somebody persuade nassault to come have a look?

Simiel Black chiming in!

While I would love to be a part of this, I just hope everyone involved realises the amount of time it would take to create a professional looking feature length movie.

This took about 50 hours, in total. But it was just me, and in fairness and critique it's not that professional. You can also view the rest of my KSP work in my channel.

I'd be willing to get involved and get right up to my neck in every aspect of this project, as a scriptwriter (I've written two novels) technical director and producer. However, I'll get involved ONLY if there's a commitment to putting together something of a level of quality that puts all of Nassault's work to shame and then some.

Questions and thoughts I have.

Continuity

Is someone going to be co-ordinating this? Everyone who films ideally needs to use the same base install with exactly the same mods. Filming at the same resolution, using the ambient light plugin at the same level? This will be needed to prevent obvious visual differences.

Location management - Is the entirety of the film arctic based? Obviously this ties in with script writing but failing to plan is a plan to fail. Also, and hour+ of arctic filming is going to be stark and may make people bored. Ideally you need some kind of scatter, rocks, outcrops, glaciers. I believe scatter is procedurally generated, so that would vary from user to user and also between filming sessions?

Mods and Plugins

Kerbal "emotion" - long has the idea been floating in my head of some kind of plugin that would let me control the base "face" of Kerbals, but without any control, kerbals generally just sit there with a dumb face on unless you make them jump, especially on Kerbin.

Ambient light plugin - a must, filming, editing and Youtube, all generally slightly darken footage. Also anything at night is going to be almost unrecognisable in the arctic without it.

Better Atmospheres? The aurora is pretty, but dominant in the sky at the north pole, you might want to get one of the advertisers to get in touch with the modders, or get someone to work on this, because you'll need this working at top efficiency (or a mod like it) to do all the snow/fog effects you seem want in your first scene.

Infernal robotics - The ability to have a moving piece of scenery would be useful - and visually interesting, even if it's a rotating satellite atop a building. Something similar is probably a high priority.

KerbCAM or CameraTools? You're probably going to want both as they stand, though I am talking to Huin, (manager of KerbCAM) about some improvements, but there's no timescale on that. You might want to get the scriptwriters to work with someone in an experienced filming background using these mods, as something like a camera falling down (scene one) is going to be hard to manufacture the way it's written.

Editing

Ideally, everyone would use the same editor, because video discontinuity is going to be the biggest turn-off for a viewer we're hoping to be hooking in for a long time. - Maybe saddle one person with this job to prevent glitchy or overtly different transitions.

SFX. Post game FX are going to be a difficult thing, depending on script. Stuff like screen in screen, it needs to be animated frame by frame, which is a time consuming process, moreso with a moving camera but static camerawork went out of fashion about 60 years ago. Something again that needs to be co-ordinated between the editor(s) and scriptwriters.

Edited by glen.mack

Hi guys, This looks like a great project!

If I where to offer my services as builder what would we be asked to build?

We dont know yet, the script hasn't been finished

If division worked in this case(:() then that's only about 3 hours a piece.

Is that you joining or...

I *MAY* be able to be a builder, but I am busy with a few other crafts currently.

Ok labhouse, thanks I'll put you down

Simiel Black chiming in!

While I would love to be a part of this, I just hope everyone involved realises the amount of time it would take to create a professional looking feature length movie.....

....SFX. Post game FX are going to be a difficult thing, depending on script. Stuff like screen in screen, it needs to be animated frame by frame, which is a time consuming process, moreso with a moving camera but static camerawork went out of fashion about 60 years ago. Something again that needs to be co-ordinated between the editor(s) and scriptwriters.

Can I put you down as a director, we have a few people who do this thing regularly and so I think you'd be a great asset to the team, I know that it is going to take hours, but that is why we are assembling a massive team, as for the mods and save files, I was think we just have one as then there is no difference, and when somebody creates a scene they send the save to me and I update the download.

As for the mods that we need, yeah we need to get all of those sorted, but that is why I am getting scriptwriters, so that we can see what mods we need.

As for the question about the location, only the first section of the film is in the arctic, then it is spread around the kerbin system and all. Overall it should be a good film, and a lot of commitment needs to be put into it by me, which i am willing to do as the end result maybe amazing.

It's an ongoing project only starting this year so...

oh course, zekes why wouldn't we want you, this is going to be the best film ever, can somebody persuade nassault to come have a look?

I'll have a chat about it with him once he gets online. Speaking of getting Nick involved, him and I have been planning to make a joint channel. I understand if you'd rather put the film somewhere else but could it be an idea to put it on there?

Simiel Black chiming in!

While I would love to be a part of this, I just hope everyone involved realises the amount of time it would take to create a professional looking feature length movie.

This took about 50 hours, in total. But it was just me, and in fairness and critique it's not that professional. You can also view the rest of my KSP work in my channel.

I'd be willing to get involved and get right up to my neck in every aspect of this project, as a scriptwriter (I've written two novels) technical director and producer. However, I'll get involved ONLY if there's a commitment to putting together something of a level of quality that puts all of Nassault's work to shame and then some.

Questions and thoughts I have.

Continuity

Is someone going to be co-ordinating this? Everyone who films ideally needs to use the same base install with exactly the same mods. Filming at the same resolution, using the ambient light plugin at the same level? This will be needed to prevent obvious visual differences.

Location management - Is the entirety of the film arctic based? Obviously this ties in with script writing but failing to plan is a plan to fail. Also, and hour+ of arctic filming is going to be stark and may make people bored. Ideally you need some kind of scatter, rocks, outcrops, glaciers. I believe scatter is procedurally generated, so that would vary from user to user and also between filming sessions?

Mods and Plugins

Kerbal "emotion" - long has the idea been floating in my head of some kind of plugin that would let me control the base "face" of Kerbals, but without any control, kerbals generally just sit there with a dumb face on unless you make them jump, especially on Kerbin.

Ambient light plugin - a must, filming, editing and Youtube, all generally slightly darken footage. Also anything at night is going to be almost unrecognisable in the arctic without it.

Better Atmospheres? The aurora is pretty, but dominant in the sky at the north pole, you might want to get one of the advertisers to get in touch with the modders, or get someone to work on this, because you'll need this working at top efficiency (or a mod like it) to do all the snow/fog effects you seem want in your first scene.

Infernal robotics - The ability to have a moving piece of scenery would be useful - and visually interesting, even if it's a rotating satellite atop a building. Something similar is probably a high priority.

KerbCAM or CameraTools? You're probably going to want both as they stand, though I am talking to Huin, (manager of KerbCAM) about some improvements, but there's no timescale on that. You might want to get the scriptwriters to work with someone in an experienced filming background using these mods, as something like a camera falling down (scene one) is going to be hard to manufacture the way it's written.

Hey Simiel, I wouldn't be worried about the quality of the film or how fast we can get it done. I'll be taking control of that, and fortunately I don't allow for less than the best... see what I did there? :D. Anyway, here's a few things I've done in the past few months, I'm sure they'll meet your requirements. This is the level of quality I'm expecting the film to be and then some. I'm also planning to get some of my cinematic buddies involved with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GK-rE0jW40

You make some pretty good points about the mods - the recorders and VFX artists will have to read through the scripts to make sure what's written is actually possible. For now I think we're ok on that front though. As for visual mods, I'm good friends with Astronomer, I'm sure he can fix us up with some custom textures if we need it.

Ideally, everyone would use the same editor, because video discontinuity is going to be the biggest turn-off for a viewer we're hoping to be hooking in for a long time. - Maybe saddle one person with this job to prevent glitchy or overtly different transitions.

SFX. Post game FX are going to be a difficult thing, depending on script. Stuff like screen in screen, it needs to be animated frame by frame, which is a time consuming process, moreso with a moving camera but static camerawork went out of fashion about 60 years ago. Something again that needs to be co-ordinated between the editor(s) and scriptwriters.

It's true that continuity is important, but it might not be the case that the same software has to be used for every scene - you'd be surprised. However it is the case that it would make much more sense to have one editor, I'd be up for the job.

static camerawork went out of fashion about 60 years ago

But it's making a come back ;)

I'd love to take part in this!

I'd be happy to give the position of builder a go, although my computer may struggle a little with some of the larger ships. To give you an idea of some of the ships I make, here is a link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvqcdNmNPMnvPN8ecGahvIw

Let me know if I'm wanted in this project! :D

P.S. I'm a sausage (HatBat made me say this)

I'm in, I'll be a director, but don't feel like you can't give me a few extra things on top of directing as I'm happy to help with everything.
Well the director is going to be doing a bit of everything

Revised a bit of the first scene to make it a bit more storyish

Project Arctic

Scene 1 Revised--------------------------------------------------------------13/11/14

It is 1784, a team of two explorers, Amundsen and Falcon Kerman, are on a journey to the North Pole, their mission is to be the first Kerbals to reach the pole. They are wearing thick woolly coats and are travelling by sledge with the rest of their gear.

The sledge is worn and so textures will need to designed for it. Falcon is pulling the sledge whilst Amundsen is ahead, leading the way

Film starts with a blowing wind noise passing passed the camera on the right speaker. There is a snow effect on the camera and there is also fog to represent a snow storm. The camera is looking across the ice of the North Pole of Kerbin. Camera switches to another position revealing the nothingness of the Arctic.

The sound of footsteps and pulling fades in from the right speaker; there is also a ringing of metal (Like a series of bells). Amundsen appears on the right of the screen with Falcon appearing 5-10 seconds later, they both walk slowly until they reach the right of the screen.

The sledge is worn and so textures will need to designed for it. Falcon is pulling the sledge whilst Amundsen is ahead, leading the way.

The camera switches to a first person camera of Amundsen to make it look like you are looking through his eyes. The camera pans left and right slowly.

I'm not 100% happy with it, especially my awful way of describing things XD but thats why we have script writers, also can somebody make us a teamspeak server, i have no idea how to do it?

Name: Look left. It's PenguinsMeep. :P

Job: Advertiser

Why do you want to do this job: I am active on the ksp forums and I could raise attention about this project.

Previous Work: Well, I can create some decent vector art, like my current signature and avatar. I could modify my signature and make banners.

Guest Brody_Peffley

Name: Brody_Peffley

Job: Set Creator

Why do you want to do this job: Im interested in this job because It seems like a rare job that no one will ever do, but Im up for a challenge! Also knowing that I'm a lot better building stationary objects then moving ones can put my skill to use.

Previous Work: Never had any previous work. I used to work for the group of people who made kraken drives. Still know how to make one :)

I can be a recorder. My cinematics so far aren't amazing, but I can get some gorgeous shots. I'm too shy to be a director. Voice actor, co-director and recorder are my domains though. If there's space left, I'd love to be a part of this grand project. Here's a pic of a beauty shot of mine. My cinematic should be finished in a week so the moving shot will be available on my channel if you're interested.

XSTB4Wi.png?1

Edited by One-Way Films

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.