The Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge [closed to new entries]

Sounds fair, but i wouldn't compare KER with auto-pilot, auto-docking, auto-aiming and i don't know what else MJ does.

Engineer only gives stats.

Agreed. They both allow for better ship design, although MJ does have a few more tricks up its sleeve. As I said in the OP, one of the goals of this challenge is to accommodate a wide variety of play styles.

Obi_juan, thegab is partially correct. This challenge is all about space stations in orbit, not ground bases on the surface. Your ground bases, while laudable, generally won't count towards your point total.

Yes, I know, don't worry about that.

As I said before I'm playing to make a perfect colonization of all the Kerbol system. That was only my first version of the space station + ground base. The only points in this challenge will be only for the space station, but I did not build it as stand alone and that why I include the description of all, the important point of that base is had a transfer ships from the space station to the surface and the ability to survive without the continue suply lines from Kebin.

The idea of the Eve base is include a new module with "Extraplanetary Launchpads" and construct a rocket in the base to return to the space… But in the surface of Eve I didn't found Karbonite to produce fuel. I need to install karbonite+.

Gilly space station and ground base was better, enough Karbonite to refuel the ships and other materials to build more parts for the base.

I will put put together the Gilly base and make a few captures of the operation of the refueling vehicle, the capacity is very small, but been on Gilly is very near than be in the space.

But now I am more interested in the second version of the space station + ground base… I play only a little every day so it will take time.

I play with mechjeb because I can not take a prefect control of the ships while I am making the diner... more complicated maneuvers I usually made them alone, MechJeb perform them fine but spend a lot of fuel in special monopropellant docking the ships.

Edited by obi_juan

• 2 weeks later...
Let's say that my space station contains an asteroid, would it count as added mass or score?

Yes, it would count. ART is specifically listed as an allowed mod for the Modded division. You'll still have to wrangle it into a proper orbit, but it will count towards the station mass. In a similar manner, a station could be launched with nearly empty tanks, then filled using your favorite ISRU fueling method to increase the station mass (and score).

Edited by Norcalplanner

• 2 months later...

Well i went ultra stock, no mods/addons etcpp of any kind.. just did a simple ball type design and lifted it in one go

it has 80 mk-2 crew cabins and 1 lab so space for 322 kerbals

1387t at liftoff

334t in orbit around kerbin

TSOjCfH.png

that would give:

322*100=32200

+334*100=33400

+320*200=64000 (if you still consider mk2 modules comfortable as you did in the last entry that scored highly)

+500

-1387*2=2774

= 127326

*0.25=31831.5

http://imgur.com/a/8tDXf

Edited by perk

Perk, I've reviewed your entry, and need a few more photos before I can determine that you've completed the challenge and assign it a score. Please post some photos or add some photos to the linked album which show the following:

Number of kerbals actually on board the station

Power generating source (stored power appears to be going down over time in the photos)

The science lab, scientific instrument, and antenna

Once that's added, I can assign the station a score. Full props for the form of the station - it looks like that sphere that would get ejected from a Borg cube every now and then.

Edited by Norcalplanner
reviewed the entry

Love the challenge!

Regarding part welding, I'm inclined to put that mod in the Advanced Technology division, since it would potentially offer a significant advantage.

Part welding does offer a potentially significant advantage, but I kind of wish people would reconsider it as a "better-than-stock" advantage. To me, the most notable and by far the primary advantage it offers, is enabling you to do certain tasks without buying a $2000 computer. Lol, that probably sounds passive-aggressive. I should ask, is there another advantage you have in mind other than this?

Love the challenge!

Part welding does offer a potentially significant advantage, but I kind of wish people would reconsider it as a "better-than-stock" advantage. To me, the most notable and by far the primary advantage it offers, is enabling you to do certain tasks without buying a $2000 computer. Lol, that probably sounds passive-aggressive. I should ask, is there another advantage you have in mind other than this?

Right, I'll freely admit that I have very little direct experience with part welding. My thought is that part of the challenge is making an impressive station with few enough parts that docking a ship to it doesn't turn into a lag fest. Let me think about it a bit more. I'm open to suggestions - maybe a small point penalty for KJR and part welding instead?

- - - Updated - - -

No badge? You'll get more entries if your challenge has a badge. ;)

Lou, I have many talents, but art and graphic design are not my strengths. Ziv made some great badges, but he seems to be stepping away for a bit. If you want to propose something, go ahead.

If the entire station can land and return to orbit, that counts as a "shuttle," right?

That would certainly be interesting to see! However, the +1,000 points is awarded "if the station has dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s) that can take at least two Kerbals down to the surface simultaneously, and then return to the station". If there's nothing in orbit to return to, then it wouldn't earn the shuttle points bonus. If you want to make it so half your station detaches, lands, and then returns, that would probably be the upper limit for what is considered a shuttle.

I'll add that if the whole station can make it safely back to the surface of Kerbin, it would get the +1,000 for "if all Kerbals on board can make it back safely to the surface of Kerbin without a dedicated rescue craft being dispatched from Kerbin (dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s), escape pods, or the capability for the entire station to make it back to the surface of Kerbin and have all Kerbals survive the landing)".

Lou, I have many talents, but art and graphic design are not my strengths. Ziv made some great badges, but he seems to be stepping away for a bit. If you want to propose something, go ahead.

If you want a good badge, then I can't help you. If you have really low standards, feel free to use this (or not):

HZjB5jt.png

Edited by Lou

If you want a good badge, then I can't help you. If you have really low standards, feel free to use this (or not):

http://i.imgur.com/HZjB5jt.png

Lou, let's consider yours as a backup position. I think I may have just convinced my daughter to create something - she previously created the flag for my space agency, the Kerbal Administration for Overpowered Orbital Machines (KABOOM).

ExplorerKlatt,

Not directly. However, the payload mass fraction should be higher for a spaceplane, so the number of tons on the ground will be lower, so it will score a little bit higher in that aspect. That said, if you're able to put together a decent space station using only spaceplane launches, I'll happily give it some sort of special recognition. Another option would be to tweak the rules to give a points bonus for a station constructed solely from spaceplane launches. I'm open to suggestions.

This looks like a fun challenge and it has been quite a while since I built a station so I'm gonna go for it!

As a question I think I know the answer to but want to ask anyway: What about modding mods that are under-powered? Specifically I am a big fan of KW rocketry, the parts just look good in my opinion, but the CFG files have not been touched since pre-Nasa parts which means they are woefully underpowered. And so when I download the pack I go through and re-balance them. I do my best to make it follow the sort of Higher TWR = lower ISP methodology. And so the heavy lifter engines have things like 350 or 340 Vac ISP. (Usually still at a lower TWR than the KR-L2 because it's basically Overpowered.) What are your thoughts here? Would the modified KW Rocketry parts still be allowed in the mods category? Or is that just a total no go cause it would be so hard to decide fairness? (Obviously I can provide the configs if you need them to make the assessment.)

I think if you provide me with the configs, and TWR and Isp are comparable to 0.90 stock engines, then that would be fine as a modded division entry. However, if you're looking for large lifter parts that don't require editing of configs, check out Modular Rocket Systems and SpaceY by Necrobones.

Not done yet but if anyone wants to follow the progress the mission reports will go here.

@norcalplanner

why is part welding listed under advanced tech category?

Just curious since it doesn't change the capabilities of the parts or make them easier to get to orbit, it just lowers part count. That can be very helpful for some people that have lower spec computers.

Not done yet but if anyone wants to follow the progress the mission reports will go here.

@norcalplanner

why is part welding listed under advanced tech category?

Just curious since it doesn't change the capabilities of the parts or make them easier to get to orbit, it just lowers part count. That can be very helpful for some people that have lower spec computers.

ExplorerKlatt,

Looks good so far! I've made some SSTOs for crew and fuel deliveries, but have had very limited success using shuttles to get cargo to orbit.

Regarding part welding, I'm reconsidering that rule. Current thought is to put both it and KJR into the modded division, since they both convey a modest advantage in structural connections and reduced part count.

Edited by Norcalplanner
dang autocorrect

Okay I have decided to just keep it simple and build my stuff with MRS, SpaceY, and stock engines. I use some KW fuel tanks (in part cause I already had some lifters designed with them, and in part cause I like the style) and other parts from that pack that I didn't touch. I have also learned that Kerbals are the main source of lag... I have a habitation module that I flew a test flight and it was fine, fill it with Kerbals and my frame rate drops a lot... Does anyone know mods to address this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.