The Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge [closed to new entries]

ExplorerKlatt,

Looks good so far! I've made some SSTOs for crew and fuel deliveries, but have had very limited success using shuttles to get cargo to orbit.

Regarding part welding, I'm reconsidering that rule. Current thought is to put both it and KJR into the modded division, since they both convey a modest advantage in structural connections and reduced part count.

Norcal, you really should try flying this. Getting cargoes up to 42 tons to 300km orbit is easy with this thing. Simply adjust your fuel amounts in your external tank (watch the video) and you're good to go. Usually takes 1-2 tries to find the right balance, but really in most cases all you need to do is fill the center external tank and launch. If there was ever a noob friendly shuttle, this is it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108219-STS-4-Space-Shuttle-%28Stock-NASA-Replica%29-NEW-VIDEO-NEW-STS-Elevator-Updated-Subs!-2-27-15

Damn. I think I would have rocked this challenge if my station would have had space for just one more Kerbal - Can't add it anymore cause the save file got corrupted and I don't want to spend another 6 hours or so assembling this in orbit :P

Shadowzone, that's one impressive station. I think this may push me over the line into starting a gatecrashers or honorable mention category for stations which don't quite meet the challenge requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Norcal, you really should try flying this. Getting cargoes up to 42 tons to 300km orbit is easy with this thing. Simply adjust your fuel amounts in your external tank (watch the video) and you're good to go. Usually takes 1-2 tries to find the right balance, but really in most cases all you need to do is fill the center external tank and launch. If there was ever a noob friendly shuttle, this is it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108219-STS-4-Space-Shuttle-%28Stock-NASA-Replica%29-NEW-VIDEO-NEW-STS-Elevator-Updated-Subs!-2-27-15

inigma, I have yet to download another person's craft from this forum. That said, I'll give your shuttle the honor of being the first one I try out.

OK everyone, part welding is now allowed as a modded division entry. To be fair, I moved KJR out of stock(-ish) and put it into modded as well, since the two mods are somewhat similar in my book. I also placed a few other mods into various categories (NecroBones' SpaceY and MRS are in the Modded division, and PorkJet's Atomic Age is in the Advanced Technology Division), and created a section for honorable mentions.

Is there any modifier for doing this in Real Solar System? Because I'm planning to go all out on this and try to see if I can set up a station around Mercury.

Quick question too. The Original Post says "+200 per comfortable seat of station capacity (Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger cabins, or similar - pods, cans, and cockpits do not count as comfortable seats)." Than what counts as a comfortable seat? One of those external seats for rovers and the like?

Quick question too. The Original Post says "+200 per comfortable seat of station capacity (Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger cabins, or similar - pods, cans, and cockpits do not count as comfortable seats)." Than what counts as a comfortable seat? One of those external seats for rovers and the like?

Based on other entries I am pretty sure the dash separates 'not comfortable' from 'comfortable'. In other words the 'comfortable' seats are those in: Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger, etc. Any seats in those are 'comfortable'. Meanwhile seats in: Pods, lander cans, or cockpits are 'not comfortable'. I'm pretty sure the external seat would also be 'not comfortable'. That was my reinterpretation upon a second read because I agree it kinda sounds like almost nothing is 'comfortable'.

Is that explanation correct Norcal?

PS: A RSS attempt would be pretty cool, though it will be quite the challenge for Norcal to decide how is should affect the scoring especially if he hasn't played it before.

Edited by gm537

Creeping, gm537 is correct. The dash separates comfortable from uncomfortable. External seats, requiring the kerbal to be in a pressure suit the entire time, are definitely uncomfortable.

An RSS station would be quite epic, and would definitely get some sort of multiplier. You'd also be hit harder by the penalty for mass on the launch pad due to the smaller payload mass fraction in RSS. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that a 3x or 4x multiplier, applied after all other points are tallied up, seems appropriate. That said, I only know what I've read about RSS, as I've never actually used it. I would love to hear some input from those who are more experienced with RSS regarding what seems appropriate to reflect the added difficulty.

And I've just changed the wording a bit regarding the seats to make it more clear in the OP.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Added note about seats

Shadowzone, that's one impressive station. I think this may push me over the line into starting a gatecrashers or honorable mention category for stations which don't quite meet the challenge requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

inigma, I have yet to download another person's craft from this forum. That said, I'll give your shuttle the honor of being the first one I try out.

I am honored. Let me know if it was worth the wait! ;)

Based on other entries I am pretty sure the dash separates 'not comfortable' from 'comfortable'. In other words the 'comfortable' seats are those in: Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger, etc. Any seats in those are 'comfortable'. Meanwhile seats in: Pods, lander cans, or cockpits are 'not comfortable'. I'm pretty sure the external seat would also be 'not comfortable'. That was my reinterpretation upon a second read because I agree it kinda sounds like almost nothing is 'comfortable'.

Is that explanation correct Norcal?

PS: A RSS attempt would be pretty cool, though it will be quite the challenge for Norcal to decide how is should affect the scoring especially if he hasn't played it before.

Okay thanks, it just wasn't clear at the time :)

Creeping, gm537 is correct. The dash separates comfortable from uncomfortable. External seats, requiring the kerbal to be in a pressure suit the entire time, are definitely uncomfortable.

An RSS station would be quite epic, and would definitely get some sort of multiplier. You'd also be hit harder by the penalty for mass on the launch pad due to the smaller payload mass fraction in RSS. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that a 3x or 4x multiplier, applied after all other points are tallied up, seems appropriate. That said, I only know what I've read about RSS, as I've never actually used it. I would love to hear some input from those who are more experienced with RSS regarding what seems appropriate to reflect the added difficulty.

And I've just changed the wording a bit regarding the seats to make it more clear in the OP.

I've only used RSS for a couple of days now, trying to get into the groove of it and all. It is much harder to launch objects into space, and the farthest I've gotten is in an orbit with the Moon so far. The main difficulty is the gravity, so the launcher weight would be much much higher. I would say that a 4x modifier is good for RSS right now.

I've only used RSS for a couple of days now, trying to get into the groove of it and all. It is much harder to launch objects into space, and the farthest I've gotten is in an orbit with the Moon so far. The main difficulty is the gravity, so the launcher weight would be much much higher. I would say that a 4x modifier is good for RSS right now.

Yeah RSS is hard. I think the biggest thing will be mass fractions to certain locations. The current points system of +100 per station ton and -2 per launch ton means that a station which has a mass fraction of 2% only "breaks even". And stations below that are actually negative, thus adding multipliers would actually hurt the score at that point. (Of course there are points other than tonnage but you don't really want to be forced into bringing Bob, Jeb, and Bill just to try and cancel negative points.) I think that's the situation you would find trying to go to Mercury; it simply may not be possible to put 1 ton in orbit around Mercury with a launch vessel which is lighter than 50 tons.

What do other's think? I have only played a bit of RSS so I might be off on my mass fractions but as I remember in the real world just getting 4-5% into Earth orbit is basically great. Still who said challenges were supposed to be easy? haha

Yeah RSS is hard. I think the biggest thing will be mass fractions to certain locations. The current points system of +100 per station ton and -2 per launch ton means that a station which has a mass fraction of 2% only "breaks even". And stations below that are actually negative, thus adding multipliers would actually hurt the score at that point. (Of course there are points other than tonnage but you don't really want to be forced into bringing Bob, Jeb, and Bill just to try and cancel negative points.) I think that's the situation you would find trying to go to Mercury; it simply may not be possible to put 1 ton in orbit around Mercury with a launch vessel which is lighter than 50 tons.

What do other's think? I have only played a bit of RSS so I might be off on my mass fractions but as I remember in the real world just getting 4-5% into Earth orbit is basically great. Still who said challenges were supposed to be easy? haha

Aren't there multipliers for planets further away from kerbin? Won't those multipliers cancel that out?

Two thoughts on RSS -

First, I'm going to create an RSS install sometime in the next week or two to get some experience with it before deciding how to score it.

Second, no matter how I end up scoring RSS entries, I'm going to create a new category, the Altered Universe division. This division will be reserved for those running RSS, RO, 6.4x, and similar mods. That way, it will still be an apples to apples comparison within each division.

I'm going to create a new category, the Altered Universe division. This division will be reserved for those running RSS, RO, 6.4x, and similar mods.

Awesome, I love building big piloted orbital facilities and wanted to enter the contest, but I never play without RO!

[snippets of conversations heard through closed doors at the KABOOM administration building]

"...just might be possible if we use Mk3 parts..."

"...yeah, but it's gonna be a laggy sumbitch..."

"...promising partnership with SpaceY and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement..."

"...listen, I don't care what Walt's polling numbers say! There's no practical reason to build a station that can hold a thousand kerbals!"

"...but if we - Mortimer, are you OK? Mortimer?!? Somebody call a doctor!"

-conversation-

Now try a 1000 kerbal station with TACLS :cool:

I've been trying to draw up plans for a station big enough to do the 50 year TACLS points and for 100 kerbals, the life support really stacks up.

"...listen, I don't care what Walt's polling numbers say! There's no practical reason to build a station that can hold a thousand kerbals!"

A 1000 kerbal station would be pretty impressive especially if you actually had 1000 kerbals (as opposed to just seats for 1000 kerbals) as that seems to me to cause a significant amount of game lag. I hope to see what that looks like.

A 1000 kerbal station would be pretty impressive especially if you actually had 1000 kerbals (as opposed to just seats for 1000 kerbals) as that seems to me to cause a significant amount of game lag. I hope to see what that looks like.

For kerbal safety and framerate purposes, the station departed LKO with only six brave souls on board. We'll see if it survives the trip. Although it looks pretty impressive, it's not turning out to be much fun. The framerate is around 2-3 fps. :-\

Variation on idea for a badge, I won't be offended if you don't use it!

http://i.imgur.com/pdBWRm4.jpg

Lou,

I've given my daughter an ultimatum - if she doesn't finish the badge like she said she would by the end of the weekend, then we'll go with yours. I really want a badge, but I have NO art skills.

What's the multiplier for a sun station? (within the altitude range)

EDIT: And can you get the 3000 point bonus with a station fully self-sufficient on fuel but without using a life support mod?

TheMoonRover,

Are we talking about a sun skimming station right next to Kerbol? If so, that multiplier would be higher than Moho - I just need to figure out how much higher.

For being able to make fuel, you just get the +2000 point bonus. You would get +3000 on top of that if you had both refuelling and self-contained life support.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another variation. No rush on making a decision on a badge, I'm just doing this to amuse myself in between crashes on Eve! Feel free to provide feedback, too.

http://i.imgur.com/jqCRh0n.jpg

Lou, my daughter has created a first draft of the badge, so it should be finalized by the end of the weekend. I like what you're doing, though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.