The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Just tried the experimental release, and this is the best tool I have ever seen! It even automatically downloads all of the mods! Thank you so much for making this.

Although one problem, when I tried to run the stable release, the CMD window would pop up with some commands, and then disappear, although the latest experimental works just fine.

I just tried testing a KerbalStuff pull with netkan, and it dies on the license:

{
"spec_version" : 1,
"identifier" : "SpaceY-Lifters",
"$kref" : "#/ckan/kerbalstuff/352",
"$vref" : "#/ckan/ksp-avc"
}

NetKAN is throwing an unhandled exception when it gets the "CC BY-NC-SA" string from KS.

@NecroBones, I had the same problem. NetKAN is very picky with the license identifier. It has to be "CC-BY-NC-SA" (note the dash).

EDIT: You can override the license from KerbalStuff by putting "license" : "CC-BY-NC-SA" into your .netkan file.

@NecroBones, I had the same problem. NetKAN is very picky with the license identifier. It has to be "CC-BY-NC-SA" (note the dash).

EDIT: You can override the license from KerbalStuff by putting "license" : "CC-BY-NC-SA" into your .netkan file.

OK cool, I'll give that a try.

As an aside, Symantec Endpoint Protection keeps throwing warnings when I run netkan, saying only 5 other people have run it. Heh. ;)

I was able to generate my .ckan files with netkan, but when I tried testing them, ckan.exe couldn't find my KSP location, even though I had just set the default as per the instructions in the thread OP, and it created a CKAN directory there.

Hmm.

Anyway, is there a place I can submit the files? I don't currently have a login to github. I'm not familiar with it, and haven't needed an account so far. ;)

But I'm a little a confused-- Since it generates files with specific version info, will the system pull updates in the future? Reading through the instructions, it sounds like it should, but it just seems odd to submit files with hard version info and not the kerbalstuff path, if it's going to be auto-updating in the future.

Are there any plans to do mod submission straight from the tool?

NecroBones, Open an issue here: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues and paste/link your file there. Not sure if you need a github account to do that, but I'd recommend you to set one up anyway. It's quite easy and useful.

As for the KSP location issue, I think you have to explictly tell ckan which KSP install is the default one:

ckan.exe ksp default default

So the first default is the command (set default ksp install) and the second default is the name of the install you created with ckan.exe ksp add. I think I read somewhere that in the future, this step won't be necessary as ckan will automatically consider the install named "default" to be the default. Don't quote me on this though.

hmm... Put in my ksp directory but when I run the program it closes immediately.

Somehow got working through the command prompt... but I'm curious as to why it shuts down.

Now it won't let me get past the texture selection it kindof loops around the textures and TACLS ... very confusing this is, I though this was supposed to make it easier :P

*update* The gui makes it a lot easier!!

Edited by JT2227

Firstly of all, a huge thank-you to everyone who has been fielding questions, you're all fabulous people!

Secondly we have a new pre-release! This not only adds a much better upgrade system, but also has a GUI with improved stability and better error reporting. As a pre-release this will still have some rough edges, but the GUI is now much better at walking you through dependencies and module relationships, and the upgrade system will no longer try to uninstall mods which depend upon what you're upgrading. (Also yes, we definitely have plans for a ckan upgrade --all; expect that feature in 1.2.0!)

Note that the GUI does not yet use the new upgrade framework. It may still try to uninstall mods which depend upon whatever you're upgrading; that's why this is still a pre-release. This will be fixed when we make our v1.2.0 stable release, and possibly before.

CKAN v1.1.2 - pre-release - Cryovulcanism

Download here.

320px-Enceladus_geysers.jpg

Upgrade functionality (command-line only)

• ckan upgrade no longer tries to remove modules which depend upon the upgrading module.
  • Upgrades can take a version number. Eg: ckan upgrade MyMod=1.25. This also allows downgrading or re-installing of existing mods.
  • ckan list provides visual indications as to each module's status.

GUI upgrades

• Fixes to CKAN settings
  • More flexibility in setting KSP start options
  • Fixed a bug where the mod list columns wouldn't get resized properly on repo update
  • Users are prompted to install suggested modules
  • Errors are more consistently shown to users
  • Download speeds are more accurately reported
  • User can no longer inappropriately move to other tabs during installs
  • Dialog windows disappear less frequently under Linux and OSX
  • GameData is re-scanned when the user updates their mod-list

NetKAN

• NetKAN supports --cachefile= allowing the user to use an already downloaded file for inflation.

Internal

• CKAN cache is more compatible with external tools
  • We more consistently ensure files are downloaded before starting installs.
  • Preparation for adding additional free licenses to CKAN metadata.
  • Preparation for adding support relationships to CKAN metadata.
  • Preparation for targeted installs to GameData

Image courtesy NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute.

Today is the first day where I decide to launch a rocket for fun during lunch break, and instead of trawling the forums and kerbalstuff for all the current updates, I just run

ckan update
ckan list
ckan upgrade DMagicOrbitalScience
ckan upgrade UniversalStorage

and after that, of course

ksp

A dreeeeeeam come true at long last :cool:

When i manually install better atmospheres i get the kraken exception.

In order to get better atmospheres to work i need to download the real solar system .dll and the .version file.

CKAN autodetects real solar system and will cause a conflict with with custom asteroids.

Is there a workaround for this issue?

Greetings all, and Happy [American] Thanksgiving! :D

I downloaded this .exe, and I can run it from a Windows 7 cmd prompt. However, I get the feeling that this is capable of being run straight from the desktop, particularly given the screenshots accompanying this release. Running the file from the desktop "runs" the folder in a cmd window that flashes across the screen and disappears before I can do anything with it, and running it from a prompt seems to be very argument heavy.

Am I missing something here? Is there a GUI function that I haven't found how to access?

Otherwise, I am VERY excited for this mod. I've seen prior comments (can't remember if they were in this thread or the pre-release thread now locked) that there are API limitations for CurseForge-hosted mods. Does that mean that this draws from those posts' forum page download links directly? Or is it absolutely essential that mods be available via KStuff for this to work? Does that mean that non-KStuff (or non-CKAN-ported) mods need to be maintained the old way?

Related but not quite the same question: one thing I love about KStuff is that it emails me with mod updates, but Curse does not. Any suggestions how I should go about maintaining those mods for myself beyond simply revisiting the links periodically?

Thanks!

[...]

Am I missing something here? Is there a GUI function that I haven't found how to access?

[...] Does that mean that non-KStuff (or non-CKAN-ported) mods need to be maintained the old way?

Hey there :)

1) The GUI is currently enabled only in the experimental release: it's still somewhat glitchy and thus it's disabled in the stable release. Download the unstable release if you'd like to use the GUI (but remember, it's unstable).

2) The problem with Curse is that it does not give us an API that we can use to gather information automatically. For KS releases, we can write a file like this one and a bot will automatically go to kerbalstuff, find the missing information, and expand it to this one. The beauty of this system is that humans only write the file once (the first one) and then never have to touch it again: a bot can automatically find new releases and update the info as needed.

Curse, on the other hand, has no API: this does not make it absolutely impossible to add a Curse mod to CKAN, just very inconvenient. In fact, there are already some mods that are downloaded from curse (example), but if a new release comes out, it won't be available via CKAN until a human notices and updates the metadata.

1) The GUI is currently enabled only in the experimental release: it's still somewhat glitchy and thus it's disabled in the stable release. Download the unstable release if you'd like to use the GUI (but remember, it's unstable).

This is useful info, thanks. I guess I'll tinker with the command prompt version then. :)

2) The problem with Curse is that it does not give us an API that we can use to gather information automatically. For KS releases, we can write a file like this one and a bot will automatically go to kerbalstuff, find the missing information, and expand it to this one. The beauty of this system is that humans only write the file once (the first one) and then never have to touch it again: a bot can automatically find new releases and update the info as needed.

Curse, on the other hand, has no API: this does not make it absolutely impossible to add a Curse mod to CKAN, just very inconvenient. In fact, there are already some mods that are downloaded from curse (example), but if a new release comes out, it won't be available via CKAN until a human notices and updates the metadata.

I was mostly aware of the API / non-API issue. Does your explanation mean that using CKAN for Curse-oriented mods is the way for me, the end user, to go on this? Or should I periodically check CurseForge on my own, just because?

Also, on an overlapping but different topic: I already heavily prefer KStuff as my mod source over Curse, when a mod author provides a choice between the two. I also prefer Curse over the forum [though recently I wonder if this makes sense from an end user standpoint.] My question: is it a no-no (whether by hard set rules, or by good form and decorum) to just visit the forum page for any mod not already hosted on KStuff (and apparently CKAN, now) and politely ask the mod author if any thought has been put toward hosting on KStuff or listing through CKAN? I've done that for a dozen or so Curse-hosted mods, and of the only two replies I got, the first was receptive, and the second was standoffish to the notion. (Separate question: why would someone be standoffish to KStuff?)

I was mostly aware of the API / non-API issue. Does your explanation mean that using CKAN for Curse-oriented mods is the way for me, the end user, to go on this? Or should I periodically check CurseForge on my own, just because?

At the very least, it shouldn't be worse :)

My question: is it a no-no (whether by hard set rules, or by good form and decorum) to just visit the forum page for any mod not already hosted on KStuff (and apparently CKAN, now) and politely ask the mod author if any thought has been put toward hosting on KStuff or listing through CKAN?

As long as you do it politely :) I (personally, not as a CKAN contributor) have been bothering half the forum with this, I think :P And I was even worse when KS came out...

(Separate question: why would someone be standoffish to KStuff?)

*shrugs*

Do you like GUIs? Upgrades that don't suck? Faster loading code?

Great! We have a new pre-release!

Download v1.1.3 aka Puffy Planet

320px-Exoplanet_Comparison_Kepler-7_b.png

GUI changes

• GUI now supports new upgrade functionality, making upgrades much faster, more reliable, and with fewer side-effects.
  • GUI is now significantly faster, especially when loading.
  • Autodetected pre-CKAN mods cannot be selected for uninstall or upgrade.
  • Courageous users can no longer switch their KSP install to nothing

Command-line changes

• CmdLine waits for 'enter' after Y/N prompts, and now also works under Cygwin.
  • Fixed instances of lines being double-spaced under Windows.

NetKAN changes

NOTE: NetKAN is a tool used by meta-data authors. Regular users do not require it.

• NetKAN escapes URLs before writing download links.
  • NetKAN no longer tries to write out empty homepages in resources.
  • NetKAN can be passed an auth token for github API calls.
  • NetKAN more gracefully fails if a project has made no releases.

This makes Realism Overhaul installation far more simple. Thank you!

I have a bug: I can't install RSS now, because CKAN stops at installing FAR (0.14.4). I tried FAR only, but the same problem. All other seems to be fine.

On Saturday (must be that, I felt hangover after Friday) it was working fine. Maybe FAR 0.14.3.2 that time?

Just to spare time... Yes, I tried to delete CKAN & GameData folders, reinstall ksp etc. :(

I use Mechjeb and FAR and so I tend to run the latest dev build and also the Optional MechJeb Modules for FAR. I also like ckan and like to set up new builds easily with it.

How easy (or hard) would it be to see if FAR and mechjeb have been selected by the user at the same time and then give the user the option of the dev build and Optional MechJeb Modules for FAR?

I have a bug: I can't install RSS now, because CKAN stops at installing FAR (0.14.4). I tried FAR only, but the same problem. All other seems to be fine.

This is purely a hunch, but can you try installing it via the command-line? ckan.exe install FerramAerospaceResearch ? I'm going to guess that: (1) FAR is having a conflict because CKAN is trying to overwrite previously installed craft in the ships folder, and (2) the GUI client isn't telling you of the error even though it should.